flynavy

RE: New Page Layout - Bugs & Technical Problems

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 199):
I'm concerned that someone hacked into the site and released a virus.

You are incorrect. A number of banned members of the forum were using a back door to edit their profile's signature line while they were banned. This ability is usually unavailable to banned users.

Apparently though, in the process, the DM programmers were a little overzealous in their reaction to close this loop hole. "Nice try, hacker" is the result, although erroneously shown to member accounts currently in good standing.

There is a thread about this on the parody site.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

AirCop

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 200):
Apparently though, in the process, the DM programmers were a little overzealous in their reaction to close this loop hole. "Nice try, hacker" is the result, although erroneously shown to member accounts currently in good standing.

Thanks for clearing that up, attempted to send you a IM on this subject but that function also appears to be blocked.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 201):
Thanks for clearing that up, attempted to send you a IM on this subject but that function also appears to be blocked.

That bug has been around since at least January with no solution provided by the crew. The simplest of bugs to fix, or rather the most annoying certainly.

Feel free to use the contact me via my profile if you need to.

Also, I found yet ANOTHER bug. Photos drop-down menu, then click New Photos Added Today. The title of the page that link displays is Top of Last 24 Hours. Screencap is below:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/refleckt/iji.jpg

As you can see from the highlighted areas, a photo with 11 views on the first page certainly WOULD NOT be one of the top photos of the last 24 hours.

flynavy

Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:21 pm

And yet another thread:

Not all threads I have replied in are being flagged with a gold star. I've noticed it in some, but not all threads.

Halcyon

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 203):

I've mentioned this before too...it would be nice to receive feedback...we're all posting things we've noticed...but...not sure if much is changing.

NWA742

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 70):
Whenever I use the 'Change Forum' tool on the top of each forum, I will click it and as soon as I scroll down to select another forum to go to, it will reset itself and go up as if I didn't click it at all, making it totally useless.

Is anyone else having this issue?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

trekster

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Im still getting the dark blue when I have selected the original blue on the background.

Its now even causing pages to stall when changing threads. SOMETIMES its even just staying as the darker blue
Where does the time go???

scbriml

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 206):
Im still getting the dark blue when I have selected the original blue on the background.

Its now even causing pages to stall when changing threads. SOMETIMES its even just staying as the darker blue

Yes, the application of "classic blue" is very inconsistent. With "classic blue" pages also seem much slower to load.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 pm

When I change colours, the CPU usage shoots up to 40% for 2 seconds.

I just keep it on whatever blue they give me. I don't think it makes much difference or does much harm.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

scbriml

Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:23 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 208):
When I change colours, the CPU usage shoots up to 40% for 2 seconds.

I just keep it on whatever blue they give me. I don't think it makes much difference or does much harm.

DM claim to have fixed the background colour problems, and from a quick look, it does seem to be better now.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Viscount724

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 209):
DM claim to have fixed the background colour problems, and from a quick look, it does seem to be better now.

I have also noticed that the background colour selection seems to be sticking today. It had been working for me in all parts of the site except in the Civil Aviation forum where it kept switching back to the dark blue. Today it seems OK.

However I still get the yellow triangle error/exclamation mark error message in the status bar at the bottom of the IE7 screen when I am in the Civil Aviation forum only (no other forums or anywhere else in the site). It reads "Done, but with errors on page". Some research says that this is usually the result of a Java coding error in the website. When I click "Details" after clicking the yellow triangle I still get the same response as quoted in Reply 188.

chachu201

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 205):
Is anyone else having this issue?

Appears to be working fine for me.

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Haven't read through all the replies, but this is STILL happening to me:

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 182):
Drop down menus still being cut off by ad's....

...and it's really annoying.

In addition, when I click on photos, I still occasionally get "there is no photo with this ID number".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flynavy

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:38 am

Profile editing completely inop now, even viewing my profile then clicking on "Edit Profile" no longer works.

Elite

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 213):
Profile editing completely inop now, even viewing my profile then clicking on "Edit Profile" no longer works.

Thanks - problem noted and will be taken care of ASAP.

Halcyon

Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 214):

I'm not technically inclined, but how are new problems cropping up like this? Do they occur when the people working on the site try to fix bugs? To my knowledge, it must be some sort of human intervention that is causing things to go awry. Is this correct?

Edit: I also have the same problem, don't know if i mentioned that. All I get is the following:
Home | Photos | Forums | News | Articles | Advertise | Aircraft Data | Search | Community | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Airliners.net
Partner Sites: Aviation Videos | Aviation Photo Gallery | Answerbag | How To Videos | How To Articles

[Edited 2008-06-23 23:16:57]

JRadier

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 pm

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I'm seeing thumbnails (some of them) that are quite blurry while others are ok.

Cadet57

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Drop down menus still cut off by ad's. Is this even on the radar? Its been almost a month...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

trekster

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 am

I have seen this happening alot over the past few days.

When I post something, be it a reply or new thread, when I click post and it goes back to the forum, it says I posted it 2 min 13 seconds ago??

Whats with that!
Where does the time go???

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:11 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 217):
Drop down menus still cut off by ad's. Is this even on the radar? Its been almost a month...

Who knows. I posted about it:

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 212):
Haven't read through all the replies, but this is STILL happening to me:

...and got promptly ignored in the next crew reply:

Quoting Elite (Reply 214):

Thanks - problem noted and will be taken care of ASAP.

Another problem that's probably been mentioned, but still happening:

In the forum index, it will say that there are, say, 12 replies, and the most recent reply is by user XXXX. Then when you click on the thread, there are only still 11 replies - the reply by user XXXX hasn't been added yet....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

scbriml

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 219):
In the forum index, it will say that there are, say, 12 replies, and the most recent reply is by user XXXX. Then when you click on the thread, there are only still 11 replies - the reply by user XXXX hasn't been added yet....

It is very frustrating when the latest posts do not show up for some time (often several minutes).

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm

I can't edit my profile either...

maestra80

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 221):
I can't edit my profile either...

same here!
The roofs are full of snow in Petrograd!

NoUFO

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 am

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but each profile displays the line "This user is temporarily banned due to repeated violation of our forum rules" in addition to the other information, no matter if the user is currently online (and thus apparently not banned).
I support the right to arm bears

Halcyon

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 am

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/neces0c9/For%20Web/usercurrently.jpg

Annoying centering now when user offline. Does not match centering on other names.

Cadet57

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 223):
Not sure if it was mentioned before, but each profile displays the line "This user is temporarily banned due to repeated violation of our forum rules" in addition to the other information, no matter if the user is currently online (and thus apparently not banned).

It must be the new a.net form of punishment, no jail time, just parole  rotfl 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

FYODOR

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Photos from the albums can't be opened. Nothing happens after small image is clicked.

Regards,

Fyodor

unattendedbag

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 pm

When I run my mouse over the "top photos" displayed on the home page, I see text stating that one of them is the "first runner up", the next is the "second runner up" and so on. When I leave my mouse over the number one photo, I don't get any text. Should there be something identifying that photo as the top photo of the last 24 hours? The runners up get it, why not the winner?
Slower traffic, keep right

BritPilot777

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Seems to be a problem opening photos in new windows, just says ID not in database.

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

vikkyvik

Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:19 pm

I have no idea if this is to do with the new site layout or not; but it never happened to me before about 5 days ago:

There's frequently a classmates.com (or whatever) banner ad at the top of the forum pages. I sometimes (well, a lot, actually) accidentally mouse over it, and it expands downward to about 4 times its normal height. It's therefore covering much of the thread starting post, and I can't find any way to minimize it, other than to reload the page. But if I accidentally mouse over it again, then same situation.

Oh, and you guessed it, the ad blocks the forum drop down menu too, even at its normal size. Seriously, can someone please respond about that? It's fricken annoying.

YXD172

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 am

I almost hesitate to add this, but the adds that dropdown from the banners above the thread starter are really getting to me. Especially this one:
Big version: Width: 1280 Height: 800 File size: 165kb

I hope that this is a bug, as it has been down the whole time that I opened the thread, tried to read it, got the screenshot, uploaded it, and posted this message! (ten minutes or so)

Jon
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

je89_w

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:00 am

Let me post this here instead.

For some reason, if I wanted to make a photo album, I would get a "There were no such username/password combination in our database." error message, and I'm already logged in.

My photo widget does not display my photos, and I have more than 5 photos online.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 3):

The banner add sits over the drop down menu sometimes

checkmark 
Big version: Width: 558 Height: 493 File size: 179kb

ShyFlyer

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:27 am

The photo search engine on the homepage, when selecting "other airports in USA - Nebraska" returns results for New Hampshire. This does not happen when using the search engine found at airliners.net/search.
I lift things up and put them down.

FYODOR

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:19 pm

Might be it will help if to post it here - at least DM had asked to assist them to search the bags:

ALBUMS (which is popular and useful feature) don't work for at least few days. I mean you can see only the small and tiny pictures but you can't open its big size. Links are not working - nothing happens after I press the small picture.

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND SOLVING PROBLEMS in advance.

Regards,

Fyodor

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Just a friendly little reminder about this bug:

This photo was on the homepage, under "editors' picks" or "photographers' picks" (not sure which one):

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-France/Boeing-747-4B3M/0000693/L/

I clicked on it to open it. The first 2 times I tried, I got "There is no photo in the database with that number" or whatever. The 3rd time I tried, it magically managed to find it.

What's that all about?

BJS43

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Have just done some updating of one of my user created albums - seems to have taken forever.

1. Why am I continually asked and reasked to log in when I'm already logged in? Gets really annoying . Happens every 3 or 4 uploads from the main photo albums on hitting the upload to album button.

2. Same thing when moving photos within the album - continually having to log in.

3. The whole process has been grindingly slow waiting for thumbnails or pages to load and sometimes they just haven't.

4. Why does the photos drop down menu on the home page invariably give me another menu when I have indicated what I want - why do I have to find the same thing and click again?

is this site EVER EVER EVER going to be right? Seem to fix one thing and something else goes wrong.

also why is the views counter on albums going up in two's ? (admittedly this MAY have been the case pre DM)

Bob

JRadier

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 216):
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I'm seeing thumbnails (some of them) that are quite blurry while others are ok.

Still happening to me.

https://www.airliners.net/search/phot...aterange=day&sort_order=views+desc

The 4th picture (at the moment, the one of the Osprey) is very blurry.

chachu201

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 236):
The 4th picture (at the moment, the one of the Osprey) is very blurry.

Not seeing it right now, but as far as I know, this is an issue that only crops up from time to time. However, it's still a priority to fix.

casinterest

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

All,

The "Classmates.com" advertisement is causing the drop down menu links to be obscured.

There are a few advertisements on the top that are doing this.

IE V 7 Windows XP

Big version: Width: 572 Height: 174 File size: 18kb

[Edited 2008-07-07 07:00:21]
Where ever you go, there you are.

Halcyon

Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 am

I just got this weird problem where I tired to delete a picture and it kept telling me that I have "no id." Here's a pic:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/neces0c9/For%20Web/noid.jpg

Happens about every other picture.

Thanks,

Lucas

Aircellist

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 pm

For a few days now, the function compressing already read posts is not working on my computer. I have to remember where I was and jump there, when I reload a thread.

I'm using a Powerbook G4, OS 10.4.11 and Firefox 2.0.0.15
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:22 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 239):
I just got this weird problem where I tired to delete a picture and it kept telling me that I have "no id." Here's a pic:

I'm having a similar problem when I try to read PMs, but like what you're seeing it's sporadic. I sometimes get "You must sign in to view your messages" even though I am signed in. Trying again almost always fixes it.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mhodgson

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:16 pm

I can't get into my profile. I resent the accusation that I'm a hacker Big grin

Considering this issue has been known for weeks now, I'm surprised it is ye to be fixed. Though perhaps I shouldn't be.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

UA772IAD

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet. It regards the Airlines.net banner and 747 graphic at the top of the page. I've found that if I've clicked on a topic in the forums list while the page is loading, it takes me back to the homepage. Not only is the entire banner "clickable", but there are hidden click spots in the blue background as well (where the graphic fades). Would you consider reducing the clickable area, to say just the 'Airliners.net' portion of the graphic? Its rather annoying to be constantly directed back to the homepage, when this area is accidentally clicked.

ag92

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 am

In Aviation Hobby and Site Related (The only two I checked), at the end of the pages it shows that a number of posts last reply was 34 days and 22 hours ago

INNflight

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:13 pm

Forgive me if I don't read through the 244 previous replies  Wink and this has been brought up before, but still:

I tried to access my very own photo album from my very own forum user profile, but only got a blank page with the following message when clicking on it:

"Only search URLs generated by our search form are supported. Please return to the search form and resubmit your search."

THX
Jet Visuals

UltimateDelta

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting Flyheligirl (Reply 192):
- User submitted articles should be available to all users (when users click on the article in the top navigation)

I still have the problem of it bringing me to the upgrade membership screen instead of the article.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

UltimateDelta

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:13 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 246):
I still have the problem of it bringing me to the upgrade membership screen instead of the article.

Never mind, now it works again.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Fly2HMO

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 am

Alright I'm still getting the same problem I mentioned waaay back in reply 24, which was posted waaay back in May. Even though this time I'm still getting it on 1024x768 resolution and in every computer I've used on campus, which usually has screens 19" or larger.

Am I the only person noticing this?

ShyFlyer

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:05 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 248):
Am I the only person noticing this?

You're not alone. I too see this using my Eee PC running Firefox 2.0 at 1024x600.
I lift things up and put them down.