Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

ANCFlyer No Longer Crew

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 am

Hiya Members . . .

I wanted to let you know, before the rumors and the  redflag  that DM has dismissed me from the Crew. As I'm told from DM, I'm too blunt, direct and essentially, not user friendly with the members. This came completely out of left field this afternoon, and no one on the crew knew until it happened . . . alas, it ain't Johan's A-Net anymore.

I am of course baffled at that since my RR is 100 and has been such for the most of the time I've been a Moderator . . .

A business decision I guess from the new owners . . .

Not to worry, I'll still post, I'll still duggest deletion of the hundreds of duplicate threads in Civ-Av, I'll still be here. I have a lot invested in this site and I'm not going to let some corporation in SoCal drive me away. Further, I'll support Airliners and will continue to support airliners . . . . I won't post at the "other" sites because, well - they suck.

Airliners is the premier site for Aviation nuts . . .

To any member I ever pissed off, well - too bad. To any member I was able to help, you're welcome. To any member that doesn't care . . . cheers . . .

ANCFlyer
Former Forum Moderator
And, regardless of what DM thinks, All Around Swell Guy
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

APFPilot1985

RE: ANCFlyer No Longer Crew

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:00 am

Wow Pep, we may not have seen eye to eye on a lot of things over the course of time and I wasn't to happy to hear you were a mod at first but after interactions with you over moderating issues I would have to say you were honestly the most helpful and straight shooter there was. I am really disappointed by this decision (nothing new from DM.)
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:15 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 2):
I am really disappointed by this decision (nothing new from DM.)

Indeed. Very disappointing. How dare they mess with the hat!!

It's their loss ANC. Good to see you'll still be around though.

Now, how long will this thread last before getting canned or locked?

[Edited 2008-02-05 17:44:52]
I lift things up and put them down.

MD11junkie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 am

Hey Pep,
This is really disappointing. I'm saddened by this decision by DM.

404 rings a bell to me...
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

a380us

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 am

I had no idea this was comeing
Om so sorry!
www.JandACosmetics.com

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 am

I am going to miss you deleting my post(s) ANC. I hope in the future you can join in another position. I call a toast to Pep.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

SNCNtry32

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
ANCFlyer

I hate it when people pussy foot around the issue, what people need is blunt honesty and I have a feeling you delivered it. Thank you for the work you did, and serving too.
Long Live Memphis!

xjramper

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:35 am

I have yet to see DM make any smart moves.

That is unfortunate to hear. You were someone that would have made a difference and unfortunately they must have feared that you may have had an opinion. Methinks that DM is exercising groupthink and god forbid someone that had the fortitude to say something negative be on the crew...

Shame.

I am drinking some wine at the moment. I shall raise my glass to cheers you!

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

fxramper

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 am

ANCflyer retires, again!

A damn fine friend and all around guy. I hope you continue to contribute on the site MstSgt. Pep.

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:13 am

As I'm told from DM, I'm too blunt, direct and essentially, not user friendly with the members. This came completely out of left field this afternoon, and no one on the crew knew until it happened . . . alas, it ain't Johan's A-Net anymore.

You are blunt and direct. So what? I agree with a lot of the things you say, although, if I was on the receiving end of some of your blunt remarks, I might've sassed (and earned a ban), but some people need a kick in the pants, and sometimes I'm one of them.

DM, you've demonstrated plenty of failure in your "migration" and now you can't handle having someone in your crew having a bit of an edge. Where will you fail next? We're still waiting for more than just the site receptionist in giving server updates when they'd be handy, which is, what . . . often? Your mismanagement of this site doesn't reflect well on your boss, Richard Rosenblatt. Going off nothing more than this site, a casual observer would likely conclude that your boss and his business is nothing more than 2nd tier in the tech world.
Living the American Dream

j_hallgren

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:59 am

As I'm told from DM, I'm too blunt, direct and essentially, not user friendly with the members.

That's EXACTLY what non-av needs! I've never been directly on the receiving end (that i recall), but the comments that I've seen by you have always been very accurate, valid and needed, IMO.

Besides, you've got the background to put up with the young-uns here who need some guidance!

Thanks for your efforts!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

nosedive

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:09 am

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 am

Yet another poor decision by DM. It's just beyond belief. One of, if not THE, most respected users on the site, was a fair and objective moderator, and is exactly the kind of personality needed for good moderation. Unbelievable.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 10):
Absolutely a ridiculous move on DM's part.

checkmark  Sorry DM, you messed up on this one. Seriously.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

CALTECH

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:31 am

ANCFlyer
Former Forum Moderator

All round swell guy, you are better than that. You have been great in my dealings with you, DM has made a big mistake.
You are here.

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 am

I am very disappointed that it was deemed necessary to remove my prior post. I will reword what I said in a fashion that is hopefully more acceptable.

I am extremely disappointed in DM's decision to remove Pep as a moderator. Pep's bluntness and outspokenness was welcomed. At least you always knew where you stood with Pep. It does not make sense to me that someone as respected as Pep would not be considered a suitable moderator.

I strongly, strongly disagree with DM's decision in this matter. And, hopefully I will still be allowed to say that I think it is

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 10):

Absolutely a ridiculous move on DM's part.

I hope the remaining mod team will allow the membership to express our dismay with this move, albeit in a calm and non-harsh manner.
But that was when I ruled the world

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:45 am

I have a request to the moderating team Could perhaps a mod chime in here and explain how this happened? Were you consulted? Were the Head Mods consulted? Or was this a unilateral decision on the part of DM?

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:50 am

I also wish to add that Demand Media has stated that they would try to communicate better with the membership. I think many of us would agree that one of Pep's very strong points is his honest and direct communication. The removal of Pep as a moderator does not jive with DM's stated goal of better communication.

VC-10

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:01 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 19):
I have a request to the moderating team Could perhaps a mod chime in here and explain how this happened? Were you consulted? Were the Head Mods consulted? Or was this a unilateral decision on the part of DM?

The none mods were not consulted. I have to say though I can see where DM is coming from and on more than one occasion I did counsel the mods that Pep's style would not go down well long term.

A.net is no longer a small hobby site, it is now part of a brand and the brand has a standard to maintain. DM has plans that a bad rep could bring down.

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:06 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 21):
I can see where DM is coming from

Can you explain that to us? I ask because it seems to be a mystery to those of us who are not mods and not crew.

VC-10

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:08 am

I would have thought my second para would have explained it

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 am

DM has plans that a bad rep could bring down.

Disdain for the membership, unexplained extended downtime, website bugs, lack of communication, and the demotion of a moderator who is seen as fair and openly communicating could also give DemandMedia a bad reputation and affect their plans.

I have to say though I can see where DM is coming from and on more than one occasion I did counsel the mods that Pep's style would not go down well long term.

Unfortunately a large number of members of this site do not agree with you. Pep may have been blunt but he spoke openly and truthfully. Should I take Pep's removal as a moderator to mean that DM's plans for the long term do not include openness and truthfullness?

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:16 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 24):

It explains your point of view, but it doesn't jive with the good of the site. If DM value the community as part of their brand, then 86ing Pep from the team reflects the opposite sentiment. It just doesn't make sense. Also, ScarlotHarlot said it well...

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 25):
Disdain for the membership, unexplained extended downtime, website bugs, lack of communication, and the demotion of a moderator who is seen as fair and openly communicating could also give DemandMedia a bad reputation and affect their plans.

Their own actions are what will hurt the brand, not the actions of an excellent moderator.

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 17):
I am very disappointed that it was deemed necessary to remove my prior post.

You're not the only one.

I have to say though I can see where DM is coming from and on more than one occasion I did counsel the mods that Pep's style would not go down well long term.

Someone, unfortunately, has a pretty poor ability to discern it seems when judging that bluntness and outspokeness outweighs a more visible ability to judge equitably and yet maintain an understanding.

Not so.

DM has plans that a bad rep could bring down.

DM already has a bad rep of its own, though - to borrow from ANC, pot/kettle/black? If this was done by DM (and not underhandedly by some twisted mod), someone might think to clean up one's own rep in other ways first . . .

I think this sums it up . . .

Pep's bluntness and outspokenness was welcomed.

. . . which is a contrast in character from the way DM operates (for example, concerning the incomplete migration) . . . blunt vs vague, outspoken vs. often silent . . . substance vs. style . . . yeah, he's not the DM mold.  relieved 

To whoever had a hand in this, congrats on expanding the bullseye on DM's collective forehead . . . waiting for DM itself to sell this or get bought by a company that can pull the trick . . . think Rick might get a clue and throw Anet into any possible deal involving Yahoo?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:18 am

The none mods were not consulted.

confused 

What?

It's nothing to do with DM, in general, more along the lines of personality conflict . . . you and I nevr saw exaclty eye to eye either . . . the fact that moderator inter-communications must remain confidential prevents me from mentioning a few specifics - I'll just say we have different styles of communication. Although, I've seen some of your message traffic to members, and it's no more or less blunt than mine . . .

Before, VC-10, you try to paint the picture of me as the big bid guy here, allow me to say no one on the Moderator Crew was briefed . . . it was a summary decision by a person at DM. Furthermore, if I'm such a big bad guy, why the 100RR, apparently, I didn't anger too many people here with my "style". Apparently.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:20 am

A question was politely asked. Such a dismissive response is uncalled for. As a representative of this site you could use your words to help defuse and calm this situation, rather than implying that the person who asked the question is not intelligent enough to find his own answer in your prior post.

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 am

First, I'd like to say that I'm pleased this thread is still up. I was sure it would have "vanished" by now.

it is now part of a brand and the brand has a standard to maintain.

Granted. I think we all understand this. But as Scarlet points out, DM has not, in the opinion of the membership, done a lot that contributes to the "brand." ANCFlyer should have been the least of their worries.
I lift things up and put them down.

N1120A

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:25 am

And that is an understatement.

A.net is no longer a small hobby site, it is now part of a brand and the brand has a standard to maintain. DM has plans that a bad rep could bring down.

That paragraph explains nothing about the fact that ANCFlyer, who everyone knows has strong opinions, has moderated this site in an unbiased and efficient manner, as opposed to moderating in a hypersensitive way or a way that exercises personal bias against certain members. Such cannot be said about other moderators of this site.

ANCFlyer is part of what is right about this site, not what is wrong about it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

VC-10

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:27 am

Unfortunately a large number of members of this site do not agree with you.

That old hobby horse - let's say that the site has 5,000 active members the number who disgree are but a handful.

Disdain for the membership, unexplained extended downtime, website bugs, lack of communication,

For years the site was held together with knotted string as it expanded (that is not decrying Johans efforts that built the site into something that was marketable). DM are having to undo all those knots to get the site running more seamlessly, inevitably this means there is going to be some unscheduled down time. What do you want DM to do? Communicate every little thing they do, or get on with the job in hand?

[Edited 2008-02-05 21:32:41]

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:31 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 32):
First, I'd like to say that I'm pleased this thread is still up. I was sure it would have "vanished" by now.

Yeah, I'm glad it's still here, too.

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 31):
What do you want DM to do? Communicate every little thing they do, or get on with the job in hand?

Maybe meet in the middle? I suggested elsewhere having a short series automatic alerts to post whenever the site is about to experience downtime. That would be a small, yet meaningful, upgrade in that thing about which DM seems to think at which they're sooo good - communication

the number who disgree are but a handful.

Fortunately loud enough, at least, to be heard here.

APFPilot1985

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:32 am

That old hobby horse - let's say that the site has 5,000 active members the number who disgree are but a handful.

I would say slightly more than a handful:
UPS Pilot, Eastern L1011, DeltAirlines, OPNLguy, Dispatcher, L-188, Dan-Air, Type-Rated, Tom in NO, SCXmechanic, Dinker225, commander_rabb, FDXMECH, 737-990, MaverickM11, KROC, futureUALpilot, J_Hallgren, searpqx, PanAm_DC10, An-225, aerobalance, roadrunner165, fly_emirates, jetdeltamsy, United_Fan, cfalk, copter808, [email protected], Goldenshield, mbird139, RoyalDutch, srbmod, Boeing4ever, Sabena332, homer71, CcrlR, RyDawg82, ihadapheo, OzarkD9S, Banco, Boeingnut, Gunships, MxCtrlr, NWA742, noelg, gigneil, FlyingTexan, dan2002, ScarletHarlot, AndrewUber, jetjack74, JetsGo, A340Spotter, UAL777, StarAC17, JGPH1A, BCAInfoSys, VSMike, F9Widebody, navymidn, SHUPirate1, electraBob, garnetpalmetto, GSPITNL, RamerinianAir, 4xRuv, ilikeyyc, XJRamper, Delta767300ER, texan, Tlima, usnseallt82, ShyFlyer, sacflyer, FlagshipFalcon, SmithAir747, N276AASTT, AsstChiefMark, msllsmith, mrniji, FURUREFA, Go3Team, Yukimizake, JuniorSpotter, PHLBOS, SkyWestFan, Jorge1812, wdleiser, greasespot, itsjustme, Nucsh, frugalqxnwa, DL021, Nosedive, NWADC9, JetJock22, saxdiva, AzoresLover, Lowrider, MarkATL, VSFullThrottle, JetMechMD80, miamiair, nwafflyer, burnsie28, MoMan, N229NW, pilotaydin, Falcon84, AGC525, LO231, STLGph, JumboJim747, BananaBoY, Alias1024, GuitrThree, Springbok747, bep0181, USAF757300, newark777, Chugach, StowAway, ViveLeYHZ, Biggles, CO7e7, Zone1, hawk44, adam, LPLAspotter, wukka, Ozair, Sinkrate, mham001, Jdwfloyd, 11Bravo, Doona, kevinL1011, Skywatch, Greyhound, RAMPRAT980, jafa39, TedTAce, TPASXM787, UH60FtRucker, ORFflyer, MrChips, richardnhsv, GQfluffy, Euclid, Jamie757, PanHAM, lordanmol, ZKEYE, KBFIspotter, halls120, kmh1956, WestJetForLife, AirTranTUS, FighterPilot, COERJ145, ZakHH, Drewfly, BHMBAGLOCK, Cadet57, wrighbrothers, 777DAD, Roger136913, September11, thepilot, loisencroach, DeltaGator, davestanKSAN, glid4500, MDorBust, airfoilsguy, NZPM, 3DoorsDown, flyingbabydoc, crjflyer35, piercey, mrmeangenes, warreng24, LawrenceMck, N776AU, scallar, Gatorman96, ptharris, Georgetown, reyes27, ImperialEagle, AlexPorter, aloges, NeilYYZ, AndesSMF, alaska737, GulfStreamGirl, GSOShutout55, QXatFAT, Raffik, CastleIsland, baguy, DeltaDC9, m180up, PHLstudent, Queso, United767, Piff, FlyDeltaJets87, BAW076, gh123, ATCGOD, PRGDLGUY, allstarflyer, AllegiantAir, N710PS, ZBBYLW, adopim88, RJdxer, AA787823, Scooter01, uzzzer, ABQ747, KaiGywer, Fumanchewd, AAce24, curticool, DeltaAVL, WCS, IFEMaster, AF340, mark5388916, CALTECH, FLYB6JETS, Norlander

There really is no question that he is the most respected user on the site though, and I am sure that the RR takes into account others who have rated him's RR
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

IFEMaster

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 30):
let's say that the site has 5,000 active members the number who disgree are but a handful.

And I would bet good money that those who disagree are amongst the most active of that number.

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:40 am

You will note that I am trying extremely hard to be polite, rational, and calm. I do not appreciate cheap jabs such as

That old hobby horse

You have the power to remove my posts that are harsh or flamebait. I do not have the same power to remove yours. For the sake of productive discussion, I ask you to respond in a polite, rational, and calm fashion.

let's say that the site has 5,000 active members the number who disgree are but a handful.

I suspect that it will be found that many more than a handful of members disagree. I also suspect that there will be a number of members who do not speak up on many items, but who are becoming more and more disturbed by DemandMedia's actions. It may be found that this poor decision to remove Pep will cause more people to speak their minds.

What do you want DM to do? Communicate every little thing they do, or get on with the job in hand?

On the other threads regarding DM, I have stated my thoughts on this matter. I will not do so again, except to say that DM has stated their comittment to the membership of A.net and that they wish to communicate the site progress to us. Today's actions by DemandMedia demonstrate just the opposite.

TedTAce

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:46 am

I used to love to proverbially rape Johan for his shortcomings, but the one thing I have to readily admit was that he A) made a genuine effort to communicate what and when he could B) stood up and took the heat like a man when he had to.

I don't think it would have been so bad if DM hadn't have said, 'ok guys, we are taking over the site, there will be outages, there will be issues, we apologize in advance'. But no, it was whistling past the graveyard with 'you won't notice any changes' and low and behold we have.
This space intentionally left blank

da man

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 34):
I suspect that it will be found that many more than a handful of members disagree. I also suspect that there will be a number of members who do not speak up on many items, but who are becoming more and more disturbed by DemandMedia's actions. It may be found that this poor decision to remove Pep will cause more people to speak their minds.

Absolutely, DM is just digging themselves deeper into the hole they started digging during the server migration.
War Eagle!

Tornado82

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:03 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 32):

Add me to that list.

Why is the new ownership so afraid to step up and take criticism? Is there a reason that only critical posts are deleted? I frankly think VC-10's "horse" reply is just as rude/flaming/disrespectful as many of the other posts deleted in this thread earlier tonight (i.e. it's not, but neither were the others, and what's good for the goose...). Simple questions, why can't we get simple answers? I'm not throwing stones nor lighting flames, I just want to hear a response from the powers that be, please, I'm asking nicely...

Can we hear from Monique on this thread? She's quick to throw a positive spin on threads (then promptly lock them) but it seems at times she almost refuses to post in the threads where there is alot of heat in the kitchen. Why can't an official DM response (from the paid employees) come on this thread instead of just deleting all criticisms... because when it looks like you guys are hiding something, that is what leads to the most distrust and complaint about the new regime. Monique, we ask you... please post here and let us know what's up!

The direct quote that was added to this forum a few days ago is

Quote:
This is the place where Airliners.net related information will be posted like dates for scheduled downtime, info about new sections and features etc. This is also the forum for suggestions, comments and constructive criticism related to any part of Airliners.net.

So why does the constructive criticism keep getting deleted? I respectfully implore someone of a higher power to answer that.

L-188

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:11 am

Sorry to hear about that ANCFlyer.

It's got to make you feel like that 4th guy in a red shirt on an away mission with Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

I have kept my mouth pretty much shut for the time being because I really haven't seen to much to complain about. But I would have to say this was about as smart of a PR move as Conoco-Phillips getting Frank the Bank to push their pipeline plan......Alaskan's will get the reference.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

VC-10

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:12 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 38):
I frankly think VC-10's "horse" reply is just as rude/flaming/disrespectful as many of the other posts deleted in this thread earlier tonight

I apologise for my comment if it offended.

The truth of the matter is that people alway say how the majority of members are annoyed etc but when you look at the big picture it is just a handful of the membership who are complaining, less than 1% of the active membership.

Tornado82

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 40):
The truth of the matter is that people alway say how the majority of members are annoyed etc but when you look at the big picture it is just a handful of the membership who are complaining, less than 1% of the active membership.

But that "less than 1%" probably is responsible for 20% or more of the total posts/activity here. There are alot of "active" members who don't really do much "activity." Just like that prior, completely bogus, "70,000 members" number that got tossed around here a month or two ago.

AA777

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 32):

There really is no question that he is the most respected user on the site though, and I am sure that the RR takes into account others who have rated him's RR

RR ratings are not the be all and end all of a persons behavior... I have experienced many of his posts to be unecessarily rude and unprofessional. Maybe some people call it 'brutally honest," but thats not the descriptor I would associate with it. But for the sake of discussion, I dont believe that everyone here on this site was thrilled with his way (or lack thereof) with words. At any rate, I think we should give DM more time to get the site up to speed and running at the level they would like....perhaps in time everyone will find the improvements worth the wait.

-AA777

ScarletHarlot

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:22 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 41):
RR ratings are not the be all and end all of a persons behavior... I have experienced many of his posts to be unecessarily rude and unprofessional. Maybe some people call it 'brutally honest," but thats not the descriptor I would associate with it. But for the sake of discussion, I dont believe that everyone here on this site was thrilled with his way (or lack thereof) with words.

Nobody should flame or argue with AA777 for his input. He is entitled to his opinion just as much as anybody else in this thread.

At any rate, I think we should give DM more time to get the site up to speed and running at the level they would like....perhaps in time everyone will find the improvements worth the wait.

Even if we disagree.  Wink

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 39):

And not everyone who could vote in general elections actually votes, often not nearly what could be the case. When a bunch of people are in a room where there's an argument going on - and anyone's free to say something - how often do a lot of people get involved? How about addressing the content of our "complaints", instead of viewing something peripheral about all of this?

ZBBYLW

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:32 am

This is really disappointing. DM, is digging this site further and further down the drain. It is stuff like this that pisses me off. ANCFlyer was the best mod on this site (and yes he did delete alot of my posts) he moderated fairly and unbiasedly with a direct approach, personally exactly what DM should look for from mods.
Keep the shinny side up!

TedTAce

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:35 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 42):

Nobody should flame or argue with AA777 for his input.

I really wanted to, but I quickly realized how abjectly foolish that would be by looking at his profile. He might be young, and on what I think is the wrong side of the argument, but not only does he make his counterpoint eloquently and respectfully, but it's obvious with his years of membership here that he has more invested here then even most of the crew. As a mater of taste I'll disagree about Pep's style, but as a matter of being patient with DM, I think DM would be VERY wise to get AA777 working for them. He's the only person 'on their side' who seems rational.
This space intentionally left blank

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:56 am

And yet that small fraction of the active membership arguably constitutes a HUGE percentage of the combined experience, intelligence, wisdom, wit and other intangibles that keeps people coming here day after day.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

OPNLguy

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:58 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 40):
But that "less than 1%" probably is responsible for 20% or more of the total posts/activity here. There are alot of "active" members who don't really do much "activity." Just like that prior, completely bogus, "70,000 members" number that got tossed around here a month or two ago.

Precisely!

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 44):
ANCFlyer was the best mod on this site (and yes he did delete alot of my posts) he moderated fairly and unbiasedly with a direct approach, personally exactly what DM should look for from mods.

Speaking as one of the resident fossils here on Anet, I fully concur. It is, of course, now DM's site, and while it's their right to manage it as they see fit, booting ANCFlyer strikes me as short-sighted and counterproductive.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

checkraiser

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:07 am

RR ratings are not the be all and end all of a persons behavior... I have experienced many of his posts to be unecessarily rude and unprofessional.

If he was the only one who thought this then this wouldn't have happened. Fact of the matter is there are only a select few who know the whole story, and it will probably remain that way.

To any member I ever pissed off, well - too bad.

Maybe DM is trying to inject some professionalism into its operations? Can you fault them for that? Would you want somebody that crass representing your company?

Could DM handle some things better? Absolutely. But you have to remember that the site is a business, not a hobby. You do what you have to do to make a buck. Any of you who own your own business or have a managerial position should understand that.

A.net will live to see another day. I see a number of First Class users outraged in this thread; if you feel that strongly about it you should put your money where your mouth is.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

LASoctoberB6

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 am

I am very disappointed that it was deemed necessary to remove my prior post.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 25):
You're not the only one.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 28):
I was sure it would have "vanished" by now.

Wow.. I guess I wasn't the only one after all.. Well anyway, Pep, even though I didn't have as much conversation with you e-personally (if that makes sense), your brutally-honest was never taken to the heart if you get what I mean. I will miss being emailed saying that my post was deleted by you.  Smile

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 37):

Add me to that list.

Seems as thought that function isn't working.... Yet.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

kiwiinoz

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 am

I haven't got involved in the forums too much lately, due mainly to other commitments so have not been privy to how this has come about.

Personally though, I think this is a good result, both for the site, and ANC Flyer.

For starters, I think someone as opinionated as this member would probably prefer to express views more openly and aggressively than what the principles of moderator behaviour should allow. No doubt, (even though undectectable to the naked eye!), there may have been occasion where ANC Flyer chose to "bite his tongue" purely on account of his status as "internet hall monitor".

Additionally, even with this self moderation, apart from those in the "in" club of ANC's RR, (and yes, it does not take anywhere near the majority of the site's members to get an RR of 100, as evidenced by the numbers posted here), the style of this mod is generally a little agressive and intimidating. Maybe not for some of us, but don't forget about the 16yo housebound airliner geek sitting at home with this as one of their few social outreaches in this world. I would have to suggest that that is the bread and butter of a site like this. This member has made many statements about respecting the presentation of fair and balanced aruguments blah blah, however I doubt this to truly be the case, given the style of exchange that usually comes about once he is challenged on his views/opinions.

So it's win/win really, isn't it?

In the end, it's really not a big deal. No doubt in a few days all will be forgotten, and the airliner geeks will come back out of their shells!!

KaiGywer

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 am

Sucks to see you go Pep. At least, now, you can voice any opinion you want.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

andessmf

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:07 am

OK, let me see if I get this straight:

The site has suffered from a changeover that is the epitome of how NOT to do it.

The site related forum has plenty of threads about site problems that are still not fixed, months later.

And now DM has found the time to dismiss a moderator for being 'outspoken'...

The whole situation just boggles my mind, I cannot conceive in my wildest dreams the logic of all of this.

May I point out that a moderator job is per definition one that will always leave one side unsatisfied. Those who complained about Pep in the past will probably complain about his replacement in the future and so forth.