Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Respect Rating... Should We Do Away With It?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 pm

I sent an email to Monique (Flyheligirl), and she told me to start a thread to see what others think about doing away with the respect rating.

If mine was 0 or 100, I see no purpose with it. Johan even said that the math used to determine one's respect rating was very complicated, but I don't believe he ever gave a good reason for putting it there.

I for one, am all for doing away with it. But what do you guys think?

I feel it is just a useless line of code that doesn't do any good at determining the respect one has. We do that all by ourselves.

Comments, Suggestions???
Puhdiddle

ANCFlyer

RE: Respect Rating... Should We Do Away With It?

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:05 am

Maybe your opinion has something to do with this:

BR715-A1-30 From United States, joined May 2002, 6488 posts, RR: 5,

Personally, I don't care.

That said:

ANCFlyer From United States, joined Nov 2004, 21397 posts, RR: 100

I say we keep it.  silly  snooty  bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2007-12-19 16:07:06]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:29 am

Hey, Mine could be 4, 3, 2, 1, or even 0. The point is, I don't care what my respect rating is, I just think it is useless, and not fairly accurate.

I.E. AncFlyer, I think you're a worthy contributor to the forums, and in turn I respect you. But since your RR is 100, and that is the highest it goes, that obviously means that LOT7674593423127344 respects you too, and we all know he doesn't. Shouldn't it be on a matter of percentage, or what?
Puhdiddle

viaggiare

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Thread starter):
I for one, am all for doing away with it. But what do you guys think?

I personally see no need to do away with it. However, limiting one's ru list to 25 (35 for first class) members in a community of 60,000+ doesn't make much sense. I say keep that same 25:35 ratio and increase the limit to 50 (75 for first class) members.

I don't believe he ever gave a good reason for putting it there.

The Respect Rating is not a perfect measurement of how much a user contributes to the community as a whole but it is much better than anything based on number of posts or membership signup date.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

Queso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:22 am

Keep it. It's useful for checking alliances.

ANCFlyer

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 4):

I disagree . . .

Given that there are people upon whos list I appear for no other reason than to boost their own, I want you to note that there are many people on my list that I am one eighty out on every subject.

I won't mention names, but suffice it to say, not everyone on my RU list is in league with me, or my thoughts on any subject. It's their ability to communicate, state their reasons, sources and then have the gut to stick with it . . .

That's what I'm impressed with.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

futurecaptain

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 am

Keep it, and make it more complex and add more useless code.

It was suggested some time ago to add a "disrespected users" box, which would be kept private, but which would lower those users RR. Lets add that feature, a disrespected users area witn no limit would maybe get users(those who care about these things) to post more quality and then you couldn't just add ANCFlyer to your respected list to boost your numbers so easily. You would have to not be disrespected by the forum also to boost numbers.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

National757

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:18 am

Keep it! RRs make the A.net forums unique.

viaggiare

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 6):
then you couldn't just add ANCFlyer to your respected list to boost your numbers so easily.

Adding him (or anyone else) to your ru list has no effect whatsoever on your own respect rating. At the risk of over simplifying things, it has to do with people adding you and other people adding them.

a disrespected users area witn no limit would maybe get users(those who care about these things) to post more quality

Stated simply, your purported objective (however well-intentioned) would quickly be subverted in actual practice. Besides, there will always be posts of varying quality in a forum like this one. It's just part of the dynamics and amusement.

ZakHH

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):

Given that there are people upon whos list I appear for no other reason than to boost their own, I want you to note that there are many people on my list that I am one eighty out on every subject.

I won't mention names, but suffice it to say, not everyone on my RU list is in league with me, or my thoughts on any subject. It's their ability to communicate, state their reasons, sources and then have the gut to stick with it . . .

That's what I'm impressed with.

That's a great attitude, which again is probably one of the reasons for your RR being 100  Wink

Seriously, I fully agree, and my criteria for my RU list are quite the same. Imho, a discussion forum is not about finding allies, but rather about finding people with different views, who master the art of conversation.

Still, I'd agree with Queso - for many users, their RU list is probably mainly displaying their allies...  Wink

As for the initial question:

I'd say: no, why should we? It's one of these small unique details of a.net. We have lost too many of them already, so why give up another one without need?
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

B747forever

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:12 am

No, we shall not do away with it. It is something that show how respected you are in A.net, and I think it is something important to have.
Work Hard, Fly Right

B747forever

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 am

And BR715-A1-30, if you want to do away with the RR, why do you even use it???
Work Hard, Fly Right

6yjjk

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:27 pm

It was suggested some time ago to add a "disrespected users" box, which would be kept private, but which would lower those users RR.

I'm all for that - the most blatant A/B trolls would end up on there for a start. I already keep a DU list in my head anyway; it'd be good to have it actually be some use. If 20,000 respected members think you're a [email protected], that *should* put a dent in your RR. (HEY! give me my RR back!  Wink)

DU suffers from the same problem as RU - just as Mr Boeing Troll can add some dweeb to his RU for making an "i liek boeing lol" post, he could add a member to his DU for making a very insightful post criticising Boeing.

That said, some people who I thought would end up on my DU list actually made it onto my RU list. Perhaps some safeguards would need to be in place, maybe a "cooling off period" - you have to indicate that you disrespect a given post of mine, and then another a week apart, before I'm on your DU.

Actually, I really like the Slashdot "Karma" system, where your individual posts get scored and your rating goes up or down accordingly. The key to its success is that people only get a limited number of "points" (chances to mark up or down) and only every so often, and the vast number of people doing likewise generally outweighs any person or group's agenda. The only thing I disagree with is how easy it is to max out your karma - just stick around and don't post nonsense. That could be improved.

skywatch

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:05 pm

Welcome to my RR list! Big grin

I say we keep it. I find it useful for checking alliances and it gives me a rough idea of someone's credibility.

--Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

ZakHH

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Quoting 6YJJK (Reply 12):

A "disrespect" feature may be too controversial and would probably do more harm than good.

But an "ignore list" would come in handy. Can be a private list, not visible to others. And postings from users on my ignore list would then not be displayed to me. That could make the forum much easier to read... Big grin
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

airfoilsguy

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 11):

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I say keep it.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ALexeu

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:22 pm

When i communicate with somebody at a.net, I don't check their RR, and i don't really give a crap.

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 13):
I find it useful for checking alliances

What are alliances??

B747forever

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 16):
I find it useful for checking alliances

What are alliances??

Think he means that they have the same opinions.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Queso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 4):

I disagree . . .

Maybe I should have explained my thought a little more. I don't use it as a definitive means of checking alliances, it's merely a reference tool. There are users who have certain people on the RU expressly because of their views on certain topics and sometimes that can be helpful to establish (or discount) their credibility.

I too have people on my RU who I disagree with but it's because I have "fought" idealogical battles with them and they didn't resort to making it personal or moving it to PM's because they were unable to maintain enough civility to discuss things in the public forum. It really pisses me off when people do that.

carmenlu15

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:49 pm

What are alliances??

Well, there's Star Alliance, Skyteam, Oneworld...  dopey 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

ag92

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:24 pm

This is just a very honest opinion from my side about the respected users list

Whenever I am reading a thread, and someone with a high RR says something or someone who I know, I am more inclined to believe him than anyone else as he/she has a high rating for a reason. If someone without such a high RR (I meant 0) also says something its not as if I won't believe it, but if someone else says something contradicting with reasons (of course), I am more inclined to believe that person.

To sum it up (or is there a necessary to do that?) I use the RR to see who is more accurate in relaying information on this board.

So basically I like the idea and I don't want it removed

Regards
Ag92

futurecaptain

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 8):
Adding him (or anyone else) to your ru list has no effect whatsoever on your own respect rating.

According to the RR pop-up if the people you respect have a high rating then that will affect your RR positively. So, putting ANC on your list should raise your numbers since he is at 100.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

viaggiare

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 21):
According to the RR pop-up if the people you respect have a high rating then that will affect your RR positively.

Not sure what your source is, but here's the pop-up I'm seeing...

Your Respect Rating is an index based on the number of and the respect rating of the users that have you on their "Respected Users" list.

So basically your numbers are affected by (1) how many people respect you, and (2) the respect rating of those that respect you. That's it.

Then the actual calculation is done using a dynamic recursive algorithm on a relative percentile basis.

ALexeu

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 20):
To sum it up (or is there a necessary to do that?) I use the RR to see who is more accurate in relaying information on this board.

Ok, but this is totally wrong way of judging other people.

[Edited 2007-12-20 09:02:47]

airfoilsguy

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:08 pm

You people are reading too much into this. Its not a life altering index, if you don't like it ignore it, simple as that.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

B747forever

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 24):
Its not a life altering index, if you don't like it ignore it, simple as that.

As I said. If you want to rid away with it, simply write in your user profile PLEASE DONT USE THE RR.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 11):

I dont use it.. I just don't see its use. I could have ANCFlyer's RR and I would wonder what the point was? And based on some other attitudes in here, Does that mean that I could be telling the truth, but because of my 5 RR, I'm lying, but ANCFlyer (No offense dude) could be telling a blatant lie (again, no offense dude), and because of his 100 RR "Hey, he's telling the truth"

Now, From what I know about ANCFlyer, he does not lie, but if he did, how would we know it?

I guess its too complicated, like it was originally, so if you guys think we should keep it, I guess stick around with it. But how can I "not use it" Is there a way to remove it from my profile?
Puhdiddle

B747forever

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 26):
I dont use it..

Of course you use it you have: L1011, Cody, Tom in NO, FutureUALPilot, Flyer732, Dazed767, Jderden777, Srbmod, Gr8slvrflt, KROC, Bruce, jhooper, Airlinemeals, GroundStop, jmhLUV2fly, m717, MSYtristar, tarq, Henks, Clipper002, N243NW, travatl, ANCFlyer, jpetekYXMD80, AirTran737 on your RU list.

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 26):
But how can I "not use it" Is there a way to remove it from my profile?

You can simply write PLEASE DONT USE THE RR!!! For example this user have done it like this: https://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=Alessandro ; look at the other info column.
Work Hard, Fly Right

AC320

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 24):
Its not a life altering index, if you don't like it ignore it, simple as that.

Quoted for truth.

It's one of those things that's there if you like it. If not, it's a pretty small number on the page that you're not going to see if you're not looking for it.

You do get the keys to the A.net excecutive washroom for having the highest, though. Plus a 10% off coupon to Omaha Steaks.
fuddle duddle

Queso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Perhaps a more revealing truth of the RR system is the "co-champion" of having the highest RR is currently serving his 2nd (as far as I know) ban of ONE YEAR or longer: https://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=B747-437B

He and ANC both have a RR of 100 or 99 depending on the mood of the calculator on a particular day.

diamond

Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 29):
Perhaps a more revealing truth of the RR system is . . .

What, exactly, does it reveal? Be specific.
Blank.

srbmod

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 27):
You can simply write PLEASE DONT USE THE RR!!! For example this user have done it like this: https://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=Alessandro ; look at the other info column.

And someone still added him to their RU list.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 27):
Of course you use it you have: L1011, Cody, Tom in NO, FutureUALPilot, Flyer732, Dazed767, Jderden777, Srbmod, Gr8slvrflt, KROC, Bruce, jhooper, Airlinemeals, GroundStop, jmhLUV2fly, m717, MSYtristar, tarq, Henks, Clipper002, N243NW, travatl, ANCFlyer, jpetekYXMD80, AirTran737 on your RU list.

Someone's got some 'splaining to do.....

He may not be "using" it now (as in he hasn't added anyone to it in some time), but has made use of it in the past.

Quoting AC320 (Reply 28):
You do get the keys to the A.net excecutive washroom for having the highest, though. Plus a 10% off coupon to Omaha Steaks.

Funny, I was told the same thing when I became a moderator.......

fumanchewd

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:43 am

Who cares.

People respect people for different reasons. Some for alliances, some expecting a return respect, and some for their vastly varying perceptions of what is respect. If I could somehow get into the negatives, I would be happy.

Not because of my low score  Wow! or because I want to piss anyone off here, but because it is difficult for me to respect someone I have met only on a website. It doesn't mean that I disrespect many, but this is not a place that I can count on to judge someone. Its a shallow indicator of nothing. That's just me though.

If other people have fun doing it though, might as well let them.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Queso

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 30):
What, exactly, does it reveal? Be specific.

I'm not sure I can be "specific", that's why I prefaced my post with the word "perhaps".

Opinion: The points I consider when I think about one of the two people on the site with the highest RR being banned for a year or more illustrate two of the biggest dichotomies of the whole site:

1) Is the RR system meant to be weighted so that the most respected person on the site happens to be one of the ones whose actions are least "approved of" by the staff or is it just a fluke of how the RR is calculated?

2) If it is true that the person with the highest RR truly is the most highly respected person on the site, is it not a detriment to the site to have their most respected member banned? Is it not true that he stands as an example of what "the majority" of site patrons want to see? If that is the case, should the site not be more observant of that person in order to be more responsive to the membership's taste for what they are looking for in the premiere aviation-oriented website?

I don't expect answers to these questions, they are just things that run through my (and I'm sure other's) mind when I consider the situation with B747-437B and I only pose them because of your prompting, Diamond. The website has rules, and they were apparently (in the opinion of at least one moderator) broken. I just hope that ironic situation doesn't reflect greater underlying issues with the moderation of the site.  twocents 

AirTranTUS

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:55 am

It was suggested some time ago to add a "disrespected users" box

I already have one of those.  devil 
I love ASO!

ag92

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 23):

Ok, but this is totally wrong way of judging other people

I understand that, but that is just the way I am accustomed to when reading discussions

viaggiare

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 33):
is it not a detriment to the site to have their most respected member banned?

On the contrary, it attests to the fact that the forum rules are in fact enforced and that no one -regardless of their respect rating- is above those rules.

I just hope that ironic situation doesn't reflect greater underlying issues with the moderation of the site.

And what exactly would those greater underlying issues with the moderation be, in your opinion?

diamond

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:38 am

The points I consider when I think about one of the two people on the site with the highest RR being banned for a year or more illustrate two of the biggest dichotomies of the whole site:

So you are saying that the fact that the person ranked #2 on the RR list is banned may be an indication of something very wrong with the site or it's moderatiing? And yet the person who is ranked #1 on the RR list is a moderator, and genuinely respected by a bunch of people?

Of the top seventy members (ranked by RR) only two are banned. I think that fact speaks for itself.

I just hope that ironic situation doesn't reflect greater underlying issues with the moderation of the site.

See above.

Is the RR system meant to be weighted so that the most respected person on the site happens to be one of the ones whose actions are least "approved of" by the staff or is it just a fluke of how the RR is calculated?

The 'staff' has zero impact the the mathematical calculation that produces the RR numbers. Therefore there is nothing about the RR system that in any way reflects the thoughts or opinions of the staff.

If it is true that the person with the highest RR truly is the most highly respected person on the site, is it not a detriment to the site to have their most respected member banned?

The person with the highest RR rating is a forum moderator, and is certainly not banned (and has never been banned).

You seem to have strong feelings about what the RR says about the site, instead of what it says about members and their friends. So I'll leave it to you to decide: If you look at the top five people on the RR list, ask yourself whether they are very much alike, or very different. Why do you suppose they are that high on the list? All for the same resons? Do you think #1 and #2 are ranked accordingly because they are just alike and bring the same value to the site? How about #3 and #4? My point: people rise to the top of that list for all sorts of reasons.

IMO, it is a statement about the people who've decided to add them onto their own respective lists for whatever reasons motivate them?

Take a look at your own RR standing:

1. You have written above about B747-437B, and his high RR rating. Yet, you do not personally respect him, nor does he respect you. What does that say or mean? Is that a major indication of your personal values, or is that just the way it is?

2. You have not specifically mentioned ANCflyer, but his RR rating is actually higher than B747-437B. Yet, you do not personally respect him, nor does he respect you. What does that say or mean?

3. Take a look at the top seventy people on the RR list. You only respect five of them. And only five of them (the same five) respect you. "If" they are popular because of all the right reasons, yet you don't respect them, what does that say?

Do any of these things make a lasting statement about you? Probably not. And neither do any of the other conclusions you're trying to draw.

[Edited 2007-12-20 21:40:54]
Blank.

B747forever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 31):
And someone still added him to their RU list.

That is someone that cant accept rules.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 31):
He may not be "using" it now (as in he hasn't added anyone to it in some time), but has made use of it in the past

But then he can remove all of the members he has on his list, and send a message to all that respect him, and ask them if the could remove his name from their RU list.
Work Hard, Fly Right

miamiair

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 37):
You have not specifically mentioned ANCflyer, but his RR rating is actually higher than B747-437B. Yet, you do not personally respect him, nor does he respect you. What does that say or mean?

Doesn't mean anything, IMO.

How about RR's for the mods?
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Queso

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:36 pm

So you are saying that the fact that the person ranked #2 on the RR list is banned may be an indication of something very wrong with the site or it's moderatiing?

No, I am not drawing any conclusions or making allegations. That is why the balance of my post was in the form of questions. My goal was to expand the ongoing discussion by bringing different aspects of the RR system into it. I only used B747-437B as a tangible example of one extreme of the RR system. There was no practical way to give an example of the other extreme because there are too many users with an RR of 0 and also a myriad of reasons for the same.

And yet the person who is ranked #1 on the RR list is a moderator, and genuinely respected by a bunch of people?

I think that's a very good thing. Was the person who was #1 on the RR list before him offered moderator status? Would he have been accepted as a moderator if he had answered a request for members to volunteer as mods? Would he have been accepted into any of the other Customer Service or Photo Screener or Chat Op positions, had he applied? (I know these are all theoreticals and again, just points to ponder.)

Since you mentioned it and I think we both agree he is highly respected by the membership, is the moderator who has the #1 RR position ever looked to for guidance on moderating by the other mods?

Of the top seventy members (ranked by RR) only two are banned. I think that fact speaks for itself.

Tell me what you think that says. Take off your mod hat if you want to, but I really would like to know your opinion of it since you brought it up. I'd really like to know what others think it says about the site too, if anything.

The 'staff' has zero impact the the mathematical calculation that produces the RR numbers. Therefore there is nothing about the RR system that in any way reflects the thoughts or opinions of the staff.

Understood.

The person with the highest RR rating is a forum moderator, and is certainly not banned (and has never been banned).

Also understood. Does that make any difference?

You seem to have strong feelings about what the RR says about the site

Nah, not really. I think the RR system itself has a few fun and ironic quirks to it that I have tried to illustrate but it's not the "end-all and be-all" of how the site works.

You seem to have strong feelings about what the RR says about the site, instead of what it says about members and their friends.

Even though I already quoted the first part of this, I wanted to include the whole sentence again to make sure it was taken in context. I addressed what I think the RR system says about "members and their friends" and how I use it earlier in the thread. Bottom line for me is you can take it or leave it. I just wanted to throw my vote in so if it came down to numbers my voice would be heard.

My point: people rise to the top of that list for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, that's very true and it's a good point to make.

You have written above about B747-437B, and his high RR rating. Yet, you do not personally respect him, nor does he respect you. What does that say or mean? Is that a major indication of your personal values, or is that just the way it is?

You have not specifically mentioned ANCflyer, but his RR rating is actually higher than B747-437B. Yet, you do not personally respect him, nor does he respect you. What does that say or mean?

Interesting question and good catch. I had ANCflyer on my RU list for a long time but I needed to add somebody else and I judged that it wouldn't ding his RR at all if I took him off my RU so that's why he's not there right now. I still highly respect him (and feel sure he knows that) and several others who are not on my list. As has been suggested earlier, if the RU list was expanded to allow more people on each users' list, you can bet he would be there. You might be there too.

Do any of these things make a lasting statement about you? Probably not. And neither do any of the other conclusions you're trying to draw.

Well, I really regret that you think I am trying to draw any conclusions within the scope of the RR system as that wasn't my intent. Any implied conclusions regarding other concerns would be out of the scope of this thread and I wouldn't want to take it off-topic.

Thanks for responding, Diamond.

Tom12

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Personally i like the having the RR. I think it forces me to post at the highest standard i can. It might sound bad, but i enjoy trying to get my RR higher, and to do that i must post at high quality, which benefits everyone in the forums, or the discussions that i am part of if i am posting to a good standard.

I don't have the highest RR, but i still think it is an excellent idea.
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

A342

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:08 pm

According to the RR pop-up if the people you respect have a high rating then that will affect your RR positively.

That's my gripe with the system. Some members who are desperate to increase their RR rating will simply respect all those members with a high RR rating. But why should that entitle them to a higher "status"? IMO that's nonsense.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

aloges

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:44 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 42):
That's my gripe with the system. Some members who are desperate to increase their RR rating will simply respect all those members with a high RR rating. But why should that entitle them to a higher "status"? IMO that's nonsense.

It would be if it were so:

Quoting Viaggiare (Reply 22):

Not sure what your source is, but here's the pop-up I'm seeing...
(...)
So basically your numbers are affected by (1) how many people respect you, and (2) the respect rating of those that respect you. That's it.

That's how I've always understood it and the way it's logical.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

airlinelover

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Maybe your opinion has something to do with this:

BR715-A1-30 From United States, joined May 2002, 6488 posts, RR: 5,

Personally, I don't care.

That said:

ANCFlyer From United States, joined Nov 2004, 21397 posts, RR: 100

I say we keep it. silly snooty bigthumbsup

Hmm..  Wink

What are alliances??

The Alliance is the enemy of the Horde..

RR is useless.. Get rid of it..
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

diamond

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 40):
Since you mentioned it and I think we both agree he is highly respected by the membership, is the moderator who has the #1 RR position ever looked to for guidance on moderating by the other mods?

Yes, he is. All of us are asked for a 2nd opinion from time to time. He's offered feedback to me many times, and I believe I've done the same.

Tell me what you think that says. Take off your mod hat if you want to, but I really would like to know your opinion of it since you brought it up. I'd really like to know what others think it says about the site too, if anything.

You're asking me what I think it says that 2 out of the top 70 members are banned. Ok. I think it says that 2 out of the top 70 broke one or more forum rules to the extent that it required a ban. Both have been banned numerous times. So it may say that they don't believe the forum rules really apply to them. It may say that their love of vioalting forum rules is far greater than their love of aviation. It may say that the seek popularity with other banned members by repeatedly getting banned. Or it may say that they just screwed up badly when writing a post. The possibilities are pretty vast. Nothing more.

I would ask this: what does it say that 68 of the top seventy members are not banned?

Also understood. Does that make any difference?

Speaking only for myself, yeah it makes a difference. I don't think you can fairly say, " .. the #2 person has been banned and that has huge significance, but the #1 person has never been banned and that doesn't really matter at all .. ". I think it's only fair to view both sides of the equation. For every person that is currently banned, there are 1,033 that aren't.

You might be there too.

Well that one I didn't see coming.  Smile
Blank.

srbmod

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:35 pm

So you are saying that the fact that the person ranked #2 on the RR list is banned may be an indication of something very wrong with the site or it's moderatiing? And yet the person who is ranked #1 on the RR list is a moderator, and genuinely respected by a bunch of people?

And was high on the RR list even before becoming a member of the moderator staff.

Quoting A342 (Reply 42):

It's not necessarily so. The RR isn't like grading on a curve. Putting a user with a high RR in your own RU list in order to bump your own RR doesn't help all that much if the user in question doesn't already have on their RU or add you as a result. In addition, it could also drag down someone's RR as well.

Leskova

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:09 pm

To be honest - I'd say let's keep it... who knows what new bugs taking out those lines of code would reveal. Does anyone around here really want to take the chance that a.net goes offline again just because a feature is removed??
Smile - it confuses people!

QANTAS077

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 7):
RRs make the A.net forums unique.

in what way? I mean I know plenty of other forums that I'm a member of and they have buddy/respect lists...if you think its unique then you need to get out a bit.

MCOflyer

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 am

The RR rating has its ups and downs like anything. The ups are that you become more respected from the posts you make, new friends, and new fans meaning people look up to you. The only down is just like a RR rating goes up, it can go down if you disrespect people on your RR. We all are unique and that is what makes this so special. Some people have RR of 20 something and have only 2 people they consider to respect yet many people respect them.

That is the way how I get it. So, please do not do away with it.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.