Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lemansnut
Topic Author

View Counting

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Anybody else noticed if there overall views count as remained the same for about 3 hours now.

Know mine stopped increasing.

opso1

RE: View Counting

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Yes, I noticed too- must be figure-watching! The views on the daily photos and the update stats have all frozen- anyone any idea why?

OPSO1

packman

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm

The number of users checked in has been stuck at 442 for some hours as well.

packman.

scottieprecord

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 am

Yea, I too noticed my view count was stuck.

paulinbna

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 am

Any one fixing this???

I have one that has been stuck at 0 for about 10 hours now.
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

dendrobatid

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:04 am

The fault was reported quite some time ago.
Mick Bajcar

JRadier

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Quoting Dendrobatid (Reply 5):
The fault was reported quite some time ago.

yet no answer from DM yet  Wink. Perhaps it is wise to make an 'update' page where problems are listed and the state they are in (reported, work underway, fixed etc) so we know what's happening.

INNflight

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 6):
Perhaps it is wise to make an 'update' page where problems are listed and the state they are in (reported, work underway, fixed etc) so we know what's happening.

That would be kind of nice. If on the forums, make sure it's a locked thread so nobody can comment  Wink
Jet Visuals

ua935

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:44 pm

It hasn't been working since late last night UK time so approx 20 hours now.
Live every second like you mean it

FYODOR

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Might be some news on current status of the problem? For how long site is stopped? It would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Fyodor

Alibo5NGN

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:45 pm

It looks like the bug affecting the view counters must be very serious for it not to be fixed in the 24 hours that it has been down. I hope that there is a cache file recording the hits during this down time. Combined with the slower pace of screening, this site isn't interesting at this moment. As Fyodor said, any updates will be appreciated.
It takes knowledge to make a career. It takes wisdom to live a life.

Alibo5NGN

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

View counter now working but does not reflect any hits over the past 24 hours.

opso1

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:09 pm

It seems to be working now- watch the top photos change position faster that a restart of the Grand Prix!

OSPO!

cwillett

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Yes, the view counters are fixed now.

DNS changes and configuration changes on akamai have been been made which should resolve our intermittent photo issues. But they will take 6-8 hours to take affect.

Chris

FYODOR

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Counters do not work proper again. In all variations numbers at the lists are very different and much less than under big size photos. And no change for a certain time as well.

Regards,

Fyodor

Alibo5NGN

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting FYODOR (Reply 14):
Counters do not work proper again

Yes! View counters are not working again.

cwillett

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Sorry everyone, we are dealing with some replication lag right now with our photos database, due to table corruption. The tables were repaired, but there is no ETA currently on how long it will take to catch up. So counters, additions or updates of photos will be delayed until they do. Because MySQL only indicates the number of seconds that slaves are behind the master and that number has been climbing for some time now, an ETA is not possible. But we are taking measures to disable crons that put more load on the slaves to assist them in catching up. I would rather not take the site down, if it is not absolutely necessary, since it still functional and other areas are not affected.

We are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

opso1

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for the update Cwillett- nice to be informed of the problem- it keeps us happy to be in the picture. Please keep us informed.

OPSO1

FYODOR

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 am

Many thanks Chris!

To be honest - I've understood almost nothing at the explanations Big grin but general idea was clear and agre with OPSO1 - it is important to be informed.  Smile

Regards,

Fyodor

cwillett

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:25 am

I totally understand guys. My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique. But there is much needed in the way of gathering requirements, designing, etc. Let's just say there is a LOT of work to be done (as always) and that more time needs to be spent doing rather than talking sometimes. Trust me, we are not trying to keep "secrets" from you. Demand Media may be a business, but we're not a big brother conspiracy. We're just busy working our tails off, that's all. I know Johan and Henrik probably communicated with you more often at times. But I know that the more we all respond to every thread and post in these forums the less that gets done. So on that note.....goodnight! And thanks so much guys for keeping the spirit alive. It has a huge affect on all of us!

Cheers,

Chris

viv

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Quoting Cwillett (Reply 19):
totally understand guys. My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique. But there is much needed in the way of gathering requirements, designing, etc. Let's just say there is a LOT of work to be done (as always) and that more time needs to be spent doing rather than talking sometimes. Trust me, we are not trying to keep "secrets" from you. Demand Media may be a business, but we're not a big brother conspiracy. We're just busy working our tails off, that's all. I know Johan and Henrik probably communicated with you more often at times. But I know that the more we all respond to every thread and post in these forums the less that gets done. So on that note.....goodnight! And thanks so much guys for keeping the spirit alive. It has a huge affect on all of us!

An excellent response - human, clear, friendly, understanding, informative.

Well done!
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

TedTAce

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 20):

Well done!

I agree 100%

Chris, Please do whatever necessary so that when such communications, hell any communications from DM, are necessary, you are the one responsible for making them!

Ted
This space intentionally left blank

ScarletHarlot

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:53 pm

I totally understand guys. My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique.

Even as one of the 'complainers and whiners'  Smile I wanted to say that I also appreciate this communication from Chris. Thanks very much.
But that was when I ruled the world

JBo

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Agreed on all counts ... Chris, good job on giving a thorough explanation of what's going on!
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

halls120

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 20):
totally understand guys. My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique. But there is much needed in the way of gathering requirements, designing, etc. Let's just say there is a LOT of work to be done (as always) and that more time needs to be spent doing rather than talking sometimes. Trust me, we are not trying to keep "secrets" from you. Demand Media may be a business, but we're not a big brother conspiracy. We're just busy working our tails off, that's all. I know Johan and Henrik probably communicated with you more often at times. But I know that the more we all respond to every thread and post in these forums the less that gets done. So on that note.....goodnight! And thanks so much guys for keeping the spirit alive. It has a huge affect on all of us!

Well done!

I'll add a hearty "well done" as well.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

andessmf

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 am

My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique.

I would suggest you keep making the technical explanations and allow those users that know what you are talking about clarify them to those who may ask questions.

After all, we are probably a large bunch of geeks!

cwillett

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 am

Funny, I kind of gathered that from some of the positive responses. Right on. Obviously, we're geeks as well.

One more update is that category views (for category specific searches) were not updating correctly for the past few hours, which I took care of. As it stands they can only be updated every 2 hours. So they still won't match all the time, but they will be closer. Views for individual photos will always be correct, but the views listed with the small pictures will only be updated every 2 hours (probably every hour soon). This is largely due to the fact that Johan was copying all the data from our main photo table into individual category tables. Which is really not necessary and very difficult to maintain. While his approach was to update each row one at a time, I decided to recreate the tables and do an atomic swap from a temporary table to each existing table. Unfortunately, there are 21 tables to be re-created and the queries have to be spaced apart to avoid table locking. So this approach has really not performed faster so far. But is is more accurate in terms of dealing with updates/deletes, since I noticed that old data was sometimes getting left behind or certain views we're not updating.

There is a possibility of using a new in-house search application that has been used on some of our other sites and is incredibly fast. It would enable us to do away with the category tables entirely. But this will take time to assess. If it fits our requirements, the API would allow us to tie it into the existing UI. This is not a promise of any sort, but a little insight into one of the things that we're looking at.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Chris

graphic

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:30 am

It is very refreshing to finally hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Demand Media fails at life

ZakHH

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:36 am

Quoting Cwillett (Reply 26):
Obviously, we're geeks as well.

Sure thing. Big grin

Thanks a lot for your updates, Chris. It's this down-to-earth communication that I (and probably some others) have missed over the past months. I guess we do not expect this site to be perfect. It never was, and probably never will be.

But this site used to have a culture of getting the community involved into what's going on. And this culture has suffered. Too often, there was either no information, or it was even plain wrong. That destroyed a lot of credibility. As a result, feedback was obviously not welcome anymore, unless it consisted of collective cheering. Way to go...

This is not aimed against you - it was certainly not your job to keep us informed. But now that you do it, you do a good job. Thanks for that!

Cheers
Stefan
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

strandedinbgm

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:25 am

AMEN BROTHER!

Finally a straight answer to a question.

Nice job Chris. Maybe you should take over the communications.

Thanks so much.
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

viv

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 am

Quoting Strandedinbgm (Reply 29):
Maybe you should take over the communications.

As Shakespeare put it, this would be "a consummation devoutly to be wished!"

It is so refreshing to receive such high-quality communication, completely devoid of formulaic corporate management-speak.

I say again: Well done and give us more!
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

miamiair

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 pm

My explanations are usually somewhat technical, which is why this sort of communication is usually left to Monique.

Technical replies are great. At least you reply. Good job.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

packman

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the numbers of views seem to be very low again.

As I type this there are only two photos in the top of last 24 hours that have exceeded the 1000 mark and generally everthing else seems to be well below average.

Cheers
P.

chachu201

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Just recently, as in the last few hours, yes. However, within the past days/weeks I've noticed a gradual climb in hits, where the top of 24 hours this morning was well over 10,000 hits. Wondering if this might be a bug...?

packman

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:43 am

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 33):
However, within the past days/weeks I've noticed a gradual climb in hits

I agree with this, I should perhaps have made it clearer that at the time I was only referring to the previous 24 hours.

Cheers
P.