Vio

RE: New Homepage

Thu May 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I really really don't like the way this site looks. It looks very cheap and very cluddered. It's almost as if some kid made his myspace page. One reason I paid Premium Membership is to remove the adds and have a page that is easy to the eyes and lets me concentrate on what I want to see most... high quality airline photos.

I seriously doubt that I will renew my membership if this site remains this way. It looks worse than "myaviation.net".

Cheers,

Vio
Vancouver, Canada
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

JBo

Thu May 29, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 185):
5. The page fails W3C validation with 5803 errors, including the fact that its sending corrupt data as UTF8 and therefor should not be sending that character coding

6. Your HTML is seriously seriously fucked:

5803 errors?! And I thought these guys were professional web devleopers ...

Out of curiosity, how did the old website validate?
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu May 29, 2008 9:19 pm

So the new homepage is online now and I guess it'll have to grow on us, but could we PLEASE get rid of the very annoying fact that every sentence/word/piece of text gets underlined when you put the mouse over it??

Silver1SWA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:19 pm

So I have three windows open right now of a forum and threads that were opened before the switch. I don't want to refresh or close them...ever.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Daleaholic

Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm

I hate the new design.

Enough said.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

LHMark

Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Oh my god! My Eyes! My Eyes! Who did this, some kid with a pimped-out MySpace page?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

N787ZZ

Thu May 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Sorry but this looks horrible.  Angry

MAH4546

Ugh. Why fix something that wasn't broken? The new website is terrible; the design is horrible; and that new blue color in the background is annoying!
a.

srbmod

Quoting N1120A (Reply 202):
The majority of customers are saying they don't like this and prefer the old page. Enough said.

A few dozen members who have posted their feelings in this thread is not a majority by any stretch.

Silver1SWA

Quoting Vio (Reply 204):
It's almost as if some kid made his myspace page.

Careful with the MySpace comments. You might get laughed at via PM by a top DM crewmember. I did...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

moo

Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 203):

Out of curiosity, how did the old website validate?

The last archive I have, August 2007, shows 139 HTML validation errors.

allstarflyer

Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Looks like there's some fine-tuning to do - the arrow/cursor repeatedly turns into a hand, ready to click onto any text on the page (only when the cursor is removed from the scroll bar to the right and onto any reply). At first it looked as though all type was underlined on purpose.

As far as the background - I agree that most of it is a bit hard on the eyes (the blue is ok, though). If I had to give the whole makeover a grade, I'd say B-minus .
Living the American Dream

UltimateDelta

Thu May 29, 2008 9:24 pm

It seems a bit busy at the top, but I like it. Great job!  thumbsup 
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

baguy

Thu May 29, 2008 9:24 pm

If it has to stay like this, please, please change the 'Royal Blue' background, it's awful and as many have said before - IT CLASHES!

Bring the old layout back,

BAguy

DanTaylor2006

Thu May 29, 2008 9:26 pm

For what it's worth (not a lot if a lot of what's been said in this thread is to be believed )...

I like the style of the new home page... it feels fresh, new, whatever you want to call it. However... there are a few things I want to point out. It feels and looks cluttered - there's just too much going on. My eyes were all over the place when I first saw the new home page a few minutes ago. Secondly, and I don't know what is in place to deal with this at the moment and it's only partially home page related, the new header does not fit with the forum at all (pointing out the obvious, I know...) and it just looks a tad untidy and less professional. Finally, colour related, the colours don't really match too well in some places (banner or top bar against background is one comparison) but that I can deal with more than the issues I mentioned previously.

If those issues were dealt with I'd be more than happy with it. Like I originally said... the style of the new home page looks fresh... and aside from those issues I like it.

[Edited 2008-05-29 14:34:12]

YYZflyer

Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 pm

vomit  Terrible design!!!!!!!! I hate it. DM, why do you not take in to consideration the opinions from us, THE CUSTOMERS? Changing the design of the website is just going too far.

The layout looks like one of my crappy bristol board project I threw together while in elementary school.

Why bother telling our opinions when they act as if we like it?  Yeah sure
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

LTU932

Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 202):
One of the problems I see is that DM seems to be spending resources on things that no one wants and actually hurt the site. I understand that there were a lot of underlying issues with the patchwork way this site evolved, but absolutely no one was complaining about how the site looked.

Agreed. Plus this site should have had all bugs that came from the server migration fixed before even thinking about implementing a new design.

As I've said before, the new design is appaling. None of the suggestions made in the previous new website thread were taken into account, plus the new website is so code heavy, that it slows down until the browser crashes. I'm using IE7 at work and can't switch to another browser, so it's impossible for me to replicate this problem on browsers such as firefox.

In my opinion, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The site design wasn't broken at all and is recognised all over the internet, so why the need to change it now?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

GEG

Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 pm

The new design made me throw up in my mouth a little  vomit 

-Dan
I have no idea what I'm doing...

misbeehavin

Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 203):
So the new homepage is online now and I guess it'll have to grow on us, but could we PLEASE get rid of the very annoying fact that every sentence/word/piece of text gets underlined when you put the mouse over it??

Aiy! All the other ghastly "improvements" aside, what's up with the underline deal?
Big version: Width: 727 Height: 467 File size: 70kb

jetmatt777

Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow, what can I say, what a great job you did DM, I love the new homepage.

Yeah right, it sucks, the colors are all weird, waaaaaay to complex looking. It looks like yesterday's dinner puked up into a blue tray. Cluttered, way too messy, the colors hurt my eyes, not to mention the 5 minute download time just to view the page.

I'll give you 5 stars out of 300.

-Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

curticool

I liked the old much better, but I can adjust

Why do the forums become underlined?

-Curticool Big grin
N102DA

Jetlagged

I don't mind the new page layout, and if the new blue is a bit bright you can change the page colour if you don't like it (right of menu). But please fix the IE related bug which messes about with the text, underlining everything pointed at and preventing text selection.

The site is broken for IE users.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

larshjort

Thu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't like the frontpage, I think there are way too many things, and the colors don't match, it givesme a headache.

Quoting Moo (Reply 134):
Oh, and the background 'Check Spelling' and 'Save Draft' javascript calls steal focus from the text area in FireFox 3 RC1 - that means that halfway through typing a reply, I have to stop and click back in the text area.

It also happens in IE6 here,

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

ThereandBack

Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm

It looks like Myspace mixed with MSN or AOL. It doesn't look as classy as the old home page.

curticool

Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Why does the "most disscused in the forum" come up with re: thread

-Curticool  Big grin
N102DA

ANCFlyer

Thu May 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 207):
A few dozen members who have posted their feelings in this thread is not a majority by any stretch.

Empty Rhetoric Srbmod . . .

When you have such a diverse group - from the Photographers to the minions in Non-Av to the Aviation experts in Civ-Av all posting their feelings - it should bear consideralbe notice and garner a great deal of attention.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 195):
Quoting Coninpa (Reply 188):
Changing for the sake of changing is never a good idea.

But common when new managment takes over, just to satisfy their egos and to show that they are running the show now.

Spot on Jan.

The migration wsa a disaster, site bugs are multiplying exponentially and not being fixed (nor explained), and the homepage re-birth is a three ring circus!

Now what did I notice.

On dialup (I tested it there) it took 98 seconds for the front page to load. And then only with errors on the page.

On a cable modem it took 13 seconds to load. Inexcusable.

In the forum, this one, this thread, all of the expanded posts are justified to the left, as they should be.

When you click on a condensed post, and it expands the post is justified center. Apparently that bug isn't completely fixed yet.

EDIT! When I prepared to post this the preview showed as Justified Center. It's justified left as I type it, but it's justified center when I wanna post it.

I'm about half color blind, so I don't have a beef with the color.

There is this very annoying font on the scrolling headlines section of the new homepage. Black, with shadow, bold face something. Extremely difficult to read. Recommend that get changed.

[Edited 2008-05-29 14:44:09]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AirPacific747

Thu May 29, 2008 9:39 pm

I really don't like the new one.. they changed the logo too and the new one is a major step back  Sad

Psych

Thu May 29, 2008 9:40 pm

The underlining issue for everything does appear to be IE specific.

But the site has not worked well with IE for ages and it is completely unacceptable to have 'switch to Firefox' as a resolution to this problem. I am no expert but my hunch is that the majority of visitors to the site use IE, so getting this sorted should be a priority.

To be honest, using the site with IE has become a real pain in the proverbial......... and that should not be.

As for the new design, I can't yet find anything positive to say.

Paul

mirrodie

Thu May 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 129):
By your statement it seems like one could interpret your meaning to say 'we are the only game out there, so you are stuck with us no matter what'. That's not a very good attitude to have considering there are alternatives.

Well Ted, perhaps its simply in your nature to find meaning where there is none.

Anyway, its here. Perhaps with time changes can be made to appease everyone.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Silver1SWA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 207):

Ok so the majority is actually the majority in a sample of the population. Couldn't that reflect the the views of the population as a whole?

Oh of course not...

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 233):
from the Photographers

And don't forget even NikV69 is even chiming in with a negative opinion!! If that's isn't a hallmark, I don't know what is!!
This space intentionally left blank

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Erm....

I think there's a bug. Everything on this page is hyperlinked and centered.

Homepage looks alright though. But maybe you want to get rid of the glaring fact that tables are prevalant everywhere. Harmonising colours into the background colour would solve that. It's just very box-like.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

EA CO AS

Thu May 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Dear Demand Media,

Please change Airliners.net's page design and layout back - I am not a fan of this new design in any way.

Best regards,

EA CO AS

P.S. The center-alignment in the forums is the WORST!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

caspritz78

Thu May 29, 2008 9:44 pm

It think a new design is good idea but what we got here is not. The new start page has no logical flow or arrangement. Things are just randomly put on the page. It looks more like a personalized iGoogle page where you can add your own little boxes of information randomly.

I know designing a web site is not an easy task and takes time. So please take the time to refresh the design of airliners.net and make use of a beta side to test it.

bjcc

Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Clearly, this new front page is having effects on everything else.

Irespective of the likes and dislikes, are we really going to have to keep it while it is fixed?

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 237):

Well Ted, perhaps its simply in your nature to find meaning where there is none.

That's why I stressed possibility instead of making an outright accusation.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 237):
Perhaps with time changes can be made to appease everyone.

Ok, why not 'stop' Give us what we want for now, code it so us old timers can have what we want going forward, THEN roll out the new code to new/unregistered/unloged on users?

Siren

Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm

I seem to remember that when CNN.com changed their webpage years ago, there was an uproar. Same goes for Yahoo.com, and a multitude of other sites. People get stuck in their ways, and used to a particular look and feel.

The new DM system is not inherently any less usable than the previous - in fact, of the new design, I think the improved usability of the photo search engine absolutely makes up for anything else.

Do I have a critique, and things I don't like about the design? Of course I do. No one user interface change is going to result in an entirely happy group of users. However, this is a nice new concept. Frankly this attitude of "Everything DM does is bad" is tiresome.

This site is still the best source of current aviation events, discussion, and knowledge on the web. This political nonsense is just... tiresome, and I'm sure we're overstaying our welcome by doing this. If the userbase actively prevents the commercial entity that owns this website from monetizing this website - as is their right (and Johan did it too), and generating a return on investment - then management will eventually make the decision to cut their losses.

We are users. DM is a commercial entity, and they are the owners of this website. I choose to spend my time here to get my aviation information - clearly, everyone who has a negative opinion decides to do so too. These politics are simply not conducive to a healthy community.

N202PA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Quoting Caspritz78 (Reply 242):
It think a new design is good idea but what we got here is not. The new start page has no logical flow or arrangement. Things are just randomly put on the page. It looks more like a personalized iGoogle page where you can add your own little boxes of information randomly.

Agreed. This whole thing is way too busy and the forum layout/color distracts from what's being posted in each thread. I'm likely to bookmark directly to pages rather than head to the front page

KLM685

Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm

I personally don't like it. Would love to have the choice of using the former setting. The homepage is terrible. It's like a terribly organized facebook.

Cheers
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

FlyPIJets

Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Normally I would respond on this kind of thing. there are already so many that have expressed a view.

But...

The new look is really bad. Very amateur. Please consider hiring a graphic designer - certainly you can afford it.

It is so bad you will lose customers - I appreciate you are trying to give the site a fresh hip look. Please hire a graphics designer.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

TedTAce

Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Quoting Siren (Reply 243):

Your observations are MOSTLY accurate, but it's not entirely fair. Comparing a news organization to a hobby website with a COMMUNITY is not the same at least in my eyes.

GEG

Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

This thing loads slower than the superthreads...

[Edited 2008-05-29 15:00:33]
I have no idea what I'm doing...

Rj111

Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I really don't like the new homepage, i think it's a lot less professional, also we appear to be changing image more frequently than DL these days, but that's besides the points.

The more pressing matter is you clearly have some CSS error. Whenever i hover on any text on the main page the entire text for that page gets underlined as if it were link. It's massively irritating, i suggest you fix it pronto. I'm using IE7 btw.

Haha, and as i go to preview this post i notice the preview has a central alignment and not a left one as normal.

moo

Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 pm

I seem to remember that when CNN.com changed their webpage years ago, there was an uproar. Same goes for Yahoo.com, and a multitude of other sites. People get stuck in their ways, and used to a particular look and feel.

The BBC recently underwent a redesign, and rolled it out suddenly one day - a lot of people uhmed and ahhed about it, some liked it and some did not. The BBC had a forum where they let people have their say on the matter.

The difference between that event and this is that this roll out has brought many many issues, while the BBC one did not - the BBC rollout was practically flawless.

The new DM system is not inherently any less usable than the previous

Many would disagree.

N202PA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 pm

A darker default background color would really help (ie, navy blue or black). Who thought that lime green and fire engine red were good ideas for background colors?

The forum post boxes also need to be either centered on the page or justified fully to the left - the current look is unbalanced and hard to look at repeatedly when you're reading threads on the forum.

Silver1SWA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm

I seem to remember that when CNN.com changed their webpage years ago, there was an uproar. Same goes for Yahoo.com, and a multitude of other sites.

At least with Yahoo and other sites like MySpace, YouTube etc, they gave the option to continue using the old layout.

NWA744

I have never posted in site related, but the new design is awful.

The new homepage really hides the wealth of information the site has to offer. It looks like one of those websites that just tries to throw stuff on the main page to make up for its lack of content in other areas. If I were looking for the first time, it would instantly turn me off and I would go elsewhere to find the information that I wanted.

It's absolutely awful.

I didn't even realize that the website was under new management until today. Maybe the new management should take a look at the skill of the people it's hiring to design, because this looks very juvenile and cheap, and if this were any real business this would be totally unacceptable.

QuestAir

To put it simply, I think the new layout is awful. DM should at least give us the option of using the old layout, which has basically been around for ten years (here's A.net in December 1998: http://web.archive.org/web/19981212022617/https://www.airliners.net/

The old layout seemed something of an Airliners.net trademark, and I thought it was exceptionally well-designed. But the current layout is much too cluttered and chock-full of large graphics - instead of "cleaning up" the site's layout, the opposite has been accomplished. I'm not sure what the real reason behind the change is (maybe that huge advertisement at the top of the new site has something to do with it). But at the very least, A.net users (especially us paying ones) should be given the option of switching back to the old version.

[Edited 2008-05-29 14:53:38]

[Edited 2008-05-29 14:54:15]
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

NZAA

Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Looks Stupid, please return to the old one. Dont fix what aint broke.

SmokinL1011

Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Hate it, will use the site much less. I use this site as a de-stresser, something to view, read and search in to enjoy as a break from work/study. This new look is cluttered, cheap looking and nerve wracking...... Bring back the old A.net look.  crying