administrator
Topic Author

Big News On The Future Of Airliners.net

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi all,

As you probably know, Airliners.net keeps growing year after year with more photos, more forum posts, more visitors, more users and more photographers. This is fantastic. I could never in my wildest dreams have imagined this success when I started the site ten years ago.

And what comes with success?? Managing it. And I know you have felt some of the growing pains. There are infrastructure issues – like trying to stay on top of the hardware needs of this site but complexities and the site’s growth have caused outages. What started in my dorm room on one computer is now supported by 25 – and that’s not including all the network gear.

And there are administrative issues. Growing the site, supporting the community and keeping things running takes a big toll on me – All Crew groups have long lists of bugs I need to fix and administrative features I need to add.

The last couple of months I've been thinking real hard on finding a long term solution. We want Airliners.net to keep growing both in numbers and in quality of service to its users and be as strong in 10 years as it is today.

So today, I am happy to announce that we have agreed to be acquired by a company called Demand Media. Don't worry, I'll still be around. I will gradually hand over stuff like management of the hardware, the administrative stuff, programming work and so on. Henrik will also stay so you won't actually see any changes at all, at least not at first, and the changes will be for the better.

Demand Media is not a big company but are experts on what they do, running community sites such as Airliners.net. They have the hardware, the server rooms, and the dedicated programmers to help out with all your programming requests and so on. I came into contact with these guys a few months ago and have been very impressed with what I've seen. Me and Henrik actually went over to Los Angeles (where the company is based) and sat down to meet them face to face. I have no doubts they will be able to help operate the site successfully for many years to come.

This is big news and I realize you will have a lot of questions and some concerns. Please post them below and I will do my best to reply to them.

Thank you all,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

zanl188

RE: Big News On The Future Of Airliners.net

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Wow!! I knew there were somethings on the site that needed to go pro, but I didn't think you guys would go this far!!

I hope the site won't lose all of its folksy downhome qualities....

Best of Luck

[Edited 2007-07-27 13:14:12]
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

strasserb

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:15 pm

So let's wait another 10 years and view back by then.
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

TZ

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:23 pm

The Head Screeners and the Screeners are together with Johan, and dedicated to the site remaining true to its principles. Our screening policies, the stylistic standards and high-standards will all be maintained in exactly the spirit that Johan has intended them to be.

The Johan-vision is now much bigger than Mr Lundgren himself - it is ingrained in us, as members of his team. It's now our turn to uphold them, and we'll do our very best to do so.

We all hope that the additional investment of time, money and resources, will also iron our some of the little bugs which have afflicted the site over the past year. Johan has worked tirelessly to overcome these, but this site is now far bigger than one man can cope with. Our new partners will bring much needed new resources.

TZ
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

QANTAS077

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:31 pm

can someone tell me if/how our photos will generate income for the new investors? it is after all, our photos, that keep this site going. I can imagine they'd want a return on their investment, how does this affect uploaders?

deaphen

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Hey Congratulations Johan and everyone else:

I dont know if i am happy about the acquisition or not.. not that it really makes a difference what i feel, but ofcourse, the first thing that comes to mind is if the site will loose its personality by being run by a "company".

What exactly will the company be doing? Sorry if you mentioned this already TZ, but will the screeners stay the same? Is there any clause in the contract stating that the screeners will be chosen by Johan? Will the members of the company take it as seriously and passionately?

hmmmmm sorry for being so skeptical.... cant help it.

regards
nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

zanl188

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Does this mean the staff (mods, screeners, etc) will be paid employees vs volunteers?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

baylorairbear

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:37 pm

I would like to add that I hope you've done right by Henrik.

Good luck,

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

KaiGywer

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Well, now that it's public, good job Johan!

To those worried about the acquisition, from what we're told, things will stay the way they are, but with improvements coming with having a larger company managing.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 7):
Does this mean the staff (mods, screeners, etc) will be paid employees vs volunteers?

I guess we can hope  Silly
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

TZ

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 6):
but will the screeners stay the same? Is there any clause in the contract stating that the screeners will be chosen by Johan?

For the past few years the selection of people on the screening team, and also the screening policies, have been decided by the Head Screeners, following input from all members of the screening team. There are no plans to change that arrangement at all.

We have some real stability in our crew - people who have grown up with Johan and the site, and we have every intention of continuing inthe same spirit as we have done for the past years.

TZ
TZ Aviation - Aeropuerto de los Banditos Team Images

Granite

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi all

Screening won't change at all.

In fact it could possibly get better with faster scripts and all the gobbldygook that goes on in the background.

You will still be getting your images rejected by me for as long as I want to carry on doing it  

Regards

Gary

[Edited 2007-07-27 13:49:40]

KaiGywer

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Granite (Reply 10):
gobbldygook

Is that Scottish?  Silly
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Granite

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 11):
Is that Scottish?

Ain't got a clue.............it's Friday and I don't care  Wink

Regards

Gary

administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 1):
I hope the site won't lose all of its folksy downhome qualities....

No, the site spirit will remain. The quality discussion forums and high standard photo database. Quite a few companies were interested in taking over the management of the site but I chose the one I think will do the best job.

Quoting StrasserB (Reply 2):
So let's wait another 10 years and view back by then.

Indeed! With the new owners, I am confident the site will still remain and be a thriving community then just as it is today. To continue running the site myself was never an option, is would simply be impossible - it's too big a job for one person. Airliners.net is now more than just a hobby of mine. I charge people for membership and it has been a constant feeling of guilt that I cannot keep the site up and running at all times, you do deserve better. The many hardware problems, the fact that I do not have time to fix all bugs nor work on the many new sections and features I envisioned have really made me face the facts. The site is so large that only a professional organization can keep it running smoothly and keep it growing in members and features.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 4):
I can imagine they'd want a return on their investment, how does this affect uploaders?

Nothing will change on the upload process. The new owners will generate income to pay for hardware etc in the same way as I have, via ads and membership. They will be able to seek out more aviation related advertisers though and that will make the income higher (and give you more relevant ads).

The screening process and everything surrounding the photo database will remain the same.

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 5):
if the site will loose its personality by being run by a "company".

The site has been run by my Swedish company for a long time. The only difference will be that it will now be a US company. They fully understand the value of the "spirit" of the site and will do everything in their power to keep it and make you guys feel that they are competent and good owners.

but will the screeners stay the same?

Yes, they will remain the same.

Is there any clause in the contract stating that the screeners will be chosen by Johan?

New screeners have been selected by the old screeners the last few years and that will remain.

Will the members of the company take it as seriously and passionately?

I assure you they will! Paulo who will take over a lot of my work is a passionate aviation enthusiast. You'll hear more from him later on.

hmmmmm sorry for being so skeptical.... cant help it.

I fully understand that, it is a major milestone for the site! I will do what I can do explain to you why I think this is the best way forward.

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 6):

The crew membership will remain the same, it's something people do on their spare time for the enjoyment it brings. Demand Media have promised better Christmas gifts though and some other perks  Smile

Regards,
Johan

KaiGywer

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Administrator (Reply 13):
some other perks

Ah...we'll finally get that G-V we've been waiting for  Silly

RayPettit

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:13 pm

I've often thought about the longer term future of our site considering it was lead by a private indivdual. I'd like to know whether the back up files of all the images are kept at a totally different geographic location.

And if Demand Media were to cease trading, what would happen? Just as with the old ownership, all us photographers need to make sure that we keep our photo files securely with adequate back up! There is some valuable stuff on here!

Out of interest, you can look at other Demand Media sites via their web page here http://www.demandmedia.com/contactus.asp

airfoilsguy

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:17 pm

When will Demand give a press release?

http://www.demandmedia.com/news-media.asp
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

henks

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 pm

I'm happy to say that they have a better backup system than we do. They were actually worried about our backups at first until we explained it. With their server systems and their concerns I'm sure your photos will be as secure as they can possibly be!   An added layer in security with site updates is also coming, making human errors (me and Johan screwing up) a thing of the past.

The press release is coming, we just wanted you guys and girls to know it first!

Regards,
Henrik

[Edited 2007-07-27 14:21:04]

aloges

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting RayPettit (Reply 15):
http://www.demandmedia.com/contactus.asp

That says it's privately held. I hope that won't change.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

deaphen

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting Henks (Reply 17):
The press release is coming, we just wanted you guys and girls to know it first!

Excellent..... you might as well tell us how much the site was valued at..... im gonna fly up to Sweden and chase u guys with a stick if you sold it for anything less than a billion  Wink

Or atleast a few hundred million.

regards
nitin

:P
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

airkas1

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:01 pm

Congrats Johan!

I'm curious how this move will turn out  Smile

Just a quick question.
Not that I know much of this, but will the site fall under US laws then as well?

[Edited 2007-07-27 16:02:41]

panair

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 pm

Congratulations...we look forward to watching!

Gratefully,

Panair (an American who grew up flying Panair do Brasil DC-3's, and Pan American World Airways DC-4's - as a pax!)

phlstudent

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:27 pm

Nothing will change on the upload process. The new owners will generate income to pay for hardware etc in the same way as I have, via ads and membership. They will be able to seek out more aviation related advertisers though and that will make the income higher (and give you more relevant ads).

It sounds like the overall best move to do, and I'm very excited to see these changes, but not to sound cynical, but will some of these ad changes include annoying "pop-ups" when ever we click a link?

A342

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 pm

he new owners will generate income to pay for hardware etc in the same way as I have, via ads and membership.

I hope the current premium-only members (and the early ones, too) will be grandfathered?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Farcry

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:17 am

My main concern about all this Johan is on the financial side. When the new folks take over, are we going to see an extreme rise in the cost of being an F/C member? I would hate to think that those who have paid over the years for their F/C membership are going to be 'stitched up'. To me, this has to be a question that needs answering for peace of mind.

Just my input here.
Exactly how long is a drastic measure?

ThePRGuy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:25 am

How much did these demand media guys pay?! This site must be worth a bomb!

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

INNflight

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:38 am

I hope the existing premium and grandfathered users remain just that, other than this, congrats on the sale!

Now off to the Caymans you two  Wink
Jet Visuals

CV990

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:44 am

Hi!

I'm from "the last century"...I just checked out and only Granite gave some feedback! I would like to keep that same spirit of friendship, solidarity, altruism that we used to have "almost" 10 years ago! Please don't forget that Airliners.Net got huge because some of us "kept the fire burning" all these years...and got A LOT of newcommers here due one simply thing...simply THE LOVE OF AVIATION!!! I hope one day in Airliners.net anyone will pay respect to that!
Best regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 20):
Not that I know much of this, but will the site fall under US laws then as well?

I am assuming it would, but I do not think that would mean any changes. Copyright laws and similar are the same all over the world and I do not foresee any significant changes.

Quoting PHLstudent (Reply 22):
some of these ad changes include annoying "pop-ups" when ever we click a link?

Demand Media would not add any ads that annoys the visitors of Airliners.net. They naturally value the visitors and understand that without them the site is nothing. However, ad formats come and go and I'm sure they will try different types of ads (like special sections sponsored by aviation companies etc).

Quoting A342 (Reply 23):
I hope the current premium-only members (and the early ones, too) will be grandfathered?

They do not plan any changes to any memberships.

Quoting Farcry (Reply 24):
extreme rise in the cost of being an F/C member?

There's no planned rise in membership fees. I think the level I've put it on is the optimum one, make it higher and we would risk loosing too many members. They do plan a lot of new features for the First Class Membership though and thereby hope to increase the number of First Class Members.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 25):
How much did these demand media guys pay?!

We are all under a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) and neither of us are allowed to publish the sum.

Quoting INNflight (Reply 26):
I hope the existing premium and grandfathered users remain just that

I have no reason to believe they will change that.

Quoting CV990 (Reply 27):
Airliners.Net got huge because some of us "kept the fire burning" all these years

I agree, Airliners.net got so big because of the dedication of its visitors, members, crew and photographers.

Regards,
Johan

Psych

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:06 am

Hi Johan.

I have a particular interest in this development from the screening/uploader perspective.

Unfortunately my photos are too 'boring' to have ever made it to your queue. But I am intrigued to know whether you will still be the 'casting vote' on those photos which push the A.net boundaries - 'Johan's Queue' - or will you be delegating this to others?

All the best.

Paul

P.S. I have posted in the Photography Forum - which I hope is not a problem to any moderators - as I felt there may be many photographers who stay in that Forum and dont' come here often and so may miss this important news. As you know, I am keen on ensuring all communication channels are used  wink .

[Edited 2007-07-27 18:24:08]

SwissA330

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:10 am

wow, congratulations...

I'm still a bit sceptical though...

Like someone already mentioned, the new company must want a certain return on investment...
i don't know a bit about the financial situation of a.net, but i suppose the new owners will want more out of it, than a private group of individuals doing it for 'fun'.
Also, too bad it went to the US, another great EU company that was taken over by our US friends.

Well, all's well if it stays as it is. I'm still an 'old' member and never had to pay a dime for a.net (but of course contributed to the spirit of a.net by posting etc), and hope that this will remain for the legacy members.

Well, Johan, tack sa mycket, and have fun in your post-a.net-life!!!
swissair/+/ we care

administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 29):
will still be the 'casting vote' on those photos which push the A.net boundaries - 'Johan's Queue' - or will you be delegating this to others?

I am considering giving that section to the Head Screeners. Most of them have years of experience at Airliners.net (Gary for one has been around since the 90's) and they know what type of photos should be accepted and what shouldn't.

Quoting Swissa330 (Reply 30):
but i suppose the new owners will want more out of it, than a private group of individuals doing it for 'fun'.

Indeed, as their costs will be higher with the amazing hardware setup they are planning, a dedicated programmer (Matt) and server admin (Sunny). However, the revenue increase is going to be generated by more aviation related ads and possibly sections sponsored by aviation companies and better deals with ad agencies.

Quoting Swissa330 (Reply 30):
and have fun in your post-a.net-life!!!

Thanks  Smile I'll still be around for a long time though. And even if I step back from the administration of the site, I'll always remain as a user. I won't run anywhere 747438.

Regards,
Johan

Tom12

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:43 am

Wow, big steps eh.

Congratulations Johan.
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

MYT332

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:01 am

With new management in place does this mean we can have B747-437B back?
One Life, Live it.

EK20

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 am

Johan,

I can't say I'm surprised, it's a massive machine to run. I agree with everything TZ says. You should feel proud of what you and and all the staff have achieved on here.

Just one question, what do you plan on doing now? Get a job or did you make enough from the sale to retire?

ThierryD

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:13 am

Hi Johan!

Big news indeed!  Wow!

I don't know if I missed that part somewhere or if it really wasn't written anywhere but did you actually sell 100% of the site or do you still hold a majority and/or major position allowing you to effectively develop the site the way you intend(ed) to?
One question that arose when I read the following:

The site has been run by my Swedish company for a long time.

was: "Why didn't you integrate professionals into your own company and thus delegate the massive amount of work among them, instead of selling the whole site?"
Cause, and I really don't wanna play the grinch here, but very often (and I've witnessed it several times) once it gets tough all good resolutions and promises from new owners are quickly thrown overboard and if you're then in no position to go against that, your "being around" will soon be history.
One thing is clear I think, that the new owner didn't buy the site just for the fun of it; like in every business he wants to make money with it (which is completely legitimate) and that fact opens the doors for many wild and some ugly speculations...

Hoping you took the right decision for the site and yourself, I wish everybody all the best with the new situation!

Cheers,

Thierry

Btw: who's our Guru now, the one we can blame for everything if anything goes wrong?  Confused
"Go ahead...make my day"

AeroWesty

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Administrator (Thread starter):
Demand Media is not a big company but are experts on what they do, running community sites such as Airliners.net.

Quoting Administrator (Reply 28):
Demand Media would not add any ads that annoys the visitors of Airliners.net.

Is this the same Demand Media as mentioned in the following article?:

http://www.siliconbeat.com/entries/2...for_a_bunch_of_shell_websites.html

Edit: Or here?: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...115-lMyQjAxMDE2NDA2MTQwNDE1Wj.html

[Edited 2007-07-27 19:25:11]
International Homo of Mystery

ANITIX87

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:29 am

and some other perks

Our own a.net plane? Our own airline?! Agreements with airports and airlines not to arrest us?! Corporately-organized meets and access to airports?! Haha. I can dream, can't I?

Quoting Administrator (Reply 32):
I am considering giving that section to the Head Screeners. Most of them have years of experience at Airliners.net (Gary for one has been around since the 90's) and they know what type of photos should be accepted and what shouldn't.

Does this mean that once the site has been handed over (a lengthy process I'm sure!) you will no longer be involved at all? I mean, I know you'll stick around as a user, but will you relinquish complete control to the new guys?

Quoting 747438 (Reply 33):
I hope you have sent NIKV69 some Kleenex before announcing this.

Haha. Yeah, he'll be absolutely devastated! Don't worry Nicholas, we're all still here. And we won't let J-photos gain any ground. Not ever.

Personally, I'm glad Johan is thinking in terms of the site's benefit, even if it involves some changes that might take some time to get used to.

I do, however, have some concerns. The thing I love most about this site is how much say the users have. Every single change (i.e. the color of the post box, the collapsed posts, etc) has involved Johan asking us for input. And he is genuinely interested in what we have to say and recommend. Every change is made with our interests at heart, and this is something that keeps me paying my membership fee. I am curious as to whether these corporate owners will do the same thing, or if they will change the site to run in a way that optimizes their gains and eliminate what Johan has done to make this site a real community? I just want the site to stay, at least form a user's standpoint, exactly as is. With, of course, some minor changes that will change the smoothnes of the site, and not necessarily appearance or interface.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

KLM772ER

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:36 am

First of all congratulations!

But some questions that come to my mind, what about the photo sale option? Will it stay the same? Or will there be any changes when the site moves to the US? For example new print company or something like that?

BTW does this affect anyhow the conflict with Alaska airlines regarding the copyright conflict (differences regarding the copyright in the US and Europe?) ?

Is there a date when the site officially moves to the US or is from today on?

Thanks for bringing this site so far!

Best Regards
Björn

[Edited 2007-07-27 19:40:16]

VivaGunners

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:04 am

Congrats, that's a big success.
Hope A.net will live forever, better and better, well done!
Any ideas for a signature?

aa61hvy

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:21 am

A few thoughts from an Anet veteran.

No, the site spirit will remain. The quality discussion forums and high standard photo database. Quite a few companies were interested in taking over the management of the site but I chose the one I think will do the best job.

I suppose this is a gentle way of saying you cashed out?

Quoting Administrator (Reply 28):
There's no planned rise in membership fees. I think the level I've put it on is the optimum one, make it higher and we would risk loosing too many members. They do plan a lot of new features for the First Class Membership though and thereby hope to increase the number of First Class Members.

How is this going to affect the grandfathered members? I'm guessing we are going to have to start forking over some $?
---

Remember Johan, us old timers helped make this site...
Go big or go home

crazytoon

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:33 am

Hey guys/gals,

My name is Sunny and I am going to be taking care of all the hardware needs for a.net servers. I have been with Demand since October 06 and been loving it. I am so excited about helping out with Airliners. It is a great site with great users. I am happy to see concerns/congratulations on this forum and the other ones.

Reading all these posts about future of the site makes me believe what Johan said about the community. You guys care a lot and we, at demand, are going to care back. We know without its users, airliners is just another site. To be where it is at, it has depended on everybody involved. I know Johan has said this many times but I wanted to say it anyways; you guys rock!

Quoting RayPettit (Reply 15):
I'd like to know whether the back up files of all the images are kept at a totally different geographic location.

I know Henks already said this but I wanted to let you know that our backup strategy is very solid. I don't think you need to worry about loosing your photos  Wink

If there are any hardware related questions you may have, ask away. I will try to answer as much as I can.

-Sunny
crazytoon

CV990

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 am

Remember Johan, us old timers helped make this site...[/quote]

Hi!

I agree with another A.NetVet said!!! I think it's about time that there's a board of "AIRLINERS.NET VETS" maybe be involved in what I call a "The biggest and huge aviation site in the Internet world"!!! After all we did on behalf of this site maybe it should be time to pay tribute and give some "pay back" to all of us AIRLINERS.NET VETS!!! If I'm not wrong, all of AIRLINERS.NET VETS really don't want any money, special benefits, etc. etc.....maybe a different role in this site, after all we contributed with thousands ( if not millions...) of topics, messages, contributions to get Airliners.Net to the place it is right now!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

diamond

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:09 am

I've already met 2 of the people from Demand Media, as they are based here in Santa Monica, CA.

I think it's natural for people to worry & speculate "what's going to happen." But I think most uers will experience positive change, or no change at all in the long run. Give it time. Trust the process.

Planes will continue to fly, and people will continue to take pictures of them!
Blank.

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:12 am

Johan, what are your plans now that you won't be so heavily involved in a.net? A long vacation? Back to school? Launching cruiseliners.net?

Congrats, man.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

walter2222

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 37):
Hi Johan!

Big news indeed!

checkmark 

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 37):
Hoping you took the right decision for the site and yourself, I wish everybody all the best with the new situation!

checkmark 

... and also for the users/visitors!

Quoting Crazytoon (Reply 43):
I know Henks already said this but I wanted to let you know that our backup strategy is very solid. I don't think you need to worry about loosing your photos

... and I am sure it is much safer than to keep them at home...  Smile

All the best for the future!

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

EK20

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:19 am

If there are any hardware related questions you may have, ask away

Hi Sunny,

Yep. In terms of hardware what will be different? Will the site be less prone to 'going offline'? What plans do you have in the short term and also the long term?

DeltaAVL

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:28 am

Hey guys/gals,

Welcome to Airliners.net!  Wink

I think this is a wonderful decision, and don't anticipate any problems in the future. Hopefully the folks at Demand will take care of us, like Johan and the crew has before. I'm glad to hear that my photographs will be safe and that uploading will continue as usual.  Smile

One question for Johan, though - what's going to happen to MyAviation.net, its users, and the photographs hosted on that site?

Thanks,
Will
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

airbusA346

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:35 am

Just curious.....

Has the whole site being sold or just a percentage of it to Demand? .......Or can't you tell us that?  Wink

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

DeltaAVL

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 48):
Has the whole site being sold or just a percentage of it to Demand? .......Or can't you tell us that?

We could, but we'd have to kill you.  Wink

Signed,

Johan (former Administrator, Founder, and President of Airliners.net)
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster