Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UnknownUser
Topic Author

Trip Report Forum: A Pain In The...

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:28 pm

I go into the trip report forum every so often and try and see what's new. I am getting increasingly frustrated wading through threads that were started in January, July, etc. because a few members (who I think are just boosting their post count) decide to post, "Nice TR, thanks for sharing." in a thread from months ago! One member has taken it upon himself to post like this over 70 or so times. Just take a look at the trip report forum and you'll see what I mean.

This is absolutely ridiculous and I am reccomending a rule be made that unless something ACTUALLY constructive is posted, you cannot post in a thread from over 30 days ago.

Thoughts?
Die Skybus!!! You need to die for the good of the industry!

B747forever

RE: Trip Report Forum: A Pain In The...

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm

I feel a bit guilty.

Will stop with it, okey. I am really sorry.

Hope that I wont be banned or something.  scared .

Will stop with it, promise.
Work Hard, Fly Right

6yjjk

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:40 pm

There's a bug where if the last post is deleted it still shows in the index as being the last post made. If that were fixed, then suggesting deletion of those posts would be worth the effort.

Bumping threads for no reason is unsociable behaviour. Persistent offenders (i.e., those who do it twice!) should be banned.

diesel1

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Unknownuser....

Really great thread.

The sentiments are really good.

Thank you for sharing.

Diesel1

Wink
I don't like signatures...

jamesbuk

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Diesel1 (Reply 3):

Thank you for sharing.

checkmark  I agree

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

jetmatt777

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:39 am

No one's forcing you to click a thread from over 30 days ago. Don't click the thread if you won't like what's in it.

AeroWesty

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 5):
No one's forcing you to click a thread from over 30 days ago.

That's not really the point. Bringing old threads to the first page just to say "nice report" clutters up the forum and pushes the most current reports onto succeeding pages. Who wants to sort through two or three pages of trip reports to simply find the newer ones?
International Homo of Mystery

CastleIsland

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 5):
Don't click the thread if you won't like what's in it.

I take it only Nostradmus is subject to this statement.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

jetmatt777

Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
Bringing old threads to the first page just to say "nice report" clutters up the forum and pushes the most current reports onto succeeding pages.

Good point.

Edit:

Perhaps an Archived Version of TR forum?  scratchchin 

[Edited 2007-11-02 20:12:33]

Mike89406

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting UnknownUser (Thread starter):
This is absolutely ridiculous and I am reccomending a rule be made that unless something ACTUALLY constructive is posted, you cannot post in a thread from over 30 days ago.

Thoughts?

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
I feel a bit guilty.

Will stop with it, okey. I am really sorry.

Hope that I wont be banned or something. .

Will stop with it, promise.

Quoting 6YJJK (Reply 2):
Bumping threads for no reason is unsociable behaviour. Persistent offenders (i.e., those who do it twice!) should be banned.

While I understand the frustration there are a lot of offenders out there even you're more popular or well liked members may get bump or bumped enormously.

The rule should be fair regardless of who bumps. But is this maybe caused by the migration possibly? I can't even post any photos from my profile let alone post with hyperlinks so my belief is there are lots of problems besides mine or other common ones. To be honest theres no way I could attempt to post a report if I wanted to.

jafa39

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:11 am

I think its cool to have old TR's resurface, especially if they are bit outside the square and not the usual "FF Platinum AA FDX- JKL-LAX OMG! and then its just gate numbers and pissing and moaning about not being treated like a god, lets face it....some TR's are nearly as dull as the flights...I go seeking out threads about African Aviation or strange and faraway places.

And anyway.....

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
B747forever From Sweden, joined May 2007, 2501 posts, RR: 1

Might be OCD or have limited English skills, he may be a canny wit in Swedish.... Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

LTU932

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 9):
The rule should be fair regardless of who bumps. But is this maybe caused by the migration possibly?

The thing is that Trip Reports (and Tech/Ops) doesn't have a feature that autoarchives a thread after a certain time of inactivity, like in Nonav, Civav and Polls & Prefs. The threads just stay active forever unless a mod closes them.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

6yjjk

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 10):
think its cool to have old TR's resurface, especially if they are bit outside the square and not the usual "FF Platinum AA FDX- JKL-LAX OMG! and then its just gate numbers and pissing and moaning about not being treated like a god, lets face it....some TR's are nearly as dull as the flights...I go seeking out threads about African Aviation or strange and faraway places.

It'd be nice to be able to rate TRs, just as we can photos.

I've never filed a TR before, so I just went over there and clicked "New Topic" - it's just a big blank box, like for every other forum. I'm surprised that there's nothing else there. To, me, it would make sense to capture Airline, Flight Number, From, To, Aircraft Type (and reg, seat number, class...), etc., separately, so they could be stuffed into a database table for easier searching. (You might need to capture one set of entries for each leg of the trip, or record "Via"... That needs more thought.) The current search works reasonably well for the likes of your BAs and SQs, but search for, say, S7 and the results are less than stellar.

Of course, there are years and years of reports without this info! If things really do settle down around here and start to improve, and if the powers that be saw fit to implement the above for new reports, I might be persuaded to take a block of old ones and put the data in...

VC-10

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I am reccomending a rule be made that unless something ACTUALLY constructive is posted, you cannot post in a thread from over 30 days ago.

How would you enforce this rule?

ZakHH

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Two ideas come to mind:

Either set up a script that auto-locks TR threads some ten days after they were created (mods could re-open them upon request, if there is a really good reason for it).

Or split the TR feature in two: a separate section on the site for trip reports themselves, and the respective forum to discuss them. Just like the photos, who can also be commented on without having them reappearing in the "latest additions" lists.

Just as an idea.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

jafa39

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 13):
I am reccomending a rule be made that unless something ACTUALLY constructive is posted, you cannot post in a thread from over 30 days ago.

How would you enforce this rule?

Or indeed why should it be necessary? if a.netters want to look up old threads (remember, people join up every day) and comment on them I think that is fine.

Odd that someone from a country that prides itself on personal freedom should be proposing a measure that is draconian..... if it was imposed by the mods would probably cause uproar amongst the members.

Let's all act grown up shall we? and let people access parts of the site that although forgotten, may be a treasure trove to newbies.

Even that site we cannot mention is having isues on this subject, pepple complaining about threads being "bumped" so freaking what? If the current posts are so dull or cringe-worthy that people need to scour the archives for a decent thread...so be it and that can be seen as a barometer of the current state of posting and the kind of up-tight anti-freedom mindset that seems to be pervading the interwebs these days...too many GTR's I reckon!

On the non-av forums here you get threads being re-hashed..."what did you have for dinner?" "Are you Gay?" etc so themes do have a cyclical lifespan, just that on Trip Reports some people seem to consider the past a sin.....
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ShyFlyer

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 15):
Or indeed why should it be necessary? if a.netters want to look up old threads (remember, people join up every day) and comment on them I think that is fine.

checkmark  Besides, there is always the "Suggest Deletion" button.
I lift things up and put them down.

DeltaAVL

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:37 pm

My gosh, I've just visited the Trip Reports forum - what a mess!

The problem is not with the procedure of the forum but with the individual (B747forever). As long as this user knows not to bump these threads we shouldn't need an enforced rule.

edit: "B747forever - Age 13-15"
that right there says it all...

[Edited 2007-11-04 12:40:18]

6yjjk

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 15):
if a.netters want to look up old threads (remember, people join up every day) and comment on them I think that is fine.

On the other hand, a glance at the TR forum index really does suggest that B747Forever may have been taking the piss. That may not have been his intention, but my first impression would have been similar to UnknownUser's - it looks very much like posting for the sake of posting. And when it's done to excess like this, there's a very good chance that a new TR will be buried under a pageful of bumped ones - which means it's a nuisance. You can SD all you like (and I doubt I'd go through 50 or however many it was), but - thanks to a long-standing bug - the forum index is still knackered.

Personally, I don't understand the motivation - it's not like you get an extra dot next to your name or anything, like you do on other sites. Perhaps B747Forever would care to enlighten us?

Transpac787

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Has anyone else been having trouble with posting in the Trip Report forum?? Everytime I hit the "Preview the Post", it begins to load the page, but then doesn't do anything. The page is just totally blank, and it's done loading. Does anyone know what's up with that, or how I stop it from doing that??

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 10):
I think its cool to have old TR's resurface, especially if they are bit outside the square and not the usual "FF Platinum AA FDX- JKL-LAX OMG! and then its just gate numbers and pissing and moaning about not being treated like a god, lets face it....some TR's are nearly as dull as the flights...I go seeking out threads about African Aviation or strange and faraway places.

Absolutely, yes there has been an exception with the many recent bumps given by a certain user, but in general the Trip Reports which bounce back after a while do so because they are bloody good. Not every user logs on day after day all year long, some may only visit every week, or perhaps even month - so why shouldn't they be allowed to add their comment of thanks, or ask the poster a question about the trip - perhaps if they themselves are planning a similar trip? Sure, that could be done through the private message function, but I'd consider it more useful in the original report thread, where it is on topic and can be viewed by others who may be interested in taking such an adventure. There have been a lot of reports recently which contain information on highly unusual routings in less frequented regions, which is why I feel it's valuable to keep the discourse open and not have it locked down.

Quoting 6YJJK (Reply 12):
It'd be nice to be able to rate TRs, just as we can photos.

Yes, it would be a very useful feature - a similar system of stars would be excellent. Perhaps this is already in the pipeline as a lot of improvements and additions for the better are apparently on the way from DM.

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 17):
edit: "B747forever - Age 13-15"
that right there says it all...

We were all young, overly keen and slightly naive once. Don't bash someone for their enthusiasm in a hobby which they enjoy.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

B747forever

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Okey, everyone I am sorry. Has now stopped with posting in old TRs. Can you all leave this now???

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 20):
We were all young, overly keen and slightly naive once. Don't bash someone for their enthusiasm in a hobby which they enjoy.

Thank you PlymSpotter.
Work Hard, Fly Right