moderators

Server Migration - Opinions/Thoughts/Concerns

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Use this as your soapbox to express your opinion or thoughts related any issues stemming from the recent server move.

Please keep comments civil, constructive and within the rules.
Please use [email protected] to contact us.

JeffM

RE: Server Migration - Opinions/Thoughts/Concerns

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:54 pm

I would have expected a much better transition. Hopefully this isn't a peek into the future.

gkirk

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 pm

Main concern has to be the lack of communication coming from the Demand Media hierarchy, and yes, I know FlyHeliGirl eventually got round to replying in the other thread, but many people on here (not me however) pay to use this site, and are probably getting annoyed about what can be seen as extremely poor customer service.
Hopefully, this can be rectified before it's too late (if it hasn't reached that point already).
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

baroque

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 2):
Main concern has to be the lack of communication coming from the Demand Media hierarchy, and yes, I know FlyHeliGirl eventually got round to replying in the other thread, but many people on here (not me however) pay to use this site, and are probably getting annoyed about what can be seen as extremely poor customer service.

Part of the communication in response to that should be to acknowledge specific issues that are being tackled as this could avoid duplicating reports of specific issues.

Also some of the issues seem so weird it can be difficult to work out what the problem is.

Tom12

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 1):
I would have expected a much better transition. Hopefully this isn't a peek into the future.

I think the movement of the Servers went ok. I mean, its been less than a week and most of the issues are gone. These servers went from Sweden to the US and as said in the other thread, the servers have went from how Johan worked them to how Demand Media work theirs. The fact is its impossible to do it without glitches.

And yeah, the only thing i could say is the lack of communication that there was to begin with. But that was resolved.

Smile Thom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

KFLLCFII

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Moderators (Thread starter):
Use this as your soapbox to express your opinion or thoughts related any issues stemming from the recent server move.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this thread and its timing.

At first it sounds like this is supposed to be an "aftermath" thread, implying that the server move is finally complete, and it's time for everyone to learn from the experience and move on. But there's a problem with that: It's not over.

Let's make that clear...There are still other issues yet unsolved/rectified at this point. Some take higher priority for some members than others.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:54 pm

1. The server migration itself was completely necessary, and the bugs and problems, while unforeseen, haven't been disastrous. From what FlyHeliGirl has told us about how many developers are working on the code, it's obvious that DM are committed to ironing out the bugs and developing a more solid code base than the patched-together predecessor. So thanks to DM for that.

2. Communication could have been better, for sure, but I'd rather have the crew working on the issues that posting on here. The only suggestion I would make is that, even with short notice of a couple of hours, a thread in every forum and a notice on the front page for future downtime would be the way to go. I think it's probably fair to say that, had that been done, most of the community fallout would have been avoided. But then hindsight is 20/20.

3. Overall, considering some site migrations I've seen in the past, there really hasn't been anything unsurprising or outrageously unexpected.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AC320

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 5):
I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this thread and its timing.

At first it sounds like this is supposed to be an "aftermath" thread, implying that the server move is finally complete, and it's time for everyone to learn from the experience and move on. But there's a problem with that: It's not over.

People need to report bugs and people also want to give their 2 cents on the migration, on-going site issues, Demand Media etc...

Now there's a thread for each need, so everything stops getting mixed-up.
fuddle duddle

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:20 pm

If I put an airline through the same appallingly bad technical migration as a.net has gone through with these new shysters, I'd be out of business in about 5 minutes. Doesn't anybody at DM ever test anything ? How can a commercial website go through this kind of exercise without verifying that basic functionality will continue to work during and after the change ? Seriously, somebody needs to get fired. And some money needs to start being refunded.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

National757

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

I think part of the problem was the amount of technical code unique to Airliners.net/Johan. From the looks of it, all the website code was built on top of each other and the "house of cards" collapsed once the server changed. In hindsight, taking the site down for a week with one week of advanced notice in all forums might have been the better option.

saxdiva

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting AC320 (Reply 7):
People need to report bugs and people also want to give their 2 cents on the migration, on-going site issues, Demand Media etc...

Now there's a thread for each need, so everything stops getting mixed-up.

Or, in other words, Management now has an easier way to ignore complaints.

See terms for details....

ajd1992

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm

It sucked and for something 40000+ people pay for, it wasn't all that smooth.

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 11):
40000+

Where on earth do you get the number from???  laughing 

KFLLCFII

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 12):

Quoting Ajd1992:

40000+

Where on earth do you get the number from???  laughing 

You're right, he meant 65000+, give or take a few grandfathered members.  Wink

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

FLYB6JETS

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:14 pm

I think the transition was kinda rocky. I mean, I am still having trouble using the photo search function.
"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!"

D L X

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:17 pm

I'm happy that DM has started to keep members aprised of what's going on, but I'm a bit disturbed by the people saying "these things happen." A.net has migrated before, and never was it this painful. Usually, it's down for a couple hours, then it's up and smooth again. DM, you have to do better. However, I think you will find that this is a pretty forgiving group, if you ***communicate.***

airfoilsguy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 15):
You're right, he meant 65000+, give or take a few grandfathered members.

They may have paid a one time $25 administration fee but there is no way that that many are first class. Hell, I will bet that half that amount haven't even visited this site in the last 2 years.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

aloha73g

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone wanted Demand Media to reply to every comment in every thread.

I think most people wouldn't even have been posting negative comments if there had been some sort of regular (daily) response from someone at Demand Media just updating the situation....someone taking 5 or 10 minutes during the day to update us would have been far preferable to over 3 days with NO response.

I sincerely hope that Demand Media and its employees realise that it was a bad idea to not post anything for days, and similarly realise that most of the posts and outrage weren't necessarily about the problems with the site, but were about the lack of information and communication with regard to the problems.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

IFEMaster

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 14):
You're right, he meant 65000+, give or take a few grandfathered members.

Not to mention all the photographers who have a photog account and the one-time premium members. There aren't 65,000 people sending $5 a month. Although, I'm curious to know what the exact number of FC members is.

ORFflyer

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 18):
Although, I'm curious to know what the exact number of FC members is.

Whatever the number is, I think it's going to drop dramatically in the coming months.

unattendedbag

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:56 pm

There are about 20 threads in this forum alone that pretty much sum up what everyone has been thinking. They shouldn't too hard to find.  Smile
Slower traffic, keep right

andrewuber

Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Well the front page is finally up again, and all the features I've tried are working well. While it did take a while, I will say it's nice to have a.net back up and running. It does seem a bit faster too!

Drew  wave 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

unattendedbag

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 18):
Although, I'm curious to know what the exact number of FC members is.

3279 as I type this.
Slower traffic, keep right

aloha73g

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 22):
3279 as I type this.

At $5 per month thats nearly $200,000 per year!! ($16,395 per month)

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

TACAA320

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 11):
It sucked and for something 40000+ people pay for, it wasn't all that smooth.

I would expected a much better transition. It definitely wasn't that smooth.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 19):
I think it's going to drop dramatically in the coming months.

Probably. To be the biggest and best[?] site in the field there is a lot of work to do in order to improve it.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 23):

At $5 per month thats nearly $200,000 per year!! ($16,395 per month)

-Aloha!

I would bet that $200,000 doesn't even cover operating costs.

airfoilsguy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 20):
There are about 20 threads in this forum alone that pretty much sum up what everyone has been thinking. They shouldn't too hard to find.

Most of them locked.  duck 

EK20

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes, I have concerns. 25 replies to this thread and still no response from the management.

I understand the site went offline for a time while but wouldn't it have been better to keep it offline longer so these issues could be sorted out. I'd rather wait a week and come back to a site working correctly than come back after 2 days to find it all over the place. The lack of response from the new owners until now is terrible. If I had known this a couple of months ago I would never have renewed my FC membership.

I have no idea who you guys are that run this now but your customer care is abysmal. You won't be getting another FC payment off this user.

D L X

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 25):

I'm sure it does, or at least did. Everyone (or nearly) on the crew worked for free.

airfoilsguy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:16 pm

Quoting EK20 (Reply 27):
Yes, I have concerns. 25 replies to this thread and still no response from the management.

To be fair it has only been 4 hours.

To be honest it looks like communicating with customers is not high on their priority list.

halls120

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:18 pm

Please keep comments civil, constructive and within the rules.

I'll repeat what I posted in another thread.

It didn't help that DM's initial responses - after being mute - were poor, at best.

When Flyheligirl said "I've been trying to explain things in advance and I'm sorry if you interpreted DM as unresponsive," that was simply an absurd response.

By any objective measure, DM HAS been unresponsive.

All of this could have been prevented had DM made it clear well in advance that they were going to migrate servers and that glitches might develop. Instead, they posted notice of the event in the least viewed forum on Anet. And then, when the outcry over status of the site grows louder, there was virtually nothing from management as to what's going on.

No one who has any sense questions the scale of the project DM has undertaken. That there have been minor problems should be of no surprise to anyone. But the stunning misjudgment of DM's communications responsibilities is frankly quite puzzling.

Bad news never improves with age. It's a lesson worth remembering.

Good luck with the rest of the transition.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 28):
I'm sure it does, or at least did. Everyone (or nearly) on the crew worked for free.

I doubt it very much. The cost of bandwidth, maintaining server farms, the power to those servers, licensing...I could easily seeing that top $16k a month.

sandrozrh

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 25):

I would bet that the additional revenue from such as advertising beats that number by miles.

Indy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 31):
I doubt it very much. The cost of bandwidth, maintaining server farms, the power to those servers, licensing...I could easily seeing that top $16k a month.

Maybe back in the old day. Not anymore. Server leases and bandwidth has become very cheap. Here in the U.S. you can rent dual core servers with an allowance of 2,000 gigs of transfers every month for under $200. I remember back in the day paying $300 a month for a p3 with 50 gigs of transfers a month. Times have changed.

But maybe some of us actually got some work done over the last couple of days.  Smile
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 32):
I would bet that the additional revenue from such as advertising beats that number by miles.

Agreed.

ZakHH

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 2):

Couldn't have said it better.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 10):

Sad, but true. And it will work...

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 17):
Just to clarify, I don't think anyone wanted Demand Media to reply to every comment in every thread.

Sure not. Simple statements, being displayed prominently (not hidden in some malfunctioning forum threads) and answering the most immanent questions (those that were asked here zillions of times) would have done the job quick and easy.

And yes, an outlook on what Demand Media is planning as a compensation for the unprofessional migration would have been welcome, and still is.

But I wonder how many people have to tell them that their communication sucks noodles, before they start realizing it.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 19):
Whatever the number is, I think it's going to drop dramatically in the coming months.

I can only speak for myself, but that answer is: yes.

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 20):
There are about 20 threads in this forum alone that pretty much sum up what everyone has been thinking.

Well said. I guess we should realize that it has not made any difference what we have said, and I would not know why it should make any difference in the future. I guess the only solution is starting to speak another language. One that commercial companies cannot ignore on the long run.

Demand Media: you failed with the migration. You failed with communication. Exactly why should we continue to support you?
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 35):
you failed with the migration.

No they didn't. The site has been successfully migrated. Bugs have been worked out or are being worked out, and the site downtime was minimal. To say they failed with migration is a gross inaccuracy.

EK20

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 36):
The site has been successfully migrated. Bugs have been worked out or are being worked out, and the site downtime was minimal. To say they failed with migration is a gross inaccuracy.

That may be true but nowhere along the line has there been any communication until now. I'm sure Johan would have kept people informed better.

ZakHH

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Okay. Replace "failed" with "performed poorly".
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

airfoilsguy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Am I the only one or does the site seem to be functioning better now?

D L X

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:49 pm

the site downtime was minimal.

Huh? You do realize that each time A.net migrated to new servers when Johan was at the helm, there was no major downtime like this, right? You probably didn't even notice because those migrations went smoothly.

A four day downtime is not "minimal."

IFEMaster, why are you apologizing for DM? Let them apologize for themselves.

LTU932

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:54 pm

No they didn't. The site has been successfully migrated.

While the migration itself was completed, I'd hesitate when it comes to it being successful or not. Why? Because the DM people were totally unprepared for the server migration.

As someone said in another thread, the key to success is to practice the particular server migration before going live with the migration process. As we say in German: Übung macht den Meister (practice makes one the master).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

andrew50

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 pm

I had 4 pictures in the queue since October 1st. Those pictures have somehow dissapeared from my queue without ever being screened. Anyone else having these problems?
Andrew

D L X

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting Andrew50 (Reply 42):
I had 4 pictures in the queue since October 1st. Those pictures have somehow dissapeared from my queue without ever being screened. Anyone else having these problems?

go to Your Photos and see if they've been rejected. Notifications might not be working yet.

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 40):
Huh? You do realize that each time A.net migrated to new servers when Johan was at the helm, there was no major downtime like this, right? You probably didn't even notice because those migrations went smoothly.

No previous migration was anywhere near this scale before.

A four day downtime is not "minimal."

I the grand scheme of things, four days is less than minimal. And it was actually two days.

IFEMaster, why are you apologizing for DM? Let them apologize for themselves.

I haven't apologized for anyone, but I am bringing a realistic point of view to the technicalities of a large scale site migration. If you think this was bad, I sincerely hope you don't work in IT.

Quoting EK20 (Reply 37):
That may be true but nowhere along the line has there been any communication until now. I'm sure Johan would have kept people informed better.

checkmark  That much is true.

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Not complaining, just curious:

Screeners, was this migration the reason for bringing down the photo queue below 2000 a few weeks ago?  Smile

j_hallgren

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 pm

As someone who previouly worked for 25+- yrs in corporate for major companies, this migration was handled VERY poorly and would never have been tolerated in those companies...One system I dealt with was only allowed to be off-line for 5 minutes or less in any given day, and that didn't happen here, or anything close to it...

Also, as noted by others, the communication by DM was horrendus at best! There should have been better notice in advance, better status/updates available during conversion and more timely follow-up to resolve bugs.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Blackprojects

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:09 pm

I just got this while trying to log into this thread.

Sorry, the post you are trying read does not exist (could have been deleted or you followed a faulty link). Click here to return to the forum .

Which made me scratch my head and say WTF.

So i tried the second thread down and got exactly the same result.?!?

Seems not all the Gremlins have been rounded up just yet.

Ryan h

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:12 pm

One concern I have is the length of time it takes to add photos to myaviation.net.
South Australian Spotter

halls120

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 39):
Am I the only one or does the site seem to be functioning better now?

It's just you. It took me four tries to open this thread. When I just visited the non-av thread, the most recent post was supposedly 23 hours ago.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography