Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maiznblu_757

RE: Respect Rating... Should We Do Away With It?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:30 am

I know its probably been mentioned several times already but you need to do away with limiting the number of respected users one can have.  alert 

kiwiinoz

Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:57 am

I pay less attention to this than I used to, probably on the basis that you get to know certain people and can make better judgements for yourself than the RR thing. I agree that it's not particularly relevant or important but it probably adds a bit of interest.

So it's not a big deal unless you think it's a big deal, then, well, I guess it's a big deal. Happy to put anyone on my RR list that needs to show people they have friends, (although given my own RR rating I don't think it will help much!!)

I've always been a fan of bringing in a DISRESPECT function. I think that would be far more interesting.

ghostbase

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Please get RID of 'Respect Rating'  boxedin 

To be honest when I see a poster with a high respect rating I tend to switch off to their views. As long as any system has a 0-100 scale there will be competitive people who will do anything to achieve the top number and be seen as the 'winner' or top of the pile. It encourages brown-nosing, cliques, alliances, political strategies and no doubt many other largely negative behaviours. It also encourages 'me too' types of posts as well the sad individuals who serial post here for the attention which they probably fail to achieve in 'real' society. Also, when I see someone post 'Welcome to my RR list' followed by that awful cheesy grin smiley I really do cringe. It is also quite probable that the initial lack of a respect rating discourages many new posters as well.

The real fault with the respect rating system is that it achieves a total disconnect with what A.Net is supposed to be about - aviation photography! If I do lower myself to the largely negative behaviours outlined above I will most likely achieve a reasonable respect rating, however if I have 2000 photos in the database, ie have made an *active* contribution to A.Net, I get absolutely nothing for it! That is the disconnect.

Get rid of RR, bring in a system which also recognises *real* contribution to this site  frown 

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:49 pm

I believe Respect is what you earn in your Life every day & not behind a computer screen.

The RR is not a respect rating but rather a "I Like you" rating mainly.

If its there or not does not affect me.I use the Tech/ops forum to learn & the other forums to talk to people.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

6yjjk

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 52):
It is also quite probable that the initial lack of a respect rating discourages many new posters as well.

That's a very good point. Perhaps if it started at, say, 25, and you could lose it as well as gain it, it might be better. The ability to lose your RR might also curb the sort of negative behaviour you describe.

Good post. I'd add you to my RU list with a cheesy grin, but...  Smile

diamond

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 52):
however if I have 2000 photos in the database, ie have made an *active* contribution to A.Net, I get absolutely nothing for it! That is the disconnect

Very valid point.

As it stands now, the photo database and the discussion forums are two very separate sections of the site (aside from the photography forum itself).

The RR identifies forum posters who gain respect from other posters - and sometimes it is not always for good reasons. Some of your observations about competitiveness are dead on. I have had members that I barely know contact me and just ask to be added. At that point, it's no longer about respect. It's just about trying to achieve a 'score.'

But people who have many photos in the database also have their own forms of RR: the number of photos that they have approved by the screeners, and the number of views that their photos draw.

It may be a bit apples/oranges - but my point is that each area of the site has its own form of recognition even if they are quite different.
Blank.

WestJetYQQ

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:32 am

Absolutely not. I use it was a way of keeping in touch with my favourite a.netters as well as a notification of my respect to them.
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:01 pm

No we should not. I hate to think what would happen to the volatile mental state of some users should the respect rating be ditched.

We must keep it in the spirit of the human kindness.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jamesbuk

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I also believe its highly inaccurate for example I believe Mel (Hawk21M) and other techies to be a VERY valuable part of the site, they explain things nicely and simply for everyone and are generally very polite and rarely flame people. Yet they dont have very high RR's like Mels is 47 unlike ANCflyer who I dont have a great amount of "respect" for as I rarely see him contributing positively towards aviation I only ever see him in the non-av forum.

So I think it should be either scrapped or it should be made more accurate so if you truly contribute to the site so you add photos, help out people and are generally an asset to the site should you have a high RR.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

abrelosojos

Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:51 am

I am a relative newcomer to this board and I would love to ask one question to the Mods, and to the senior members.

What does the RR really measure?

Thanks,
A.

PS: Apologies if this seems like a naive question.
Live, and let live.

abrelosojos

Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:59 am

Oh. I have just ONE suggestion with the RR list - and I have no idea if its ever used in the super complicated whatever is used. There should be a geographic weighting - so basically if you are respected by a super international group of people, it should count more. I think this would help stem rival groupings and all that misplaced national pride. Just a thought.

Thanks,
A.
Live, and let live.

mariner

Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:39 am

I didn't post for a while, and was surprised that my RR went up a couple of points.

Then I started posting again - and my RR went down a couple of points.

Is someone trying to tell me something?  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 59):
What does the RR really measure

Theres a Mysterious Formula,Guessed by Many,but never confirmed by the Creator of this Formula  Smile

Quoting Mariner (Reply 61):
I didn't post for a while, and was surprised that my RR went up a couple of points.

Then I started posting again - and my RR went down a couple of points.

The people that respect you,if their RR varies,Yours will too.
regds
MEL

Alessandro

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Keep it, it shows who´s most vain here.
RGDS
The one with most posts and RR:0
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

TVNWZ

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:42 pm

Silly ego boost.

filler

filler

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:44 am

Well, it seems like we have mixed opinions here..

Just to make it clear, I was not asking to remove the Respected Users feature... Just the Respect Rating.

I honestly feel like that little number up there is as useless as a dead deer on the side of the road. It doesn't get anybody anywhere, and only causes some people to be arrogant. Not all, mind you, but some. I feel that if the RR was eliminated, it would bring us all together as equal members of a community. The RR, and someone who has one higher is basically saying "I'm better than you."

These are just my personal views and opinions.
Puhdiddle

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 65):
The RR, and someone who has one higher is basically saying "I'm better than you."

If anyone thinks that way,One would know their maturity levels.

Respect is what you earn in Daily life & not on a site,thats just an "I like you' rating.

regds
MEL

kiwiinoz

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:34 am

[

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 65):
The RR, and someone who has one higher is basically saying "I'm better than you."

I'm with Hawk, in case you hadn't noticed, this is an internet forum. Most people don't take it quite as seriously as you seem to be. Relax, it's a hobby, it's not life!

stasisLAX

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 64):
Silly ego boost.

Completely agree, but I see no harm in keeping the respected user as it's currently configured.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

wilco737

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:15 pm

I dont care... but why changing it?! its here and WORKING! so we shouldnt change a running part of a.net Big grin Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

jamesbuk

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 69):
its here and WORKING!

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 69):
RR: 53

Clearly not if your RR is that high...  Wink  silly 

Rgds -James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

wilco737

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 70):
Clearly not if your RR is that high... Wink silly

It used to be above 60... I must've been a bad boy that it dropped to 53  angel  Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

jamesbuk

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 71):

Its probably the jealousy of you getting to fly the MD11 so often  silly  Now if there was an envy rating Im sure you would be on a lot of peoples lists! haha.

rgds --James--

wilco737

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 72):
Its probably the jealousy of you getting to fly the MD11 so often silly Now if there was an envy rating Im sure you would be on a lot of peoples lists! haha.

Isnt "envy" one of the deadly sins?!  stirthepot 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

aloges

Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:20 pm

As for my opinion: keep it. A.net has already lost enough of its (sometimes charming) quirks such as the "Stealth Fighters are for Wimps" and similar headlines.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

lincoln

Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:10 am

I say 'keep it', but add some transparency to the calculation.

I don't put much in the whole RR thing. Sure it's nice to be liked/respected/paid attention to and, woot, my rr bumped up 1 point (thanks to a couple adds) in the past week after sitting at 4 for forever, but at the end of the day I don't think of commiting suicide because my RR isn't 100, nor do I let it affect my posting.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Is RR & the number of posts something to be proud off.
I dont think so.
as one keeps posting,The posts rise.
as ppl like you & like the people that like you your RR rises.

regds
MEL

mariner

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 62):
The people that respect you,if their RR varies,Yours will too.

That's interesting - thank you.

I hadn't thought about that, but what you say makes sense to me.

mariner
aeternum nauta

jafa39

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Thread starter):
I feel it is just a useless line of code that doesn't do any good at determining the respect one has. We do that all by ourselves.

Heretic!!! Away with you! You'll be asking for the non-av forum to be canned next!!!!! Keep the RU lists, it is a good way of telling someone you love them  Wink

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Given that there are people upon whos list I appear for no other reason than to boost their own,

Rest assured you're on mine for the way you handled an issue I had with a deleted post and that you entered into a negotiation with me and we got the thing resolved. That is the RU list working at its best.  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ANCFlyer

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 78):
Rest assured you're on mine for the way you handled an issue I had with a deleted post and that you entered into a negotiation with me and we got the thing resolved.

Thank you, and perhaps you might post that here  biggrin 
Moderator IG/Review Panel For A.Net (by DL021 Dec 29 2007 in Site Related)
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:06 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 45):
Both have been banned numerous times. So it may say that they don't believe the forum rules really apply to them. It may say that their love of vioalting forum rules is far greater than their love of aviation. It may say that the seek popularity with other banned members by repeatedly getting banned. Or it may say that they just screwed up badly when writing a post. The possibilities are pretty vast. Nothing more.

"Numerous" ? I don't call 3 times "numerous". And the last one I am convinced was a CIA-backed conspiracy - I'M INNOCENT - FREE THE JUAN-LES-PINS ONE ! Bans do occasionally happen when one participates actively and robustly in the kinds of heated debates that go on in Non-Av, even when one scrupulously respects the rules about being non-insulting; mods are human too (on their good days), one cannot always expect perfect justice from imperfect humans. As a perfect, sublime hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional shade of the colour blue, this is something I have had to learn to live with  biggrin 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

diamond

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 80):
Bans do occasionally happen when one participates actively and robustly in the kinds of heated debates that go on in Non-Av

As well as the ones that get 'heated' in :

- Photography
- Site-related
- Tech Ops
- Polls & Prefs
- Trip Reports
- etc.

It is hardly limited to non-aviation. Additionally, one can easily participate quite 'robustly' in any given thread (or forum) while remaining within the forum rules. These are not IFR conditions here (with broken instruments), they are quite VFR.

"Numerous" ? I don't call 3 times "numerous".

I didn't say that 3 examples was the end of the story. In fact that is why I followed it up with:

Quoting Diamond (Reply 45):
The possibilities are pretty vast.

mods are human too (on their good days)

Nice. Thanks for letting us know where you stand!
Blank.

QB737

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 14):
But an "ignore list" would come in handy. Can be a private list, not visible to others. And postings from users on my ignore list would then not be displayed to me. That could make the forum much easier to read...

I'm all for that!
Ben YVR

6yjjk

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting QB737 (Reply 82):
But an "ignore list" would come in handy. Can be a private list, not visible to others. And postings from users on my ignore list would then not be displayed to me. That could make the forum much easier to read...

I'm all for that!

Nice idea in theory, messy in practice. To make it work properly, it'd have to hide every post quoting users you ignore, even if that's only a small part of the post (just like the mods have to delete all posts quoting one they delete)...

ghostbase

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:28 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 78):
Heretic!!! Away with you! You'll be asking for the non-av forum to be canned next!!!!!

Now that IS a good idea  Wink

In fact that is part of my problem with the RR system. I happily admit am one of the people who intensely dislikes the non-av forum and would prefer to see it 100% canned tomorrow, it adds nothing whatsoever to aviation knowledge or photography on this site and requires none as well. Basically it could be a forum located anywhere on the web for all the relevance it has here. This argument has already been discussed many times so I won't go on about it!

I accept Diamond's point that the photo database and the discussion forums are two very separate sections of this site and that photographers earn 'respect' through the number of photos added and number of views, I just feel that they are too separate. What does annoy me is that many posters have 'earned' their RR through mainly posting in the viper's pit known as the non-av forum and for the life of me I cannot see what there is to be respected about some of the bilge posted there or what those posters bring to the rest of A.Net.

IMHO there does need to be a closer link between the photo database and the discussion forums and I would like to see some sort of recognition of being a contributing photographer when posting here.

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

kmh1956

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Leave it alone; it's harmless. Anyone who obsesses over the RR clearly has issues which will not be solved by removing the RR feature.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Why is the RR so Important to some.Its just saying "I Like you"....leave it alone if it does not interith the Forest you & get along wum which is more Important.Not the RR.

regds
MEL

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 85):
Leave it alone; it's harmless. Anyone who obsesses over the RR clearly has issues which will not be solved by removing the RR feature.

checkmark  I'd add too that it would only start a thread here in Site Related demanding its return.
I lift things up and put them down.

jafa39

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 am

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 84):
I happily admit am one of the people who intensely dislikes the non-av forum and would prefer to see it 100% canned tomorrow

Don't go there, I never go to the Aviation Hobby Forum....really is that simple  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 88):
Don't go there, I never go to the Aviation Hobby Forum....really is that simple

Exactly, wouldn't care if Avn Hobby vaporized in a cloud of dust tomorrow myself . . . .

We're even I guess . . .

Something for everyone.

Don't like a specific forum, don't visit it. And don't bitch about it either.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

mirrodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:21 am

Ghostbase, I like your points.

I never really saw much valuein the RR simply because we are on an aviation website and the RR does not relfect what level of av. knowledge you bring to the table. Likewise regarding photography. My respected usersgoes back to 2000 and the people on it have truly earned by respect for the following reasons:

I mean, for instance, I've never forget how years ago how several users really went out of their way to explain a few things and clear some misconceptions I had about aviation. And it was years ago, but their willingness to teach truly deserved respect. I felt they deserved to be on my list.

But even that is debatable in that we've had a few users I can think of, in the past, who worked in the industry, knew their stuff but unfortunately they presented themselves as having major attitude issues or as being very arrogant.

So again, on an aviation board, rather than popularity, I think a respect rating should reflect the level of aviation knowledge you have and your willingness to teach others about it. I've always felt that and continue to.

If I'm wrong, then I guess we need to re-evaluate what this respect rating should reflect.

a side note
I was surprised about the comment about alliances. First thoughts on my mind were Star and OneWorld too.

But then again, from reading this thread, if we have this RR and no one here can even really agree on what it truly is supposed to represent. He's thiking alliances, sh'es thinking otherwise. Then what purpose, other than a sophomoric high school popularity contest, does it serve?

If no one can agree to what exactly a rating represents, then it has no value.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:31 am

True.
Respect....Someone for the nice things they do like sharing Knowledge,Helping out other members with tips thru their posts.

I have personally been lucky to have CD-Roms mailed to my residence from people half way around the world only because they thought it would help me in my studies.

Those people are the ones that get respect.Not the "I like you" [RR on Anet] rating.

regds
MEL

Yellowstone

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:00 pm

While I don't see anything particularly wrong with the RR setup the way it is now, it would be kind of interesting to have separate RRs for the aviation forums and the non-av forums, as I'll admit that the people on my RU list got there because of particularly insightful points they made in non-av.

And for those of you who think the formula isn't transparent enough, here's a very clear explanation I heard once. Suppose you have an RR of 15. That means that if you add up the RRs of all the people who have you on their respected user list, that sum is 15 percent of the sum of all the RRs of the people who have ANCFlyer (or whoever else is at 100) on their respected user list. Hopefully this is a bit easier to understand, if not to calculate. The calculation involves fancy recursive algorithms and stuff that I don't understand.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 92):
calculation involves fancy recursive algorithms and stuff that I don't understand.

The Formula is the Biggest Mystery.

regds
MEL

adriaticus

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:17 pm

I find the RU handy to give me an idea of the credibility of anything a fellow a.nutter is saying. That alone, if anything else, makes it a useful feature. My vote is for keeping it.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

Dazed767

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Slightly off topic, what happened to the whole F/A job?

dl021

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

I don't know about the rest of the group, and I haven't read the last 20 or so posts on this thread.....I will but I wanted to put my thoughts down before I forgot them.

I think it's a useful tool for showing respect (for whatever reason) for other members. It lets them know that you think enough about them and what they write (in my case it's often after a face to face meeting as much as their writing) and my list includes people with whom I'm diametrically opposed in airliner/political/philosophical views.....but there you go. I don't have to agree, and I think that many who want to do away with the RU system view it as either unegalitarian, unfair to them, or simply don't like the feeling of being judged openly.

Well... the world is all of those things and being judged for your writing (personality/thinking/expressions) is part of it.

Quoting QB737 (Reply 82):

I'm all for that!

I dunno....part of the spice is getting the stuff you don't like too.

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 84):
In fact that is part of my problem with the RR system. I happily admit am one of the people who intensely dislikes the non-av forum and would prefer to see it 100% canned tomorrow, it adds nothing whatsoever to aviation knowledge or photography on this site and requires none as well.

Well, if you don't like it don't visit it. It gives members of this community an outlet to discuss things other than aviation with people of like interests and it has come in very handy for many members (it's gotten some folks home for the holidays and others married.....so chew on that). In my time on Anet I've spent loads of time reading the aviation threads, and seen dozens of constant cheering for manufacturors with BS statistics and totally disengenuous and self-righteous boosting of one airliner or another....and it doesn't slow me down from looking at the threads there. I've seen the same airplanes over and over again in the photos, and keep looking at them. I read trip reports galore and never post my own (although I've got pics and keep meaning to)....
None of that makes me want to disembowel forums I don't like.

Why do you want to do away with something that hundreds of users actually use, and thousands lurk on to enjoy? If you don't like it then tune out. It's not slowing down your enjoyment of the parts of the site that you like....is it?

Same goes for RU ratings. If I want to let JGPH1A know that in spite of the fact that he's a blithering leftie and wrong about alot of things that I like how he writes and I enjoyed meeting him as a fellow aviation enthusiast in Paris a couple years ago then I appreciate having that option to use. If I want to add a photographer on my RU list because I like the color saturation on his photos or the fact that he gets rides in really cool airplanes to take his shots (or I saw his stuff in AI or something) then I'd like that option and it's one of the ways this site is interactive.

If you don't like RU rating then state it to be so in your signature or your profile and don't add anyone to yours.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 90):
If no one can agree to what exactly a rating represents, then it has no value.

I think that's easily solved. If I add someone to mine I tell them why. Dismissing it as a popularity contest is incorrect in my opinion, as it's much more than that to many of us. If I added you then theres a reason, and it's not because you're pretty or that you're going to cut my grass. I save that for presidential candidates.

[Edited 2008-01-12 14:53:56]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:05 am

Quoting Adriaticus (Reply 94):
I find the RU handy to give me an idea of the credibility of anything a fellow a.nutter is saying.

Unfortunately it does not hold true always.I know Excellent contributers to the forum in Tech ops,that share immense knowledge willingly but have single digit RRs.
Hence I believe RR is a "I like you" rating.

Its only with time you will realise how good a particular poster is....Some can be good with a low RR & others with a high RR.
It would depend on how many people know you.

regds
MEL

BestWestern

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 am

The RR is a very useful tool to identify if someones rumour carries weight or not...
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 98):
The RR is a very useful tool to identify if someones rumour carries weight or not

The Best Identifier would be time spent reading the concerned member posts & judging rather than an RR number.

regds
MEL