Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EL-AL
Topic Author

Pictures Problem On TR Forum

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello,

I loaded some pictures to a Trip report which I wrote on TR forum. I loaded them to photobucket.com, then linked the pictures to the post. Everything was OK for 4 days, then suddenly all pictures disappeared and insted of them all I see is "Bandwidth Exceeded".

Someone has idea what is the problem and how I can solve it?

Thank you.

LY
every day is a good day to fly

Braniff747SP

RE: Pictures Problem On TR Forum

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:44 pm

I belive that photo bucket has a limited bandwith per month, at the start of the month it resets. Maybe someone that uses photo bucket can expllain??
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

exFATboy

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Photobucket, and most services that offer a free account (like Flickr), put a limit on your monthly bandwidth - in Photobucket's case, that's 10GB, reset every month.

While that sounds like a lot, pictures can eat up a surprising amount of bandwidth really quickly, especially if you don't reduce the file size before uploading. It's also possible, and I have no way of knowing, that Photobucket automatically resizes the picture files.

But in any event, you only have 10 gig to work with, and your report has (if I counted right) 76 pictures. I can't do the sums without knowing the actual bandwidth used per picture, but if we presume a modest 10KB per picture, you'd run out of bandwidth somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1,300 report reads. As of a few minutes ago, your report had been read 2,168 times, so it's easy to see how you've exceeded your bandwith (and I think 10KB/pic is probably too low, hopefully someone with better knowledge of this sort of thing can step in and clean up my math!)

Bottom line is that a basic Photobucket account is really too small for the purpose - if you're going to post TRs frequently you may want to upgrade your account...if Photobucket is like Flickr, it's less than $30/year.

EL-AL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Thank you ExFATboy for your answer. I can't really understand how they know how many people saw my TR.

What can I do now? Maybe splitting the TR to 2 parts?

(I am ExFATboy myself...117km->84  weightlifter  Wink

Luftfahrer

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:28 am

Use flickr. My first trip report has been read more than 5000 times and I obviously haven't exceeded my bandwith ever since, and I don't even have a pro account.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

EL-AL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:51 am

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 4):
Use flickr

Thx for the idea. Can I use my father's Yahoo e-mail with no extra charge, or does it cost money to use this website?

Thx.

diamond

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 3):
Thank you ExFATboy for your answer. I can't really understand how they know how many people saw my TR.

Each time someone clicks on your trip report, the hard drives at Photobucket must 'deliver' the images to the user's browser. They count the number of times that happens, along with the size of each file and keep track of the number of bytes transmitted.

Photobucket is a good resource but they've decreased the amount of bandwidth allowed, which causes that blank placeholder to appear more often than it used to.
Blank.

Luftfahrer

Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:01 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 5):
Thx for the idea. Can I use my father's Yahoo e-mail with no extra charge, or does it cost money to use this website?

It does not cost a thing, unless you go pro. With a regular account, you can upload up to 100mb per month and you are restricted to a maximum aspect ratio of 1024 pixel.
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

richm

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I suggest using tinypic.com. Afaik, it doesn't have any bandwidth restrictions. Assuming that to be the case, the problem described wouldn't occur if people use Tinypic.

Rich

Elite

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:08 am

Quoting RichM (Reply 8):

The only problem with Tinypic is that you can't modify the pictures after they are uploaded, whereas Photobucket you can manage it from within your account at PB.

egyptair269

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 pm

I had this problem yesterday. So I stopped using Photobucket and used Google Picasa. I highly recommend it, very easy to deal with your photos, and doesnt have a bandwidth limit