Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ghostbase
Topic Author

MyAviation.net - Unappreciated Gem?

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:14 am

Given the recent upgrades to MyAviation.net I thought that, as the 445th photographer with 370 uploads, I would record my appreciation of the site.

Originally I used to send just my A.Net rejects to MyAviation.net however more recently I have started to look at each film when scanning and divide the scans between the two sites. I have quite a few photos which are rare or may be of interest to certain niche groups but, because of quality or motive issues, would never be accepted into A.Net. Increasingly I am using MyAviation.net to hold images of tail fin detail, nose art, and 'rare' aircraft (some of which are not represented in the A.Net database) and I think that this alternative database is quite a little gem.

Could it be possible to strengthen the links between the two databases? For example, if someone searches for a particular aircraft on A.Net why not have the results also point them to photos contained on MyAviation.net? A good example would be military aircraft with nose art. I know for certain that close-up photos showing the art will never be allowed on A.Net but would it not be good to offer A.Net visitors the choice of seeing this art elsewhere? The same could be applied to other detail shots or perhaps the 'artistic' shots which many say are discouraged by A.Net.

Anyway, I am going to keep using MyAviation.net as my 'second' gallery, I just think it is a shame that it is not anywhere as near as popular as some of the 'opposition' and it would be great if more could be done to promote the site (and that is no criticism intended!).

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Tom12

RE: MyAviation.net - Unappreciated Gem?

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:59 am

Interesting post. I agree that there should be a stronger bond.

What i keep thinking is what will happen when myaviation.net gets bigger than airliners.net.

The claim of the largest DB will be gone, because people will begin to upload al pics to it, as well as Airliners.net

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

lindy field

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:22 am

Myav is certainly a gem. It has 130+ of my photos whereas airliners.net only has three.  Silly

On a more serious note, myav would be even more of a gem if people didn't upload whole series of low-quality shots taken with their mobile phones.

Perhaps it would be useful to offer users the option of checking a box for a double site search in which the results from myav would opening in a separate window.

Tom12

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 2):
Perhaps it would be useful to offer users the option of checking a box for a double site search in which the results from myav would opening in a separate window.

What an immense idea!

That would be good, you might not get theyou are looking for on here, but between the two chances would certainly be higher!

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

Ryan h

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:41 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 2):

That sounds like a great idea. As I have uploaded quite a few photos of GA aircraft that don't appear on a.net something like that would make those sort of photos easier to find.

I have also noticed that there are many photos on myaviation.net that don't meet the quality standards for here but are still interesting photos.

[Edited 2006-10-20 01:44:16]
South Australian Spotter

henks

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the input and good ideas. MyAviation.net is still relatively new and there is so much more to do there. MyAviation.net might hold more photos in the database than Airliners.net at some point in the future, but I wouldn't worry about it as Airliners.net will still be the biggest site in lots of other aspects for a very long time to come.

We are currently busy working with important upgrades on Airliners.net, but I will have a look (when time permits) to see how to make the "gem" parts of MyAviation.net easily available to Airliners.net members and visitors.

Regards,
Henrik

GulfstreamGuy

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:13 am

That is a GREAT idea, Ghostbase!

I have (as of 28 Oct) 948 pictures on MyAv and I love it! I have 4 pics on A.net and I use both equally for searching. It would make PERFECT sense to link them both closer together.

GulfstreamGuy
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

SmithAir747

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 am

To date, I have 781 photos on MyAv, vs. 4 on A.net. So MyAv seems to be my album for my photos!

I would also like to see better linkage between the two sister sites--so more people could see my photos on MyAv as well as my 4 on A.net!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

eadster

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:04 pm

I agree here. I personally don't like the site but to have it included with this one more, would help the site alot. Why don't I like it? Well, the search function acts weird, its slow as to load and it has pop-ups.

Another thing is double, triple shots and even more. Just as an example (as I don't want to use anyone or their shots as an example) do a search for photos at Richmond (YSRI), New South Wales, Australia. Another is Wynyard - Tasmania (YWYY).

So in saying all this, I think that some type of "basic" screening should be looked at in the future. By basic I mean making sure shots a level, maybe some sort of standard when it comes to shots through windows and triple shots. No where near as strict as here but maybe something basic to "clean" the site up a bit. Many entry level software packages and even photo organisers allow shots to be leveled and enable basic editing so there is not excuse. This, I think, would improve the website 10 times over.

Just my thoughts

[Edited 2006-11-03 05:08:54]

QFA380

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:44 pm

Would it be possible for all rejected shots on a.net to go straight to MyAviation.net, or could screeners like tick a box saying, send this photo to MyAviation.net. Sometimes I look for a photo of a particular plane and because of the tough entry level into a.net, they are rejected.

Just a thought.