Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trekster
Topic Author

Chat Room Status?

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 pm

We were told it was a temp solution, but have been told no more about when this site will get what was one of the great parts of it back.

The current one is, umm well, rubbish. No other word for it.

Please can we have a decent chat room PLEASE

It was a great part of the site, where I met alot of friends, and when something happened, or was happening, it would be talked about in there in real time.

Please can we have a reply as to why its taking so long.
Where does the time go???

chachu201

RE: Chat Room Status?

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:43 pm

I believe Paulo is investigating options for a replacement, and this will be implemented when a viable system is found, and also when things are sorted with the front page.

trekster
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Why did the old chat room go, could they not use that until a new one is found,

the current one is a joke, and thats putting it politely!!

wilco737

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi trekster,

we don't have a schedule for a new chatroom and as you might know there has been some issues with the website itself and those bugs should be fixed before something new will hit the road. So I guess we have to wait a little longer until we get a new chatsoftware. I don't have a timeline when that will be, but we will keep you updated...

Cya in Chat

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

northstardc4m

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 2):
Why did the old chat room go, could they not use that until a new one is found,

Because it was so full of picky setup problems and bugs it wasn't working anymore.

New chat isn't high on the priority list alas. More important to get the site running properly again.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ACDC8

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 4):
New chat isn't high on the priority list alas. More important to get the site running properly again.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 3):
I don't have a timeline when that will be, but we will keep you updated...

Just out of curiosity, but what are the "priorities"? It seems no matter what thread one reads on a specific problem/bug, we're always being told that its not on the priority list. And please don't tell me that getting the site running again is a priority. There are so many bugs around right now, and each time its the same answer, that its not a priority. If we keep reporting bugs/problems and told each time that its not a priority, how can this site ever be running properly?

If the team has time to work on other projects (such as the photo widget/new homepage), surely they have time to fix the problems that have been plaguing and annoying its members for the past year.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

wilco737

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):
Just out of curiosity, but what are the "priorities"?

I don't have a list, but as far as I know the problems with the photos, screening, views, uploading will be fixed first.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Elite

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 pm

The programmers are trying to fix all the bugs first - the chat works and therefore it is not on the priority list. Basically everything that doesn't work right now will have a high priority.

ThomasCook757

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
The programmers are trying to fix all the bugs first

Haven't they been trying to do that for past 8-9 months?  banghead 

trekster
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
the chat works

Are you really telling me that thing we go to when we select chat, is a chat room???

wilco737

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 9):
Are you really telling me that thing we go to when we select chat, is a chat room???

Yes; because you can chat. Even if there is NO user list. it is not perfect but it is working, isn't it?

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

ACDC8

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
The programmers are trying to fix all the bugs first

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
Basically everything that doesn't work right now will have a high priority.

Define high priority please? No offence, but I'm finding your post very difficult to take seriously.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Halcyon

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 10):

No, it's not working fully, so it still needs to be fixed. I used to use it a lot, but now I never do. So there is still a problem and it is not "working."

wilco737

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:29 pm

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 12):
No, it's not working fully, so it still needs to be fixed. I used to use it a lot, but now I never do. So there is still a problem and it is not "working."

What exactly isn't working then? Please share that with us. For me it is working without any problems.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Elite

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):
Define high priority please? No offence, but I'm finding your post very difficult to take seriously.

None taken. I am only customer service and support, the bug fix list and what priority they have are up to the programmers and DM to decide. However, DM has told us that they are working as quickly as possible to fix bugs that stop the site from working properly first.

Most of the bug fixes are posted in the weekly Airliners.net update, and if any of the bugs are fixed we will let you know as soon as possible.

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 12):

Well you can chat with it, so it's working. It's not the greatest, but it is working.

Elite

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Not really trying to be defensive, but saying that we are in a tough position. We have to communicate with the (often) very angry and frustrated members regarding the bugs and errors on the site, and we tell them it will be fixed as soon as possible. I know that DM and the programmers are trying their best to resolve the bugs, but then the members come back asking why the bug is still there, and complaining that it hasn't been fixed in such a long time... we're in the middle.

For the chat room, yes it's bare bones, but you can still chat to other members. Drop in once in a while and keep Phil company  Wink

Elite

Halcyon

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 16):

I appreciate your attitude. Of course many people are angry. It might be better to tell the members that the problem has been noted and might be fixed one day, though. A sense of humor can go a long way. (And you have one, which I appreciate!)  Smile

FlyboyOz

Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:21 am

Ok guys...calm down. There's no need to be angry with the moderators and volunteers. They need more time to try to find the best chatroom. The most important for you is to be very patient. Just be patient and calm down.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

fxramper

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 pm

In my history of being a member of this website, I have yet to say one thing negative.

That said - the excuse for a chat room on this site is complete garbage.

I'd consider going back to a FC membership if things like chat were made a priority.

twocents 

trekster
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 am

Could you pls DM look at changing the wording on the right of the chat room. Please take away the SOON bit, its been that way since you took the old chat away, and I have a feeling your version and our version of soon are different.

Boston92

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 17):

You may want to take another look at that graph you posted.

Halcyon

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 am

It's slowly but steadily sinking away...the average rank used to be around 2600/2700, but since March it's averaging around 31/3200 and falling...  Sad

And the chat room, with the permanent solution coming soon, is the same as ever.

Chat

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 25):

hi Trekster,

thank you. We will forward this to DM.

N1120A

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 1):
I believe Paulo is investigating options for a replacement, and this will be implemented when a viable system is found,

There has been plenty of time for that to happen, yet it hasn't. Meanwhile, complaints still exist.

Quoting Elite (Reply 16):
Not really trying to be defensive, but saying that we are in a tough position.

Honestly, all we really get from Customer Service is defensive responses, with no acceptance of responsibility on the part of DM.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

deeplight

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi All
I appreciate everyone's one cent contribution as you are all spot on.
I just want to clarify some misunderstandings.
Alireza - there hasn't been plenty of time to fix it. The current Chat is mediocre at best I agree. We are fixing HP bugs, then upload makeover then we attack Chat with a new solution., We are hunting for a new Chat still and will let everyone know when we find it. If you want responsibility - I take full responsibility for the low quality Chat. It works (barely) but I cant take Chris off his work for a minute to deal with it until the end of the month. I wish I had better news for you but its imperative that we fix the existing bugs then rewrite the upload module.
Best Regards
Paulo

N1120A

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 30):
there hasn't been plenty of time to fix it.

It has been almost a year since DM took over. How isn't that plenty of time?

We are hunting for a new Chat

Why not just use the old one?

KFLLCFII

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 pm

At this point, I wouldn't even bother anymore.

It's been so long since chat was fun, that I'm sure most of the "regulars" have moved on anyway.

It took years to build it up to what it had become, and it can't be brought back simply at the throw of a switch.  gnasher 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

JETnyc

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 am

If there's Bugs in the Chat area call an IT extermanator, pls...

northstardc4m

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 am

Ok, everyone wants answers to this so:

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
We are hunting for a new Chat

Why not just use the old one?

Because it was down more often than it was up, so broken most of the features weren't working... and because I asked, thats right let me make this clear:

I Asked Paulo and Monique to replace the old Volcano chat at the crew summit.

So if you want to complain about someone making that choice, blame me, it was my idea and I don't regret it. We at least have a chat room that works with more stability than the previous one which would stop loading and spit out Java errors as much as work by the end. I wish we could get something better, and I believe Paulo when he says we will. It's taken longer than expected to be sure, but so has everything else on here. I know patience has run out for some, and is short with others, but I believe it will be worth it in the long run. If you don't share that belief, so be it, I won't hold it against you.

None of the chat crew liked the Volcano chat, none of us will miss the current one, but all of us are committed to making the chat work, in what ever form it takes. No we won't be going back to IRC based chat, and no we can't bring back the Volcano chat applet, but we will find something better.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 32):
It took years to build it up to what it had become, and it can't be brought back simply at the throw of a switch.

Alas the glory days of the old chat died long before the current version was implemented. We will have new good times to come, I promise you that.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Daleaholic

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 34):
So if you want to complain about someone making that choice, blame me, it was my idea and I don't regret it

I don't mind that and I'm sure most other people don't. For me, and I'm sure many others... It's the fact that it seems as if nothing has been done to implement a fully functioning and feature-full chatroom for the past 9/10 months.

I used to be a regular user of the chatroom and started speaking to my now good friends there. I just hope that DM ensure this new chatroom is bug free from the outset, otherwise it's going to drive even more members away.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

N1120A

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 34):

I Asked Paulo and Monique to replace the old Volcano chat at the crew summit.

Then they should have replaced it by now.

wilco737

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 pm

The current Chat is mediocre at best I agree. We are fixing HP bugs, then upload makeover then we attack Chat with a new solution., We are hunting for a new Chat still and will let everyone know when we find it. If you want responsibility - I take full responsibility for the low quality Chat. It works (barely) but I cant take Chris off his work for a minute to deal with it until the end of the month. I wish I had better news for you but its imperative that we fix the existing bugs then rewrite the upload module.

I think this tells the story. DM is busy with fixing the problems of the website before they will start to bring a new chat online. The old version of the chat isn't available anymore - that's what I've been told. So that's why this "temp" version is up until there are enough capacities available to look for a new chat software...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

gkirk

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 37):
I think this tells the story. DM is busy with fixing the problems of the website

So it'll be around 2-3 years before the chat gets fixed?  stirthepot  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

wilco737

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 38):
So it'll be around 2-3 years before the chat gets fixed? stirthepot duck

who knows, who knows... I don't know. But I hope not... I guess once the most important things are fixed, DM will start thinking about a new chat. But that's just a guess from me.  pray 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Daleaholic

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 38):
So it'll be around 2-3 years before the chat gets fixed?

Looks like your statement is going to stand...

What's the situation... Getting a bit silly to be honest!

Elite

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:55 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 32):

It'll be up before you know it  Smile

sandrozrh

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 35):
It'll be up before you know it

Yeah sure !

I didn't even remember we had a chat here  Silly

Daleaholic

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 35):
It'll be up before you know it

It's all well and good telling us this... but can we have a date? Maybe if you made people aware... it will get used!

chachu201

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, although I don't know the dates of the rollout, I think theres always a problem deciding exactly what to release. I mean, if we say that were going to roll out chat on the 24th of december (just a random date, not actual roll out), everyone is going to be very happy, but when the date actually comes there can be problems and last minute delays, or even major issues that have greater priority, and this means we cant keep our promise.

However, if we say chat is coming soon (and I understand frustration as to the ambiguity of "soon"), then we have no problems if issues crop up forcing a delay in roll out. See what I'm trying to put across?

Daleaholic

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 38):
See what I'm trying to put across?

Yes.

Well... As soon as it's ready to go online... put it on and let members report bugs or errors.  Smile To be honest, I think people just want a rough idea of when it could be online... October perhaps?

It's been probably about a year now since the old chat was removed? We just want chaaaat!  Silly

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 39):
To be honest, I think people just want a rough idea of when it could be online... October perhaps?

We can perfeclty understand that. We don't have a date yet as well. but I can tell you it is being worked on the chat currently.
I am no chat moderator anymore, so I am not involved in that process anymore, but I heard about it. But I cannot tell you when it will be released. I think a few weeks it will take...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 24):

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 28):
...but we will find something better.

DM has had plenty of time getting the chats up and running. It has been a year now. Johan would not tolerate this kind of delay if he was still around. Another thing to mention: The majority of the members on this site are paying a premium to keep this site up and running. They are funding this site. Do you guys really think that this is the respect the paying members deserve? I mean, think about it....

If you guys are having such a hard time trying to look for a better chat source, may I suggest contacting MSN Chats or Yahoo! Chats and seek advice from them?? You might want to consider that was well.

Think of the paying members. That is the key here.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Rj111

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 am

I really miss the live chat.  Sad

Daleaholic

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 42):
I really miss the live chat.

We all do, it's a shame really, because I met some good friends in there!  Sad

northstardc4m

Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 41):
Johan would not tolerate this kind of delay if he was still around.

Sorry, but i have to dispute that:

Johan spent over TWO YEARS looking for a better chat solution and never implemented one, instead he spent, not quite his verbatim but close, too much time fixing that stupid java applet every time he changed anything on the site.

Johan also completely closed off the chat for over 6 months when we got attacked on IRC.

Where was all this "it should of been fixed by X" attitude then I ask???

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 41):
MSN Chats or Yahoo! Chats and seek advice from them??

Advice for what exactly? MSN chat isn't just a piece of software you can go out and buy and plonk on any old PC and make work. It would require a massive infrastructure purchase for the back end to support. AND that's assuming you can purchase then at all, which I can't find any sign of.

Cadet57

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 44):

Well, when it was Johan and Henks running the show, it was understood it was just them two running the entire show. And two guys can only do so much, and the amount of work and dedication they had was never forgotten. Flash forward to now. You would think with DM and the size of their staff it would not take almost a year for a chat room to be built.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

deeplight

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 am

Its me and an Engineer....very similar to Johan and Henrik.
Sorry It hasnt happened soon enough. I'm working hard on a new Chat product / solution.
Paulo

wukka

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58 am

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 46):
Its me and an Engineer....

Woah... wait a sec. Full stop.

What happened to DM?

Isn't there some resource that you can call on? If eNom and answerbag, etc., fall under the same ownership, there simply *has* to be some other talent that can at least be borrowed from the teams that make those other sites run so smoothly to put a chatroom together.

Are there really only two people at the helm of "new a.net"?
We can agree to disagree.

AirframeAS

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Sorry, but i have to dispute that:

Johan spent over TWO YEARS looking for a better chat solution and never implemented one, instead he spent, not quite his verbatim but close, too much time fixing that stupid java applet every time he changed anything on the site.

Johan also completely closed off the chat for over 6 months when we got attacked on IRC.

There is a huge, huge, HUGE difference between two people running a site vs. a whole company running a site. DM could have gotten the chats up and running a heck of a lot faster than two people. (No disrespect to Johan and Henks.....) Think about it....

MSN chat isn't just a piece of software you can go out and buy and plonk on any old PC and make work.

Huh?! I used to help run MSN Chats as a host and yes we had to download the chat software to make it work. YOU should know this.... And ask MSN on how to get a decent chat operating. It does not hurt to ask.

AND that's assuming you can purchase then at all, which I can't find any sign of.

It wasn't purchased. It was downloadable.

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 46):
Its me and an Engineer....very similar to Johan and Henrik.
Sorry It hasnt happened soon enough. I'm working hard on a new Chat product / solution.
Paulo

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! I'm confused. Confused Where is DM? Who is actually running this site? We need more information that what you are giving out, Deeplight.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

deeplight

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Wait wait wait ..I run A.net at DM and Chris is the Engineer. That makes 2 people. We have a product manager who works on other properties as well. We are extremely busy finishing up the Database and upload makeover. The Chat falls behind this project. I'm sorry I confused you. What more information can I give you. I will announce the Chat when we find the right product.
Best Regards,
Paulo