Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA
Topic Author

Changing Username

Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Will an option to change our username be available? I remember it was being discussed a while back.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

richm

RE: Changing Username

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Quoting BA (Thread starter):
Will an option to change our username be available? I remember it was being discussed a while back.

Hi BA,

As far as I'm aware, there's currently no plans for such a feature to be implemented. However, it is a good idea and is something which I'm sure many would be interested in.

I will forward this on to management for you.

Cheers

Rich

gocaps16

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:25 am

Yes, please.

For some that's been on this site for 10+ years, in which a.net was FREE for all users, I really don't plan on forking some $$$ to this site to change my username. It would be a good option for all users.

Jetsgo

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:17 am

Although I do not agree with this idea, I would like to suggest that if implemented, readers be able to see the users former username for a certain amount of time...

For example:

JetsGo772LR
Formerly JetsGo
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

MCOflyer

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:32 am

I've been wanting to change my user name in ages. The other networking site for truckers lets the manager do this. Maybe A-Net could have Pan-AM DC10 do this.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

diamond

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:34 am

This is more complicated than it sounds, which is why such this capability has not yet been offered.

All posts & threads associated with a user (some may be up to 10 years old) would have to be edited or re-written to reflect the new username, or else that user's history would be lost. Additionally, all references (quotes) of that user's posts would need to be also re-written.

Our existing 'quote' function was introduced only a few years ago. Formerly users had to quote each other manually. Thus, a system-generated username change would not change all of those manually written quotes.

In the meantime, users can request that an existing account be closed and a new one opened with a new username, with the obvious drawback of losing all history, RR associations, etc.
Blank.

Airport

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 5):
This is more complicated than it sounds, which is why such this capability has not yet been offered.

All posts & threads associated with a user (some may be up to 10 years old) would have to be edited or re-written to reflect the new username, or else that user's history would be lost. Additionally, all references (quotes) of that user's posts would need to be also re-written.

Our existing 'quote' function was introduced only a few years ago. Formerly users had to quote each other manually. Thus, a system-generated username change would not change all of those manually written quotes.

In the meantime, users can request that an existing account be closed and a new one opened with a new username, with the obvious drawback of losing all history, RR associations, etc.

Honestly, I might consider that with my account seeing as I just got it not too long ago and I'm a fairly new member here (loooooooooooooong time lurker).

At first when I saw that the username Airport was available, I was like "Slam Dunk! My lucky day!" but honestly, it's awkward when someone refers to me by username in a post, and I can't search my posts very easily since the word Airport is used countless times on the forum. Heh, I thought I was oh-so-clever.