Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAm747
Topic Author

How Long Until "Already Read" Feature Works Again?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:00 pm

I have written several notes to those in charge here at airliners.net, and I have not received any response, nor has the problem been addressed.

When the great switchover to the new database occured, this problem was fixed. However, by early June, older threads maintained this feature, while newer ones do not.

Oddly, it seems to be unique to the main Civil Aviation thread - Polls & Preferences and Trip Reports still have this.

For threads with multiple responses, it is extraordinarily useful to not have to figure out where the last read response is.

I am asking those that run the site to please look into the problem and get it fixed and returned to the users. It is very annoying and time consuming to not have something that we used to have.

Thank you for your consideration!!

PanAm747
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

andz

RE: How Long Until "Already Read" Feature Works Again?

Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 am

It works fine for me in all forums.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

PanAm747
Topic Author

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I have checked-in on several computers, and it does not work on any of them in "Civil Aviation". Other forums work just fine.

My main gripe is that no one from those that run the website will speak to me about it. Thanks, guys!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

chachu201

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Sorry we havent been able to get back to you on this, however I really don't know what the progress is. Chris is spending a lot of time building core functionality, so that these little bugs will all be easy to fix.

PanAm747
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Thank you, Chachu201, that's all I wanted to hear. As long as I know someone is working on it, and that I am not being ignored, I can deal with the situation. Thanks again for looking into the problem!!

Elite

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:17 am

You can be assured that all bugs reported do get looked into and fixed as soon as possible. Occasionally, though rarely, one thread slips through or we don't reply, but either one of the us (Support crew) picks it up or the programmers see it.

Elite

AF022

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am

Can I ask the status of the "already read" feature, and if it is just me or everyone who is having this problem on "general discussion" forum.

I really miss this feature.

iliribdl

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):
I have checked-in on several computers, and it does not work on any of them in "Civil Aviation". Other forums work just fine.

My main gripe is that no one from those that run the website will speak to me about it. Thanks, guys!!

Same thing with me, only "Civil Aviation" is not working, every other forum is fine.

But be assured that we're working on it, we'll let everyone here at A.net know as soon as the problem is fixed.

[Edited 2008-12-09 07:00:56]
delta.com

deeplight

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi All
We are prioritizing this issue and should have an update on a fix over the next week.
Thanks
Paulo

smeg

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Quoting Deeplight (Reply 8):
Hi All
We are prioritizing this issue and should have an update on a fix over the next week.
Thanks
Paulo

Paulo, thanks for the update.

I too am still experiencing this very annoying problem.

I am a little concerned though. This was one of the major bugs that has been in the bug log for months now. Many of us were understanding of the issues that the site had for a long period of time. However, we all accepted that it was due to the "cobbled together" nature of the original dbase and front end code that you inherited (I was in IT myself and can certainly attest to the problems that that causes!!!)

However, there was a "re-write" of the code to consolidate all the patches. This was done some time ago and there was allegedly months of beta testing. Now, when I have implemented new software releases in the past, the beta testing was both back end and "click every button and run every possible process combination" in the front end.

Assuming that this has been done, I really am struggling to see why......
1) Many of the bugs still exist from pre re-write.
2) The speed is still below par.
3) The re-write seems to have nuked many of the photographic elements of the site (those that really are the bread and butter of this site). To tell the photographers not to upload their photos, to have counters re-set for views, to have photos and information mis matching really is astonishing and unprecedented in this type of release.

Has the entire re-write been released, or are we looking at a partial rollout?

Will there be another release in the near future that will have all the bug fixes in it?

Is there not a danger of this new release being patched so many times that it will start to fall over in the near future under the weight of all the new code patches, and so the vicious circle continues?

I know that these are difficult times for you all and that you are working very hard to resolve all the problems, but I (and many others I assume, although I may be wrong) would like assurances that this is just a blip in the release and not a glimpse into the future!

Thanks.

wilco737

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:18 pm

It is funny as in some threads in the civ- av forum this feature works.
Currently only one I know of: the SQ and the 77th 777 thread.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

smeg

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 10):
It is funny as in some threads in the civ- av forum this feature works.
Currently only one I know of: the SQ and the 77th 777 thread.

I think that it is truly ironic that this feature is broken for me on this thread! It seems to work ok on the bug thread though!!!!!

Keep at it guys!

lincoln

Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Quoting Smeg (Reply 9):

I too am still experiencing this very annoying problem.

I am as well, multiple machines.

If the feature can't be fixed promptly, can the whole "compressing" replies be disabled entirely?

I thought I had it set in my profile (but I can't find that setting now) to show something nice and high like 75 replies at a time... for some reason the site is "randomly" deciding to either show me all of the replies uncompressed (my preference) or compressing them in groups of 25 (who would want to expand only 25 replies at a time?) which gets really annoying with longer threads where you have to keep expanding groups to figure out where you left off.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Revelation

Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):

Yep, me too.

The site sets a cookie in your browser that gives it a way to figure out which threads you've read, and which replies you've read, etc.

I've often wondered if setting that cookie gets turned off for general (civil) aviation, since it is the most popular forum, and keeping track of all of that stuff must be a huge load on the a.net servers.

It is a very nice feature, though, so I hope they figure out a way to make it work.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ShyFlyer

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 13):
I've often wondered if setting that cookie gets turned off for general (civil) aviation, since it is the most popular forum, and keeping track of all of that stuff must be a huge load on the a.net servers.

The issue was explained some time ago and I think the problem lies with the cookie itself (one for each forum). I'm rarely active (reading or responding) in CivAv, and I never encounter the All Unread message in threads I've visited. By contrast, I read a lot of the threads in Non-Av, and see the issue frequently.

This issue apparently just isn't very high priority. Which is unfortunate since it has been an issue since, IIRC, before the sale of the site to Demand Media.
I lift things up and put them down.

WrenchBender

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:54 am

I wouldn't mind if it was consistent. In Non-Av some threads are working properly for me and some are not. It is quite frustrating having to open up a 200+ reply thread to read the last 3 or 4 replies. Please fix this "MINOR" problem it is getting annoying.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Revelation

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Seems to have been working on Civil Aviation for the last few days!  Smile

Revelation

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Seems to have been working on Civil Aviation for the last few days! Smile

Seems to not be working on Civil Aviation for the last week or two! Sad

How is it that bug fixes appear and disappear on this site?

wukka

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 am

I'm with you, Revelation... I've taken a long stay from this site so that I could get my own ducks in a row, hoping that this place would do the same, but it seems that the progression is yet another regression.

Whatever. The powers that be will do whatever they want, and we're just the simple folk that check in every now and again to see what is going on.

Too bad, too sad, I guess.  Sad
We can agree to disagree.

wilco737

Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:25 am

Hi guys,

it is being worked on. It depends on the system you use if this feature works or not. On my desktop it works from time to time, on my netbook and laptop it works fine, without problems.

And I can assure you that there is a lot of work going on in the background which you don't see on a daily bases. The site is more stable, the forum search is working, the upload page is fixed, that statistics etc etc... Many changes of things you maybe have never used on airliners.net.

wilco737

baroque

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Quoting Chachu201 (Reply 3):
Sorry we havent been able to get back to you on this, however I really don't know what the progress is. Chris is spending a lot of time building core functionality, so that these little bugs will all be easy to fix.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Seems to have been working on Civil Aviation for the last few days! Smile

Seems to not be working on Civil Aviation for the last week or two! Sad

How is it that bug fixes appear and disappear on this site?

For me it was working except on Non-av at the time of the first post quoted (5 months ago), since when it has gone into graceful decline to current total absence from any Forum as per Revelation's revelation!!

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 19):
it is being worked on. It depends on the system you use if this feature works or not. On my desktop it works from time to time, on my netbook and laptop it works fine, without problems.

Any idea what the controlling factor is. Is it the browser and why would it disappear when it had been working on a given browser??

wilco737

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 20):

Any idea what the controlling factor is. Is it the browser and why would it disappear when it had been working on a given browser??

I guess it seems to be with Windows Vista. All my other PCs don't use it and the function works fine, only with Vista it only does from time to time.

wilco737

lincoln

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 19):

I've found on all of my PCs the feature seems to work from the "top navigation bar" (e.g. where "My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search " lives) but never works from the bar inbetween the first and all sucessive posts. In that area, it's perpetually some variant of "XX replies: All unread, showing first: " or "XX replies: All unread, jump to last" (and it's a crapshoot if the "jump to" is linked or not)

Not to muddy the bug with a feature request, but is there any chance that the read/unread could ever be attached to our username and not the individual PC? I know for example, that I browse A.net on my home PC, my work desktop and my work laptop and it would be nice if they kept each other in sync.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

baroque

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 am

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 21):
I guess it seems to be with Windows Vista. All my other PCs don't use it and the function works fine, only with Vista it only does from time to time.

I am XP only for better or worse.

The feature seemed to go into graceful decline prior to its apparently total demise. So it would show, for example, 34 read when actually you had read 39. But at least it got you close. Then, PHUTTTT.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 22):
Not to muddy the bug with a feature request

Wow, you must be a difficult guy to please at Christmas time!!!  Big grin

jc2354

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:56 am

It's been almost 3 months since the last post, and was wondering the status. I am still having the problems. Maybe others are as well?

Jack
If not now, then when?

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Quoting Jc2354 (Reply 24):
It's been almost 3 months since the last post, and was wondering the status. I am still having the problems. Maybe others are as well?

Hello Jack - Jc2345: I cannot replicate the problem using IE or FF, the function works as it should, which browser are you using?

Thank you

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

jc2354

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:15 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 25):
Hello Jack - Jc2345: I cannot replicate the problem using IE or FF, the function works as it should, which browser are you using?

Thank you

Paul

Paul, thanks for the quick reply. My primary browser is FF, with IE being a seldom used second. I still can not get the function to work with FF.

As far as IE, the past 2 days, I've done all the necessary updates, virus scanning, clean up, etc. I was able to get the "already read" function to work, but only if I disable my anti-virus program (norton).

For now, I will use IE to access airliners.net, and will tinker with FF to see if I can get it to work with FF.

I do appreciate your help.

Jack
If not now, then when?

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am

Quoting Jc2354 (Reply 26):
For now, I will use IE to access airliners.net, and will tinker with FF to see if I can get it to work with FF.

Hello Jack, thank you for the information, it should not be that you have to disable your anti virus software to have this function work. I'll look into FF for you to see if I can replicate the problem and find a solution.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

ShyFlyer

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:57 am

I've posted my observations on the subject before, but I'll repost it in the hopes that it proves useful:

It seems to me that this feature does not function as well for me in forums in which I read a lot of the available threads. For example, in Site Related, this feature always works, as I do not read that many threads. Contrast this with Non-Aviation, where I read many of the threads, and the feature works sporadically.
I lift things up and put them down.

VirginFlyer

RE: How Long Until "Already Read" Feature Works Ag

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm experiencing similar issues (I wrote about it in replies 34 and 35 of Report The Bugs Here - Part 4 (by Moderators May 19 2009 in Site Related) ). I'm using Safari 4 on Mac OSX.

I tried clearing all Airliners.net cookies, and it resolved the problem with the "2 unread: Jump to first" link in the My Starred Topics | Profile | New Topic | Forum Index | Help | Search | 2 unread: Jump to first line of text above the thread opening post, however the "77 replies: All unread, showing first :" between the thread opening post and the advert/first reply still seems to be non-functional.

Additionally, the text "51 replies: 41 compressed (already read), showing 10 unread" is still intermittently appearing above the first ad, as shown in reply 35 of Report The Bugs Here - Part 4 (by Moderators May 19 2009 in Site Related) - it is always this text, the numbers do not change regardless of the size of the thread. I *think* it may only occur on ads hosted by Google, from what I have observed, but I can't guarantee that observation - I'll keep looking and report back when I have more data...

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 28):
It seems to me that this feature does not function as well for me in forums in which I read a lot of the available threads. For example, in Site Related, this feature always works, as I do not read that many threads. Contrast this with Non-Aviation, where I read many of the threads, and the feature works sporadically.

I've experienced pretty much the same thing - prior to me clearing cookies last night, it died fairly quickly in Civil Aviation, lasted a couple of weeks in Tech/Ops, and seemed to still be working in the other forums, which is in line with the majority of my browsing being in Civil Aviation, a reasonable amount in Tech/Ops, and very little in others. Now having cleared the cookies, as I stated above it is working in all forums, but for how long, I don't know.

Mods - would you prefer I post this here, or in the bug report thread? This thread seems to be dedicated to the problem I'm experiencing, but I've previously discussed it in the bug thread?

V/F

Edit: A further example of an issue I've previously had and just experienced again: Sometimes when you click on the "2 unread: Jump to first" link, it doesn't take you to the correct post, but rather just to the thread starter. For example, see:

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...eral_aviation/read.main/4475910/#6

[Edited 2009-07-09 07:57:39]
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

wilco737

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm

I don't know what is going on with that "already read" function. It worked fine with FF, then it stopped working in the civ- av forum. Deleted cookies, then it was fine again.

Now I changed the browser (not because of that, for various reasons). Now I am using Iron from SRWare and it works fine in all forums without problems.

wilco737

jc2354

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:56 am

ShyFlyer, VirginFlyer, and Wilco,

I appreciate that you come forward with similar issues. I was really afraid that I might be the only one. Again, thanks very much.

And, to Paul, thank you for all your research.

Jack
If not now, then when?

scottjungwirth

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 am

I made a change to the way this function works that went out with today's push. Please let us know if you continue to experience problems with this feature.
¤ © â ™ ¤se ™ © áếng Việ

JoeCattoli

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Still get the same problem with FF, usually it skips 12-36 hours, so when i refresh the CivAv page and open various threads I checked a few hours ago it is as if I didnt read a thing in the last 12-36 hours... which is quite annoying.

Thanks for your work

Ciao
Joe

[Edited 2009-08-03 14:36:39]

overcast

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Same for me, but it's only gone wrong the last few days.

scottjungwirth

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 pm

OK, I'll take a closer look at this as soon as I can.
¤ © â ™ ¤se ™ © áếng Việ

JoeCattoli

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Quoting Scottjungwirth (Reply 35):
OK, I'll take a closer look at this as soon as I can.

Just wanted to check if work has already been done on this issue, because I still get the same problem.

Just as an example i got it in the CivAv thread A320 blended winglets, but it still happens in roughly 50% of the threads for me.

Thanks

Ciao
Joe