N1120A

RE: New Homepage

Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 am

I really don't like the new look. The old one was clean, easy to read and easy to navigate. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Quoting Flyheligirl (Thread starter):
and clean up any textual clutter that was distracting from the highlighted parts of the site.

The problem is that it looks FAR more cluttered now than before.

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 43):
We apologise for the problems you are currently experiencing. The new format was beta tested successfully. To quote from a mail from DM -

I don't think the bugs are the biggest concern here.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

C010T3

Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am

I didn't like the new design either.

VC-10

Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 am

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 46):
Centering all of the text makes the site very hard to read.

DM must not have any graphic designers on staff, otherwise this would have been pointed out. As if it isn't immediately obvious.

I have already brought this to DM's attention. I am told it is a bug that didn't manifest itself during the beta testing. It has only appeared once the new format had gone live.

WestWing

Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am

I use Firefox v2.0.0.14 and I do NOT see the centering issue that many are talking about.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 53):
I use Firefox v2.0.0.14 and I do NOT see the centering issue that many are talking about.

Because the site was reverted back to the old page.

Also, is anyone getting refresing problems? Mine hasnt refreshed since the new page went live. And I cant edit my profile. or get into chat.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Boston92

Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 am

You guys who don't like it are just afraid of change. They could put ANY homepage up, and your reactions would be the same. The new page, like the new Delta Livery, will grow on people and begin to be liked, and people will realize that it actually is superior to the old one (that is if the centering get put back to aligned left).

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 am

Soo, am I missing something? Where is it?
This space intentionally left blank

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 55):
You guys who don't like it are just afraid of change.

Nope, change is fine as long as its an improvement. But as has been shown-like the server move it diddnt go well.

will grow on people and begin to be liked

I liked the DL livery from the start  Wink

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 am

I am still not seeing the new site even though I cleared my cache etc.. Did they revert it back for some reason?

[Edited 2008-05-28 18:49:33]

aa61hvy

Thu May 29, 2008 1:50 am

I don't like it. But you know what, here is a solution: bookmark Non_Av or what-have-you and just go to the forum directly.

Now getting to the photos is another story...

I don't foresee any complaints changing much. The ball was rolling on this months ago. What's a couple of gripes going to do?
Go big or go home

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 59):
Did they revert it back for some reason?

Yeah, when it went live:

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 43):
We apologise for the problems you are currently experiencing. The new format was beta tested successfully. To quote from a mail from DM -

We did all this (beta test) and everything went extremely smooth. The problem we are having is from stage A (staging) to stage B (live site)… things are breaking through this process so no matter how much we test in stage A, things are breaking after that. We are trying to figure out why this is happening now because we tested this for days with no problems.

Starlionblue

Thu May 29, 2008 1:53 am

You guys who don't like it are just afraid of change. They could put ANY homepage up, and your reactions would be the same. The new page, like the new Delta Livery, will grow on people and begin to be liked, and people will realize that it actually is superior to the old one (that is if the centering get put back to aligned left).

There will be some of that. To be fair I like the look itself but find the usability inhibited by the clutter.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

srbmod

Thu May 29, 2008 1:59 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 59):
I don't foresee any complaints changing much. The ball was rolling on this months ago. What's a couple of gripes going to do?

Exactly. Before this was even brought forth to the membership at large, it was discussed amongst the entire A.net crew. If any of you would have seen what was originally proposed to the crew, you'd think that the new homepage design was the best thing since sliced bread. What was presented to the membership was a design tweaked based on the suggestions of the crew. One of the major things the crew was very adamant about was preserving the "A.net Blue". The original design that was submitted to the crew was VERY heavy on the use of white.

Silver1SWA

Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
Please. PLEASE do not use that as the homepage. That was awful. If you MUST change the page, give us the option of using this page. Its simple. Easy to navigate. I have no idea what was the intent of that page. It had no flow, but I did ahve 6 color choices!

Yes, please give us the option to keep the old page like other sites have done when they change.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 50):
I really don't like the new look. The old one was clean, easy to read and easy to navigate. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I agree. I can't stand the new homepage. It is very cluttered and I was very lost trying to find my way around. My eyes frantically looked around trying to make sense of it all. Why do they insist on changing it?? Especially when the majority here are against tampering with it??

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 25):
Why change something if it's not broken? Please bring back the OLD homepage!

Exactly, there are plenty of things on this website that have been broken and need fixing. The homepage should be at the bottom of their priorities.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 34):
It's very "modern" in that it has that cluttered MySpace look.

I agree, and I mentioned that in the thread showing the prototype and ended up getting a PM from one of the top members of DM's crew who basically laughed at me.

[Edited 2008-05-28 19:09:08]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HapppyLandings

Thu May 29, 2008 2:13 am

to DM: Do not go back to the new style.... Like someone said above. "If it ain't broke, dont fix it"

The new layout was not an improvement by any means.... Stick to the original please!

flyheligirl
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2008 2:18 am

Hi all,

The new homepage will not go live tonight. We are at the point where it's too late and if we continue to launch it, we are putting the site at high risk to break in the middle of the night. VC-10 posted the problem we are experiencing which is in short, beta testing was successful but the migration from beta to the live site is breaking things. Certain things cannot be tested fully until we push live since there is a lot more strain on the database when there are thousands of users at once hitting it. We are going to test all the queries that were slowing down the site today when we launched, test them more and rewrite the ones that were overloading the database and relaunch tomorrow.

Although this is a disappointment to our team since we wanted to get this up and running today, we much rather play this safe and not leave ourselves open to the site breaking in the middle of the night. I hope you understand.

Some of the things you saw, like centered forum text was a bug due to the overloaded databases. The text is not centered so please keep your comments and feedback for tomorrows launch.

Thank you,

Monique

hangarrat

Thu May 29, 2008 2:23 am

Abandon the new design. It sucks. There's not much more to say about it. Leave well enough alone.
Spell check is a false dog

ag92

Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 am

The same thing was said when they switched the photographer choice and top of the last 24hour photographs. Soon we will get used to it

AsstChiefMark

Thu May 29, 2008 2:28 am

I've seen some screen shots. That "search" block and box is intrusive. It's WAY too big.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AirTranTUS

Thu May 29, 2008 2:31 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 48):
This is what happens when you have designers who don't know about usability. Or indeed, engineers who don't know about design! It also feels to me like new management making changes because "that's what new management does".

Or when management says they want user feedback, but really don't give a shit. See below:

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 62):
Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 59):

Exactly.

Even a crewmember said our complaints don't do anything. What does that really tell you about this site? At least their honest.  Yeah sure

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 63):
Perhaps the owners and management should listen to their most valuable asset, THEIR CUSTOMER.

See above. They really don't care. They said so right here.

This place seems a lot like high school. A bunch of friends are on student council and do what they want, regardless of what the student body actually wants.
I love ASO!

Silver1SWA

Thu May 29, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 69):
Or when management says they want user feedback, but really don't give a shit. See below:

Even a crewmember said our complaints don't do anything. What does that really tell you about this site? At least their honest.

See above. They really don't care. They said so right here.

Exactly. And add the fact that Monique's post does not address any of the complaints and she continues to write as if we are in great anticipation of the change and as if we are disappointed that there is no launch tonight. Is DM even reading our feedback anymore?  Yeah sure
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Piedmont177

Thu May 29, 2008 2:57 am

New design, way to wide for screen, centering the text very aggravating when you have to slide the bar to read it. It takes twice as long to show photos and search. Pleas e go back to the old design or give us a choice.

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 74):
Lets make comments,

1) I dont like the new homepage for the following reasons:

A) Its loud/ Too Bright (I get migraines and severe headaches easily and bright colors dont help that)
B) Its cluttered
C) Its unorganized
D) It has no flow I diddnt know where to find anything all the links were thrown around haphazardly.That said, the new Menu bar is good.
E) The forums did not run properly

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 74):
they will listen, and improve

We can certainly hope our feedback is listened to. My suggestions:

Offer the option to revert to the old page
Softer colors (this is a must for me and im sure others)
Easier naviagtion
Better flow

Old: 3
New: 1

[Edited 2008-05-28 20:06:04]

Boston92

Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 75):
A) Its loud
B) Its cluttered
C) Its unorganized
D) It has no flow
E) the colors were not easy on the eyes (I get migraines and severe headaches easily and bright colors dont help that)
F) The forums did not run properly

A-E are the same complaint, and F can and will be fixed.

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 77):
A-E are the same complaint,

I fixed my post.

[Edited 2008-05-28 20:06:24]

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 am

I don't think we should stop the new design from coming, but it would be nice if we had the choice to opt for the old design.

seabosdca

Thu May 29, 2008 3:22 am

For the most part, the new design is fine with me.

I have just one complaint, but it's one that has a heavy impact on usability for me. Your new font sizes in the forums are too big. I keep moving my head back from the computer when I'm trying to read, and not enough posts will fit on my 1440x900 screen. What's worse, they don't respond to changing the default font size in my browser (either Firefox or Safari).

Keep the new design, but bring back the old font sizes.

NZA320

Well I like it. I think change is good and we should all keep an open mind about this.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 75):
B) Its cluttered
C) Its unorganized
D) It has no flow I didn't know where to find anything all the links were thrown around haphazardly.

My first impression is that it was cluttered and all over the place but I think the problem there is everyone is used to the old page so of course ur going to have trouble finding things at first. After a while people will get used to where everything is.

Heres what I like about the new home page:

1.I like the new banner and search bar at the top, I think it looks very modern but still with the old feel of the previous banner.

2.The new black menus at the top are very cool.

3. It has a "new" feel about it. IMHO the old homepage was getting a little dated (although it is still a timeless classic)

One bit of constructive feedback though: The dark blue background is too dark, maybe soften it up a little so it doesn't clash as much.

"NAY"

Old: 4
New: 2

[Edited 2008-05-28 20:23:17]

Boston92

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 79):
I don't think we should stop the new design from coming, but it would be nice if we had the choice to opt for the old design.

How about, "I don't think we should stop the new design from coming, but it would be nice if we could help in the design a little more."

seabosdca

Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Oh, and one more suggestion... can you add black or dark gray to the list of background colors? Thanks.  Smile

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Quoting NZA320 (Reply 81):

Just fixing your numbers:

Old: 4
New: 2

LTU932

Thu May 29, 2008 3:24 am

To be honest, I don't like the change. I vote in favour of an option Ted mentioned, that we should be allowed to choose between the old and new design.

Old: 5
New: 1
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Oasis

Thu May 29, 2008 3:38 am

Was the old page brought back? I still see everything normal.
Aeroflot can fly Moscow to LA, I bet your airline can only fly half way

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 am

Quoting Oasis (Reply 89):
Was the old page brought back? I still see everything normal.

It was. due to problems at launch, we're back to the old one.

Cadet57

Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 am

Quoting Oasis (Reply 91):
ooh, for long?

That, I could not tell you. According to a crew post, check around lunchtime tomorrow.

Oasis

Thu May 29, 2008 4:16 am

I would rather stick with the current one. The new one just feels.. less aviation-y
Aeroflot can fly Moscow to LA, I bet your airline can only fly half way

Halcyon

Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 am

The new one makes me dizzy when looking at the homepage. I can't find my way around. The new colors are grating. I think the design choice was made in bad judgment. I do not think that anyone, staff or otherwise, has a great reason for the change or can point out why it is better.

I also do not think that the opinions of the users were taken in to account. There have been some steps forward since the takeover and some steps back. This is a major step back that is both intrusive and unneeded.

Just my two cents. Have a great night!

Lucas

PS-Airliners is still a fairly nice site to visit because there are some great people. Now it is just a much uglier experience. Couple of very fast points:

Search bar is unneeded and HUGE.
The titlebar does not blend with even one color.
The forums are all in ONE lump now.
The way the bars fall down is not very beautiful and makes my eyes strain.
My post box is now very bizarre looking.
Occasionally my page has the facility to scroll over (horizontal) for about another page. There is nothing there, but it changes color and is very poorly done.
The site now looks very generic, like one of those "placeholder" sites.

[Edited 2008-05-28 22:24:34]

N1120A

Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 62):
If any of you would have seen what was originally proposed to the crew, you'd think that the new homepage design was the best thing since sliced bread.

That is really irrelevant, given that very few like this design and are in favor of the old one.

Quoting Flyheligirl (Reply 65):
The text is not centered so please keep your comments and feedback for tomorrows launch.

I think the number one comment is that there should be no launch tomorrow and that the old design be kept.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

flynavy

Thu May 29, 2008 5:52 am

IMO, the "new" design is/was absolutely, positively, HIDDEOUS.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Halcyon

Thu May 29, 2008 5:53 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 103):

An option is really the sensible thing to do. I vote for that, since I don't think that we'll ever see it disappear entirely.

Starlionblue

Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 100):

Search bar is unneeded and HUGE.

That is the in thing right now. I actually like it. But that's about the only thing. For the rest it's all cluttered and smeared. I don't mind a fresh new look at all, but it needs to be better than that.

Quoting Eadster (Reply 103):
Please keep an option for the old layout...

That would require maintaining two layouts. Unless they are thoroughly componentized it's not a good option.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

usnseallt82

Thu May 29, 2008 6:05 am

I don't usually say much on here these days, but I have to say that its pretty disappointing how things have turned out with this site. I hope someday people realize that it isn't always about the $$$ in the end. You have a loyal following here, many of which have been on for years. Its a shame if we have to lose that.

Sorry it see it come to this.
Crye me a river

B747forever

Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 am

Okay, is I the only one that dont get the new site?? I have the old still.
Work Hard, Fly Right

aloges

Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 110):

Please do read the thread before asking. The launch of the new homepage was postponed due to technical problems with it.

The new homepage will not go live tonight. We are at the point where it's too late and if we continue to launch it, we are putting the site at high risk to break in the middle of the night.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 110):

You missed:

Hi all,

The new homepage will not go live tonight. We are at the point where it's too late and if we continue to launch it, we are putting the site at high risk to break in the middle of the night. VC-10 posted the problem we are experiencing which is in short, beta testing was successful but the migration from beta to the live site is breaking things. Certain things cannot be tested fully until we push live since there is a lot more strain on the database when there are thousands of users at once hitting it. We are going to test all the queries that were slowing down the site today when we launched, test them more and rewrite the ones that were overloading the database and relaunch tomorrow.

Although this is a disappointment to our team since we wanted to get this up and running today, we much rather play this safe and not leave ourselves open to the site breaking in the middle of the night. I hope you understand.

Some of the things you saw, like centered forum text was a bug due to the overloaded databases. The text is not centered so please keep your comments and feedback for tomorrows launch.

Thank you,

Monique

bmibaby737

Thu May 29, 2008 9:22 am

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 33):
It would have been nice of demand media to introduce the new homepage as a open beta to the users

I suggested this to Monique, maybe located it at www.airliners.net/beta or something, before actually putting it live onto the main site at www.airliners.net - she said this would be the best solution, but it would take too much time to do...

halls120

Thu May 29, 2008 10:43 am

Because they want Anet to make a clean break from the previous management, perhaps?

The problem is that it looks FAR more cluttered now than before.

It does, but since they are a for profit company, one would have to expect that they would reorient the home page to give them the maximum ad space possible.

They could put ANY homepage up, and your reactions would be the same.

You are probably right. But if the majority of members are happy with the existing layout, don't you expect there will be opposition to the new format?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

NIKV69

Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 88):
IMO, the "new" design is/was absolutely, positively, HIDDEOUS.

Have to agree with Chris here. I have given DM a lot fo benefot of the doubt but I think this change is not needed and totally horrid. I say a prayer every time I visit the site that it doesn't change.  pray 
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

flynavy

Thu May 29, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 97):
Have to agree with Chris here. I have given DM a lot fo benefot of the doubt but I think this change is not needed and totally horrid. I say a prayer every time I visit the site that it doesn't change.

You know the new site's design is unsatisfactory when Nick Vollaro and Chris Weyer agree on something. Hail Mary! Has hell frozen over?
Change is: one airline, six continents!

ANITIX87

Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 97):
Have to agree with Chris here. I have given DM a lot fo benefot of the doubt but I think this change is not needed and totally horrid. I say a prayer every time I visit the site that it doesn't change.

I'm going to agree with Nik too.

This change is completely and utterly unnecessary. As someone else pointed out, NOTHING HAS CHANGED since the original launch, except the location of the nav links at the top.

How can DM say they value our feedback, and then make NO changes despite the HUGE amount of negative commentary about the "old" new homepage design!??!

I think this is a massive oversight by DM, not to take all our thoughtful recommendations into consideration. I tried updating my profile yesterday and wasn't able to do so because somewhere around 10% of my respected users list has left the site. And more will do so if DM continues to neglect the a.net users.

The following is meant respectfully, though it's hard to make it seem so.
DM. Do us all a favor and run this site for what it was always meant to be. A haven for aviation enthusiasts, photographers, and fanatics. Keep this site running based largely on what the users want, just as the old administration did. Your job, and your goal, should be to ensure consistent high-quality services in regards to screening and moderating, and to make sure the site runs smoothly from a technical aspect. The site depends on its users, and if they start leaving because their wishes are being neglected, then you'll lose a lot more than just a few members. The site's traffic will slowly start to fade and before you know it, another site will emerge. Maybe not on the same scale, at least not immediately, but it will happen and you will find yourselves scratching your heads. And we're here now, telling you how to avoid that. Just LISTEN to us! We gave you a LOT of constructive criticism (at least, some of us did) and thought for sure this new launch would incorporate that. I'm not saying everything you've done has been bad. There have been several improvements to the site. And I think we all felt things were turning for the best when the Terms of Use fiasco happened. We all had a problem with them and you took our advice, admitted an oversight, and fixed them to be acceptable to all parties. The homepage, for some reason, completely ignored that positive user-owner interaction the TOU has established, and I think we'd all like to see that come back.

TIS

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4