Birdwatching
Topic Author

IMs Are Cut Off

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:13 pm

I've had this problem for the second time now: I receive an IM and I only see the first few words, the rest is missing. My name has a special HTML character in it (o-umlaut) and it's always cut at that point. Any way to fix this? Anybody have similar problems? From my PHP knowledge I'd say the special characters are poorly converted, so the query fails from that point on.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

TACAA320

RE: IMs Are Cut Off

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
I've had this problem for the second time now: I receive an IM and I only see the first few words, the rest is missing. My name has a special HTML character in it (o-umlaut) and it's always cut at that point. Any way to fix this? Anybody have similar problems? From my PHP knowledge I'd say the special characters are poorly converted, so the query fails from that point on.

It's also happening to me!
Bug?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Sabena332

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
My name has a special HTML character in it (o-umlaut) and it's always cut at that point.

Fellow A.netter Andreas and me noticed the same some days ago. We wrote IMs in German and they were always cut-off after a German "Umlaut". We simply switched to the "ae", "oe", "ue" version but it would be cool when this bug could be fixed. I am used to type the German "Umlaute" when writing in German and I do not always remember to avoid them when I write an A.net IM.

Patrick

Edited because of typo.

[Edited 2008-03-02 15:26:20]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:07 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 2):
would be cool when this bug could be fixed

A simple htmlentities() would fix this. Not exactly rocket science.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Toast

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Yep, got the same thing during a recent exchange of IMs in German.

It's annoying to get a message like this...

Quote:
Die neuen Besitzer dieser Website sind Arschlö

...and try to figure out what your interlocutor meant...
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Can we get a response from tech please? This is a 3 minute fix. I'll do it for you if you let me.

Soren  santahat 

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:25 pm

I've had this problem as well, incidentally whilst sending a message to Birdwatching, but the last line of text transmitted and the missing text did not contain any foreign characters;

"That sounds great, I got a great fare
from Luton, "

Then it just cut the rest of a quite long message containing information about the MAD/FRA and KBP meets. Also, checking this PM I see that I've had one from another user, but that no yellow message telling me of this has been flagged up.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Just wondered if we had any update on when this little bug might be fixed? It seems to occur now every time that a currency symbol (£/$/€) is inserted in the message; the symbol and everything else after it is completely cut off. Of course you can get around it by writing GBP instead etc... but it would be handy to have it fixed.

Thanks,

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:19 am

It's been a month and a half now since I first asked the question about a tiny problem that can be fixed in minutes, and I didn't ever get a reply from tech. I even suggested a solution. What's the matter?

Soren  santahat 

Braybuddy

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
Quote:
Die neuen Besitzer dieser Website sind Arschlö

...and try to figure out what your interlocutor meant...

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Mon May 05, 2008 2:17 pm

So it's been 2 months and the problem has not been addressed. A new thread on it has appeared recently
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/74280
so the problem is not fixed yet.

It is really annoying because I have a nonstandard letter in my name and the PMs sent to me are always cut off.

Could the developers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take 1 minute of their valuable time, it really doesn't take more than one minute, just add htmlentities() around the variable where the form data is processed and saved to the database. Or even better, give me all the passwords and I'll do it for you!  devil 

Thank you!
Soren  santahat 

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 pm

9 months later and I still don't have an answer. A child could have been born during this time! But apparently a fix that takes less than a minute is too much!
Could you PLEASE add this tiny bit of code, as I said I'll do it for you, it takes 10 seconds, I'm serious.

Soren  santahat