Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cadet57
Topic Author

So How Many More Times Will I Get This Survey?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Every 2-4 mins this Nielsen survey window pops up, annoyed I finally took it. I figured it would not come back. Wrong. It keeps coming, to the point that EVERY page I open it pops up. Enough is enough.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

wilco737

RE: So How Many More Times Will I Get This Survey?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):

hi there,

this is for sure annoying and not acceptable. I just had a chat with a guy from support, he asked to send an email to [email protected] . They have a procedure to deal with such annoying ads. A screenshot would help a lot to identify exactly what it is...

Thanks for your cooperation.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Cadet57
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Btw, the pop up is FROM a.net.

Heres a picture.

Big version: Width: 1440 Height: 900 File size: 342kb

Gofly

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Hello Cadet57,

As Phil has said, if you ever see an advertisement that you think is inappropriate, please send an email to [email protected] - this will allow us to promptly investigate it. If it's a pop-up advertisement, it might be worth looking at your own PC; Airliners.net does not run pop-ups.

Please also see this thread: https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/site_related/read.main/62138

Edited to add: I missed your post above. Given the nature of the pop-up, I've contacted Demand to trace the source of it. If it is indeed something that Airliners.net is running, I'll see if there's something that can be done about it. If not, it's possibly some adware that you have on your PC. I will, of course, provide you with information as soon as we have it.

Thanks,
-Gofly

[Edited 2008-08-26 14:25:01]
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

Cadet57
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting Gofly (Reply 3):
Airliners.net does not run pop-ups.

Not from where I am sitting.

Quoting Gofly (Reply 3):
If not, it's possibly some adware that you have on your PC

Two things

1) Running a mac, i've yet to have a pop up or spyware
2) running anti spyware and pop up blockers.

wilco737

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):

As GoFly said, we cannot do much from here. Demand Media is informed about it and they will trace it back from wherever it comes. And GoFly will provide you with more information once there are any  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Cadet57
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 5):
As GoFly said, we cannot do much from here. Demand Media is informed about it and they will trace it back from wherever it comes. And GoFly will provide you with more information once there are any

No, I understand that. Im just presenting it as I see it. This is the only site that I get this window on and I've never have and currently dont have any adware on my computer  Wink

wilco737

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 6):
No, I understand that. Im just presenting it as I see it. This is the only site that I get this window on and I've never have and currently dont have any adware on my computer

Very good, then we have all the information we need so far to trace that back and see what causes this.
I just cannot tell you how long this will take.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

UAL747

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 pm

This is terribly annoying. It opens when I go to ANY page on a.net. I don't want to take a survey!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Cadet57
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 8):
This is terribly annoying. It opens when I go to ANY page on a.net. I don't want to take a survey!

Good, atleast I know im not the only one (and that Im not going crazy, thou, that is still up for debate  Wink )

N243NW

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Nope, you're not the only one. I also see the survey on every single page. And I'm running on a Mac as well.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

phxIAHszxJNU

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:32 am

it is rather annoying and i am on a mac as well

never had any adware nor popup problems before
James

doug_or

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:27 am

Quoting PhxIAHszxJNU (Reply 11):
it is rather annoying and i am on a mac as well

never had any adware nor popup problems before

+1 on a mac. Thats kinda weird. Maybe we're getting some kind of comeuppance.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Flighty

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 am

Mac here, same survey. Safari. Maybe it is a Mac only problem. Good grief.

Safari's pop-up blocker takes care of it. F**** annoying.

Gofly

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 am

Hello chaps,

I do apologise for the inconvenience that this is causing; I understand that it must be very frustrating. Due to the fact that so many of you are experiencing the advert, I have contacted Paulo - he is going to thoroughly investigate the source in the morning and, if there's a problem, deal with it.

I can appreciate that we need to deal with it as quickly as possible, but please bear with us while it's investigated.

Thanks,
-Gofly

UAL747

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:37 pm

I should add that I'm on a Mac as well. And as of today, it's still popping up on every page.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

deeplight

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 am

First of all I would like to apologize for the nature of this survey.
This is a legitimate Neilson Survey that we hope will help Anet further define our user base so we can channel more relevant sponsors and ads on the site and I hope everyone can bare with us for just a little longer.
If you disable cookies this should not happen as well as install one of the many pop up blockers.
If it is still happening please post on this thread and let me know what browser you are using and we will address your situation immediately.
Best Regards
Paulo

MCOflyer

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:06 am

Am I only who's not experiencing it?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

doug_or

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):

Hunter

are you using a mac?
When in doubt, one B pump off

rdwootty

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I would have expected that once you had completed the " survey" then it should NOT reappear. this is not a very customer friendly thing you have done at Airliners.net

UAL747

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 am

I swear to GOD! Make this stop. It's really making me mad. I have never had to install a popup blocker on my computer and don't intend to. If you want us to take a survey, then place it on the homepage and let people who want to do it, do it. But stop making it pop up EVERY time I open a new page. It's obnoxious, annoying, and definitely not Airliners.net. I would expect to find this on some teenie-bopper website, but this is a serious website.

IT IS ANNOYING! PLEASE REMOVE IT OR FIGURE OUT SOME OTHER WAY!

UAL

N243NW

Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:37 am

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 20):
It's obnoxious, annoying, and definitely not Airliners.net. I would expect to find this on some teenie-bopper website, but this is a serious website.

checkmark 

I don't know if this is only a problem on OS X/Safari, but I find it extremely unprofessional and intrusive. I've never seen a survey that appears on EVERY SINGLE PAGE anywhere else on the net, much less on a large, professionally-managed site such as A.net.

As of now, the only reason I'm visiting Airliners.net is to immediately view this thread, see if anyone has reported progress on removing the survey, and leave for another website.

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 16):
If you disable cookies this should not happen as well as install one of the many pop up blockers.

Sorry, but I'm not about to change my browsing habits because of some "survey" that obviously hasn't been implemented as it should have been. That's why I bought a Mac in the first place.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

SB

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:16 am

Still happening, and very tiring.

This is without a doubt one of the worst thought out jokes you have come up with to date. I continued to renew my First Class membership despite all the previous problems, but this really is beyond the acceptable.
The fact that it only applied to US residents is the most revolting part - I couldn't answer the survey even if I wanted to, but continue to be harassed by it.

There is only one option: Get rid of it immediately.

Quoting N243NW (Reply 21):
As of now, the only reason I'm visiting Airliners.net is to immediately view this thread, see if anyone has reported progress on removing the survey, and leave for another website.

Same.

S.
"Confirm leave the hold and maintain 320kts?!"

HT

Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:50 am

Quoting SB (Reply 22):
There is only one option: Get rid of it immediately.

One local & quick option to avoid it would be to disable pop-ups in your browser. No need to install any additional program (if you are using a fairly modern version of a browser).

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 17):

No, I do not get any of these, too.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

wouwout

Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:44 pm

I'm running Safari on a mac and get no survey. I don't have pop ups blocked in the 'Safari' menu.

hercppmx

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:31 am

I'm also on a MAC and everytime I go to a new page that stupid little window pops up. If I had wanted to be annoyed by survey pop up's all day I would not have paid money to get a screen name. I expect more from a.net. this is the first thing that a.net have done to truly disappointment me.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

Elite

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:08 am

Please know that Airliners.net does not approve nor run pop up advertisements, and that as GoFly said this will be traced and tracked as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the popup and you can be assured we will do everything possible to prevent this from happening in the future, if it is indeed coming from the website.

Elite

luv2cattlecall

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:01 pm

On a PC, Windows XP Tablet Edition

Getting the same thing - stupid thing gets around Adblock Plus somehow.

Will be mailing the Wal-Mart receipt for a hammer to Demand Media - reimbursement can be applied to my membership dues  Smile!

Cadet57
Topic Author

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 26):
and that as GoFly said this will be traced and tracked as soon as possible.

Was tracked to this website due to what DeepLight said

Quoting Elite (Reply 26):
if it is indeed coming from the website.

Which was also, already said to have come from here  Wink

ajd1992

Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Just to rub it in - I'm going to add that I am on a Macbook, and I do not get this survey  Wink

So I don't think it's a Mac only problem.

I'm on Firefox 3, without any addons (more to the point, no anti-popup ones) and I don't get any popups.

I get the stupid ads on each page but I can live with those for now.

deeplight

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:07 am

There is definitely something wrong with the behavior of this survey.. it will be over shortly and in the meantime we are currently working with Neilson to figure out the issues.

dlowwa

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm on a Mac, and using Firefox 3.0.1 with or without pop-up blocking enabled, I don't see this survey, or any pop-up ad, for that matter.

Is the problem persisting for you other guys? Must be a pain...

UAL747

Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 am

This apparently is a Safari problem with Mac. I don't get it on my grandmother's PC, but whoever owns this site, this is horrible. I mean I don't even want to come here at the moment and I love this site and have been a member for almost 10 years. This has to be probably the most annoying thing that I've experienced in my 10 years here. And the fact that it's been going on for about a week a no fix yet makes me think that DM doesn't really care.

Sad, pathetic, not a way to retain customers. Oh wait, I was grandfathered in, so I guess I don't pay, so I guess I don't count.

Sad all the same.

UAL

chachu201

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:22 am

A user has contacted us with a short term fix to the agressive behaviour of the survey, but I must emphasise that this is not a solution, and we are still working just as hard to resolve the issue. Here is his message:

I have found a work-around that seems to help alleviate, though not eliminate this constant pop-up survey annoyance. When the pop-up first appears as you start browsing A.net, don't close it, but drag it almost completely off the screen, mostly out of sight. (Minimizing it doesn't work.) Each time you go to another A.net page, it refreshes in the same place. Out of sight, almost out of mind.

(From member jkbkkatl)

Cadet57
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 33):

It doesnt work. Because of my online coursework, I cannot have popups blocked, because of this-I am not visting here as much, furthermore. 8 days and no remedy? How come this is taking so long. Why not in the intermin the survey gets taken down and then, once the problem is fixed it gets put back?

deeplight

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:57 am

Hello All
It's been a very frustrating week for many of you due to the strange behavior of this survey. I was really looking forward to this survey running its full cycle (about another 10 days) and gathering some valuable data. I sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience this has caused. We are taking it down tomorrow around noon PST.
Best Regards,
Paulo

N1120A

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting Gofly (Reply 3):
If it's a pop-up advertisement, it might be worth looking at your own PC; Airliners.net does not run pop-ups.

You know, that was the same thing Johan used to say, and it was patently untrue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Gofly

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
You know, that was the same thing Johan used to say, and it was patently untrue.

Johan had a strict policy of not running pop-ups on Airliners.net; however, as Johan was subcontracting the advertising out, he did not have direct control over which adverts made it onto the page. Despite his best efforts, the advertising agencies sometimes provided us with pop-up adverts by mistake. These were always promptly reported; and, in return, promptly taken down.

The policy still stands; if you see an inappropriate advertisement, please report it to [email protected] - the matter will then be investigated, as it has been here.

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 35):
It's been a very frustrating week for many of you due to the strange behavior of this survey. I was really looking forward to this survey running its full cycle (about another 10 days) and gathering some valuable data. I sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience this has caused. We are taking it down tomorrow around noon PST.

Paulo has acted efficiently and promptly on our requests; the survey should no longer be on the site. I do apologise for the inconvenience that the survey caused when it was running.

Should you have any further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us again. Given that the issue has now been resolved, I am now locking this thread.

Thanks,
-Gofly