Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyheligirl
Topic Author

New Airliners.net Photo Widgets

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi all,

Our team is proud to release the new Airliners.net photo widgets, similar to what we have now for "Photo of the Day." These widgets can be put on personal homepages and gives accreditation to all photographers. Once the photo is clicked (on the widget), a larger view is shown on the bottom of the widget, then the user can click to view more photos which links directly to that photo. Similar to the "Photo of the Day" this feature should allow people to host their favorite pictures on their personal homepage and in turn, bring more exposure to the photos (and photographers) hosted on Airliners.net.

We have 4 widgets types to start (and possibly more to come in the future) See Widget page here, www.airliners.net/feeds/

1. Top Aviation Photos

2. Photographer’s Choice

3. Top Rate Photos

4. Specific Photographer Widget

The pictures rotate daily for all categories. For example, if "Joe the Photographer" has 100 photos, the Specific Photographer Widget will show 10 fresh photos per day until it starts over again. For the Specific Photographers Widget, the rotation is completely random and not by newest photo uploaded. For users that have no photos uploaded, the default shown on their profile page will be the Top Aviation Photos Widget. In the near future (a week or so) we are building an opt-in and opt-out for users so they can choose (or choose not) to display the widget on their profile, depending on personal preference. Widgets are available for personal web pages.

This is a new feature and we would like to hear your feedback. If you have any comments, questions or feedback, voice your thoughts here and please keep your comments constructive. We hope you enjoy this feature and hope we can work with you to make the widgets a success.

Thanks,

Monique

KPWM

RE: New Airliners.net Photo Widgets

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 pm

I think this is a great feature. Kudos to everyone involved. I do have one question, how many photos does a photographer need uploaded on A.net in order to get their specific photographer's photo widget? Would it be 10 because the widget shows 10 photos at a time? In my case, I only have one photo uploaded and wasn't surprised to not have my own widget. I'm just curious what the cut -off was.
Thanks,
KPWM

jetmech

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:32 am

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
These widgets can be put on personal homepages and gives accreditation to all photographers.

Can the widget be placed on Facebook? If so, how?

Regards, JetMech

san747

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:52 am

I was very happy to see this feature on my profile. Cool new feature. Probably the first positive addition since DM took over. Thanks very much!  Smile

ShyFlyer

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:20 am

I'm really not all that enthusiastic about the widgets. Will they be the downfall of this site? No, but I don't see any real value being added either. Guess I'm not a widget type of guy.

In the near future (a week or so) we are building an opt-in and opt-out for users so they can choose (or choose not) to display the widget on their profile, depending on personal preference.

This is a good idea. However, I think the roll-out of the widgets could have waited until this feature was ready.

jamman

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 am

Thank you for placing this in my profile page but I would like it to be removed, thanks.

ORFflyer

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 am

Quoting Jamman (Reply 7):
Thank you for placing this in my profile page but I would like it to be removed, thanks.

Agreed - I liked my profile the way it was. Please remove this "feature" from my profile as well.

oly720man

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:59 am

And it does make things a bit silly for those who, for whatever reason, wish to withhold their real names and then find it above any photos they may have taken (assuming the photographer name is "real", that is.)

Kieron747

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:33 pm

I too would prefer to not have it my profile. I liked it better before that widget thing.  Sad

Kieron

MD11junkie

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm

This is a new feature and we would like to hear your feedback. If you have any comments, questions or feedback, voice your thoughts here and please keep your comments constructive. We hope you enjoy this feature and hope we can work with you to make the widgets a success.

Monique,
Is there an option for "no widget"? I've been trying to get it off my profile - and I can't, or can't get around to do it.

It would be nice, too - if anything is released that is able to be embedded in our profiles - to ask whether with like it or not (and I mean by that, by making it optional and letting the user making it active on its own, rather than push it into the profile).

This is just contrstuctive criticism.

Thanks,
Gaston.

bmibaby737

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Its very compressed and the photos that have been resized are jagged; the over-all impression is not very good. I too would like this to be removed from my profile and would like the option for me to do so in my profile settings.

IMO, you need to update this https://www.airliners.net/ownsearch/ and give it a newly designed box.

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Don't need it, don't want it - please remove this from my profile . . .

Perhaps the ability to opt out . . .

B747forever

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Okay, it is a nice idea, but members shall have the opportunity to choose to remove it from the profile. And did you guys asked if we wanted this future?? If yóu had it, seems that I have missed it.

JeffM

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 18):
And did you guys asked if we wanted this future??

You didn't miss anything, they don't have to ask anyone's permission to make changes on their website..... And as mentioned, the ability to opt out is in work.

In the near future (a week or so) we are building an opt-in and opt-out for users so they can choose (or choose not) to display the widget on their profile, depending on personal preference.

AirScoot

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 19):
Quoting B747forever (Reply 18):
And did you guys asked if we wanted this future??

You didn't miss anything, they don't have to ask anyone's permission to make changes on their website..... And as mentioned, the ability to opt out is in work.

As paying members of this website, in a sense, our membership gives us the right to reflect on these changes. They don't have to ask, no.. but hopefully they would want buyin on an option like this rather than irritate their paying customers. (If you can post in here, you had to have paid something).

The point is... make it opt in/opt out BEFORE you launch it.

JeffM

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 20):
As paying members of this website, in a sense, our membership gives us the right to reflect on these changes. They don't have to ask, no.. but hopefully they would want buyin on an option like this rather than irritate their paying customers. (If you can post in here, you had to have paid something).

Reflect all you want..... but nowhere in the terms you agreed upon is there anything even remotely close to any "right" to have a say in the content. Quite the opposite if you look back on those new terms....

allstarflyer

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 22):
Reflect all you want..... but nowhere in the terms you agreed upon is there anything even remotely close to any "right" to have a say in the content. Quite the opposite if you look back on those new terms....

And we can all choose to opt out, if we so desire. The point you seem to be missing is that this, to some users at least, was an unwelcome addition, regardless of whether or not they have unlimited power - we all get what you're saying, though.

AirScoot

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 22):
Quoting AirScoot (Reply 20):

Glad to see you took the whole comment to heart. We will continue to reflect on the changes made.. and we will do so in site related.. where it is appropriate. If you don't like the fact that the majority of the posts in here have been negative, that is your prerogative. It's not going to stop people from pointing out a feature that, while decent on the surface, is not universally accepted or wanted.

We will agree to disagree.

I will also add that though there is no written "right" to have a direct say in the launch of any content, it is indeed my right to express my displeasure in the outcome or product. As a paying customer that brings revenue into a.net/DM's coffers, I will continue to express my opinion that this was a poorly thought out launch. As a vendor, it is in a.net/DM's court to decide if irritating the people who provide additional revenue through membership (notice that I am a FC member and have been since I signed up almost 3 years ago) is worth the hassle. I honestly believe now that they have begun to right some of the mistakes of the past, they do not intentionally wish to do so any longer.

All that said, I take it as an implied right to critique new features and/or their rollouts.

JeffM

Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 23):
The point you seem to be missing is that this, to some users at least, was an unwelcome addition,

I didn't miss your point at all, and for the record, this addition wasn't welcomed by me either. You don't even have any photos in the database, so I guess I really don't understand your concern in the matter at all.

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 24):
If you don't like the fact that the majority of the posts in here have been negative,

No need to put words in my mouth....I could care less whether the majority of posts are positive or negative. You too have no images here, what difference does this make to you?

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 24):
it is indeed my right to express my displeasure in the outcome or product.

..as it is their's to disregard it.

either way....I'm done with this silly issue.  Smile

OHLHD

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:17 pm

I do not take a look at my profile 10 times a day so it does not bother.

legoguy

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm not bothered as to whether it's in my profile or not. I guess most people missed the part where next week, there will be an option to remove the feature in question from their profiles.

I did give the widget a quick go and I think it would be better if the photos, when clicked upon, would open up on a seperate tab or web page rather than the same one as I disliked having to go backwards to view the photos list again.

Will this Widget become available to place on the users desktop similar to the Airbus Orders widegt from Paris last year?

MD11junkie

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 21):
I'm not bothered as to whether it's in my profile or not. I guess most people missed the part where next week, there will be an option to remove the feature in question from their profiles.

I guess many people missed it because it was forced into the profile, with the option not being there at first.

Halcyon

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:35 pm

How can I make the widget display my one photo? As long as it is there, I might as well make use of it. I'm just trying to use the feature in the way I want.*

*Serious here. My photographer name used to be different. Will it automatically display your photos if they are linked to your profile? I originally had a photographer account which Kai kindly changed so that I can access it from this current account.

Anyway, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand how to make it work.

[Edited 2008-03-27 14:41:03]

ShannoninAMA

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Let's try this again..

Chalk up a vote in the "Don't like it" column for me.

Shan  half 

legoguy

Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 22):
I guess many people missed it because it was forced into the profile, with the option not being there at first.

With all due respect... Obviously you didn't bother reading the full opening post either.

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 9):
Monique,
Is there an option for "no widget"? I've been trying to get it off my profile - and I can't, or can't get around to do it.

In the near future (a week or so) we are building an opt-in and opt-out for users so they can choose (or choose not) to display the widget on their profile

I do not see what the fuss is about if the widget can be removed from profiles within about a weeks time.

A question to those who dislike the feature; Do they just dislike seeing the widget when visiting someone else's profile? I can see how that would be annoying after a while.

I wonder when the user selects to disable the feature from their profile, will it just remove the feature from their profile or will it also remove the feature from anybodys profile that they view.

catsfan

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 am

Let me try this again....... Not a fan. It would have been helpful if the opt in/out function was implemented with the photo widget.

ShyFlyer

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am

I just noticed that members now have the option of displaying the widget via the edit profile page:

Thanks for implementing this feature quickly!

MD11junkie

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for implementing it this fast.

allstarflyer

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I see it, too, and like it, thanks.

Filler

Kieron747

Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes...

Thanks very much for the option to remove it!

Kieron

flyheligirl
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 26):
Thanks for implementing this feature quickly!

Thanks for posting... left before I was able to post, glad you got the word out.

Sorry for not implementing it before launch, but hopefully 2 days didn't kill anyone  Smile

Monique

ilikeyyc

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:25 pm

Opted out

I don't see the point of putting it in a profile anyway as I One) Never visit my own profile, and Two) rarely view the profile of others.

Seems to me that the feature would be better served if displayed where the tower ad goes.

[Edited 2008-03-28 12:26:22]

KPWM

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 22):
How can I make the widget display my one photo? As long as it is there, I might as well make use of it. I'm just trying to use the feature in the way I want.*

*Serious here. My photographer name used to be different. Will it automatically display your photos if they are linked to your profile? I originally had a photographer account which Kai kindly changed so that I can access it from this current account.

Anyway, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand how to make it work.

I'm having the same problem. I can't get it to recognize me as a photographer. I've had the same account all along too. Anybody know how?

flyheligirl
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting KPWM (Reply 32):
I'm having the same problem. I can't get it to recognize me as a photographer. I've had the same account all along too. Anybody know how?

The rules are this... if you have 5 pictures in the database or more you will have a widget in your profile dedicated to your pics only, if you have 4 pics or under your widget will default to the "Top Aviation Photos" widget. Sorry, upload more photos  Smile

Let me know if that answered your question.

Thanks,

Monique

KPWM

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Reply 33):

Yes it did. Thanks a lot!

je89_w

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:27 am

The rules are this... if you have 5 pictures in the database or more you will have a widget in your profile dedicated to your pics only, if you have 4 pics or under your widget will default to the "Top Aviation Photos" widget. Sorry, upload more photos Smile

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Elite

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 am

It would be cool if it could be something like the photo albums, where you can select photos you like to put on the widget. Oh well, since it'll only be a weeks wait or so I guess we'll survive  Smile

Braybuddy

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Add another one to the "Don't want it" vote. Why did it take so long to have a removal option? It should have been there from the start.

SFO2SVO

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 35):
Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Had same issue once - my was replaced by generic version.
Removing and re-adding the widget fixed that.

RyDawg82

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Howdy,

I am still unable to select the user-specific option. When I go to the feeds page, I only show the first three options. Can someone explain how I can get the additional option?

Thanks,
Ryan

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:28 pm

The rules are this... if you have 5 pictures in the database or more you will have a widget in your profile dedicated to your pics only, if you have 4 pics or under your widget will default to the "Top Aviation Photos" widget. Sorry, upload more photos

I don't seem to have the option, as Ryan, of the user-specific option, and I have more than 4 pics in the db (but less than 13  Wink )

regards  Smile

dreamflight

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 40):
I don't seem to have the option, as Ryan, of the user-specific option, and I have more than 4 pics in the db (but less than 13 )

Same problem here - only have three options.
No possibility to create widget with my own pictures.

Rgds,

Jan

braby

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:05 pm

Quoting RyDawg82 (Reply 39):
I am still unable to select the user-specific option. When I go to the feeds page, I only show the first three options. Can someone explain how I can get the additional option?

To create the widgets for my own user photo's i had to have my name visible in my user profile and then the option would become available.

Rgds

Braby