Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml
Topic Author

No More IMG Tags?

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 am

In Monique's latest update, one item caught my eye.

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/77039/

Quote:
Fixes:
- In the forums - Block image tags that point outside of Airliners.net

I wonder what the rational behind this move is? Aside from destroying the non-av "Would you hit it" threads, the IMG tags make it very easy to include a graphic in a post without making the reader follow a link to another web page. Personally, I don't see this as an improvement, but would appreciate understanding why this has been done.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Jetsgo

RE: No More IMG Tags?

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:39 am

This will be the straw that breaks my back...
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

ual757

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:02 am

This is terrible, what are they thinking at DM?

Usually I don't get mad about stuff DM does, but this, this is...unbelievable.

Angry  grumpy 

flynavy

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:05 am

I can use IMG tags just fine?

Test:

That photo is hosted on Flickr. Can you all see it okay?
Change is: one airline, six continents!

jetmech

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:05 am

Quoting Scbriml (Thread starter):

Forgive my computer illiteracy, but does this also include Photo-bucket images  Confused ????? That's going to ruin a lot of threads where I include many of my own photos. I was rather hoping to be there for the QF A-380 arrival in Oz such that I could take photos and post them on A'net  Sad .

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
This will be the straw that breaks my back...

Exactly. So the only pictures we can include in threads are off the database???

Concerned, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

gkirk

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 4):

Not for long you won't be able to  Sad
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:48 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 4):

Yes, they're still working today, but Monique's post says they will be blocked some time this week. The "fix" is listed in the "For next week" section (i.e. this current week commencing 21st July).

Quoting JetMech (Reply 5):
Forgive my computer illiteracy, but does this also include Photo-bucket images

Yes. The item suggests that any IMG tag that links to an image that's not on airliners.net, will be blocked (resulting in a nice red "X"). You can upload images to your profile, but that storage is limited, many folks link to images on external sites in any number of threads for very good reasons.

You can, of course, just include a hyperlink to the image, but IMHO, it breaks up the flow of a thread if you have to repeatedly follow links to see images that someone is using to illustrate their point. This goes way beyond some fun in the "Would you hit it?" threads, it will impact many threads in several fora.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am

so how do these people expect trip reports with photos to be published?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am

I send [email protected] an email a few days ago but either they don't know or they have a queue of emails.

I think the overwhelming logic would dictate that it doesn't mean what it literaly means... surely ? Big grin
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

flynavy

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:06 pm

I, for one, would like an explanation as to why. This is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. The IMG tag is very useful in trip reports, pre-screening in the photography forum, and in general. I have NEVER heard of such a thing being done in ANY forum I have ever been a member of.

Put it this way...

If the IMG tag is removed, my photos in the database here will soon follow.

whappeh

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm

So, this makes, among other things, the Prescreen thread that is somewhat useful, largely irrelevant.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Wow I post this classic before it is too late.

I am quite surprised at this decision. Not only do IMG tags give the forum some spice and of course trip reports and other threads such as pets and self pix as well. I would like to hear from some of the crew about this before I pass judgement but so far it seems like another way to destroy the way the site was before takeover. I hope I am wrong.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

flynavy

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 11):

HAHA! Nick, fat chance.

Especially when I see consistent inept, misinformed, and asinine decisions coming from this site's management.

I'd also like to state, for the record, that my thread I started in the photographer forum was removed. Many photographers do not have access to the site related forum and are unable (and more than likely unaware) of this upcoming blunder, perhaps one of the worst EVER in this site's history.

Such a shame, a damn shame.

[Edited 2008-07-21 05:12:26]

KFLLCFII

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Thread starter):
I wonder what the rational behind this move is?

So DM can get more of your images on their servers (reduced to site-only uploads)?  Yeah sure
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

jetmech

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 6):
This goes way beyond some fun in the "Would you hit it?" threads, it will impact many threads in several fora.

I know I am a somewhat enthusiastic participant in the "Would you hit it?" threads, but honestly, my real concern is with the pictures I upload of special civil aviation events, such as the SQ A380 arrival in SYD, as well as photos I post in Tech / Ops.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 9):
If the IMG tag is removed, my photos in the database here will soon follow.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 11):
so far it seems like another way to destroy the way the site was before takeover.

Couldn't agree more with the both of you!

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

jamesbuk

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:01 pm

So they are going to remove the IMG tags, so we all have to host photos on our users and they will then flood them with ads to generate more revenue. Great except doing that will piss pretty much every single member off.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

TransIsland

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:10 pm

They just don't learn, do they?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

wouwout

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:19 pm

The'yre awfully quiet, aren't they... At first I suspected it was a real fix (i.e. there might have been problems with external tags and they're fixing it). It's a bloody disgrace if they're going to abolish external tags it (and ironically call it a 'fix'). O wait I might have offended someone  Wink

gkirk

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Quoting Wouwout (Reply 17):
O wait I might have offended someone Wink

Your account will be deleted soon  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

bigphilnyc

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 pm

The only negative aspect to having IMG tags allowed is that page loading can be slowed down a bit. There are other ways to address that, but I don't think I'll share my ideas.

"Never sell your pearls...."  Wink
Phil Derner Jr.

Viscount724

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Can we please have an explanation from DM for the reasons for this change. It will make many threads much less interesting. There are thousands of aviation-related photos, especially those covering the earlier days of the industry, that don't exist in the A.net database and help to explain and illustrate the subjects being discussed. For example, try to find an A.net photo of the Douglas DC-5.

Gofly

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:38 pm

The issue of IMG Tags is being discussed internally within the crew at the moment; we're all doing our very best to find a suitable solution that will work for everybody. We understand the need for the tags in Trip Reports, Pre-screen threads, technical ops discussion and in general in the non-aviation forum.

The reason the tags were thrown into question was because they were, quite cleverly, abused by some members - the result of this was quite unpleasant, and action needed to be taken.

As I said, exactly which action that should be taken is currently under review - we will not leave members in the lurch without a way to post pictures, I can assure you. They are an essential part of our forum.

I will, of course, provide you with an update as soon as I have one, but I just wanted to put your minds at some rest for the moment. If you've got any further questions or comments, don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

aviationmaster

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 pm

No more IMG tags? They can't be serious...

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 15):
So they are going to remove the IMG tags, so we all have to host photos on our users and they will then flood them with ads to generate more revenue. Great except doing that will piss pretty much every single member off.

I don't have a big issue with that, as long as they provide sufficient storage for the images (I suspect they don't want to become a flikr or photobucket though. But alos see my point below.

Quoting Gofly (Reply 21):
As I said, exactly which action that should be taken is currently under review - we will not leave members in the lurch without a way to post pictures, I can assure you. They are an essential part of our forum.

The issue is that in many threads, members use IMG tags to show images that provide real value to the thread. The can come from the sites of Aibus, Boeing, Flight International, etc. They are legitimate and add value. I'm struggling to understand the issue.

Now, if members are abusing the capability, then strengthen the rules around the use of IMG tags and ban offenders.

srbmod

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 23):
Now, if members are abusing the capability, then strengthen the rules around the use of IMG tags and ban offenders.

It's a bit hard to ban folks who are no longer members who have decided to act in this manner. That's who is behind the malicious images.

There's honestly not much the Moderators can do in regards to these images because the bulk of them are in post that have been auto-archived, and for some reason, the software does not allow us to delete posts from those threads. Until that issue is addressed on our end, all of us (crew and members) will just have to grin and bear it. It's not some

flynavy

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Has the staff considered taking this up with Photobucket (or whatever hosting service they're using)?

I'm sure whatever images they are linking to are hosted somewhere and from what you described are probably in violation of the hosting service's terms of use as well.

If you have their accounts removed wouldn't that solve the problem?

ScarletHarlot

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:55 pm

The reason the tags were thrown into question was because they were, quite cleverly, abused by some members - the result of this was quite unpleasant, and action needed to be taken.

While the need to take action is understood, I hope that a solution can be found that does not punish remaining members for the banned members' actions. The IMG tags are very useful. Imagine 2H4's popular "Identify This" threads in Tech Ops without the use of IMG tags. I assume that fixes currently being considered would cause all old IMG tags to no longer work. That would destroy many excellent threads.

What about deleting all of the problem user's posts, instead?
But that was when I ruled the world

whappeh

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:01 pm

So we are going to be punished because of the actions of a few? Why not just close the forum then?

srbmod

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 28):
So we are going to be punished because of the actions of a few? Why not just close the forum then?

The problem is that there's a chance that not all of these changed images are posted in Non-Av.

Closing Non-Av down would open up another can of worms that anyone who was here about 5 years back can attest to. Shutting down Non-Av is not a good solution at all (although I'm sure there are users who would disagree with that), as the furor that would erupt would be massive. When Johan shut down Non-Av back in May of 2003, he first closed it to everyone by First Class Members; after much anger and fury posted in Site Related and other forums, he shut it down completely. That got things riled up even further. Considering how some of the membership feels about Demand Media, three words for you: matches and gasoline. There would be so many posts and threads deleted that the servers may slow to a crawl.

flynavy

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:22 pm

I think every possible effort should be made by the crew/mgmt in this case to remove the affected posts.

By removing this functionality from the site you're letting these immature pinheads win - Queso, BannedinMAF, to name a few. They'd like nothing more than to see the entire membership of the site suffer in this case.

saxdiva

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Oh, hey... my ban is over. Just in time.

I've got one... FINAL... but sincere suggestion for all of you at Demand Media (including the mods).

Don't pull the trigger on this.
Seriously.

You DON'T eliminate dissent by stifling it. You just end up building increasingly-intense grudges. Haven't you folks noticed that the bitterness grows here the more you clamp down on your critics? Is there any chance you could have handled things another way? Why add fuel to the fire?

If there are a few images you guys find annoying because they're critical and posted by members you decided to clear out in a fit of frustration, IGNORE them. Enacting a "nuclear" policy like this to make an example of people you see as troublemakers isn't going to make you look like you're in control of what goes on here. It's just going to breed further hostility. Take the high road and start blowing this stuff off, and you might find that your membership will begin to respect you for it.

But hey, that just my $.02. It's your site, and your community to keep or lose.
See terms for details....

andessmf

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 29):
Queso, BannedinMAF, to name a few.

No, that is just one person...

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 29):
They'd like nothing more than to see the entire membership of the site suffer in this case.

No.

N1120A

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Just delete the posts. Besides, big deal if people are putting things on old threads that are archived. Those threads aren't getting much traffic at all anyway. Going around disabling functions that are used the vast majority of the time in a very positive manner is a really bad way of engendering support and confidence, particularly at a time where this site needs all it can get.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 24):

It's a bit hard to ban folks who are no longer members who have decided to act in this manner. That's who is behind the malicious images.

Why can't you delete the posts? Further, why does it matter if they are auto-archived, which means they have been gone for so long that they are no longer relevant. This is particularly true in non-av where people really don't care nearly as much about the archives.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

whappeh

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 28):
The problem is that there's a chance that not all of these changed images are posted in Non-Av.

Well, this is one of the worst decisions in the history of the internet. Total shame.

flynavy

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 33):
Well, this is one of the worst decisions in the history of the internet. Total shame.

Actually, that's debatable. The sale of Airliners.net by Johan Lundgren to Demand Media comes to mind.

Boston92

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:37 am

I'll chime in yet again, and use my power to keep this post here.

It seems as if there is a problem here (understatement of the year, I know). Demand Media and Co deleted members and threads that they contributed in have pictures that are, frankly, embarrassing to the site and Demand Media, and they can't change or delete the posts. Oops. So the remedy for the problem is not allowing any pictures to be posted. Seems to me, DM is just taking the easy way out (again). Instead of taking time to fix the problem (god forbid that), they just figure it will be in their best interest to make the posting of pictures impossible.

I wonder what the approval rating of Demand Media actually is.

strandedinbgm

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:59 am

There's honestly not much the Moderators can do in regards to these images because the bulk of them are in post that have been auto-archived, and for some reason, the software does not allow us to delete posts from those threads. Until that issue is addressed on our end, all of us (crew and members) will just have to grin and bear it. It's not some

Not buying it. YOU may not be able to delete it with your front end application, but a DBA should be able to jump right in there and delete the post right from the data table,
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 34):
Actually, that's debatable. The sale of Airliners.net by Johan Lundgren to Demand Media comes to mind.

Chris Johan walked away with mucho dinero, if I was him I would have done the exact same thing. I think many here would have too.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

aa61hvy

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:34 am

I do not think removing the IMG function is great idea. Why punish 5,000+users who use the function appropriately?

I feel like I'm back in elementary school. Punish the group? Weak.
Go big or go home

flynavy

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 37):
Chris Johan walked away with mucho dinero, if I was him I would have done the exact same thing. I think many here would have too.

Why do all you NYC folks address me by my first name? I wasn't aware we were all on a first name basis!  Smile

Nick, that wasn't my point. My point is the sale and blundering epic fail that followed were one of the worst decisions in internet history.

allstarflyer

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 38):
I do not think removing the IMG function is great idea. Why punish 5,000 users who use the function appropriately?

I feel like I'm back in elementary school. Punish the group? Weak.

Agreed.

Just want to see what I can do w/an image here . . .

Big version: Width: 333 Height: 250 File size: 106kb
Does that biker and this topic share a common end?
Living the American Dream

diamond

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 am

We have been advised by DM that the ability of users to link to external images will remain as it is. The problem has been addressed through other methods.

In other words, you will still be able to post images in the same way you've done in the past.

Crisis averted.
Blank.