Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANother
Topic Author

Pilloried For Correcting Errors.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Today, I responded to a post (this one) in which I corrected the OP using the wrong two-letter code for WestJet and for using a made-up code for an unaccompanied minor.

I didn't intend to be rude, or to flame - and I honestly don't think I was doing either. But a large number of responses to the post have cast me as being an evil, know-it-all. Poor poor OP but wicked, wicked me.

Even one of the [moderators] [[chat operators]] got on my case on this, accusing me of expressing anger - which I honestly don't think I was.

Tell me, am I wrong in pointing out mistakes? Should I just have ignored the use of WJ for Westjet, or SW for SouthWest, just because it's easier for the poster? Should I be condoning laziness?

I'm really tempted to stay away from Civ-AV, or this forum in the future.

What's your take - am I evil?

[Edited 2007-12-16 12:08:12]

srbmod

RE: Pilloried For Correcting Errors.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Quoting ANother (Thread starter):
Even one of the moderators got on my case on this, accusing me of expressing anger - which I honestly don't think I was.

WILCO737 is not a moderator. WILCO737 is one of the CHAT OPERATORS.

ANother
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):

My apologies - see, even I make mistakes!

Leskova

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 pm

I know the sentiment - not an hour goes by while surfing a.net where I don't see loads of false codes being used; I used to want to correct each and every one of them, but soon noticed that I'd soon be doing nothing else...

Personally, I didn't think your post was offensive, but - obviously - others disagree: just accept it for what it is, enthusiasts using what they think are correct codes, even when they're not. And don't post a correction, just PM them...

Don't worry - you're certainly not alone in feeling the urge to correct those mistakes, I've been using IATA's codes at work for over a decade now and it does annoy me when I see them misused: if I don't know a code, I either look it up or spell out whatever I'm missing the code for.

AeroWesty

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:49 am

am I wrong in pointing out mistakes?

If I had a dime for every time someone spelled "dessert" as "desert" in the trip reports forum ... but I digress. Just as English isn't everyone's first language, aviation isn't everyone's first interest. As long as you're not going around nitpicking every post, I don't think it's a problem to nicely correct someone. There are other sites around where you may wring their necks about it if they habitually need correction.  Wink

diamond

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:15 am

In my opinion - if you wanted to be helpful, you would have sent an IM to the original poster advising him of the errors. That allows him to write an "oops" post of his own correcting his mistakes.

But choosing to correct him publicly (in a forum with 68,000 members) is grandstanding, and not constructive.

flynavy

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:38 am

What's your take - am I evil?

Not at all. The OP was incorrect. You corrected him tactfully but from there it got blown out of proportion. The OP had a hissy fit over it and threatened to leave the forum over it. If he's willing to stop contributing to the site after hitting one minor bump in the road - especially over something so trivial - good riddance.

jorge1812

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:31 am

OK, we can't make it right for everyone here but since when it's wrong to correct someone after he made a mistake???? He even replied to the thread with a opinion about the topic not just saying "you did something wrong!"

georg

KFLLCFII

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 5):
But choosing to correct him publicly (in a forum with 68,000 members) is grandstanding, and not constructive.

Tell that to your coworker.  Wink

Quoting ANother:

Even one of the moderators got on my case on this, accusing me of expressing anger - which I honestly don't think I was.

airfoilsguy

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:09 am

And from what I herd about the chat not working he is out of a job and just trying to be helpful in the forums.

wilco737

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 am

Even one of the [moderators] [[chat operators]] got on my case on this, accusing me of expressing anger - which I honestly don't think I was.

Hello,

I was just trying to figure out whats going on and trying to avoid some kind of a fight in the thread. And it felt to me like you guys seem to be in "anger" and about to fight about it and I didnt want to see that... Sorry if it came out wrong at you guys! My apologize if that was the case! Wasnt my intention.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 9):

And from what I herd about the chat not working he is out of a job and just trying to be helpful in the forums.

Well, I am pretty much jobless regarding the website Big grin But thank god I have a real job Big grin hehe  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

jorge1812

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 10):
But thank god I have a real job

But no real life as you wrote in another thread Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

georg

IFEMaster

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:29 pm

a large number of responses to the post have cast me as being an evil, know-it-all. Poor poor OP but wicked, wicked me.

Welcome to airliners.net. This is the most venomous, vitriolic forum I've ever seen. The key is to take it all with a pinch of salt. It's the Internet. Don't be offended. I doubt that any of it's personal. Smile and laugh it off.

ANother
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 10):
My apologize if that was the case!

Not necessary, I have learned something today.

6yjjk

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 6):
The OP was incorrect. You corrected him tactfully but from there it got blown out of proportion. The OP had a hissy fit over it and threatened to leave the forum over it. If he's willing to stop contributing to the site after hitting one minor bump in the road - especially over something so trivial - good riddance.

Or he might have been being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 12):
Welcome to airliners.net. This is the most venomous, vitriolic forum I've ever seen.

I lurked for a good while and knew what I was getting into, but was warned against joining - "full of pr!cks, prats, pre-pubescents and prima-donnas". Thankfully, you can add professionals to that list, and those are the reason why I (try to) tolerate the aforementioned asshats. But if that's the impression we give, how many potential members are leaving in disgust? It's something that's always bothered me about a.net - and I can tell you that I found it really scary coming in here and beginning to post - even after years of lurking.

Maybe an explicitly "newbie-friendly" policy might be in order for CivAv?

ANother
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting 6YJJK (Reply 14):
Maybe an explicitly "newbie-friendly" policy might be in order for CivAv?

Some other forums have 'sticky' threads containing some information and tips for newbies (and others) to use.

Not sure if it's technically possible (nor a priority for the coders) - but it could be helpful to newbies (and others) if they were encouraged to use (or where to look for) correct coding, keep threads on-topic, etc. etc.

Ah, for the future, I suppose. But I think I will limit my posts on Civ-Av in the weeks and months to come.

wilco737

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 15):
but it could be helpful to newbies (and others) if they were encouraged to use (or where to look for) correct coding, keep threads on-topic, etc. etc.

I have the same problem, I dont know a lot of those codes and I mix them up all the time! So, when I am not sure I just use the full name and not the code! Either for airlines or airports...

Ah, for the future, I suppose. But I think I will limit my posts on Civ-Av in the weeks and months to come.

No, dont do that!!! The forum lives from aviation enthusiasts and we dont have always the same opinion. But you can discuss about it and keep on posting on the forums!!! And dont take it too personal! There are always people who try to tell me how to fly an MD11F and are only 15 years old Big grin

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 11):
But no real life as you wrote in another thread Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

True, no real life, but real life job, the bills need to be payed Big grin Big grin (but I still LOVE my job)

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

6yjjk

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Some other forums have 'sticky' threads containing some information and tips for newbies (and others) to use.

Not sure if it's technically possible (nor a priority for the coders) - but it could be helpful to newbies (and others) if they were encouraged to use (or where to look for) correct coding, keep threads on-topic, etc. etc.

Good ideas.

A message on the preview page (if anyone reads those!) suggesting that they mouse over the airline codes and check they're right (though when I tested just now BA wasn't highlighted, WTF?), along with a little widget to let you look up the correct codes where needed, might be useful for this specific problem. Lists of abbreviations would be very helpful, even a full-on glossary to explain the mysteries of RASM, CASM....

A sticky thread (and the welcome email on sign-up) could point out all these resources, and we'd have somewhere to politely point people to if they get it wrong.

jorge1812

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 16):
True, no real life, but real life job, the bills need to be payed Big grin Big grin (but I still LOVE my job)

Interesting philosophy you life after.

georg

wilco737

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 18):
Interesting philosophy you life after.

Isnt it? Big grin Actually I do have a real life! which is my 1st priority... Believe it or not! I dont have 23000 posts here yet! not even 1300 Big grin So it looks like I have still a bit real life left!  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ANother
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 19):
WILCO737 From Germany, joined Jun 2004, 1301 posts Believe it or not! I dont have 23000 posts here yet! not even 1300

Er, 1301 is more than 1300, not less.

airfoilsguy

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Quoting ANother (Reply 20):

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 19):
WILCO737 From Germany, joined Jun 2004, 1301 posts Believe it or not! I dont have 23000 posts here yet! not even 1300

Er, 1301 is more than 1300, not less.

Boy, you just can't let anything slip can you? CHIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

wilco737

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
Boy, you just can't let anything slip can you? CHIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

No comment Big grin Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane