dazbo5

RE: New Page Layout - Bugs & Technical Problems

Sat May 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 30):
I have 56K dialup and 1.26 GB of RAM, I can't have any programs open when surfing Airliners.net or my PC will go "Not Responding" for 5 minutes until it can get the processes fulfilled. Not to mention the slooooooooooooow download time each page takes.

I was going to mention a similar thing but noticed your comments. I use a 10mb broadband link and although my pc isn't exactly state of the art (P4 1.8Ghz, 768mb RAM), I have a similar thing happening with IE seeming to hang for up to 10 seconds when opening every page and the title sometimes showing 'Not Responding'. I've never experienced this with a.net before the update and never experienced it on any other website.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Travelralf

Sat May 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 43):
I'll be trying to test that later on, but why don't you upgrade to Safari 3.1.1?

Thought about it also but according to apple I need OS 10.4.10 or 10.5. for safari 3.1.1

And according to this thread
https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/75433/
it does not help to upgrade

ANCFlyer

Sat May 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Everything in now Justified Left - see the shot below - when you want to add a post. I suspect this is temporary, since before everthing Justified Center and this was a temporary quick fix.

Also, in the screen shot below - notice the missing "SPELL CHECK".

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/MISCELLANEOUS/A-Net1.jpg

The field for entering text is now smaller than it was previously.

The option for "CLASSIC" A-Net color is excellent! Thanks for that. Bug appears to be that it's not sticking across the board. If I click it once, it should be perpetual, it is not. At least not yet.

Page Loads on Dialup (56K Modem) are generally quicker than they were launch day. Homepage load on Dialup is still about 90-120 seconds.

Page loads for everything on Cable Modem is fine.

[Edited 2008-05-31 08:59:24]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

amberair732

Sat May 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks for the classic colour option - I can take off the shades now!

Site had been pretty slow, but appears to be back up to full speed now ( at least on Uk 8mb cable ).

The drop down menus are a little awkward - guess it's time for a new mouse.

Any chance of a stat at the bottom of each thread for no. of posts deleted/removed etc. Some threads are becoming very confusing.

GoingAround

Sat May 31, 2008 4:16 pm

All of the links in the 'Latest News' section on the homepage take you to the sign up page.

filler
filler

Viscount724

Sat May 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Quoting StrandedInBGM (Reply 13):
OK, here's an odd one and it's a little difficult to explain.....

The system is saying that someone replied to this thread a few minutes ago, yet my last post is still the last post showing. I have cleared my cache and Coal's post does not show.

I have noted the same thing several times. I see that someone new has replied but when I open the thread that last reply does not appear. There sometimes seems to be a time lag between new replies appearing on the index page and the reply actually displaying.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 52):
The option for "CLASSIC" A-Net color is excellent! Thanks for that. Bug appears to be that it's not sticking across the board. If I click it once, it should be perpetual, it is not. At least not yet.

Today I have also noticed that when I select the gray background color which I prefer, whenever I change screens, the blue background appears for a second or two before changing to gray. It wasn't doing this yesterday.

jetmatt777

Sat May 31, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting GoingAround (Reply 54):
All of the links in the 'Latest News' section on the homepage take you to the sign up page.

You gotta be First Class to read those.

-Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

whappeh

Sat May 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 55):
Today I have also noticed that when I select the gray background color which I prefer, whenever I change screens, the blue background appears for a second or two before changing to gray. It wasn't doing this yesterday.

It has been doing this to me, too... with any colour I choose (I'm trying to use the classic colour). Sometimes it doesn't even switch to it automatically, and I have to go back and click the button again.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

codeshare

Sat May 31, 2008 4:49 pm

There seems to be a border around opened photos, and I think the background colour is not saved.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Cadet57

Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 56):
You gotta be First Class to read those.

I remember when that was free...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

NIKV69

Sat May 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed but I noticed when you hover the cursor over the top of days only the two on the right show the info and the one on the left (I'm assuming that is the current top of day) won't give you any info when you hover the cursor over it. Is this to force the viewer to click the photo?  confused 
I am the Googlizer!!!

LTU932

Sat May 31, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 52):
Also, in the screen shot below - notice the missing "SPELL CHECK".

It does appear for me, but maybe it's a browser compatibility issue. I use IE7, so maybe it doesn't appear at all in IE6.

And I'm also grateful for the grey classic background colours. It's much better to the eye. Just one thing: Could the reply box be expanded, so it doesn't leave that ugly black gap?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

viasa

Sat May 31, 2008 8:53 pm

The "search" for new uploaded pictures ("yellow circle") can only found on the page "Airliners.net Member Profile" and not more on the start page. I wish, that this is also available on the start page of A.net.

The "orange circle" is only the pop-up if you click on the link in the "yellow circle" (100).

codeshare

Sat May 31, 2008 9:43 pm

On the upload page the footer is in Times New Roman font (at least it looks like it).

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

RobK

Sat May 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Quoting Dazbo5 (Reply 50):
I was going to mention a similar thing but noticed your comments. I use a 10mb broadband link and although my pc isn't exactly state of the art (P4 1.8Ghz, 768mb RAM), I have a similar thing happening with IE seeming to hang for up to 10 seconds when opening every page and the title sometimes showing 'Not Responding'. I've never experienced this with a.net before the update and never experienced it on any other website.

Mine is the pretty much the same. I'm on a 20 meg connection and it's no better here. The pages are taking aeons to load and the whole site in general is scoffing memory like there's no tomorrow.

R

j_hallgren

Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 36):
As we know, there's a lot of feedback on the design that is more to do with the cosmetic aspects

And while some may consider the increased pixel width required to see entire page a 'cosmetic aspect', as one who is suffering extra work because of the scrolling needed to deal with it, I consider it a 'technical problem' since there are many sites that have that same wider width but they auto-adjust to narrow frames like I and some others here use, such as 800x600, so why can't A.Net do same?

I'm not against a wider screen layout for those who can see it, just it shouldn't cause issues for us either.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Fly2HMO

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:29 am

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 65):
I'm not against a wider screen layout for those who can see it, just it shouldn't cause issues for us either.

Agreed  yes 

sleekjet

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:44 am

The top photos of the last 24 hours is still messed up.
II Cor. 4:17-18

Chukcha

Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:35 am

auto-adjust to narrow frames like I and some others here use, such as 800x600

I use a 17" monitor at 800X600 for editing photos and surfing the A.net. When using the FireFox, the scrolling bar at the bottom for moving across the page is not even there! Just checked the IE - yes it does have the bar, but it is missing in th FireFox - definitely not a cosmetic problem...

ag92

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 am

First things first, I haven't read every single reply, so I apologize if it has already been mentioned

Pixelated Photos - Already mentioned but having them since the beginning
Airliners.net watermark on photos with a thumbnail view but dissappears after I check out the larger view

NWA742

Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:16 am

Whenever I use the 'Change Forum' tool on the top of each forum, I will click it and as soon as I scroll down to select another forum to go to, it will reset itself and go up as if I didn't click it at all, making it totally useless.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

cpd

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:18 am

Sorry - but I have another problem to report - the Photo Statistics page in the Photographers corner (the one with all the graphs so we can view the stats on our photos) was so slow to load in Firefox 2.0.0.7 that it caused Firefox to crash.

Only the first two graphs loaded, the rest appeared to try and load but then the page caused the browser to freeze.

I've never experienced this before on Firefox here, or on the slower PC I use at work.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 am

I keep getting randomly redirected to a dell search page when not even moving my mouse. It has happened to me about 6 times in less than 8 minutes.

it is like media.adrevolver.com

Very annoying while trying to read or post to a thread
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Mir

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:59 am

The longer I view a thread, the more times I have to hit the back button to get back to the main forum page. When I expand the back button to see the sites in the list, several media.adrevolver.com sites appear between the main page and the thread I'm in, yet I never noticed any other pages loading.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

j_hallgren

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 73):
When I expand the back button to see the sites in the list, several media.adrevolver.com sites appear between the main page and the thread I'm in, yet I never noticed any other pages loading.

I just noticed a similar thing...I couldn't "back" my way past the two "OpenDNS" pages that appear in my History between this thread and the index page...

I use "OpenDNS" and instead of the banner ad, I see "media.adrevolver.com is not loading. Powered by OpenDNS" so there is definitely some issue with it.
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Mir

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:18 am

Some more on this issue:

My computer makes a little click whenever a new page is opened. It will make this click every so often when I'm reading a thread, along with a little "opening media.adrevolver.com/somethinglongandcomplicated" line on the bottom left, as if it were opening a webpage. Each time it makes the click is one more time I have to push the back button to get to the main forum page. Interestingly, when I started typing this post, I wondered where the "check spelling" button had gone, but then a few moments later there was a click, and it appeared. Strange.

Also, many of the ads have come up blank, some with "could not open this page" text in them.

-Mir

tomascubero

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:13 am

Too many bugs, some photos are opening up not centered, too many shades of blue and items are misaligned.

It seems this website has adopted 1990 Internet design, get back to the old system, nobody likes this change.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...hoto_nr=1&prev_id=&next_id=1308130

Check that photo, it is aligned to the right and the spaces between the banner and photo are filled with different shades of blue and makes it look ugly.

Starlionblue

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:04 am

Quoting RobK (Reply 64):

Mine is the pretty much the same. I'm on a 20 meg connection and it's no better here. The pages are taking aeons to load and the whole site in general is scoffing memory like there's no tomorrow.

It's not the amount of data that is the problem. It's the local (to you) browser processing that is demanding. Even on my rather new machine (dual core P4 2.6GHz, 2 gig ram, etc...) it is not very fast.

And while some may consider the increased pixel width required to see entire page a 'cosmetic aspect', as one who is suffering extra work because of the scrolling needed to deal with it, I consider it a 'technical problem' since there are many sites that have that same wider width but they auto-adjust to narrow frames like I and some others here use, such as 800x600, so why can't A.Net do same?

I think a narrower layout of text columns improves readability. I would say 1024 width for the page could be considered a safe minimum for designers. 800x600 is rather 1998 IMHO.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Psych

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 am

This one has half been mentioned before, but when you post in a thread the text box is frustratingly small now, compared to the old way. However, when you then check spelling the text you are looking at changes (at least when you are composing your post you can see all the words you are writing) and the bulk of it is off to the right, out of view, so that you have to use a scroll bar to see it, and scroll for a long way to get to the end.

This is unhelpful and could do with a fix.

Home page photos still look very pixellated/compressed and reinforce the sense that things are looking rather too amateurish for a site like this. That needs to be a priority fix in my opinion - it gives a really poor impressions to viewers. If the shots in question were mine I would be furious. As I write now the current Top Rated photo is almost unrecognisable, being a series of large white pixels (with a lot of jpeg compression to boot).

I would echo the views expressed by others about the colour change not being saved. I think there should be an option in your profile where you can set your preference for the 'Classic' colour (which I assume most will set, by the way), and then this gets saved. It would then be in a similar place to where I have set my preference to see threads complete (in the 'Unlimited/Good ol' way', without responses being bunched together) though recently that has not been working either. Maybe an easier option would be to set the 'Classic' A.net blue to the default - but it seems DM are resistant to this.

Paul

hbfly

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:47 am

I see a little bug in the drop down menu

I think the first dropdown line is too far left (3-4 pixels, see the red line) anf 1 pixel is missing to the top (see the red arrow)

Big version: Width: 749 Height: 509 File size: 11kb

I've been doing webdesigning for years now, facing the same problems all the time. I don't like the design at the moment, but in the future everybody will get used to it once it's working perfectly.
Bernhard Dallner -- Salzburg - W.A. Mozart (SZG / LOWS) -- Canon EOS 300D

jorge1812

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:12 pm

I still have to log-in again and again for adding pics to my Albums.

georg

mhodgson

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:46 pm

I have selected the classic Anet colour as my background, however it is causing some annoying visual issues with Firefox:

1) Until a page is loaded fully, the darker blue background remains outside of the standard width of the site; annoying when loading a long forum topic or the frontpage, which is still very slow for me.
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/Anrt.jpg

2) When confirming a message, even when the page is loaded the sides and bottom of the site remain the dark blue.
http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/23004/Anet2.jpg
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

scbriml

Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:18 pm

The "New photos added today" link on the main PHOTOS menu takes you to photo viewing pages, but many shots are repeated as you scroll through the pages.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Cadet57

Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting HBFly (Reply 79):
I think the first dropdown line is too far left (3-4 pixels, see the red line) anf 1 pixel is missing to the top (see the red arrow)

You're upset about 3-4 pixels? Hell, most of us probly will never notice.  Wink

Boston92

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 72):

Quoting Mir (Reply 75):

Same here. Very annoying when a website redirects you to whatever the hell it is redirecting me too.

skywatch

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Quoting HBFly (Reply 79):
I see a little bug in the drop down menu

It's not a bug...it's the top of the 747 logo.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

dl767captain

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 pm

My issue is with the iPhone. Prior to the site update everything worked fine but now when i go to a forum if i let it load the entire thing it will crash my safari on iPhone. I'm not technical enough to figure out why this happens but it has definitely started since the update.

dreamflight

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:27 pm

I have the impression that counting system is not working.

Cheers,
I feel the need for airspeed

Cadet57

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 pm

The drop down menu's dont work. I click on what forum I want but it does not load them, I had to click tthe home button on IE and start from there. very annoying.

curticool

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting StrandedInBGM (Reply 13):
The "Right Now in the Forum" display is out of wack.

Yes I also have this problem, when will it be fixed?

P.S. It's really annoying!

-Curticool Big grin
N102DA

Mir

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but the drop-down forum list in the top bar isn't in the same order as the list at the top right of the thread.

-Mir

ua935

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:01 pm

The "Right now in the forum" box on the front page is duplicating the topics.

The first line is the topin and the one below that is Re the topic.
Live every second like you mean it

petertenthije

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:10 pm

Where did the link to the instant messages go? Can't seem to find it.
Attamottamotta!

AF340

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:36 pm

It has been said before, but:

WTF???

http://i27.tinypic.com/331k520.jpg

No other tabs or windows open. Just a.net. If you think this is bad, I had 450,000k back in Non-av...

Liam spin 

Viscount724

Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Another minor problem noted. On the Aviation News - Top Stories Last 48 Hours index page, the country flags indicating the source of the news item are not displaying. All I see is a white square with a red X where the flag normally appears.

mhodgson

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 pm

As an update; the blue border now won't disappear even when a page is fully loaded.

Website using 130,000k of memory in firefox.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

xms3200

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:09 pm

One glitch I have noticed with this new page is on the "AIRLINERS INDEX", it is missing the link to goverment aircraft as well as cargo airliners. It would be wonderful if these two links could be re-instated.

Thank you

Viscount724

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:41 pm

When you open the drop-down menus from the top row of the home page, the menus for the last two items (Aircraft Data and Community) seem to be right-aligned under the heading while all the others are left-aligned. Would be best if the items in the drop-down lists were all left-aligned under the header title.

na

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 28):
* Every time I visit the site, I have to reselect the "Classic" background color.

Not each time, but it happens to me too.
One thing that always happens though is that while the page is loading, the background is the "new" blue, and changes to my selected classic after 2 or 3 seconds.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 81):
2) When confirming a message, even when the page is loaded the sides and bottom of the site remain the dark blue.

Same here, though not as massive in size.

Btw I use Safari, and I do not have crashing problems like others here.

And thanks, that the classic colours is back as an option. Its so much better to the eye than the bright colour options.

WestJetYQQ

Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 am

Something annoying i just found: When you go to 'Community' and then to 'View Your Profile' it asks you for a user name, even if you are logged in. I think that when you are logged in you should not have to tell the site who you are when you ask to view YOUR profile.

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.