Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Time For Some Positivity I Think!

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm

This site has been a rather depressing place to be lately, and Site-Related in particular seems to be something of a hotbed of malcontent at the moment. I’ve just been reading through the posts on this forum and it seems there is an air of negativity about the place. I have to ask myself why.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Youri Thonon - Contrails Aviation Photography

I’d just like to say, as one of the older, wiser members on the site, that I still love a-net as much as ever, and it is still an invaluable tool for me in my professional life, and a staple of my browsing habits in my personal life. The photos are stunning, the site works well (most of the time) and the people I’ve met through the site have often become good friends.

The real standout on here are the forums though, which are the best bit of the site, and the reason I keep coming back. Much maligned they may be, but I’ve been coming here for seven and a bit years now and am still learning. I work as a Shipping and Commercial Aviation Business Analyst for a very well respected business analysis firm in London and have my degree in Maritime Business. The airline part of my job is sourced and referenced solely from personal knowledge and the majority of this I glean from A-net. Indeed, most of what pays the bills and keeps the rain off my head comes from what I’ve learned in Civ-Av.

I have had a few run-ins with some of the Mods but some are very good actually, and without wishing to name names, PanAm-DC10 has been brilliant. None of the other mods have anything much to contribute to CivAv as much as he does as far as I can tell, and his running of the orders threads at the various airshows in the past have been a credit to him and the site. He deserves our thanks. From what I can tell, he keeps things ticking over and is fair, balanced, sensible and mature. Civ-Av would be completely unworkable if it wasn’t for him and his colleagues. All that A vs B stuff can get a little boring and out of hand sometimes so its nice to know we have someone decent and reliable to keep things cool. People do love to slate the Mods on here and on other sites, and I guess it is a pretty thankless task, so its good we have him and people like him.

Other honourable mentions should go to the surprisingly large group of contributors to the forums who actually contribute and who everyone can learn from. People like WingedMigrator, Stitch, Jacobin777, Astuteman, CygnusChicago, Lightsaber, Mariner, Cornish, LipeGIG, BestWestern, Toulouse, Hamlet69, Planeinsomniac, SandroZRH, BlueShamu330, Pihero, Stylo777, Philsquares, Tdscanuck, ConcordeBoy, RayChuang, Columba, FbgDavidson, Zeke, PM, Glareskin, OldAeroGuy and many, many others. It wouldn’t be half the site without the massive knowledge you guys have and I’ve learned loads from you, so thanks.

It isn’t always good fun, and there are some obvious problems, but we should not get bogged down in all that, and just enjoy being here. Say what you like about it, but it’s an amazing site, and I’m glad to be a part of it.

Not wanting to sound like a muppet, just want to say thanks, and keep up the good work.

Rgds,

CM

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Nathan Zalcman - AirTeamImages

What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

andessmf

RE: Time For Some Positivity I Think!

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Thread starter):
I’ve just been reading through the posts on this forum and it seems there is an air of negativity about the place. I have to ask myself why.

Does it matter why some members don't feel happy?

I certainly have lost the 'love' I had for the site.

My reasons for this may be incorrect, or the may be valid. But the biggest issue is that nothing was ever addressed.

If my wife told me she was unhappy, I would immediately atttempt to address any issues, whether I agreed with them or not. At least I would attempt something.

DM hasn't.

They have only fostered a factional war, where those that are happy with a.net (like you) get into discussion about those unhappy with the situation, like me.

And this situation has been allowed to fester long enough that I personally believe that a.net has simply lost its 'heart' and become just another hobby internet site, the type that are very easily replaced.

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 1):
I’ve just been reading through the posts on this forum and it seems there is an air of negativity about the place. I have to ask myself why.

Does it matter why some members don't feel happy?

I certainly have lost the 'love' I had for the site.

My reasons for this may be incorrect, or the may be valid. But the biggest issue is that nothing was ever addressed.

If my wife told me she was unhappy, I would immediately atttempt to address any issues, whether I agreed with them or not. At least I would attempt something.

DM hasn't.

They have only fostered a factional war, where those that are happy with a.net (like you) get into discussion about those unhappy with the situation, like me.

And this situation has been allowed to fester long enough that I personally believe that a.net has simply lost its 'heart' and become just another hobby internet site, the type that are very easily replaced.

With respect, I think one of the main reasons for the problems of the site is the apparent preponderence of members who care only about their personal grievances. These members may perhaps read through my post above, digest what was said then choose NOT to thank the mods and the contributors, which is what the whole article was about in the first place, and simply use it as an excuse to air their dissatisfaction with the powers that be, whom I did not mention in my piece and about whom the piece has little to do with.

I understand you are unhappy, but surely a thread entitled "Time for a little positivity!" is not the place to start gobbing off and complaining. Just a thought.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Newark777

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Of course people who are happy have no need to go post in Site Related (except for this and a few others) and just go about their happy a.net lives, so that would probably explain the majority negative threads here.

And although there are some bad apples, it is hard to say a number of the negative threads aren't justified.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 3):
And although there are some bad apples, it is hard to say a number of the negative threads aren't justified.

I'm not disputing that, but it seems that some people have lost sight of what a fantastic asset this site is. Thats all I'm saying.

Newark777

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 4):

I'm not disputing that, but it seems that some people have lost sight of what a fantastic asset this site is. Thats all I'm saying.

I think we all agree that it's a great site, we wouldn't have paid to become members if it wasn't (and yes, I know some were grandfathered and didn't pay a dime  Wink), but there is always room for improvement and I see the Site Related Forum as a place to make the shortcomings known so they can be improved upon.

Queso

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Any particular reason for embedding the images into your post?

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 5):

I think we all agree that it's a great site, we wouldn't have paid to become members if it wasn't (and yes, I know some were grandfathered and didn't pay a dime ), but there is always room for improvement and I see the Site Related Forum as a place to make the shortcomings known so they can be improved upon.

I didnt pay a dime so I guess that makes me more grateful than most  Smile

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 6):
Any particular reason for embedding the images into your post?

No, not really.

Just like them, is all. Great photos.

Stitch

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 pm

The migration over to DM was certainly a very stressful time and it is understandable that many of us (myself included) were very frustrated with the issues encountered and the downtime we suffered. But we appreciate the site and therefore we patronize it and really miss it when it's unavailable so even though we sometimes complain, we do so out of a desire to see an already excellent site continue to grow.  thumbsup 

NIKV69

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:27 pm

I’d just like to say, as one of the older, wiser members on the site, that I still love a-net as much as ever, and it is still an invaluable tool for me in my professional life, and a staple of my browsing habits in my personal life. The photos are stunning, the site works well (most of the time) and the people I’ve met through the site have often become good friends.

The real standout on here are the forums though, which are the best bit of the site, and the reason I keep coming back. Much maligned they may be, but I’ve been coming here for seven and a bit years now and am still learning. I work as a Shipping and Commercial Aviation Business Analyst for a very well respected business analysis firm in London and have my degree in Maritime Business. The airline part of my job is sourced and referenced solely from personal knowledge and the majority of this I glean from A-net. Indeed, most of what pays the bills and keeps the rain off my head comes from what I’ve learned in Civ-Av.

I have had a few run-ins with some of the Mods but some are very good actually, and without wishing to name names, PanAm-DC10 has been brilliant. None of the other mods have anything much to contribute to CivAv as much as he does as far as I can tell, and his running of the orders threads at the various airshows in the past have been a credit to him and the site. He deserves our thanks. From what I can tell, he keeps things ticking over and is fair, balanced, sensible and mature. Civ-Av would be completely unworkable if it wasn’t for him and his colleagues. All that A vs B stuff can get a little boring and out of hand sometimes so its nice to know we have someone decent and reliable to keep things cool. People do love to slate the Mods on here and on other sites, and I guess it is a pretty thankless task, so its good we have him and people like him.

Other honourable mentions should go to the surprisingly large group of contributors to the forums who actually contribute and who everyone can learn from. People like WingedMigrator, Stitch, Jacobin777, Astuteman, CygnusChicago, Lightsaber, Mariner, Cornish, LipeGIG, BestWestern, Toulouse, Hamlet69, Planeinsomniac, SandroZRH, BlueShamu330, Pihero, Stylo777, Philsquares, Tdscanuck, ConcordeBoy, RayChuang, Columba, FbgDavidson, Zeke, PM, Glareskin, OldAeroGuy and many, many others. It wouldn’t be half the site without the massive knowledge you guys have and I’ve learned loads from you, so thanks.

It isn’t always good fun, and there are some obvious problems, but we should not get bogged down in all that, and just enjoy being here. Say what you like about it, but it’s an amazing site, and I’m glad to be a part of it.

Not wanting to sound like a muppet, just want to say thanks, and keep up the good work.

Nicely written and a nice read.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 1):

Unfortunately it is users like yourself that have attempted to foster this war. You want to believe that anet is a living breathing thing fine, but in the end it isn't. This site continues to provide us a place to post, upload and meet others that share the same interests. Just because it changed hands to an owner that doesn't jump through the hoops you provide doesn't mean our heart is gone. I mean ask yourself one thing, if anet was gone tomorrow would the hobby stop? Of course not, we will still spot, shoot, upload and enjoy. Your trying to make this site a living thing and us dependant on it. This is not true.

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 2):
With respect, I think one of the main reasons for the problems of the site is the apparent preponderence of members who care only about their personal grievances

90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

andessmf

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm not disputing that, but it seems that some people have lost sight of what a fantastic asset this site is.

a.net doesn't provide anything that can't be obtained by other means for FREE. They are not unique.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 11):
I mean ask yourself one thing, if anet was gone tomorrow would the hobby stop?

Of course not. But is a.net offering us something that can't be found in other places? You have unwittingly made my point. If the disapperance of a.net would not cause a dent on the hobby, then DM should give people plenty of reason for them to want to stay.

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 2):
I think one of the main reasons for the problems of the site is the apparent preponderence of members who care only about their personal grievances.

Yeah, and? It does not matter why a customer is complaining. The issue is to give the apparency of caring about what a customer is complaining about, instead of trying to invalidate the customer complaints. That is basic, basic business practice: 'The customer is always right'.

aa61hvy

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:05 pm

LOL interesting group you picked as the "know alls"  bored 
Go big or go home

Newark777

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:23 pm

foster this war.

At least no one is exaggerating the scope of the problem...

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:24 pm

there are some obvious problems

Delays In Posting (by AsstChiefMark Apr 2 2008 in Site Related)
Problem With Top Of Last 24 Hrs (by Maiznblu_757 Apr 1 2008 in Site Related)
Edit Function (by Thomasphoto60 Mar 21 2008 in Site Related)
Update On Chat? (by Cadet57 Mar 31 2008 in Site Related)
No "2008" In Advanced Search (by Vzlet Mar 28 2008 in Site Related)

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/73298/

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/73295/

Just in the last 7 days.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CHRISBA777ER
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Nicely written and a nice read.

Cheers.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 12):
So, how's that application for a crew position comming? Any feedback on that yet?

I'm not applying - never had any plans to. How did you hear that? You must have me mixed up with someone else mate.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
LOL interesting group you picked as the "know alls"

I take it you disagree then. Sorry.

AC320

Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:06 pm

We understand there's always going to be 2 opinions (possibly more) to everything that goes on here at Airliners. However, concerns and comments regarding management and administration should be directed to [email protected]

The individual crew departments are also equipped to handles specific issues or problems pertaining to their area of oversight.
fuddle duddle