N104UA
Topic Author

Does Johan Still Check The Site

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:58 am

I was Just wondering after reading a post and wondering if Johan still checks the site?
"Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly." -H.H. The Dalai Lama

ANITIX87

RE: Does Johan Still Check The Site

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 am

I'm sure he does. Despite what some may think, or what he may have implied, it must be terribly difficult to completely sever himself from his creation, especially with what is going on lately. I've heard various theories, ranging from him never, ever checking, to him discreetly surfing under a new username, to someone even suggesting that he directly involved in the new administration.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

HAWK21M

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 1):
I'm sure he does

Is that a guess or a definitive yes.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NIKV69

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 1):
it must be terribly difficult to completely sever himself from his creation,

If it meant that much to him he wouldn't have sold it.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):

In my estimation he may lurk but If I had to bet I would say he is a casual visitor at best. The frosty drinks on the beach and women with little or no clothing probably are taking up his time.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

Moose135

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
The frosty drinks on the beach and women with little or no clothing probably are taking up his time.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
That would be my guess - too busy enjoying the money he got from DM to worry too much about Anet.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

chachu201

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 4):
That would be my guess - too busy enjoying the money he got from DM to worry too much about Anet.

Not true unfortunately!

KFLLCFII

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 5):

Quoting Moose135:

Not true unfortunately!

You sound pretty sure of that answer...

So tell us...What is the truth?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

ANITIX87

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):

An assumption. It's not a guess because I do have justification for my hypothesis, but it's not definitive as I'm not in the know of things.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
If it meant that much to him he wouldn't have sold it.

It has been discussed repeatedly that Johan was having some health issues, and that the logistics of owning and operating this site as his location in Sweden were impractical. He must have decided that although this was his beloved creation, it was not worth the health risks or adminstrative troubles to continue running a.net, especially if he feared he could not maintain the incredibly high level of operation (little did he know, but let's not open that can of worms in this thread...)

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

chachu201

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 6):
So tell us...What is the truth?

I don't know much, but as far as I know he went on a well deserved holiday for a bit, but is now back in Sweden and dealing with the issues involved with the transfer of the site from Swedish to US law, doing legal and accounting things. However, its been a month since I last heard anything, so for all I know he could have joined the Foreign Legion by now!

Silver1SWA

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm

I read somewhere recently that Johan is at least aware of the current condition of the site and he is disappointed, finding recent happenings to be unfortunate. So it would appear that he still lurks, and still cares about the site to some extent.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Quote:
I read somewhere recently that Johan is at least aware of the current condition of the site and he is disappointed, finding recent happenings to be unfortunate. So it would appear that he still lurks, and still cares about the site to some extent

Nice but unfortunately he can't do anything about it.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

Silver1SWA

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 10):

Exactly, and I think a lot of people around here forget that little detail. Even if he did care, or regretted selling it, isn't happy with what DM have done etc., there is nothing he can do about it.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 am

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 4):

Any Individual who spent years in creating something from scratch,will never leave the field all together.
My instincts says....Johan will be def trying out something similiar someplace else.

regds
MEL

rg828

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:19 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 12):
My instincts says....Johan will be def trying out something similiar someplace else

Well, if he ever decides to create an Airliners.Net v2.0 I would switch over in half a heartbeat.
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Cadet985

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 11):
Exactly, and I think a lot of people around here forget that little detail. Even if he did care, or regretted selling it, isn't happy with what DM have done etc., there is nothing he can do about it.

He could try to buy it back.....

Marc

mtyfreak

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 9):
he is disappointed, finding recent happenings to be unfortunate.

checkmark 

WE MISS YOU JOHAN!!!!
Only here for the beer...

B747forever

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Johan will be def trying out something similiar someplace else.

Maybe he will do something similar like for cars, boats, trains and so on.
Work Hard, Fly Right

richm

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:49 pm

My instincts says....Johan will be def trying out something similiar someplace else

Wasn't health issues one of his reasons for him giving it up? If so, starting another site would not help his situation there. Besides, it would be very difficult for him to make another successful site like this one. He started this site very early in the "internet days". The domain name is worth at least a few thousand alone, and would have helped increase the site's userbase on its own. (Due to increased relevant search engine indexes) If he were to start a new site, it's unlikely he'd get another good top level domain like this unless he paid a lot of money for it. The end result, is that it would make it more difficult for him to make a successful site.

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 9):
read somewhere recently that Johan is at least aware of the current condition of the site and he is disappointed, finding recent happenings to be unfortunate. So it would appear that he still lurks, and still cares about the site to some extent.

I don't understand what is so bad about the current "condition" of the site"? I see people mentioning this quite a lot, but they rarely say what's wrong with it, maybe I'm missing something? (Feel free to PM me if I am) All I've heard is a lot of arguments/debates over new changes, and threads regarding a few bugs which need to be resolved. If I remember rightly, there were some annoying bugs back when Johan was around. But then again, there are not many site's around which are 100% bug free!

That said though, it was a shame to see Johan go and I wouldn't be surprised if he does check the site frequently. (Hello Johan if you're reading this ) I have only spoken to the guy a few times via the messaging system, and I was still quite sad when I heard the acquisition news. Johan gave the site a personal touch, which is something a company just cannot achieve in the same way in my opinion. But that aside, there are many advantages from being owned by a company with a lot of financial capital.

A lot of people just don't like to accept change, and I think that's what's causing some of the problems which this community has.

- RichM

[Edited 2008-08-08 16:10:11]

sudden

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:59 am

I for one thinks that Johan is still around as he did mention in the early stages of the purchase that he would most likely create himself a username and participate in the discussions from a member point of view.
On the other hand, why should he need to flag who he is?

There is a lot of "I think I read", "Someone said...." speculations going on without we actually know anything. Or a few might know but will not say anything.
Does it matter in the long run? I think we all want to see Johan do well as he created something that attracts a lot of people around the globe, and if to stay well meant that he needed to sell off Anet, so be it. A humans health goes above anything else.
Sure, he most likely got a sweet deal as well which he deserved.

That said,
I can also feel that bugs and errors are building up from time to time, and as DM is such a "big" company, they should also be able to be on top of it as Johan managed pretty darn good with 2 people for many years.
Now someone will probably tell me that everybody at DM is not working with Anet. That I do understand, but again, Johan managed with 2 people.

A.net has lost a lot of it's personal feeling that Johan gave it. DM has, naturally, a more commercial approach to it as they are out to make money from it.

Anyway,
Johan is most likely around, but I can well imagine that he have signed a contract with DM where it states that he will not reveal himself as the site is now property of DM, not Johan.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

deeplight

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:26 am

Just to let you guys know - Johan is fine and very happy with the current state of the site.

aaflt1871

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 19):
Just to let you guys know - Johan is fine and very happy with the current state of the site.

Why do I have such a hard time believing that last part?
Where did everybody go?

Silver1SWA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:54 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 20):

Why do I have such a hard time believing that last part?

To be honest, things are currently going ok (in my opinion) so I can believe Johan being pleased with the site at the moment. However, I would have a hard time believing he was happy with what happened a few months ago...if he was around to observe the chaos.

Elite

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 am

After running the site for such a long time, Johan probably knew that owning and maintaining the site is no easy task - and knew that DM would have a difficult time adjusting and adapting to A.net. Perhaps Johan understood the difficulty of the task that DM faced.

unattendedbag

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Quoting N104UA (Thread starter):
and wondering if Johan still checks the site?

I sure hope so, I am waiting for him to screen one of my photos.  Wink
Slower traffic, keep right

deeplight

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:08 pm

You are spot on Elite - Thanks for the support!
Yes - we worked closely with Johan and Henrik this year on many issues and both Technical and Admin.

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:44 am

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 24):
Yes - we worked closely with Johan and Henrik this year on many issues and both Technical and Admin.

Its good to see the contact still being mantained.
regds
MEL

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting RG828 (Reply 13):
Well, if he ever decides to create an Airliners.Net v2.0 I would switch over in half a heartbeat.

what about jp.net

Just to let you guys know - Johan is fine and very happy with the current state of the site

box 
I think we are all getting a little too defensive. It would be nice if Johan would post something if indeed he has a membership.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts