MD11Engineer

RE: Why No EU Flag?

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
Quoting Sukhoi (Thread starter):
Hi! On the front of my passport it says I´m from the European Union but there is no flag on Airliners to display that, why?

The EU is not a country.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 11):
United States" has a flag in a.net, but why not the "European Union"?

Let me put this in a simple way so you can understand Wink
The USA is a country.
The EU is NOT a country.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 17):
Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 15):
Nor is Scotland.

Well, if you want to go that route then you can say Mongolia is not a country, neither is Portugal, France or Canada Yeah sure

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 29):
Europe is a continent, not a country. You can't have a European nationality i don't think(?) Therefore there is absolutly no reason for a European flag.

Nor is Scotland.

Scotland is one of four constituent countries. It is indeed a country.

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 42):
Primary I feel to be European and then German.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):

Sorry to hear that Sad

Well, unlike you I don't identify with the province I live in or come from.

Where is Scotland's foreign minister? Where are the Scottish defense forces? Where is Scotland's seat in the EU and UN?

As long as these do not exist Scotland remains a province of the UK, governed in all important aspects from London, if you like it or not.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

gkirk

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:14 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 50):

Well I'd hope you never visit Scotland then. We don't want your type.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aloges

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 51):

rotfl  Kirkie, you're overdoing it just slightly. Scotland is as much of a country as the 16 German "Länder" are, yet you never see anyone moan about the fact that we don't have our 16 flags to choose from here on a.net.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

smcmac32msn

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Too bad for you, Florida doesn't have 100 national championships.

Yeah, but they beat up on Runner Up U. Oh sorry...... Ohio St. all the time for the rest of us BigTen fans to give them hell about.

Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Braybuddy

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:50 pm

When you think about it, more and more people have more than one identity, or even dual nationality. If someone can carry two passports, it should be no big deal to give them two flags beside their member name.

MD11Engineer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 51):

Just accept the realities, that your status is not different from e.g. Bavaria or Texas (Texas got at least a National Guard) and don't pretend to be something else.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

skidmarks

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Huh!! I never got my Manx flag so why should we have an EU one? The EU is simply an excuse for a load of scrounging furriners to leech off the free and independant citizens of the united kingdom!  stirthepot 

I wonder if North Lincolnshire has a flag?  scratchchin 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

gkirk

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 52):

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 55):

With all due respect, both of you are displaying racist attitudes. Something which I do not tolerate.

aloges

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 57):
With all due respect, both of you are displaying racist attitudes. Something which I do not tolerate.

Care to elaborate a) when being Scottish became a race issue and b) wherever either of us seriously derided the Scots? Are you just that much of a jingoist?

LTU932

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

With all due respect, both of you are displaying racist attitudes.

I don't see anything racist in their remarks.

You're taking things too serious. Granted, you love Scotland, nobody denies that, but the fuss you used to do to get the Scottish flag on A.net, knowning that Scotland isn't a sovereign, independent country, has given you a reputation. I have no problems with patriotism (in fact, I'm a patriot myself, I love my country, but you don't see me make a big fuss about it), but in all honesty, what you're showing is that you're more of a nationalist than a patriot. And if there's one thing I hate, it's nationalists, because they (at least the political nationalists) use their patriotism (or lack thereof in some cases) to push through an agenda from which only they will benefit. I've seen it in Costa Rica with a certain political party. I, as a dual German-Costa Rican citizen, have seen the face of nationalism during last year's elections and even today, and it is a very ugly face. Just look at how extreme Nationalism has hurt my homeland of Germany between 1933 and 1945. Things have their limit, Graham, and you're taking it too far. So please, try to put your nationalism aside and look at the big picture.

Pardon the OT, but it had to be said.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 19):
The best thing Johan could do is get rid of the flags altogether

I second that. This should end the childish debate altogether. WHO CARES! This is A.net, not Flag.net.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Braybuddy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 60):
Quoting Gkirk (Reply 19):
The best thing Johan could do is get rid of the flags altogether

I second that. This should end the childish debate altogether. WHO CARES! This is A.net, not Flag.net.

Can't see that happening somehow. I'm inclined to agree with you, but at the same time, knowing where someone is from does give you an idea where the person is coming from politically. Sometimes you do have to use a political filter on these threads.

It is misleading though: the flag next to each member's name is followed by "from Germany", "from Italy" etc, when the person may not be from that country at all, or even have any connection with it. Flags should be fixed on joining, and only changed on application to the site. This would end the practice of people constantly changing flags. This feature is the most abused one on this site.

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
The EU is not a country.

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 29):
It is indeed a country.

Where is Scotland's foreign minister? Where are the Scottish defense forces? Where is Scotland's seat in the EU and UN?

Only geographical entities with an ISO country code should be allowed flags on a.net. Simple and obvious solution.

What is the ISO code for Scotland, again ? Ermmmmm....

biggrin 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

RobertS975

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 am

Nor is Scotland.

I dunno... Scotland has their own money!

semobeila

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Well, after all there is something called "European Citizenship"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 18):
so there's no reason not to have the choice available to members.

checkmark 

zak

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 pm

lett me add some spice to the debate  Wink

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 48):
User currently offlineGkirk From United Kingdom (Scotland), joined Jun 2000, 21814 posts, RR: 55
Reply 48, posted Sun Aug 12 2007 11:58:46 your local time (2 weeks 3 days 4 hours 30 minutes ago) and read 440 times:

Ach, just give them the option of the EU flag. If people are ashamed of their nationality, then I feel for them.

Quoting Gkirk:
From United Kingdom (Scotland), joined Jun 2000, 21814 posts, RR: 55
Reply 8, posted Sun Feb 29 2004 13:07:13 your local time (3 years 6 months 2 days 2 hours ago) and read 2591 times:

Nah, if anything, there should be England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland flags Big grin

i notice that kirkies request for union flags was filled, yet we still dont have "our" flag that represent the reality of many european citizens!

links to three and a half year old debates on the same topic:
Include Europe In Country Listing Please (by Zak Feb 28 2004 in Site Related)
Suggestion For A Coherent Flag Policy On A.net (by Zak May 3 2004 in Site Related)
10=2

Toast

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 pm

In the immortal words of Gustave Flaubert:

Quote:
"Tous les drapeaux ont été tellement souillés de sang et de merde qu'il est temps de n'en plus avoir du tout."
("All flags have been so much soiled with blood and with shit that's time to get rid of all of them").

I personally pledge allegiance to no country and I cringe at any attempt of being labeled as a member of a nation. Either get rid of all vexillological branding, or let me fly the Burning Bra, the Flag of Fuckland, or the Gonfalone of Gimmeabreak.  whiteflag 

And BTW, if you already allow such nonsense as the French Southern Territories or Svalbard and Jan Mayen, the conspicuous lack of the EU flag is incomprehensible.

And to all the "EU is not a country" crowd, maybe you haven't noticed it from behind the Hadrian Wall, but a European identity is already strong on the Continent and will only grow stronger as more people realize how petty and pointless European internal borders are. And no, the political consolidation of Europe will not take away your sheep or outlaw your skirts, so relax and offer no resistance while you're being dragged into the 21st century  mischievous 

Wink  Wink  Wink
 flamed   flamed   flamed 

Toaster  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

skidmarks

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 am

Well, I did ask for a manx flag, but nothing happened and I have a passport that actully confirms that countries existence, unlike Scotland.

Fortunately I now live in England - well, sort of fortunately! At least now I dont have to spend £300 just to get to a decent camera shop or catch a ferry to go to a different airfield!! Big grin

Andy  old 

BCNGRO

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:57 pm

I vote for the EU flag as well. I've been claiming my country's flag (Catalonia) for some time now with no success. That's why I'm exiled to the Andorran flag (you won't see my wearing the spanish flag anytime soon). However, I would be perfectly ok with the EU flag, I feel both Catalan and European.
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

swiftski

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:36 am

With all due respect, both of you are displaying racist attitudes

No.

Racist would be "you are Scottish so I don't like you" or "you are a jew so i won't talk to you".

Racist is NOT discussing the differences between state, province, country, etc.

That's like saying it's sexist to discuss Pete Burns (who I bizarrely met on Friday).

6yjjk

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 61):
Flags should be fixed on joining, and only changed on application to the site. This would end the practice of people constantly changing flags. This feature is the most abused one on this site.

Agreed. Remember that whole Prophet Muhammad cartoon row? Seemed like half of a.net was "Danish".

nighthawk

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:17 am

Cant we just have a text box where we can type in our location? Saying someone is from "United States" is pretty much pointless, its a big ass country, but if you could type in your location, you would soon find people living close to you that you didnt even know were on the site. Eg: "Miami, Florida", or "Aberdeen, Scotland".

I do like the flags though, and would like to see them stay in order for one to select their nationality, but I think the text next to it should be freely edited so you can type what you want.

or alternatively, as this is an aviation site, why dont you allow us to specify our local airport, as an alternate way of showing location?

gkirk

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:24 am

FWIW, can we get rid of the United Kingdom in our Scottish flags?  duck 

ajd1992

Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:41 am

Defence force = RAF, Royal Navy, Royal Army, SAS. Their foreign minister is the one for the UK - so it's not just the Scots, it's the Welsh one et al. For gods sake, our Prime Minister is Scottish now - doesn't that count for something?

They have a (very crap, might i add) football team, a rugby team and they make their own laws. I would say they are a country, especially since legally Scotland (as well as the Northern Ireland and Wales) are considered constituent countries of the United Kingdom.

American States, Canadian Provinces and German Länder are not constituent countries. That's why Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should get their own flags, and the aforementioned other examples should not.

I have no idea why the hell i'm defending Scotland. I've never even been there, nor am i even remotely Scottish.

da man

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 73):
American States... are not constituent countries. That's why Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should get their own flags, and the aforementioned other examples should not.

I disagree on one exception...Texas.
Texas was its own nation and therefore should have its own flag available here.
War Eagle!

ajd1992

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:53 pm

Even then, i don't think Texas should, because it [i[was[/i], not is. I Suppose if Texas got theirs, the other 49 states would have to get theirs.

Still, they aren't countries, so i say they don't get a flag.

aloges

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 73):
German Länder are not constituent countries.

Of course they are. The translation of "Länder" is "countries", and I should hope I need not remind anyone how Bavaria, Prussia and many others were independent just like Scotland once was. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are constituent countries of the UK and France, Germany and the UK are constituent countries of the EU - the former on a subnational level, the latter on a supranational one. Doesn't have a meaning as far as nations are concerned - there is no Scottish nation and there isn't a Bavarian one either.

[Edited 2007-09-09 17:55:34]

A340600

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:55 am

Is this thread some sort of joke?

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 44):
If UK members are to be treated as a special case and have five flags to choose from

Well, technically the UK individual does not have 5 flags to choose from. They have as many as everyone else, and people all over change them to places as they feel free, whether of any relation to their origin or not. There are hundreds, get over it.

The EU Flag is on my euro bills, on my cars plate, the EU will soon have a constitution and I would like to have the possibility to show the EU Flag here on A.-net. And I think that there are many others, who rather would like to have it.

This thread is a depiction of eurocentric nations and the way in which some of their residents have also taken up a much more proud attitude compared to the British (majority). We do not have or want (in the majority) the EU flag on our money, if we don't want it all over our number plates, we don't have it and we are not part of the Schengen agreement. The general feel over here is that we don't count ourselves as European, we often refer to people on the European Continent as "European" like the rest of the world.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Toast

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:41 am

Quoting A340600 (Reply 77):
We do not have or want (in the majority) the EU flag on our money, if we don't want it all over our number plates, we don't have it and we are not part of the Schengen agreement. The general feel over here is that we don't count ourselves as European, we often refer to people on the European Continent as "European" like the rest of the world.

So don't choose the European flag, it's that simple. I and many others would like to have that choice.

aloges

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Is this thread some sort of joke?

As far as I am concerned, it is at the very heart of it  Wink The "issue" could be taken seriously a long, long time ago, but these days it's a mere persiflage.

Quoting Toast (Reply 78):
So don't choose the European flag, it's that simple. I and many others would like to have that choice.

checkmark  However, you'd need to do an endless amount of moaning to get it - which, interestingly enough, is what brought the Scottish flag about.

Braybuddy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 am

Well, technically the UK individual does not have 5 flags to choose from. They have as many as everyone else, and people all over change them to places as they feel free, whether of any relation to their origin or not. There are hundreds, get over it.

You're missing the point: the UK is one country, yet it has five flags representing it on this site. No other country has that privilege. If UK citizens have a choice of two flags, there's no reason whatever for EU citizens not to have that choice. And even less for anyone from the UK to object.

And no, I won't get over it. Big grin

skidmarks

Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Is this thread still going? And still in Site Related? Sheesh, I must remember to check here more often! Big grin

Andy  old 

zak

Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:27 am

it is interesting that, in an area where a user feature (flag of xyz) seems to be requested by a sizeable amount of users, some members feel that, although their individual use of a.net will not be influenced at all, their political agenda needs to be carried over. it would seem more appropiate if those individuals could open a debate on "why the european union shall not be displayed on license plates/passports/money/coffeemugs" and leave this request for addition of a feature alone.
sadly, one has to conclude that the nonexistance of a e.u. flag, given the number and types of "interesting flags in system, is also a political motivated decision.
10=2

Toast

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 82):
sadly, one has to conclude that the nonexistance of a e.u. flag, given the number and types of "interesting flags in system, is also a political motivated decision.

Let's not forget who founded this website...

...and who's running it now...

What else can you expect from these people but

mischievous  stirthepot 

flamed 

Seriously now, what's the big deal with adding the goddamn EU flag? Could someone from the a.net crew please answer.

HeyMach

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:51 am

As have I argued since I first joined, EU airlines proudly display the European flag why can't we?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos F

View Large View Medium

Photo © Petr Popelar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wim Callaert - Brussels Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Moritz Meier

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan Lebeda

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose - AirTeamImages

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:39 pm

I feel the only way there's going to be an EU flag here is when every European country joins the EU, the EU forms a legitimate government that has power over all of those of the individual countries, and all the countries relegate themselves to becoming "states" (similar to the individual states in the USA).

When do you suppose that will happen?  stirthepot 
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Toast

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 85):
I feel the only way there's going to be an EU flag here is when every European country joins the EU, the EU forms a legitimate government that has power over all of those of the individual countries, and all the countries relegate themselves to becoming "states" (similar to the individual states in the USA).

When do you suppose that will happen?

And why would every European country joining the EU be a requirement? It's like saying the United States of America is not legitimate because not all American countries belong to it.  crazy 

The EU has a legitimate government. I hope you're joking, because I wouldn't expect you to believe that nonsense. The European Parliament is an elected body and every EU citizen has the right to vote. Many don't because it's so much easier to keep believing some mysterious guys 'in Brussels' impose whatever laws they want on everyone. Bullshit!

No country has ever been forced to join the EU. The fact that so many countries are willing to meet the tough admission requirements is a testament to how desirable it is to be part of the Union.

All government agencies in EU countries fly both the national and European flag, similarly to state buildings in the US. European passports have the twelve stars on them. License plates, aircraft reg numbers (see HeyMach's post above), product labels (Made in E.U.) all sport the European flag. The EU anthem is played on appropriate occasions. There are no borders between member states. You can live, travel and study wherever you want in the Union and you enjoy the same civil rights everywhere. The common currency is used in half the countries and will ultimately extend to all of them. The euro has become the world's second reserve currency within only a few years of its introduction, and will likely overtake the dollar eventually.

The EU is very much a country, and it's the only one in the world I'd ever dream of identifying with. And yet, its 400+ million citizens are ignored by the people who run a.net, who seem to believe places like Norfolk Island and Niue are more legitimate countries.  Yeah sure

aloges

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 86):
I hope you're joking

That guy: should be a pretty good hint.

Now, for a few technicalities:

European passports have the twelve stars on them.

Mine doesn't, unless you count the holographic image of the "Federal Eagle" which is surrounded by the 12 stars.

There are no borders between member states.

There are, they're just not controlled.

you enjoy the same civil rights everywhere.

No, you don't. A citizen of country A living in country B may vote in local elections, but not national ones of country B. Additionally, citizens of countries from the last two EU expansions do not yet have the same rights to live and work anywhere in the union due to protectionist policies of e.g. Germany.

The common currency is used in half the countries and will ultimately extend to all of them.

12 of 27 countries is only very, very roughly 50% and the UK and Denmark have an all-official opt-out. Sweden is a bit different, but then again no will try or would be able to force the Euro on them.

The EU is very much a country

It isn't. I'm very fond of it, I find just about all aspects of Europhobia utterly ridiculous and I see lots and lots of potential in it, but the EU is not a sovereign country... Scotland isn't either, by the way.

And yet, its 400+ million citizens are ignored by the people who run a.net

I do think there are bigger worries.

who seem to believe places like Norfolk Island and Niue are more legitimate countries.

It's based on country-coded Top Level Domains as far as I know. Johan simply took a look at the ccTLD list and gave each ccTLD a flag, then added the various UK flags after endless moaning from a select circle of UK members. Niue is only associated with NZ, by the way.

[Edited 2007-09-23 16:31:11]

Toast

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 88):
European passports have the twelve stars on them.

Mine doesn't, unless you count the holographic image of the "Federal Eagle" which is surrounded by the 12 stars.

But it says "Europäische Union" above "Bundesrepublik Deutschland". Passport designs vary, but they always indicate EU membership. If the EU were only a trade association, you wouldn't have that. After all, nobody's passport mentions "NAFTA" or "OPEC".

There are no borders between member states.

There are, they're just not controlled.

Same thing in the US. That's what I meant by "no borders". The city district I live in also has borders, but obviously nobody gives a damn about them.

you enjoy the same civil rights everywhere.

No, you don't. A citizen of country A living in country B may vote in local elections, but not national ones of country B.

An American can legally drink at 18 in some states but not in others. You can get married and divorced in Nevada in 5 minutes but face a ruinous and long legal battle elsewhere. You make get 10 years or capital punishment depending on which state you committed your crime in. Laws vary widely from state to state in one country - and it doesn't make the US an association of separate countries.

12 of 27 countries is only very, very roughly 50% and the UK and Denmark have an all-official opt-out. Sweden is a bit different, but then again no will try or would be able to force the Euro on them.

Actually 13 - plus 6 non-EU states and numerous European overseas territories. Denmark and the UK have negotiated exceptions but will surely reconsider in case of a major economic crises. All the other countries have agreed to join, and the euro is already widely accepted in the UK and in Poland, for instance, and most new member states have already pegged their currency to the euro.

citizens of countries from the last two EU expansions do not yet have the same rights to live and work anywhere in the union due to protectionist policies of e.g. Germany.

This is a transitory measure. There are strict limits beyond which no member state can extend its labor market protectionism.

who seem to believe places like Norfolk Island and Niue are more legitimate countries.

It's based on country-coded Top Level Domains as far as I know. Johan simply took a look at the ccTLD list and gave each ccTLD a flag

The EU has a top level domain: .eu.

I'm very fond of it, I find just about all aspects of Europhobia utterly ridiculous and I see lots and lots of potential in it

I do think there are bigger worries.

I fully agree.  Smile

the EU is not a sovereign country

and, as you say, neither is Scotland  stirthepot 

Niue is only associated with NZ

Yep, got me there, you nitpicking bastard.  Wink

aloges

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 89):
Passport designs vary, but they always indicate EU membership.

checkmark  true enough

If the EU were only a trade association, you wouldn't have that.

It's interesting that you bring up trade associations. I can't remember when or where exactly it was, but I somewhat recently saw a Brazilian passport with "Mercosul" on it just like mine has "Europäische Union" written on the top. Wikipedia has a photo.

Same thing in the US. That's what I meant by "no borders". The city district I live in also has borders, but obviously nobody gives a damn about them.

EU borders are still administrative and legal borders, much more so than US state borders. For example, that new train service between Frankfurt and Paris was tedious to implement precisely because of that.

The EU has a top level domain: .eu.

rotfl  Best point you could possibly have made! And it's even a country-coded TLD!  thumbsup 

Yep, got me there, you nitpicking bastard.

Vell, eye am Tjuhrmen!  Silly

Klaus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 89):
Best point you could possibly have made! And it's even a country-coded TLD!

The .eu domain was even introduced relatively recently, so Johan or the new powers-that-be have every excuse to introduce it this late into the game...!  mischievous 

I hereby officially request and support the acknowledgment of the european flag, especially in light of the clearly much less valid introduction of the british province flags.  stirthepot 

I would also have no problem with an automatic or optional display of both the national and supra-national flags (or even sub-national ones in the case of the britons) right next to each other.

Someone from Asia might not be aware of the location of every european nation, so that could in fact be helpful for orientation purposes.

Toast

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:22 am

I somewhat recently saw a Brazilian passport with "Mercosul" on it

Interesting find, I didn't know that. The article says it's a new design which has been around for less than a year...

Totally off-topic, but if there's a place in the world where the EU model could be viably implemented, it's Latin America....

that new train service between Frankfurt and Paris was tedious to implement precisely because of that.

Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with technical issues such as voltage/tracks? I remember that happened with new trains introduced between Brussels and Luxembourg...

I always carry my passport when traveling, but it is never required, even to non-Schengen states. A national ID is always accepted.

Vell, eye am Tjuhrmen!

Sometimes you just can't fight genetics.  Smile

Klaus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 91):
Are you sure it didn't have anything to do with technical issues such as voltage/tracks? I remember that happened with new trains introduced between Brussels and Luxembourg...

As far as I'm aware the technical aspects were indeed the main problem, along with operational issues. Personnel scheduling and regulations and comunication technology were among the difficulties I seem to remember.

aloges

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 am

Not so much genuinely technical as technical defined by regulations such as detonators. As you said, it's totally off-topic, so I suggest you look up the adaptations of the TGV POS and ICE 3MF online.

I always carry my passport when traveling, but it is never required, even to non-Schengen states. A national ID is always accepted.

So you plan for more eventualities than I do.  Wink The Estonians were perfectly happy with my ID card.

Braybuddy

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:27 am

As someone said earlier, is no mod prepared to weigh-in here with a clarification, or even an opinion? Given that the UK (and good luck to them) has a selection of flags to choose from, what's the reason for an EU flag not being added to the database?

LTU932

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:45 am

It's interesting that you bring up trade associations. I can't remember when or where exactly it was, but I somewhat recently saw a Brazilian passport with "Mercosul" on it just like mine has "Europäische Union" written on the top. Wikipedia has a photo.

If my Portuguese is good enough, I believe the page you linked says that those passports with the Mercosul on them have been introduced in December 2006, plus people can now even travel to Mercosur countries without the passport and just with an official photo ID (similar to Schengen in the EU).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

exFATboy

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting Da man (Reply 74):
Texas was its own nation and therefore should have its own flag available here.

So was Vermont, from 1777 to 1791. Remember in "Newhart" when they'd show a town meeting and some nutbar would stand up and argue for secession?

Texas and Vermont also have something else in common - they both seriously flirted with becoming part of the British Empire rather than the United States. Just before the (stacked in favour of statehood) Vermont legislature ratified the Constitution, Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen's younger brother, Levi, went to Montreal to discuss terms under which Vermont could become a British protectorate or something similar. And before statehood, some Texan leaders discussed the idea of an autonomous status within the Empire along the lines of what would become known as a Dominion. In both cases, it was felt that becoming part of the Empire would better preserve what made Vermont and Texas unique than statehood would.

(Ethan Allen's loyalty was to Vermont, not the United States. And to furniture, I guess...   )

Actually, having the option fo a second flag would be cool...Americans could use it for their state, Europeans who strongly believe in the EU could have the EU flag, etc. But then the site managers would have to load all the flags for the US states, Canadian provinces, etc. Not sure it's worth the effort.

Quoting Toast (Reply 88):
An American can legally drink at 18 in some states but not in others.

No longer true - drinking age is 21 in all states. If a state sets its drinking age below 21, the Feds cut off highway funds. Yes, it's a blatant violation of the concept of federalism, but it's true. I voted for the Libertarian candidate in 1984 as a protest against the Reagan Administration's position on this.

(edited so as to actually make an on-topic remark...)

[Edited 2007-10-04 12:46:10]

ikramerica

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Where's the NAFTA flag?

The OPEC flag?

The NATO flag?

The UN flag?

All valid "super state" organizations of which some members (or all are a part).

But as an Earthican, I think we should all fly the Earth flag, "Old Freebie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Earth_Flag.svg#filelinks

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 16):
one national language

Well, no we don't, sadly. I wish.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Klaus

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 97):
All valid "super state" organizations of which some members (or all are a part).

Nope. The EU is the only supranational organisation on the planet which actually has legislative, executive and judicative organs which are somewhat comparable to those of nation states. None of the other organisations comes even close.

And the members of the EU are full-fledged nation states, not just regional provinces as in the case of Britain with its extra flags.

gkirk

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 94):
what's the reason for an EU flag not being added to the database?

The EU is NOT a country  Wink