wilco737

RE: New Homepage Redesign

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:17 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 51):
So Wilco, you'd have been happy had the MD-11 been designed with 15 engines? Wink

Yeah, a lot more power then! no, but seriously! If I would'nt like the 15 engines, I would write a feedback WHY and WHAT exactly I don't like about it! And not just saying: I don't like it! There must be a reason why someone something does not like! And DM needs that to be written down to have an idea WHAT'S the problem with it...
Oh and DM will listen for sure!!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

gkirk

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 52):
Yeah, a lot more power then! no, but seriously! If I would'nt like the 15 engines, I would write a feedback WHY and WHAT exactly I don't like about it! And not just saying: I don't like it! There must be a reason why someone something does not like! And DM needs that to be written down to have an idea WHAT'S the problem with it...
Oh and DM will listen for sure!!

Dunno if you done a web design course when you were younger or not (was that about 30 years ago?  duck  ), but when designing websites, you need to keep them as simple as possible. If you over complicate things, then it's just going to look horrid, which I think is what has happpened here unfortunately. Potential new users will see the front page, and probably think "Eww..that looks very amateurish and they'll end up joining a competing site instead".

For the sake of a.net, I really do hope that they take these concerns onboard. If they do't want to change it, fine there's nothing we can do about it, but I do believe that the front page is what people see first and if it isn't well designed, then they'll go elsewhere.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

BA0284

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:22 am

Well, this is on a personal level, but I like it. Personally i find it easier on the eyes and clearer. From the old design i tend to find that because it's so dark, my eyes seem to ache trying to look at it for long periods of time, so personally for me, I like the look of the brighter layout.

I do agree that the new a.net logo looks a bit bling bling and tacky, but i suppose it does its job. Saying that, i'm not sure that the old logo would look as good on the new design layout, once again, just an opinion. I feel like i need to say that each time just so i dont get flamed by someone! haha

Also I think the old page is quite cluttered, all the links down the left and the right of the page for example. I think the new page is a lot more clearer.

Anyway well done to everyone who's created this, it looks good!

BA0284  Smile
Chris

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:31 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 54):
was that about 30 years ago? duck

rotfl  I wasnt even born 30 years ago Big grin

but when designing websites, you need to keep them as simple as possible. If you over complicate things, then it's just going to look horrid, which I think is what has happpened here unfortunately.

That feedback sounds better like: "I don't like it!" Just specify it a litte more! What would you exactly change? Where to put what? what to remove? etc, give DM some specific input!

For the sake of a.net, I really do hope that they take these concerns onboard. If they do't want to change it, fine there's nothing we can do about it, but I do believe that the front page is what people see first and if it isn't well designed, then they'll go elsewhere.

Give DM another chance, I bet they will listen to the proper feedback and take it into consideration!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Jetsgo

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:50 am

So what happens when we disapprove and make suggestions like everyone is saying to? Nothing. It falls on deaf ears, as noted by early posts that went unanswered by Monique and Deeplight.

So, what can we REALLY do? We WANT to be heard. Just tell us HOW.

[Edited 2008-04-08 00:52:01]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:59 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 54):
So what happens when we disapprove and make suggestions like everyone is saying to? Nothing. It falls on deaf ears, as noted by early posts that went unanswered by Monique and Deeplight.

Maybe take the design, download the image, change it the way you would like to see it! And then send it to them with the specifics what you have changed. And tell them exactly what you have changed and why. Tell them what you like and what you don't like...

Problem will be: there are several thousand active members and I bet everybody has a different opinion about the design how it should be changed. So, DM will receive A LOT of emails about changes. That's why this thread. Here you can write your feedback and things you'd like to see to be changed. And DM will read in that thread! Maybe they won't reply to every post here - they have other stuff to do  Wink
But the mods will talk about it via crew email and give DM the support they need...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Jetsgo

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 55):

That doesn't work though. Many A.net users, including myself, have no idea how to photoshop or design websites. I can offer suggestions like I did in reply two, but I can't really go past that.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 57):

Yeah, but they were not only "unapproving" they were inappropriate!

Absolutely not. They were merely constructive criticism.

[Edited 2008-04-08 01:03:53]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:17 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 61):
But anyway, it's now straying off topic so lets let others have their say.

Agreed!  thumbsup 

And, give DM another chance! Be open minded! That's all I ask for! Thanks!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

lindy field

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:18 am

So what happens when we disapprove and make suggestions like everyone is saying to? Nothing. It falls on deaf ears, as noted by early posts that went ignored by Monique and Deeplight.

Jetsgo,

I think your concerns are valid. I cannot speak for Monique and Paulo, and I can't say to what extent they will take note of user comments. However, I can say that during the internal review of the mock-up, the crew gave a lot of feedback and a number of changes were made in line with what we recommended. I was impressed that our feedback was taken very seriously. To give some examples:

1) some of the photo modules were redesigned because crew members were concerned that photographers would object if their images were displayed cropped on the homepage.

2) the search engine is button is colored in green because the crew argued that it needed to be among the most prominent aspects of the homepage.

3) We made a case for the new editor's section to showcase older photos from the database with rare and interesting subject matter, as a balance to the other modules which will mostly highlight photos of the highest photographic standard or the newest, hottest images.

Of course DM has particular criteria for what the homepage needs to contain. For example, the ads will stay for non-paying members and the photos on the homepage are larger because DM wants to catch the attention of the casual visitor. While DM is very unlikely to completely redo this mock-up, I think they are open to suggestions about how to improve it. The page isn't going to made active for another month. So please offer some advice about how to make the page better. Even if Monique or Paulo don't respond in this thread, crew members are paying attention to your suggestions and we will use our position to lobby DM to implement any particularly good ideas. We will advocate on your behalf. This is an opportunity to have your say; why pass it up?

Personally, I really like the suggestion about giving users the option of viewing the page in a.net's traditional palette of colors and I will try to convince them to make that a possibility.

Regards,

Edward

gkirk

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 62):
And, give DM another chance! Be open minded! That's all I ask for! Thanks!

I have though. Why do you think I stayed relatively quiet during all the major initial problems?

Anyway, dunno if it's possible, but what about an option for users to be able to retain the current home page?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Elite

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:21 am

I've been browsing this site regularly for the past 4 years, and I have gotten pretty used to this, although a new change would be good. An option to switch between the old and new layout would be perfect - perhaps make that an option in our edit profile?

Kukkudrill

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am

I'm not a big fan of the current homepage, which probably puts me in a minority. The current logo has it the wrong way round with "The Wings of the Web" in larger lettering than the site name, and I think the dark blue looks tired and offputting. I suspect the designers would have liked to get rid of the colour altogether but felt this would be too radical for the members. At least individual users will be able to do this for themselves.

The revised logo is better, but it looks overshadowed by the search box in the header section. I would make this smaller.

But I agree with all those who say that the new design looks way too busy. It takes a problem of the current homepage and makes it worse. In my opinion someone just has to bite the bullet and decide which features to leave out from the homepage.

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

lindy field

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:30 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 64):
Anyway, dunno if it's possible, but what about an option for users to be able to retain the current home page?

We can always ask DM if they would give members the opportunity to use the old page, but I suspect that any new features that DM plans to introduce would only be accessible from the new one. I suppose it would have to be up to the members to decide if they're willing to make that trade-off.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 am

As WILCO737 pointed out and Lindy Field;

Maybe take the design, download the image, change it the way you would like to see it! And then send it to them with the specifics what you have changed. And tell them exactly what you have changed and why. Tell them what you like and what you don't like...

This is Site Related and it's your opportunity to represent yourself as a member. All we ask ( and this is not directed at you) is that rather than one or two lines of text saying "I don't like it" and not providing any reason why. Is that Members take the opportunity to evaluate the options afforded and provide valid reasons as to what they believe can be refined.

Reply # 15 is a good example.

I maybe a Crew Member, but I'm also just another member and that I believe is the best and most constructive way to be heard. Thank you.

PanAm_DC10
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

BA0284

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 61):
The revised logo is better, but it looks overshadowed by the search box in the header section. I would make this smaller.

I agree actually, I think the a.net logo should have more prominence against the search box

Just ideas and opinions  Smile

Chris

Stil

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 am

Well, I think actual homepage is distinctive. You can see somebody with a laptop 50 meters away and you will now if any page of A.net is open. Not the same with this design. My opinion is you can redesign the homepage if you feel there's a need to do so, but let the page reminds the actual one because, as said, is quite distinctive.
On the other hand, I miss the useful "latest aditions" link.

Stil
....... Gueropppa! ......

airkas1

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:11 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 15):
To critique the layout as a graphic artist:

It's way too busy. There's alot of information and very little white space to break it up. It's almost as though the designers tried to cram every facet of the website onto the homepage ... which for a site as large as this ... almost constitutes "information overload" when the user logs on. Which leads me to...

Visual hierarchy: There is none. A very important element of a good page layout is a visual hierarchy, in which the page is laid out so that the viewer's eyes are drawn first to the most important element of the layout, then to the next most important, and so on. The existing homepage has a much better hierarchy with the columns much more defined and the information better organized. This proposed layout makes very little effort to discern the primary elements of the homepage from the secondary and tertiary elements.

White space: Not necessarily meaning the color white, but rather empty space in the layout. Some people may think it's a waste of space, but it's a very necessary element of any good design in order to break up information in order for the eye to follow more easily. There's very little white space on this proposed layout, which adds to the cluttered feel. A little extra padding between boxes or in boxes would give the layout a little more breathing room and look more "comfortable."

Color: I've always thought the muted blue colors on this site gave it something of an elegant feel, though I know others who have considered it a bit "dark" in some manner. Either way, the existing color scheme is very easy on the eyes. The new layout features brighter colors and much harder contrast with the white content boxes ... which, to me, is much more harsh on the eyes. I'm not opposed to brighter colors, but I think a better color palette with some softer contrast would be more effective.

Content: I think the largest thumbnail in the photo previews could stand to be smaller. This would help with some of the white space issues ... it would also resolve some of the parity in size between horizontal photos being previewed versus vertical ones (keep vertical ones as-is, but script it so horizontal ones only go so wide). I would also adjust the video thumbnail accordingly.

That's really all I can think of to critique on the layout thus far. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing ... but the existing layout isn't the most friendly to add new content to, so I can understand the change. Let's just hope that the layout does the site and community justice.

checkmark  I agree with Jbo. It's not bad, it just need a bit of tweaking.

FYODOR

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 am

Hi folks,

I also interested the reason of feedback is requested. But it is already a good thing you don't wake up with the new design but your opnion is requested.

So, just couple of thoughts.

First - I'm quite conservative man and I do not like unnecessery changes. I find current design and navigation convinient and any kind of the global changes will be disturbing. The key question is 'What the new design for?' Which exact benefits community and visitors will have? What effect DM plan to have from the changes (the will of oners is a serious reason we have to consider and to respect)? I do not understand well word 'modern' but I prefer words 'convninient' and 'effective'.

Second. For the moment site is not working properly. Again. For almost 4 last days there are a lot of bags. To be honest - I'd be happy to exchange 100 new wonderfull designs to the one well working site, to have pictures are showed, counters working etc. Let fix what we have and we will go further after that? Guys, we just passed through the couple of hard time periods and its really tough to feel youself like at the track on long mountain race - permanent changes without visible improvements.

However if the new design is inevitable future Big grin - some of my visions:
- idea of editors choice is good, as like as any other ways to present more photos at the frontpage - it will give a chance for popularity for bigger number of shots
- to much white at the desigh - hurt the eyes a bit
- what is Top rated shots - just of today? Is it a big differ from the Photographers Choice? I'd prefer to keep it like it is now - with many tiny random shots from all time of Anet existance
- I not sure Top24 like it looks on proposal. Could be good idea to increase it from 3 pictures to 5 and keep 2 previous winners. A also do not like horisontal format of Top24. At the top on the left side (instead of Photographers choice) with one photo leading, four more liders on above and two former winners below - what do think about it?

Its in breif. And sorry for grumbling  Wink I just want it all well working as all we are.  Smile

Regards,

Fyodor

halls120

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 am

Quoting Lindy Field (Reply 43):
If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it, and better yet, make some suggestions about what you would change and how you would change it. Well-reasoned and detailed criticisms and suggestions like the ones posted by Jbo, Toast, and Flyboyseven are both welcome and helpful. If you want to convince DM to make some alterations, this is the way to do it.

You know, when Coke changed to new Coke several years ago, it was based on a perceived need internal to Coke that the brand needed to be updated. We all know how that turned out, don't we?

Why can't we just say we prefer the existing home page? What's so awful about that?

Problem will be: there are several thousand active members and I bet everybody has a different opinion about the design how it should be changed.

What about those of us who don't see a need for such radical change?

Quoting Stil (Reply 65):
Well, I think actual homepage is distinctive. You can see somebody with a laptop 50 meters away and you will now if any page of A.net is open. Not the same with this design.

Bingo. Anet is going to lose a significant edge it has over other aviation web sites if it goes down this road.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

INNflight

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
Editor's Choice module is new - this will be a compilation of top pics chosen by the editors

Excuse my ignorance......but do some of the DM guys surf the other site from time to time?  Wink

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 11):
Quoting JeffM (Reply 5):
There is no 'flow' to it, my eye wanders all over...

Agreed. Talk about clutter.

Have to agree.

------------

As we all read......WHY:

Let's see:

* the "new" logo is a total step backwards. "The wings of the web" line looks plain ugly and is way too prominent. Looks really cheap. Check out the current logo for a few seconds again.....that's beautiful and really "flows"!!! It looks classy with the film as background.

* Why would we need a SEARCH BAR bigger than the logo, right next to it? We're neither stupid nor blind! I love the searchbar on the frontpage as it currently is. Small and well placed, but not too prominent.

* Top of 24hrs PHOTOSTREAM. I'm not sure why the DM guys think this has to be a photo stream? Is it the latest "state of the art" and currently very hip to have for websites? I'd certainly want to click through the top 24hrs pics like I do now, and not stream along the frontpage :-|

* Again, right 5 cm's below the H U G E search bar on top, another search button, for the search page. Do you think that's necessssssssary? And why in GREEN? There's no reason for that. We're not blind.

* Center box below the green search bar. I assume it's the different categories for photographs - as it says....air to air, helicopters, etc....... Why's there "Ads by google" in the lower right corner? My understanding of that is: if you click on it, it takes you to another site!?!

+ Photographers Feature - kind of cool. Would be nice if that person could display a personal website address though. I mean, come on, let us have a piece of the cake  Wink

--------------

BTW: In the top navigation menu, it's AIRCRAFT DATA - not AIR CRAFT DATA I think?  Smile

Anyway, I'm not going to put more effort into that, seems as the decisions have been made anyway.
Jet Visuals

JeffM

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Quoting INNflight (Reply 69):
Excuse my ignorance......but do some of the DM guys surf the other site from time to time?

I'm sure they must, where else would they come up with such an attractive design?  crazy 

BTW: In the top navigation menu, it's AIRCRAFT DATA - not AIR CRAFT DATA I think?

rotfl  'Ya think?

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 3):
these designs have been created after huge consultations with all the crew

APFPilot1985

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 pm

BTW: In the top navigation menu, it's AIRCRAFT DATA - not AIR CRAFT DATA I think?

I'm pretty sure that this is just a draft and they know they still have some editing to do. Overall I like it, my only one small complaint is why do the Videos get top billing?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi All,

If you're going to spend the time telling us you don't like the mock-up, please tell us what specifically you don't like about it, and better yet, make some suggestions about what you would change and how you would change it. Well-reasoned and detailed criticisms and suggestions like the ones posted by Jbo, Toast, and Flyboyseven are both welcome and helpful. If you want to convince DM to make some alterations, this is the way to do it.

Regards,

Edward

Fair enough.

What I don't like: I don't like all the white (or near-white). It's not true to the site's roots.

What I would change and how I would change it: I'd use the colors of the current home page: Color code# "486a8e" for the element boxes, and the thinnest black border around all elements and photos:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1407/phpfgsyuw3ad3.jpg

I'd also use the same original color for text (code# "e6e8fa"), which I couldn't picture above. But it's identical in color to the very text you're reading here. And the same color as the "'____' users checked-in. You are checked-in as '______'" at the top of the page. And the same color as virtually all other normal text on the entire site.

"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

airkas1

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 72):

Hey Bry,

That color you used looks very nice!  Smile

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Yeah looks good to me as well! but now you need to do something with the font colour! Not possible to read some parts of it anymore  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HAWK21M

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:29 pm

Looks Refreshing.
good job.

Its like viewing the morning after working a night shift.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 75):
Yeah looks good to me as well! but now you need to do something with the font colour! Not possible to read some parts of it anymore  Wink

I'd also use the same original color for text (code# "e6e8fa"), which I couldn't picture above. But it's identical in color to the very text you're reading here. And the same color as the "'____' users checked-in. You are checked-in as '______'" at the top of the page. And the same color as virtually all other normal text on the entire site.

Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 76):

Yupp and will you do anyting about it? Big grin Surprise us with a lovely font colour which will be easy to read  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

LHStarAlliance

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I don't really like it .

It's a mess . I think there should not be so much between the "Top of Week/Day" pics .
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 77):
Yupp and will you do anyting about it? Big grin Surprise us with a lovely font colour which will be easy to read

It's the same font color which is used all over the site including the current front page and most front page elements...It wouldn't be any less easy to read than it is now. In fact, this exact text you're reading right now is it: It's a very, very light shade of blue, almost taking on the appearance of white.

If you replace the text in the design I posted above with the color of this very text I'm typing, that's how it would look.

For a more clearer example, here's the same element color as posted above with the same text color:

That exact background/text contrast is already seen all over the site.

NIKV69

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 38):
Tells a lot that the advertisment is bigger than the site logo. What about brand awareness?
Looks as bad as the t-Shirt mock ups some months ago (whatever happened to them?).
A big step back (designwise). Featurewise looks ok to me.

Peter (agreeing with NIKV69 for the second time)

Only twice? There has been more  biggrin 
Well no brainer I mean it's just horrid, sorry but I haven't been here as long as some but I have been here for four years and for the life of me can't figure why a total rework of the home page is even being discussed. The home page as it has been is unique, clean, concise and conveys av-photo and gives the user a nice way to see the photogs choice and top of day. Why change it?

I think most have been doing just that, I think from where I sit and most others here feel you have taken a great unique homepage about av-photo and have made it a commerical one that resembles a flightlevel350 kind of thing. Also read Flo's take on it. He has some great points.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

wilco737

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 79):

Ah now I got it! Thanks Bryan  thumbsup 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

IFEMaster

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Nice use of style sheets, but it looks more like a cheap wordpress blog than the world's premiere aviation website...

I assume the new look would cascade through the rest of the site, including the forums, yes?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

rcijntje

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 pm

I second the motion to :
Let's first fix what is broken or does not work ...
secondly we can argue about the need of a new look !

Just my two cents ...

Robby

ThierryD

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Ok guys,

since pictures sometimes say more than a thousand words, here's my suggestion for change to the A.net homepage:
http://planecatcher.com/Anet_frontpage.jpg
All in all I kept the original "boxes" but rearranged them to make the site more ergonomic; the specific category search box, photo index and postcard link box I removed completely as they are no real good imo.
I rearranged the title replacing the A.net logo into its original prominent center position and moving the search bar into the middle navigation bar.
The Top24h box is now expaning over the whole width and replacing the white color with a neater less contrast rich blue; it works pretty nicely giving it a "film" look.
I reduced the width of the 2 navigation sidebars a bit to let the page "breathe".
Personally I think that this way the combination of classic A.net look and more modern desing works pretty fine.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

IFEMaster

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 84):
Ok guys,

since pictures sometimes say more than a thousand words, here's my suggestion for change to the A.net homepage:

For some reason, even though most of the same content is there, and it's all the same colours, I prefer this design a thousand times better than the DM mockups. Good work!
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mirrodie

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 4):
but my suggestions and comments seem to fall on deaf ears.

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
We are interested to hear community feedback, although we will not be able to use every recommendation, we will do our best to integrate your feedback into the new design

I think that says it all. I think its very fair to let people see this and give constructive advice so that adjustments can be made. Everyone has a voice, keep the constructive criticism coming.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

zululima

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:37 pm

This really does compound the flaws of the curent home page.

Way to much going on, especially with differing box sizes and formats.

Photos are scattered around in FIVE different places. I really don't know where to look or where the logical place to find what I'm after is located. Do we really need THREE different search bars PLUS the ugly green "Search Now!" button on the home page? That's the beauty of tabs. They organize everything the site has to offer prominently at the top. The fact is, this is a large site with diverse features. Don't try to jam everything onto the homepage, because it just can't be done. Pick what is TRULY essential and structure it around that. In my opinion, the hallmark of a modern, professional homepage is one that requires little or no scrolling to view.

Why is the "Put this photo on your homepage/Send this photo as a postcard" box separate from the photo box it links to? And why is it on the homepage to begin with? Very unnecessary feature which only exacerbates the clutter problem.

I agree that the "Top Videos" box, or any other which doesn't even link to part of a.net shouldn't be at the top. The current home page still has "Top Videos" above "Right Now In The Forum". Honestly, who comes here looking for videos? This is another instance of DM putting revenue (literally) above user preference.

I don't see how giving things a bland, mono-dimensional feel looks more modern. There are no shadows or borders under or around any boxes or buttons. This looks like a junior-high web project in many respects. Blue bar, white box, great.

The only positives I noticed right off hand is the elimination of the poll question (On a loooong flight....), which hasn't changed since the Hoover administration, and many text-only boxes, like "ads by Google" which just look amateurish and tacky. Some of these still remain, though.

I for one would like to see the considerable talents of our dedicated users and photographers put to use in a homepage-design contest. We can all comment on the various positives & negatives of the entrants, have a few tweaks made to incorporate the better features from all entrants, and then end up with a design most everyone will enjoy.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

NIKV69

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Better but way too much white, besides we want to see the snowflakes around Christmas time.  biggrin 
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

An-225

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Don't like it at all. Why change something that isn't broken?
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Gofly

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:52 pm

I understand that I'm going to be in the minority when I say this; I'm even going to have to eat some of my own words regarding Demand.

I really like the new design.

It's by no means perfect, but I feel it's a huge improvement on the old page. The old page is iconic; however, it's also very dated - just a quick scroll down shows this. It is very functional, but it does lack any modern feel and features that a large website should have.

I think the design posted by ThierryD is excellent; it's fantastic balance between new and old. I also feel the spacing and prominence of the logo are better portrayed here.

There has clearly been a lot of work and consultation gone into the new page, and given the problems we've had with Demand, I think this is a huge step in the right direction. I did express my dislike towards how Demand were doing things vocally before, and I still feel there are improvements to be made in communication, but even this has been improved significantly from how things were. I really like the new design and can't wait to see it go live - but I do think a more careful balance between old and new needs to be found first.

On top of this, whilst the videos are a welcome addition to the site, maybe they need to be integrated into this site. Obviously that would mean saying goodbye to Flight Level 350, but it's just an idea I'm floating around.

Although it pains me to say it, good work Demand. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

thumbsup 

-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

Queso

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Quoting An-225 (Reply 89):

I agree. But if it absolutely must change.....

Ok guys,

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 85):
For some reason, even though most of the same content is there, and it's all the same colours, I prefer this design a thousand times better than the DM mockups. Good work!

I agree completely. Leave it alone, but If it must change please consider looking at Thierry's design.

PlunaCRJ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:04 pm

I am starting to like the new design, although I will surely miss the old one.

I would do two modifications to it:

1) As previously said, de-clutter. The design is full of unnecessary things that make it look messy. Why don´t clean it a bit?

2) Logo. In the original design Flyheligirl posted, why is the logo places in a corner? I believe it should be placed right in the middle of the top of the page.

Regards,

ShyFlyer

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 pm

What I would change and how I would change it:

Ya know something, that looks ten times better! It is a lot easier on the eyes. Amazing what a little color can do, eh?  thumbsup  The only thing I would change about your version is to center the site logo as seen here:

I lift things up and put them down.

Newark777

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm

I say bring this back:

Smile
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Jpax

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting An-225 (Reply 89):

Agreed, I loathe it. Absolutely disgusting, cluttered, and MySpace-esque. It no longer looks professional, in fact, I'd be rather embarrassed to be looking at something so sloppy while around others.

"Hey, I thought you got rid of your MySpace?"

INNflight

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 95):
MySpace

Hmmm......Demand Media.......MySpace......DM........MySpace....DM.....MySp.......

Wonder if there's any connection? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah  Wink

As they copied the T's and C's, maybe they did with the site design too -_- hahah...
Jet Visuals

AirTranTUS

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 pm

That is a significant improvement over the version in the OP. Some suggestions: the logo needs to be bigger, there needs to be more open space, the white background needs to go away, and the left and right columns need to line up. To do the last one, you could remove the stats from the top of the left column to the center column or as a text bar under the drop down menu. And I don't see the point of the "Latest Photo Album" box. There are already enough photo links of the page.
I love ASO!

Psych

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:22 pm

I would argue strongly that the extra space used by Thierry makes a major difference on first glance - it immediately starts to address that 'cluttered' issue to which many have been referring. Just seeing the site logo centred with space to breathe makes a difference.

For my tastes there is still too much white on that page though - more 'relaxing' colours just looks classier in my opinion.

Paul

halls120

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 85):

While I'm still in the don't fix something that isn't broken camp, Thierry's verison is MUCH better than the design that kicked off this thread.

I think ZuluLima's comments below are spot on.

Quoting ZuluLima (Reply 87):
Photos are scattered around in FIVE different places. I really don't know where to look or where the logical place to find what I'm after is located. Do we really need THREE different search bars PLUS the ugly green "Search Now!" button on the home page? That's the beauty of tabs. They organize everything the site has to offer prominently at the top. The fact is, this is a large site with diverse features. Don't try to jam everything onto the homepage, because it just can't be done. Pick what is TRULY essential and structure it around that. In my opinion, the hallmark of a modern, professional homepage is one that requires little or no scrolling to view.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography