Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Psych
Topic Author

Facility To 'Jump To Last Read'

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:08 am

Two issues to reiterate:

* It seems variable whether the facility at the top right of a thread - to click on the 'X Unread: Jump to first'/''All read: Jump to last' - appears or not. I have mentioned this a few times and I recall Flyheligirl mentioning a long time ago, after it was brought up somewhere else, that it was not an individual issue to do with cookies but was a problem at the site's end.

It is a useful facility when it works - are others experiencing the same apparent randomness? I hope this can get sorted.

* As I went to start this new thread I was not presented with a blank area, but details of a previous post I had made, which I then had to delete myself. This has been a problem for some considerable time since the 'changes'.

Apologies if I am not doing the correct thing by starting a new thread for this, but I wonder whether an issue - apparently unresolved after a long time - being buried in those huge bug threads is ideal now.

Paul

mhodgson

RE: Facility To 'Jump To Last Read'

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:45 am

Yes, it seems fairly random here as well - it doesn't work more often than not. It also doesn't appear to be affected by whether I have posted in a thread or not; it just sporadically gives me the option!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ShyFlyer

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting Psych (Thread starter):
It is a useful facility when it works - are others experiencing the same apparent randomness?

Yes and Yes. To be fair to DM though, this was happening to me long before the take over.
I lift things up and put them down.

AeroWesty

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Temporary fix available in Reply #2 in this thread:
View Unread (by GLAGAZ Sep 22 2007 in Site Related)
International Homo of Mystery

Psych
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 am

AeroWesty - for other reasons I had all my cookies deleted recently, but that has had no impact on this problem at all. So I am not certain that is a workable solution.

As discussed then, the underlying problems lie with the site, not our individual computers.

Cheers.

Paul

ShyFlyer

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 4):
So I am not certain that is a workable solution.

Try this, it seems to work for me:

When opening a thread that I know I've read before and it is not displaying the "Jump to Last Unread," I'll first click the Hide All button to compress all the replies in the thread. Then, I'll uncompress the last reply in the thread. Next, I'll return to the forum index. Nine times out of then this works. Any subsequent visit to the thread will have the "Jump to Last Unread" link working properly.

JetBlueGuy2006

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:03 pm

It seems to work in NonAv, but not in may other threads.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

mham001

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:45 pm

The explanation I read is that it depends on the server on which that particular thread is stored. Not all the servers are programmed for this feature. Supposedly all threads were to have this feature as they migrated the farm and it was much better just recently but seems to have reverted back lately.
I find this feature indispensable for any thread over 50 replies. I know it used to be it wasn't available anywhere, but since they started it, I've become quite spoiled.

diamond

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Test reply.

Please disregard.
Blank.

Fly747

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:00 pm

It doesn't work for me either and nothing seems to help.

Ivan

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:39 pm

It is random for me. It is a very useful feature.

I notice it's not working in the Boeing 777-300ER vs. A350-1000 thread that I created. But it does work in the I've got 5000 posts thread in Non aviation.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

mham001

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Why is this getting worse!? Its getting to be the exception when a thread still has this feature. Otherwise, I'm spending too much time trying to find out where I left off. Almost not worth it. BRING IT BACK!!!

j_hallgren

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 am

Reviving this thread as I noticed tonight that this wasn't working at all for me, as I had replied to a thread and new posts were after it, yet it appeared as if I'd never been in it...and others that I knew I viewed earlier tonite still didn't show it...this is happening for sure in non-AV...not sure if it's forum specific, but it seems broken everywhere...it makes catching up quite hard to do without it!!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

jafa39

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 am

I contacted Monique about it via IM but got no reply.....that is not good customer service....not good at all Sad
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

AF340

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 am

Yeah, both have happened to me and it is fairly annoying. It always seems that on the longest and most active posts it isn't there for me.  banghead 

Liam spin 

jafa39

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:16 pm

What do we have to do to even get a reply from DM about this?? I have PM'd a Mod over this and I know it isn't their function but good grief!! There is nothing like good customer service and this is nothing like it!!!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Psych
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 am

This issue seemed to have been resolved for some time recently, but now it appears again. It seems arbitrary whether this facility appears on a thread or not - sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't.

A small bug, but annoying nonetheless; particularly when trying to keep up with the recent ToU thread - where the facility never seems to be there for me, for some reason.

I hope this is on Chris' list again, as it is a good feature.

Do you see this problem too or is it just me?

Paul

ShyFlyer

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting Psych (Reply 16):
Do you see this problem too or is it just me?

I used to until I moved to a new computer about a month ago. Since then, this feature has worked.

Edit:
I spoke too soon. There is now one thread in Non-Av were the feature is absent.

[Edited 2008-03-10 09:38:55]

j_hallgren

Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:40 pm

I've been seeing this work sporadically but mostly not in the last two months or so...it's quite frustrating and time consuming to locate where I was in a thread without it.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Psych
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:10 am

Update from me (for anyone who is listening!):

This problem seems to be affecting me in the Photography forum, but not here in Site Related. Also, it works okay if I am on another computer.

This reminds me of a previous discussion concerning this bug - I forget the details, but something to do with cookies I think. I tend to 'live' in the Photography forum, so visit pages a lot there. It was something about things 'filling up' on my computer and one solution was to clear something or other - I cannot recall and I wouldn't know what to do anyhow. But I also recall Monique recognising that this wasn't a long term solution as the problem 'lay at our end'.

It was definitely cured some weeks ago and now has returned. It would be reassuring to hear that this is back on the bug list and action will be taken. There is no doubt this is one of the more user friendly tools on the site.

Cheers.

Paul