Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mariner
Topic Author

A Strange Website Problem

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:01 am

I'm raising it just out of interest - it doesn't really bug me - I just go away for half an hour and when I come back the problem has fixed itself.

BUT - sometimes, when I click on my a.net book mark it does all the usual loading stuff - and a totally blank (white) page appears.

That's it. White. All white. Nothing more. Nada mas.

The progress bar (Mac OSX Safari) tells me it is fully loaded - but there is nothing there.

Is it just me or my system?

mariner
aeternum nauta

JamieD

RE: A Strange Website Problem

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting Mariner (Thread starter):
Is it just me or my system?

It's not just you - I experienced this a few hours ago, albeit only for a couple of minutes.

flyingbronco05

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:59 am

I experience this quite often, too. Quite often as in maybe a few times a week.  Confused
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

futurecaptain

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:03 am

I experience this too. Seems to happen in the early morning hours (for me anyway). Quite regularly.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

N231YE

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 am

Same here. I posted this problem in this thread; Random Downtime Cause (by Jamesbuk Nov 7 2006 in Site Related) , and according to Johan, he said it was a buggy session handler. Probably due to the server upgrades going on at the moment...

I am also having problems with ads, I am getting "horizontal ads" in the "vertical banners" alongside the photos. It causes the photos to be skewed way off to the side of the page, yet the "Airliners.net" header, the user comments (if any), along with the "related photos" are all centered on the page as they should be.

[Edited 2006-12-15 03:37:05]

mariner
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:28 pm

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, it happened again today - for six hours.

For six hours, the website simply would not load or, if it did, a white page appeared.

I understand that the website may be busy - I used to get a message to that effect - but it is quite frustrating when all I get is - white.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Halcyon

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
I understand that the website may be busy - I used to get a message to that effect - but it is quite frustrating when all I get is - white.

I agree. I often have other times to get on, but late night is usually best with my current schedule. However, I find it bothersome when I am forced to surf the site at it's pace rather than mine. I hope this is corrected soon.

Lucas

bohica

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:41 pm

I'm having the same problem. It usually happens around after midnight eastern time.

PLANAR

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:56 pm

Its the same here.
This "blank white page" syndrome happened for almost 6 hours today - starting from around Midnight Eastern time.

I even reset my cable modem and my computer to just be sure it wasn't some faulty cache on the local machine acting up!
Flim-Flam Balderdash...

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:50 am

What a way to run a company.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bagpiper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):

there is a shopping strip with several popular stores in it near my house. However, the fronts of the stores looked outdated and yuck, so they decided to refurbish the fronts of the stores. Apparently, each store had an option of either staying (partially) open while there was construction going on, or just closing for the month.

The ones that closed for the month actually never survived.

The ones that did stay open had to close for a day or two here and there, because it was too dangerous for customers, but people understood that. These stores survived, and seem to be doing well now.

I look at it the same way here... annoying? yes. Neccessary? I don't know, but I hope so.

chachu201

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:18 am

Everyone, first of all, I want to apologise for the problems that have been occurring recently with the site. We are fully aware of these, and Johan is working as hard as he can to fix them. The site was down for approximately 5 hours this morning, but unfortunately, the main database server "got mucked up" (complex technical term) and is now not working. All attempts so far to reboot it have failed. Databases are therefore now on temporary servers which are less powerful than the masters. Therefore, at peak times, expect trouble.

Another, related problem that we have been having is trouble cooling the servers. The Air Conditioning units have recently been playing up, and this may also present trouble in the near future.

Once again, our apologies for these problems, but rest assured, people are running around like headless chickens trying to sort it out! If you need help with anything else, or you are experiencing other trouble, contact us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to help!

| Gabe

AirframeAS

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:25 am

I had the same problem last night for a few hours...gave up and went to sleep! Its working okay for me now...
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

mariner
Topic Author

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 11):
people are running around like headless chickens trying to sort it out!

Thanks for that. That's all I needed.

I don't mind the downtime - as long as I understand the reason. As long as I know that it isn't just me/my system.

Being a Mac/Safari user in New Zealand, it is easy to feel like a leper.

Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

LTU932

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Mariner (Thread starter):
BUT - sometimes, when I click on my a.net book mark it does all the usual loading stuff - and a totally blank (white) page appears.

It happened to be the day after yesterday and yesterday as well. It always started at around 0500 UTC time.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

jumpseatflyer

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:35 am

For me, the photo pages take FOREVER to load. I'm also using a Mac/Safari.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:00 am

Johan is working as hard as he can to fix them

Maybe it's time to hire a professional company to come in and tidy things up.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bagpiper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):

you didn't sign a contract to stay on these forums... honestly, you could just leave if its really that bad of an experience for you.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 17):
you didn't sign a contract to stay on these forums... honestly, you could just leave if its really that bad of an experience for you.

True. Why patronize a petrol station whose pumps break down several times a day?

Mark

bagpiper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 18):
True. Why patronize a petrol station whose pumps break down several times a day?

I wouldn't. I would just go somewhere else.

But maybe I'm weird...

administrator

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:23 am

This week has been extremely difficult with two servers crashing due to a malfunction in the cooling system. The temperature in the serverroom got very high and damaged two servers, one permanently. I have been working around the clock to the fix the problem but we're now down to four servers instead of five. Since the last server died early this morning and I moved databases over to other machines, things have been stable. I am hoping it will remain so or I'll have one shitty Christmas.

I absolutely hate unstable hardware more than anything else and it's the most irritating thing about running this website, angry photographers doesn't even come close. But a site of the size of Airliners.net is complex, you cannot just put it all on some service provider somewhere without very special server layouts and the quotes I have been getting are high with a cost of many hundreds of thousands of dollars yearly for just the bandwidth!

I will continue to operate the hardware myself for the time being to keep the costs down but the long term solution is definitely to outsource it all. We've already got four servers in the US serving images to US visitors.

Sorry for the inconvenience the downtime might have caused, I will get the damn thing stable and have plans on big changes for 2007.

Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

D L X

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Administrator (Reply 20):
have plans on big changes for 2007.

Oooh!!!  Wow! Can you give us a sneak peek?

N231YE

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 am

Your hardship is greatly appreciated. So despite your frustrations, at least it is worth something.

Quoting D L X (Reply 21):
Oooh!!!   Can you give us a sneak peek?

Sorry...this is reserved for the critics first  biggrin 

Also, has anybody just noticed that the user online/offline "button / light" by the person's username is not working?

Halcyon

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:20 am

Sorry for the inconvenience the downtime might have caused, I will get the damn thing stable and have plans on big changes for 2007.

Regards,
Johan

I'm pacified now, much thanks.

Once again, our apologies for these problems, but rest assured, people are running around like headless chickens trying to sort it out! If you need help with anything else, or you are experiencing other trouble, contact us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to help!

And thank you too for responding so promptly.

oldman55

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 22):
Also, has anybody just noticed that the user online/offline "button / light" by the person's username is not working?

Yes I have noticed that and now my Private message thing isn't working either. Are we headed for another crash??
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart