flyheligirl
Topic Author

New Homepage Redesign

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi all,

We are proud to introduce and give the community a sneak peak of the new homepage redesign. We worked with the crew to integrate the best aspects of the current homepage into a more modern and up to date look and feel. We are interested to hear community feedback, although we will not be able to use every recommendation, we will do our best to integrate your feedback into the new design. Please remember, this is a mock up so all text is simply a placeholder.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Ads will perform exactly as they do now, First Class members will see no ads other than the 1 aviation related ad on the homepage (exactly as it is now)
- Editor's Choice module is new - this will be a compilation of top pics chosen by the editors
- Search expansion - Search will be expandable but the default is shown (I'll provide a pic of the expandable option soon)

Big version: Width: 1060 Height: 2100 File size: 1327kb

Big version: Width: 1060 Height: 2100 File size: 1316kb

Thank you for your feedback and our team and the crew is really excited to bring to life and highlight the features of the site in modern and interactive way.

Monique

boeingfever777

RE: New Homepage Redesign

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Looks really modern and up-to-date!

You can change the background color it appears?

When will it go live?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Jetsgo

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Could we maybe replace the top ad (Ace Combat 6), and put in a login section. I know ad's are important to you guys, so maybe it could be moved to a lower spot on the page?

Also maybe replace the white background with a light gray?

Will the forums look the same?

Other then that I'd say it looks alright!

[Edited 2008-04-07 14:21:10]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

chachu201

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Just to reiterate what Monique said, these designs have been created after huge consultations with all the crew, and we do hope that you all like them as much as we do!

xjramper

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Not really a fan of the new look, but my suggestions and comments seem to fall on deaf ears.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

JeffM

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 3):
and we do hope that you all like them as much as we do!

Really? Garrish is what comes to my mind when I saw it. There is no 'flow' to it, my eye wanders all over...

GSM763

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:26 pm

I actually quite like this, however if it could be made possible to move the boxes around (like the new BBC homepage) it would be really great.

flyheligirl
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 1):
Looks really modern and up-to-date!

You can change the background color it appears?

When will it go live?

You will be able to change the color  Smile

We plan to have this live by mid-May, hopefully sooner but that's a safe estimate.

Thanks,

Monique

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:43 pm

Well Done. Looks neat, clean, sharp.  thumbsup 

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MDorBust

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 pm

I think it's a pretty good go at a new front page. But... there is one thing

Why the updated A.net logo? The new one with the sparkles looks... well... cheezy bling. I think it would look better if you kept the current logo and extended the faded film motif to the side through the search bar
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

smokeyrosco

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 pm

I never comment on anything like this and I do believe the feel of the site needs to be updated but... I really don't like it. To me it looks like a lot of other sites out there.
John Hancock

AirTranTUS

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 5):
There is no 'flow' to it, my eye wanders all over...

Agreed. Talk about clutter.
I love ASO!

opso1

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:19 pm

It's very cluttered, but I like the idea of the "featured photographer" section. What will that entail??

OSPO1

ShannoninAMA

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Its not that bad acutally. However, Would the different shade of blue on the homepage mean eventually the forums would change to that shade of blue as well? I've always thought the current colors here were some of the best around. Especially since they were easy on the eyes...

Shan

Edit, I'll agree with Jeff on this as well.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 5):

Really? Garrish is what comes to my mind when I saw it. There is no 'flow' to it, my eye wanders all over...

[Edited 2008-04-07 15:32:07]
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

wilco737

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Hello everybody,

1st I'd like to thank DM for that new design!

The initial design was shown to us mods a few weeks ago and then there were about 2 million emails between the mods and DM for feedback! And DM changed it a lot according to our whishes and our feedback! And I must the: this result is really close to what most of the mods wanted to see and claimed to like! It's new and refreshing!
We all should see this as a new beginning between the community and DM! They did a great job there and I bet they will as well in the future...  thumbsup 

It's just a pity that some people always needs to complain about everything, no matter what it is! I guess DM can do whatever they want to and these guys still won't be happy...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

JBo

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

To critique the layout as a graphic artist:

It's way too busy. There's alot of information and very little white space to break it up. It's almost as though the designers tried to cram every facet of the website onto the homepage ... which for a site as large as this ... almost constitutes "information overload" when the user logs on. Which leads me to...

Visual hierarchy: There is none. A very important element of a good page layout is a visual hierarchy, in which the page is laid out so that the viewer's eyes are drawn first to the most important element of the layout, then to the next most important, and so on. The existing homepage has a much better hierarchy with the columns much more defined and the information better organized. This proposed layout makes very little effort to discern the primary elements of the homepage from the secondary and tertiary elements.

White space: Not necessarily meaning the color white, but rather empty space in the layout. Some people may think it's a waste of space, but it's a very necessary element of any good design in order to break up information in order for the eye to follow more easily. There's very little white space on this proposed layout, which adds to the cluttered feel. A little extra padding between boxes or in boxes would give the layout a little more breathing room and look more "comfortable."

Color: I've always thought the muted blue colors on this site gave it something of an elegant feel, though I know others who have considered it a bit "dark" in some manner. Either way, the existing color scheme is very easy on the eyes. The new layout features brighter colors and much harder contrast with the white content boxes ... which, to me, is much more harsh on the eyes. I'm not opposed to brighter colors, but I think a better color palette with some softer contrast would be more effective.

Content: I think the largest thumbnail in the photo previews could stand to be smaller. This would help with some of the white space issues ... it would also resolve some of the parity in size between horizontal photos being previewed versus vertical ones (keep vertical ones as-is, but script it so horizontal ones only go so wide). I would also adjust the video thumbnail accordingly.

That's really all I can think of to critique on the layout thus far. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing ... but the existing layout isn't the most friendly to add new content to, so I can understand the change. Let's just hope that the layout does the site and community justice.  Smile
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

SFO2SVO

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

I like it. Looks clean and search is easily accessible.

One thing, please test it with all browsers before releasing.

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 6):
I actually quite like this, however if it could be made possible to move the boxes around (like the new BBC homepage) it would be really great.

That would be absolutely great - but most of us will shove the advertisements to the very bottom if that's possible

How about beta.airliners.net so we can try the real thing?

[Edited 2008-04-07 15:51:51]
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

Toast

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Here's my feedback FWIW...

1. I really like the look of the top banner with its drop-down menu. I would, however, prefer the buttons in a dark shade of blue instead of grey.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 10):
The new one with the sparkles looks... well... cheezy bling

checkmark  Not a big fan of the sparkles, either...

2. I would also much prefer that there be no white backgrounds on the page. I really appreciate the current soothing color scheme. Many of us spend our time at work staring at blindingly white Word or Excel files. The cool "Johan blue" was a perfect antidote for that daily eyesight abuse. Plus, blue is distinctive, white is generic. Either way, if you're going to keep the white, please make the font color a bit darker.

3. As others have pointed out, the design is cluttered. It would be much easier on the eyes if the multitude of separate boxes were merged into two vertical columns on either side of the screen, i.e., like it looks now. Lots of different boxes - of various sizes, and arranged asymmetrically to make it worse - remind me of that horror of horrors of webpage design, Myspace.

4. I know it's just habit speaking through me, but I was a bit taken aback by the size of the page. The current design, centered and not stretching all across the browser screen, is much less "in your face". The size of everything, plus the white backgrounds, makes me feel as if I was sitting 5 inches from the screen.

That said, the overall effect isn't bad at all. There's no question it looks more up to date with those modern glassy button effects. But the design has none of the distinctness of the current one, which is immediately recognizable. Why throw out a classic and unique style when there are ways to refresh it without losing that uniqueness?

Oh well, it'll probably be like the saga of the new Delta widget. Lots of scorn in the beginning, soon to be followed by "it kinda grew on me".
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Silver1SWA

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:00 pm

I don't like it, but I'm not one for change so it's just a matter of getting used to something new. I really like the current homepage. I hate to see the main logo changed. It's too small and I don't like how the roll of film has been removed. But, since most shoot digital nowadays...bleh...whatever.

I think we have other things that need to be addressed first, like the many bugs that continue to plague this site. Especially over the past week...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AirTranTUS

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 17):

Fantastic post! This member needs to be listened to in this case.
I love ASO!

ThierryD

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
We are interested to hear community feedback

Hi Monique,

first of all I've to express my respect for the work you did and for seeking feedback among us contributors!
I do like the overall more modern look of the site and apparently you also implemented some nice new features.
However I've to agree with Jeff on this one, there's just no flow in the whole design; there are small boxes spread across the site and one has to wander around to find what one is looking for. In aviation we have a term for that: "bad ergonomics"; good ergonomics allow you do find things almost without looking for them. Especially the white color doesn't help in that matter; it's just to big a contrast to the dark blue color of the rest of the site.
So basically, replace the white color with another one that is easier on the contrast and re-arrange the different "boxes" to get a logical flow into it and it should look just fine.

Regards,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

futurecaptain

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
We are proud to introduce and give the community a sneak peak of the new homepage redesign.

Quoting Flyheligirl (Reply 7):
We plan to have this live by mid-May, hopefully sooner but that's a safe estimate.

So, is this for sure the final layout and our opinions are just a curtiosy?

Anyway, looks alot like...
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

Not sure if that is a positive thing to say.

Why does out beloved logo have to be reduced in size to make way for a huge search bar? Could the search not be at the bottom of the page with the logo covering the entire top?

Is there a space in the word aircraft in the "aircraft data" pull down menu at the top of the page?

One more concern. How will the large size of the photos used in this new page affect load times for users with slower internet access. It seems like alot of graphics to load for the home page.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Newark777

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 17):

I agree completely with the whole post, seems very cluttered and less professional.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

TVNWZ

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Nice layout. I can see it is a photo site. Good beat. I can dance to it. I give it an 88.

jamesbuk

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Quite honestly I like the new front page a lot. The old one is boring and it lets you forget a lot of the features Anet has. There are classic designs in the world that shouldn't be changed e.g. American Airlines livery... but then there are some designs that should be refreshed every couple of years and this sites front page is definitely one of them things.

Good change - definitely for the better.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Silver1SWA

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 24):
seems very cluttered and less professional.

Reminds me a little of MySpace...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jamesbaldwyn

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
I hate the new look. I dont know why it needs to be changed. Its fine the way it is. Maybe streamline it, add the features that were developed, but not this. its horrible.

My thoughts exactly. I believe the old look is better and I don't understand why a change is required. If you're running out of space, just kill some of the ads  Wink

WestJetYQQ

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:45 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
Also maybe replace the white background with a light gray?

It would really be A LOT easier on the eyes if it was a darker blue like it is now, IMO, so its good we can change that colour. Also, I don't like how all of the modules are at completely random altitudes. It would look better if they were level with each other instead of all over the place like that. It seems very cluttered, as as been mentioned.

Cheers
Carson

[Edited 2008-04-07 16:52:56]
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

GQfluffy

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:02 am

Kudos on allowing the users to customize their own background on the homepage, otherwise I'd say there is way too much white...

Now if we could bring back the random headers, that would be better, but methinks that'll never happen...
This isn't where I parked my car...

flyboyseven

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 am

First off I would like to thank all the people that spent time on this new look. I know how much time that takes.

I think that with a few small changes such as lining up the boxes on the outsides so that they are at the same hights and toning down the color a little bit it could look quite nice. I am however in the crowd that thinks the current look is really darn nice. Some things i like about the current design that are not there in the new one.

1. A big logo that spans the top of the page like a "gaurd"
2. The page not going across the entire browser
3. Three colums where the center is bigger and on the outside two other supporting colums
4. All variations on the same soothing color
5. The colums staying in their own spaces and not going into the other ones
6. Divisions in between diferent things like links to a survey transition without a dramatic break in the page
7. A very good visual hierarchy as JBo mentiond earlier with your eye moving smoothly from one thing to another
8. Headings and logos and sugh just melding into the background and looking like they belong. On the new one the first class member logo really sticks out to me.

To me it seems that while yes the new look is "modern", it seems to be made on one of those create your own website in five minutes programs. I dont quite know where to look even after staring at it for a minute or two. I know that it wasn't and it took a lot of time and effort to do. It is the sort of look that makes me hit the back button. It is for me the sort of difference between Google and Yahoo!. I have yahoo mail, but I have never searched the web with yahoo. I think that you will all agree that there is just as much information to be found on both, but with Yahoo it is RIGHT HERE!!! and with google it is over there. I dont think I am really making sense, and although I would get used to it and still use it just as much as I do now, I think that A.net would not be but look like just another website. I hope that I havent upset anyone as I appreciate how much work has gone into this, but I would like to make my opinions heard.

Cheers,
Graham  

Just thought of something else. On the new page it has a box with photographers choice and a button for "VOTE". Currently only photographers vote, so would that button only be there as a logged in photographer?

[Edited 2008-04-07 17:21:54]
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

Silver1SWA

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 am

Perhaps DM could include the option, like other websites that have changed their layouts, to continue to use the old homepage if desired?

Just a thought...

Cadet57

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 34):
Perhaps DM could include the option, like other websites that have changed their layouts, to continue to use the old homepage if desired?

Yes! Very good idea.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

aloha73g

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 17):

Overall, I think it looks really good. But agree with JBo that it looks a little cluttered and should ahve more "White Space."

I also am a BIG fan of the current color scheme.

Are the forums and/or other apges going to change as well? or just the homepage?

Great job though  Smile I hope it works as good as it looks!  Wink

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

aa61hvy

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:27 am

It's not bad. I say to those who don't like it don't go to it. Bookmark Non_av or what have you and go on. The only time I'm ever on the front page is to check out the new pics. I mean how much time does a given user stay on the front page?

Not bad designers, not bad....
Go big or go home

calfo

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 17):

I also totally agree with you JBo!

flyheligirl, please make sure the crew reads his post

shep2

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 am

If it ain't broke - don't fix it...

I think there are too many other things that need worked on - seems like there are still problems popping up - maybe those problems should be fixed before creating anymore problems...

NIKV69

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:25 am

I hate it. Moving the logo from the center to the left kills it and the redesign just looks so commercial.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

ShyFlyer

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:35 am

Overall, I don't really care for the redesign. Don't get me wrong, it isn't horrible, but it isn't much better than what we have now. I do, however, like the shade of blue used and the top row menu, but that's all I like about the redesign. The whole thing looks like each section (top photos, editor's choice, etc) was placed haphazardly on the page.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 16):
It's just a pity that some people always needs to complain about everything, no matter what it is!

When asking for feedback, you have to be able to accept the negative along with the positive.

Forgot to add that I don't like how the 747 Logo isn't centered.

[Edited 2008-04-07 20:06:31]
I lift things up and put them down.

[email protected]

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 am

Tells a lot that the advertisment is bigger than the site logo. What about brand awareness?
Looks as bad as the t-Shirt mock ups some months ago (whatever happened to them?).
A big step back (designwise). Featurewise looks ok to me.

Peter (agreeing with NIKV69 for the second time)
-

unattendedbag

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 am

looks too busy for my taste. it looks like the old airliners.net threw up and everything landed on the homepage.

I still don't understand why flightlevel350.com gets top billing on the homepage of this site when airliners.net gets a tiny featured photo at the bottom of theirs.

[Edited 2008-04-07 20:35:37]
Slower traffic, keep right

Newark777

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:29 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 28):
Reminds me a little of MySpace...

I agree, it has that "web 2.0" user customization feel that I really feel doesn't belong on the a.net front page. Maybe we can have our own customizable content page that we can set as our home page, but to have it as the default page for new visitors is bad.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 37):
I mean how much time does a given user stay on the front page?

If you're new to the site, probably longer than us.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

scottieprecord

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 42):
A big step back (designwise). Featurewise looks ok to me.

checkmark  Well said.

Cluttered and unorganized... Honestly, it reminds me of brand-x over there. And I never thought I'd say it, but there are just too many photos on the homepage! We're jumping from 6 currently to like 20.

However, I do think some things are decent improvements. The featured photographer idea is interesting, and I like how photo albums are on the front page.

It'd look much less gaudy and commercialized if there was less white. The current color scheme is pretty nice - photos and text stand out well against the darker background.

viv

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:32 am

With regard to layout, flow and appearance it's a cluttered mess.

It is derivative of many other existing sites.

In my opinion, a waste of time, effort, and resources.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

lindy field

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:15 am

Hi All,

If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it, and better yet, make some suggestions about what you would change and how you would change it. Well-reasoned and detailed criticisms and suggestions like the ones posted by Jbo, Toast, and Flyboyseven are both welcome and helpful. If you want to convince DM to make some alterations, this is the way to do it.

Regards,

Edward

AirTranTUS

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 52):

If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it, and better yet, make some suggestions about what you would change and how you would change it. Well-reasoned and detailed criticisms and suggestions like the ones posted by Jbo, Toast, and Flyboyseven are both welcome and helpful.

Is it enough to say we agree with what one of the above posters said?
I love ASO!

Psych

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 am

Criticism of the site in recent times has caused some difficulties, for various reasons. I hope this will not be the case here. JBo has made some very important points, from a position of experience.

I particularly agree with the issue of 'white' or empty space - the old homepage benefits from this and this new one suffers from a lack of it, leading (in my opinion) to it giving the impressions that every millimetre of space has been filled, not necessarily for the benefit of the overall presentation, and with no intuitive 'flow'.

Also I am surprised to see the A.net logo so small and apparently minimised. To my eye the main logo looks better centred (what would the screeners say!  wink  ). I will reserve my comments on other issues until I have had a chance to look a few times and give the changes more of a chance.

Paul

gkirk

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:07 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 45):
Hi All,

If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it, and better yet, make some suggestions about what you would change and how you would change it. Well-reasoned and detailed criticisms and suggestions like the ones posted by Jbo, Toast, and Flyboyseven are both welcome and helpful. If you want to convince DM to make some alterations, this is the way to do it.

Regards,

Edward

It looks so cluttered it's unbelieveable. It's not very well designed IMO, a good front page needs to be simple, yet effective, like the current a.net homepage - it's got a fair bit on the front page, but it's not enough to make it cluttered so can get away with it.

Sorry, but the new design just doesn't look, or feel right, so hopefully there will be changes to come, IF people listen to the actual users which could be a long shot  Yeah sure

Anyway, if or when it does change, then I'll say it again, RIP to the old and good a.net.  restinpeace 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

paulinbna

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:10 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 45):
If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it,

Monique asked for feedback, the last time I checked feedback also includes saying you dont like it.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

gkirk

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 50):
And it includes WHAT you don't like and suggestions how to make it better, like several people did it in that thread. It's not enough to just say: I don't like it! That's no feedback then! well, no proper at least Wink

So Wilco, you'd have been happy had the MD-11 been designed with 15 engines?  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:14 am

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 49):
Monique asked for feedback, the last time I checked feedback also includes saying you dont like it.

And it includes WHAT you don't like and suggestions how to make it better, like several people did it in that thread. It's not enough to just say: I don't like it! That's no feedback then! well, no proper at least  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane