Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Moderation (or Lack Thereof)

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:18 pm

A little while ago after seeing that a thread that I was participating in was moved to the polls and prefs forum
PiperJet The Beech 2000 Of The Decade? (by UA777222 Dec 17 2006 in Aviation Polls & Prefs)

I did a little checking on the main page of the civil av forum and noticed a number of other threads that clearly belonged in Polls forum as well.

Is The A350 A Modern Day Caravelle? (by Stirling Dec 21 2006 in Civil Aviation)
Any Chance UA Will Upgrade Their 767's? (by Paneuropean Dec 18 2006 in Civil Aviation)
A380 As Airbus' New Supertransporter? (by RootsAir Dec 20 2006 in Civil Aviation)
Will Boeing Outsale Airbus This Year? (by LY777 Dec 19 2006 in Civil Aviation)
(by Dec 31 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Notice that one even has nearly the exact same title as the Piperjet thread only with different aircraft.

I then brought this to the attention of the moderator who had moved the Piperjet thread. He was kind enough to reply that he agreed that some of those highlighted threads should be moved as well. After no action was taken I sent another email to the mod in question in which he explained to me that do to some problems he was unable to do anything yet, however he promised that he would be shortly. This all took place around 11 days ago and yet still no action. All of the email correspondence was cc: to [email protected] so I would hope that the whole staff would be aware of the problem.

While I would agree that around the holiday season one can expect that some actions may not be taken by staff as expeditiously as they normally would I feel that I have been more than patient in waiting for some action to be taken. If one thread is going to be sent to the polls forum to die (which it arguable does belong in) It is only fair that other threads which clearly meet the criteria to be moved should be as well.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

174thfwff

RE: Moderation (or Lack Thereof)

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Did you try emailing the moderators personally before you posted this?

Moderators are not machines... there is, of course, not going to be 100% application to every rule on every post. There are many moderators each with just a tad bit different views on the rules.

Give those guys a break.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Thread starter):
I did a little checking on the main page of the civil av forum and noticed a number of other threads that clearly belonged in Polls forum as well.

Yeah, I still don't understand why this thread is still in civ-av after 2 SD's to move it to Polls:
Shortest Flight Possible! (by B773ER Dec 28 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 4):
It is the job of each and every moderator to enforce it without bias.

checkmark  A poll is a poll is a poll. There shouldn't be any hemming or hawing over moving it, no matter who is the author:
Southwest- Best Arpt. If Leaving Frisco (by Mirrodie Aug 2 2006 in Civil Aviation)
International Homo of Mystery

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 3):
There are many moderators each with just a tad bit different views on the rules.

I can understand there being being different views on insults or other things that are in violation of the rules, but how is it possible that you can make a judgment call on something being a poll.

Explain to me how

PiperJet The Beech 2000 Of The Decade? (

is a poll but,

Is The A350 A Modern Day Caravelle?

isn't.

VC-10

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 pm

AFP,

I have just searched my a.net g-mail account looking for all mails from your published e-mail address and cannot find any messages on this subject. My inbox goes back to 25 July while my deleted folder goes back to 28 Nov. The problem as you describe it is, if you addressed your mail to a particular mod and you cc. the rest of us in it is convention that the mail is for the addressee and everybody else has it as a Complimentary Copy

Can I ask why you didn't simply hit the SD button? We get many e-mails each day and for a simple SD the quickest way to get it seen is to use the SD button. That way the first mod to review the SD list after your suggestion will see and act upon it.

Happy New Year to all my readers.

[Edited 2006-12-31 13:30:50]

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 4):
Can I ask why you didn't simply hit the SD button? We get many e-mails each day and for a simple SD the quickest way to get it seen is to use the SD button. That way the first mod to review the SD list after your suggestion will see and act upon it.

Happy New Year to all my readers.

I would have however I was already in a diaglouge with said moderator. when he said he would take care of it I figured that a SD was not needed.

I see that you have now taken care of the problem, however I really am wondering why the mod in question didn't act on it as he told me he would. I sent him an email asking such a while ago but despite his activity on airliners I haven't received a response.

VC-10

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:58 pm

I don't know which moderator you are talking about, but as I said we get many e-mails every day and yours may have got overlooked. As I said, if you feel something needs to be deleted/moved etc the most efficient way to bring it to the mods attention is to use the SD button.

TVNWZ

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:18 am

The Polls and Prefs forum is a barren wasteland and a sure-fire discussion killer. And since almost all threads in Civ Av have something to do with some sort of Pref., Polls and Prefs is a waste of bandwidth.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 6):
I don't know which moderator you are talking about, but as I said we get many e-mails every day and yours may have got overlooked. As I said, if you feel something needs to be deleted/moved etc the most efficient way to bring it to the mods attention is to use the SD button.

I guess I had the understanding that an email to a mod and an affirmative response to take action would be enough.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 7):
The Polls and Prefs forum is a barren wasteland and a sure-fire discussion killer. And since almost all threads in Civ Av have something to do with some sort of Pref., Polls and Prefs is a waste of bandwidth.

I agree 100% however the rules are currently what they are.

srbmod

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 7):

So would you like the first page of Civil Aviation be filled with "What is your next flight?", "What's Your Favorite Livery?", "What's Your Least Favorite Livery?", "What Type of A/C Have Your Flown On?", "Your (Insert A/C type here) Flights?", "Service on (Insert Airline Name Here)?", "What Were Your Flights This Year?" threads?

The Polls & Preferences forum was created partially because at times the first page of Civil Aviation would be cluttered with these types of threads. For a number of years, it wasn't much of a problem since the membership numbers were a lot smaller. With there now being over 45,000 members signed up, some of the threads on the first page of the Civil Aviation Forum have last replies typical between 8-12 hours, and during some busy times, the last replies on the bottom of the first page are a few hours old. If we did away with Polls/Preferences and those types of threads were posted in Civil Aviation, we'd have lots of double threads. For example, say someone would have posted a "What's Your Favorite Airline Thread" that had fallen back to the second page of the forum. Then someone else comes along and starts another such thread. There is a tendency by some members to assume that if a topic isn't on the first page of the forum, that it hasn't been discussed. With the threads on the first page of Polls/Preferences there isn't as much of a chance of that happening, as not all of them are active threads, as they are locked after 14 days without a reply being posted in them (Just like with most of the forums.).

TVNWZ

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 9):
So would you like the first page of Civil Aviation be filled with "What is your next flight?", "What's Your Favorite Livery?", "What's Your Least Favorite Livery?", "What Type of A/C Have Your Flown On?", "Your (Insert A/C type here) Flights?", "Service on (Insert Airline Name Here)?", "What Were Your Flights This Year?" threads?

Why not? Nobody is forcing anyone to read the thread. I have seen several threads that started in Civ Av the way you described and many people commented--they found it interesting. And isn't that the point? The thread is then moved to Pref. and Polls and dies. It dies a quick death. But, it dies none the less.

And since you brought it up, what is this perverse concern about duplicate threads? I often find them interesting. I find different characters and personalities commenting separately in each. Many times the more experienced members will be going at it in one thread, while the less informed, more casual members will be expounding in the other. It's all about the exact same topic, but I might comment in one, but ignore the other.

Sometimes, it appears to me, many of these rules are only there to give the mods a job. No offense.

Jetsgo

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 10):
Why not?

Because those are nothing but unintelligent mindless postings that are completely opinionated. Civ-Av should be more than that - hence the creation of a Pref/Polls Forum.

It dies a quick death. But, it dies none the less.

That is nobody's fault but that of the posters here on this website. They know very well where to go to participate in those threads, but they choose not to. Hence their overall uninterest amongst posters.

what is this perverse concern about duplicate threads?

First off, it is a rule, and a rule is to be followed. There would not be so much concern if people would just follow the rules they agreed to when becoming a member. Second off, there really is no point in discussing a topic if it has already been discussed. Sure there is maybe an exception on a very rare occasion, but that right there is the key word: rare. Most of the duplicate threads invite nothing new, and only ask questions that were already addressed in the previous thread.

many of these rules are only there to give the mods a job.

Absolute nonsense that stems from a very backwards logic. I take it that you believe current laws and statutes only exist so they may provide work for police officers, district attorneys, and lawyers? The rules of this website are set forth to not only maintain the quality and health of the forums, but to pair with the very high reputation this site has. If you do not like the rules, "nobody is forcing you" to be a member of these forums.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 11):
That is nobody's fault but that of the posters here on this website. They know very well where to go to participate in those threads, but they choose not to. Hence their overall uninterest amongst posters.

Bull those threads when they are left in the civil av forum get hundreds of posts. It is just that many people don't bother to read multiple forums.

Could we please get this thread back on topic.

srbmod

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:59 am

Why not? Nobody is forcing anyone to read the thread. I have seen several threads that started in Civ Av the way you described and many people commented--they found it interesting. And isn't that the point? The thread is then moved to Pref. and Polls and dies. It dies a quick death. But, it dies none the less.

Define quick death. Over in Civil Aviation, if it falls off of the first page, the topic is practically dead.

Sometimes, it appears to me, many of these rules are only there to give the mods a job. No offense.

We're all volunteers, thank you very much. Calling it a job would imply we get paid......

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 11):

Very well put.

Jetsgo

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 12):
It is just that many people don't bother to read multiple forums.

Ding! Ding! Ding! That right there, again, is nobody's fault but that of the posters. If they do not bother to go to other forums, than it just shows the overall uninterest they find in those types of threads. If they really cared and felt it was super important, they would take the five seconds it requires and click over to Polls/Prefs.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

fxramper

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:44 pm

so sad...SRBmod is left to clean it all up, being the new guy...Go get em tiger!!!

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 4):

HOw about this one,
Will Southwest Outgrow The 737 (by T773ER Jan 1 2007 in Civil Aviation)

suggested for deletion almost a day ago and no action

GOTbound

Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I don't understand why my thread was moved to "Polls and Prefs"
AA 25 000 Miles + 250$ Upgrade Question . The question in the thread is about the time window for AA upgrades, how can this be poll or pref?

Clearly a specific question about Civ Av issue, not a "what do you prefer/which is the best" and so on question!

EK

VC-10

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 16):
HOw about this one,

Will Southwest Outgrow The 737 (by T773ER Jan 1 2007 in Civil Aviation)

suggested for deletion almost a day ago and no action

Go to the Forum home page

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/

and take a look at the description given the Polls & Preferences forum :-

What's your favorite airline? Who's the best airline CEO? What airports have you been to? What photo on Airliners.net do you think is the coolest?

The example you have given does not match that criteria

PA110

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting GOTbound (Reply 17):
don't understand why my thread was moved to "Polls and Prefs"
AA 25 000 Miles + 250$ Upgrade Question . The question in the thread is about the time window for AA upgrades, how can this be poll or pref?

Lately it seems that virtually any thread starter posed in the form of a question runs the risk of getting moved to Polls & Preference. My guess is that mods were skimming due to sheer volume and some get moved because they weren't read clearly.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 18):
The example you have given does not match that criteria

So then how does the piperjet thread meet that criterion? Both threads pose a hypothetical situation and ask for a response that is based on opinion and nothing more.

VC-10

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:22 am

First, I cannot speak for the mod who moved the thread and how he decided it was better suited to the PP forum but looking at the title without reading the posts:-

PiperJet The Beech 2000 Of The Decade?

IMO it looks like a poll subject. Possibly there were several SD's for it to go to the PP forum so the mod just moved it without looking - I DON'T KNOW. I will grant you on looking at the whole thread it is not a PP subject. Please bear in mind that we had some new mods starting at that time and one of them may have moved it. As the mods do not get notified of thread moves us 'seniors' would not be aware, not that that would guarantee that sort of error would be picked up.

Will Southwest Outgrow The 737, to me, just going on the title looks more of a discussion point.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 21):

IMO it looks like a poll subject. Possibly there were several SD's for it to go to the PP forum so the mod just moved it without looking - I DON'T KNOW. I will grant you on looking at the whole thread it is not a PP subject. Please bear in mind that we had some new mods starting at that time and one of them may have moved it. As the mods do not get notified of thread moves us 'seniors' would not be aware, not that that would guarantee that sort of error would be picked up.

Will Southwest Outgrow The 737, to me, just going on the title looks more of a discussion point.

I would think then that there should be more standardization on what belongs in the PP forum so that innocent threads don't get killed by putting them in the wrong forum.

Mir

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 21):

Perhaps the mods should then skim through the thread (at least the opening post) to get a better idea on whether it should be moved or not. Going by titles alone can be very misleading.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

We're Nuts

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:50 am

Well from what I can tell our moderating team is pretty inexperienced. In every thread I see flamebait, threadshits, no content replies, image leeching, table breaking, etc. It really makes this place look immature. When people have to pay to sign up, they deserve a quality read, and right now it isn't being delivered.
Dear moderators: No.

VC-10

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 24):
Well from what I can tell our moderating team is pretty inexperienced. In every thread I see flamebait, threadshits, no content replies, image leeching, table breaking, etc. It really makes this place look immature. When people have to pay to sign up, they deserve a quality read, and right now it isn't being delivered.

Well I assume you are carrying out your side of the bargain and hitting that Suggest Deletion button for all these violations.

In short - put up - or shut up.

Before anyone takes offence - If the cap fits.........

Just to add to the above, why is it down to the mods to clear up everyone else's mess? Why can't peer group pressure be applied?

Someone post flamebait - ignore it, or tell them it's flamebait and no one is going to play their game.

Low quality post - tell them it's low quality (politely).

You reap what you sow.

[Edited 2007-01-12 02:29:53]

We're Nuts

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 25):
Well I assume you are carrying out your side of the bargain and hitting that Suggest Deletion button for all these violations.

You bet, but my idea for the forum is probably more strict than the current rules. I would just ban people for stupid posts. A 1 or 2 day ban for a low content thread seems about right.

Just to add to the above, why is it down to the mods to clear up everyone else's mess? Why can't peer group pressure be applied?

Someone post flamebait - ignore it, or tell them it's flamebait and no one is going to play their game.

Low quality post - tell them it's low quality (politely).

Peer pressure is also an excellent form of forum moderation. Something like, say, image leeching, doesn't necessarily deserve a ban, but a public flogging would be appropriate.

The point is there are many ways we can improve the forums. Just deleting the offending messages is not cutting it. A.net has big forums now and they need a professional moderating team.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Thats great advice when standards aren't clear and emails to mods with promises for action net no results. AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN short RIGHT BACK AT YOU

Schoenorama

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:42 pm

And what happens if the poster of the flame bait, or any other forum-rule violation, just happens to be a moderator himself? I Suggested Deletion of such a post the other day and it is still there.

IMO, users with a A.net Crew tag besides their name should set an example for the rest of the users, whether they are posting in their capacity as a crew-member or not. Crew-members, particularly Forum Moderators, not complying with the rules they are supposed to uphold, are in my opinion completely counterproductive to the task of improving of a.net discussion quality in general.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

VC-10

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Schoenorama (Reply 28):
And what happens if the poster of the flame bait, or any other forum-rule violation, just happens to be a moderator himself? I Suggested Deletion of such a post the other day and it is still there.

In such cases please feel free to e-mail the Head Moderators at headmoderators @airliners.net and we will take a look at it. If we disagree with your opinion we will let you know why.

Quoting Schoenorama (Reply 28):
IMO, users with a A.net Crew tag besides their name should set an example for the rest of the users, whether they are posting in their capacity as a crew-member or not. Crew-members, particularly Forum Moderators, not complying with the rules they are supposed to uphold, are in my opinion completely counterproductive to the task of improving of a.net discussion quality in general.

I fully agree.

N231YE

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:30 am

I did that once (politely) pertaining to someone trying to start an A vs. B war, and my post was deleted.

[Edited 2007-01-12 16:34:04]

VC-10

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 30):
I did that once (politely) pertaining to someone trying to start an A vs. B war, and my post was deleted.

Unfortunately a lone voice in the wind will will run the risk of being deleted. If it was to work lots of people would have to recognise flamebait for what it is and make their voice head

Schoenorama

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 29):
In such cases please feel free to e-mail the Head Moderators at headmoderators @airliners.net and we will take a look at it. If we disagree with your opinion we will let you know why.

My experience with sending emails to either the moderators or the head moderators aren't particularly good. Either because the moderator subject of my complaint choose to handle the complaint himself (something highly inappropriate!), or because the subject of my complaint was a head moderator, reason for which the other head-moderators I contacted (you were one of them, if I am not mistaken) declined to look into the matter. As you suggested then, I moved up in the "chain of command" (which BTW isn't very clear) and contacted both Johan and Henrik, neither of whom have bothered to reply.

All this makes me particularly wary of following your advice this time and I know I am not the only one with criticism on how complaints are dealt with.

Moderating is about keeping discussions healthy, on-topic and as civilized as possible without limiting people's right to express themselves. Unfortunately, over the past few months I've noted how several moderator-related decisions have affected the latter, which IMHO is something completely unacceptable on any discussion-board. The Lebanon-related discussions is one example; the locking and/or deletion of entire threads over alleged flame bait while others are allowed to stay, including some very offensive remarks (the "Dear Islamic World/"Dear America" controversy) is just another example.

On an international site such as this, it is almost unavoidable that what is a general accepted opinion on a particular issue on one side of the world is interpreted as (highly) offensive somewhere else and vice-versa. Objectivity (and a bit of self-discipline!) is the key issue when moderating in such an international environment. Unfortunately, Objectivity no longer seems to be a priority which in turn has affected the discussion-quality of the boards in general.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

N231YE

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 31):
Unfortunately a lone voice in the wind will will run the risk of being deleted. If it was to work lots of people would have to recognise flamebait for what it is and make their voice head

That is true. The thread starter stated something along the lines of "...Boeing bashers can cry like babies over this..." (please note that I am neutral, so I don't really care over A or B). Anyways, I was the only one to post something along the lines of, "...you are trying to start a flame war, therefore, I have pre-warned you." My post was deleted a day later, but at least the thread only obtained a few replies.

VC-10

Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:08 am

With the benefit of hindsight, adding a short note for the mods in the post, explaining why you posted what you did would avoid deletion and alert everyone else to the 'bait.

We're Nuts

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 34):
With the benefit of hindsight, adding a short note for the mods in the post, explaining why you posted what you did would avoid deletion and alert everyone else to the 'bait.

Why not just have more mods working each forum? For the number of forums we have, there are ridiculously few mods.

VC-10

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:24 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 35):
Why not just have more mods working each forum?

Why not the members be more civil to each other? Why should there be a need to have moderators to go around clearing up other peoples mess? Especially when a majority of those people are purportedly adults.

We're Nuts

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 36):
Why not the members be more civil to each other? Why should there be a need to have moderators to go around clearing up other peoples mess? Especially when a majority of those people are purportedly adults.

VC-10 have you completely lost touch with reality or is this just temporary insanity? We're on the Internet, and it's a jungle.

Oh and humanity is inherently evil.

srbmod

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 35):

Why not just have more mods working each forum? For the number of forums we have, there are ridiculously few mods.

I've been to forums that have more members than this site that manage to get along with 5-6 moderators. I've also been to forums that have less members than here that have many more times the number of moderators as we have here (Many of the moderators there are assigned to moderate one or two forums). Personally, I think that the number of moderators we currently have is just right. There is always at least one member of the moderating staff online at all times, it may not appear so, but it is true.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 38):
There is always at least one member of the moderating staff online at all times, it may not appear so, but it is true.

Then why do clear SD's take for ever to be acted upon.
This was SD'd almost a day ago
787 Width, A Miss? (by Andhen Jan 11 2007 in Civil Aviation)

and clearly is a poll yet still no action.

VC-10

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 39):

What makes you think it still in the deletion queue?

I reviewed that SD mid-morning UK time yesterday, didn't consider it a poll and so left it.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 40):
I reviewed that SD mid-morning UK time yesterday, didn't consider it a poll and so left it.

Then you guys really need to do something about this criterion for a poll. Some threads asking for opinions are polls but others aren't frankly it is bull.

srbmod

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 39):

If you think that's a poll, then I have a bridge in NYC I'd like to sell you....

Some threads, based on their title, do sound like they should be in the Polls/Preferences Forum, but based on the content and sometimes the direction the thread has gone, should stay in the Civil Aviation Forum. To me, the following are good examples of Polls/Preferences topics:

What airline should I take to LAS, US, DL, or FL?
What airline(s) do you prefer to fly on?
How many flights did you take last year?
What are your upcoming flights?
What's your favorite/least favorite airline?
What's your favorite/least favorite a/c?
What's your favorite/least favorite livery?
List your 747 flights.
What the oldest a/c you've flown on?
What's the service like on (insert airline here)?
Who has the best First Class product?
What defunct airlines have you flown on?

One thing you have to consider is that even though a post gets an SD, it doesn't necessarily means it will get deleted. You'd be surprised at how many SDs are petty ones because User A dislikes User B and vice versa. If it truly is, in the eyes of the moderator who views the SD request, a rules violation, they'll take care of it. If the post, in their opinion, does not violate any rules, it will stay.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 42):
One thing you have to consider is that even though a post gets an SD, it doesn't necessarily means it will get deleted. You'd be surprised at how many SDs are petty ones because User A dislikes User B and vice versa. If it truly is, in the eyes of the moderator who views the SD request, a rules violation, they'll take care of it. If the post, in their opinion, does not violate any rules, it will stay.

Then maybe you can explain to me how a thread about If the piperjet is the starship of the new decaded is a poll.

We're Nuts

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 38):
There is always at least one member of the moderating staff online at all times, it may not appear so, but it is true.

Well considering the amount of crap that gets posted every couple of minutes, this just doesn't seem right.

VC-10

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 43):
Then maybe you can explain to me how a thread about If the piperjet is the starship of the new decaded is a poll.

Can you tell us why you are so concerned about an archived thread that the thread starter didn't even complain about.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 45):

Can you tell us why you are so concerned about an archived thread that the thread starter didn't even complain about.

Because I thought it was a good thread and was one on GA which isn't discussed much on the forums. I answered your question so how about you answer mine.

srbmod

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 44):
Well considering the amount of crap that gets posted every couple of minutes, this just doesn't seem right.

Define "crap".

Nobody can be in multiple places at the same time, moderators included.

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 43):

Since I wasn't the moderator who moved it, no. All I can say is that after it was moved, nobody suggested deletion for "wrong forum".

With many of you, it doesn't matter what the moderators do, you'll still whine and moan about how we do our job. You complain when we're "too strict" and complain when we're "not strict enough". You can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 47):
Since I wasn't the moderator who moved it, no. All I can say is that after it was moved, nobody suggested deletion for "wrong forum".

So if something is moved to the wrong forum by a mod it can be re-moved back to the correct forum if the mod was mistaken?

Regardless I am still suprised that no one has been able to give an answer as to why one is a poll but the other is not. It is encouraging that some moderators have chosen to engage in a dialouge on this topic however I find it interesting that the mod in question has not posted in this thread and seems to be avoiding it.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 48):
It is encouraging that some moderators have chosen to engage in a dialouge on this topic however I find it interesting that the mod in question has not posted in this thread and seems to be avoiding it.

Because the horse is dead. Retaking old terrain is a waste of time and energy. If I thought responding to you in public would garner a different result than was obtained privately I'd have made the effort.

After the e-mails on the topic, you're still not satisfied with the answer. I didn't move the other threads, after reviewing them and having other Moderators review them. As to that end, I don't know what else to tell you. You're not happy about that. We get it.

In all honesty, I believe what we have here is an Internet Personality Conflict dating back to long before I became a Moderator. You don't like the fact I moved the thread. not because the thread was moved, rather because I moved it. Others - including the thread starter - never uttered a word. You don't like the fact I didn't move any other thread you highlighted. Others never uttered a word.

Here's what I see. You don't like some of the things I've done as a Moderator. I can certainly live with that. I have no ego on such a grand scale that I think I'm perfect by any stretch.

But I'll tell you like I've told others. I made the right call, I can live with it, I'd do it again, without reservation. All it does is serve to improve the forum and help eliminate the detritus. If that's something you can live with, great. If not, I don't have an answer for you. If all you want to do is continue to be angry over something, that's your call.

I'm done with the issue . . . good day Sir.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND