Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cubsrule

Comments And Questions Re: Jan/Feb 2010 Release

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:30 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 99):
Another problem noted. I just tried to edit a reply and assumed it was still within the 60 minute deadline as the "Edit Reply" link appeared at the bottom of my earlier reply.

My post two above you, which I posted about 3 hours ago, still has the "edit post" link even though it is clearly outside the 60 minute window.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:15:18 by Diamond]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

diamond

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:23 am

Quoting Dalavia (Reply 82):
I can't add or delete photos to my profile.

This bug has been noted by many users and is well-known to the Developers. It will be resolved soon.

Quoting Andz (Reply 81):
I used to have the option in my profile of having the posts uncompressed (the good old way) and now this option is gone and replies are compressed. Me no like.

This bug has been noted by many users and is well-known to the Developers. It will be resolved soon.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 80):
When you are at the photo upload page and click "check my photo stats" it takes you to a dead page.

Already reported. Due to be resolved.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 75):
I also have received no response, not even an acknowledgement of the problem I reported

Please see replies #58 and #63 in this thread.

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 71):
If you could see it in your hearts to make an old grandfathered (site-wise) member happy and return the PM function to grandfathered members.

This new release does not involve reducing, eliminating or changing the features that were already included in your account level. In other words, if you've always had PMs and access to post in Site-Related in the past, there is no intention to remove those features. What you're experiencing is a bug rather than a change in service. It's been reported.

Quoting Packman (Reply 70):
My profile shows that my last post was about an hour ago but I have not posted anything since about 24 hours ago!

This is true of most users. Although this has not been confirmed, it appears that the system is reporting the date of your most recent login as the date of your last post. It was reported to the Developers earlier today.
Blank.

cpd

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:36 am

Attempted to appeal a rejected image - but got this message:

Quote:
Unauthorized Action!

You do not have access to this page.

I was logged in - but it won't let me appeal.

nighthawk

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 83):
Gkirk From New Caledonia

I love the fact that New Caledonia gets a flag, when its a part of France! If they can have one, so can Scotland!

We spent years campaigning to get it added, and now DM have just removed it without consultation?

BRING BACK THE SCOTTISH FLAG!!!!!!

ajd1992

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:23 pm

Nighthawk, there is a reason I am now North Korean  

French Polynesia isn't even a country, and it gets a flag. Unfair maybe?

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:12 pm

It seems there's limited space for uploading images to your personal profile. For example if you wanted to insert an image into the "Other Information" part of your profile before, the page stretched to suit the size of the image you were uploading. Now it doesn't.

Example: https://www.airliners.net/profile/amricanshamrok

aerecosse

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 103):

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 104):

when will the flags issue be addressed?

If you asked the majority of 'UK' members I'm sure they will tell you they'd prefer their own national flag beside there names rather that the Union Jack - bring back the home nations flags!
Flown: BA,BD,BY,AMM,DA,MON,LC,BE,EI,FR,EZY,NW,CO,US,HP,F9,AC,QF,AN,NZ,TN,GZ,MH,EK,EY,PG,IB,JK,FH,BV,LH,SA

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

When looking at the top 5 on the front page (or even 24 hours) they all have the same "Other great photos" and they are from BJ regardless of who the photog is. This is not the case when I watch one of my own images which all have been added before the update.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:20:21 by Diamond]
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Plainplane

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 107):
When looking at the top 5 on the front page (or even 24 hours) they all have the same "Other great photos" and they are from BJ regardless of who the photog is. This is not the case when I watch one of my own images which all have been added before the update.

I can confirm the same here.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:21:34 by Diamond]

JoeCattoli

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 pm

When I click on the preview of the first post of each thread in the Forum page the lines shown never hyphen, and its something that happens since months and months, cause of this its a function I never use these days.

When the preview option was first introduced it worked very very good.

Also, its very many days I didn't post on A.net and my profile page say my last post is of about 3 days ago.

Ciao
Joe

IHadAPheo

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 101):
This new release does not involve reducing, eliminating or changing the features that were already included in your account level. In other words, if you've always had PMs and access to post in Site-Related in the past, there is no intention to remove those features. What you're experiencing is a bug rather than a change in service. It's been reported.

Thank you for replying to my issue with the PM and email function. I am a heavy user of the PM feature as it is a nice way to avoid clogging up threads with the inane banter of an old man. I am still unable to send PMs or emails via the site. Instead I get the following message

"Sorry, only First Class & Premium members can send messages.

Thanks again for your interest and time

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

chachu201

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting Aerecosse (Reply 106):
If you asked the majority of 'UK' members I'm sure they will tell you they'd prefer their own national flag beside there names rather that the Union Jack - bring back the home nations flags!

I'll ask about this, totally agree! England all the way  

Phoenix9

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 am

With all due respect to developers and their hard work, DM messed up big time trying to make this site "better". I don't know why they chose to stick a finger in hornet's nest when the previous version of the site had so many bugs and issue to begin with.

I hope there is a lesson learned from here.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Jetlagged

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 93):
Strongly recommend reverting to the old flags. Many of the new ones are unidentifiable. When they're that small they have to be as sharp as possible. For example, the new US flag looks like a reddish smudge with a little blue in one corner.

The UK flag has now been changed but it's still not as clear as before (it has some odd anti-aliasing so it still looks blurred). I see the Swiss flag is now smaller than the rest for some reason. I agree reverting to the original flags which were clear and readable is the best solution.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

WestWing

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 am

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 113):
I see the Swiss flag is now smaller than the rest for some reason

Most countries have rectangular flags typically 2:1 or 3:2 or 5:3 ratio (approx). The official Swiss flag is square (1:1).
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

baroque

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 am

When I try to add a photograph to my User profile I am told I need to check in, then it tells me I am already checked in (which I rather knew) and then basically it buggers off.

emseeeye

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 115):
When I try to add a photograph to my User profile I am told I need to check in, then it tells me I am already checked in (which I rather knew) and then basically it buggers off.

YEP. Same here. I took some photos of the L-1011 at MKC yeterday and I cant post them. Frustrating to say the least.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:03 am

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 107):

When you also check "From this location" it shows the correct images (mine from that location), and when I uncheck it again it shows my own "From this photographer" photos.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

diamond

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:02 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 112):
With all due respect to developers and their hard work, DM messed up big time trying to make this site "better". I don't know why they chose to stick a finger in hornet's nest when the previous version of the site had so many bugs and issue to begin with.

I hope there is a lesson learned from here.

There is no negative lesson being experienced here. Indeed there are some bugs which have been reported above, and they will be addressed. But the general functionality of the site is stable and most areas of the site work as they should.

Profile edits, album photos, national flags and the appeal queue are all important aspects to users, and will be addressed.

You are only seeing one portion of the new release. It also includes extensive re-working of the administrative side of the site, vastly improving the tools and functionality available to the crew. Some of these these have been on our wish-list for quite a long time and this release tackled a lot of them.

For example - when the moderators move a thread from one forum to another - the system has never generated emails to the thread-starter, until this week. The moderators had to manually compose emails making note of the old & new URL's etc. We made good progress in getting this done consistently in the last year, but the system will now ensure better customer service by handling the task every time.

And another example is that emails will now be automatically generated when thread-titles are changed.

Yet another example is that post deletion notices now place moderator comments at the top, more prominently, so the basic reason for a deletion does not get lost in paragraphs of text. Users requested this change.

Just a few months ago we added the ability for moderators to edit posts - which has reduced the number of post deletions because we have been able to save user's content by removing a sentence or two instead of the entire post.

At the same time we increased the edit-time from 30 minutes to 60 minutes for users to edit their own posts, which also reduced overall post deletions.

When you include the things added a few months ago and the significant changes implemented last week (even if they aren't readily obvious to you) it is a major step forward in providing better customer service to users.

A little more than a year ago a release was implemented which caused extensive problems. Different people were involved then. By contrast, this latest release is a very positive step forward for the site. The number of bugs is relatively small given the huge scope of what was included in this release.

[Edited 2010-02-01 00:04:48]
Blank.

kiwiandrew

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 118):
By contrast, this latest release is a very positive step forward for the site. The number of bugs is relatively small given the huge scope of what was included in this release.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion though judging by the feedback from members your opinion is not widely shared. The number of bugs may be small , but their impact certainly is not insignificant.

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 am

I don't know if this was intended, or is a bug, but I certainly don't like it:

When I just came to A.net, on the front page, the entire background behind the modules is a giant Acura ad.

I was going to include a screenshot, but, of course, I can't upload photos to my profile (it prompts me to log in....and then tells me I'm already logged in).

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:25:03 by Diamond]
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NZ107

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:19 am

Whatever this new business is of turning the homepage into a massive ad in the background, it is not helping at all in the whole scheme of things. The website is being turned into something much more tackier and it doesn't need to be like that. It detracts from what this website should all be about - the gathering of aviation enthusiasts worldwide. IMO the homepage looks disgusting in its curent form with the ad in place. Nevermind the planes, it seems to be purely a revenue generating ploy: one that looks like it has the potential to deter people from the site.

Just my 2c

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:25:23 by Diamond]
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

N1120A

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 121):
Whatever this new business is of turning the homepage into a massive ad in the background, it is not helping at all in the whole scheme of things.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 120):

When I just came to A.net, on the front page, the entire background behind the modules is a giant Acura ad.

I saw that when in the non-av forum. That was awful.

[Edited 2010-02-01 00:27:53 by Moderators]

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:25:40 by Diamond]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

YXD172

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 118):

You are only seeing one portion of the new release. It also includes extensive re-working of the administrative side of the site, vastly improving the tools and functionality available to the crew. Some of these these have been on our wish-list for quite a long time and this release tackled a lot of them.

Well, I guess thanks will be in order once the site returns to full functionality... However, I question the priority of issues being addressed here. There are still plenty of problems with the new release but instead you choose to introduce a new add to the front page. Photo screening has slowed down to less than half of what it usually is (coincidence? maybe...) though the uploading problems negate some of that... And there are still plenty of other account and forum issues that remain...

If A.net needs the add revenue, fine (though as others have said, something a bit more tasteful would be nice, this one is just a good way to shoo off visitors) but could we please get an update that fixes the current issues before introducing more.

Jon

PS. I'm not sure if it was introduced in this release or not, but I think blocking the Site Related forum from prospective members is a bit underhanded -- this is the only place on the site where we're allowed to mention the bugs with the site...
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

McG1967

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Some bugs that have crept in since the new release:

Following appear in photographer's corner:

1. View my photos in DB link at the bottom of the upload queue stats page takes you to view all photos in the DB.
2. My Total number of photos in DB at bottom of the upload queue stats page shows number of photos before shots added over the weekend - out by 6 at the moment.

Resolved.

When viewing a full size copy of 1 of my pics in the DB, the Other Great Photos by this Photographer thumbnails below it do not show any of my photos.

It might be a good idea to let those with a photographer account be able to post messages to the Site Related board.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:38:19 by Diamond]

spencer

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Quoting McG1967 (Reply 124):
Following appear in photographer's corner:

The comments added to my photos have disappeared in the photog's corner too now...

Spence.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 13:46:23 by Diamond]
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

diamond

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Quoting YXD172 (Reply 123):
PS. I'm not sure if it was introduced in this release or not, but I think blocking the Site Related forum from prospective members is a bit underhanded -- this is the only place on the site where we're allowed to mention the bugs with the site...

That was implemented in July 2008.
Blank.

LTU932

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 pm

I get the distinct feeling that absolutely no beta testing has been done before the new software went live. Had there been beta testing, then I'm sure the amount of bugs would have been much less, and would not nearly affect the browsing of this site as much as it is the case now.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

srbmod

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 127):
I get the distinct feeling that absolutely no beta testing has been done before the new software went live. Had there been beta testing, then I'm sure the amount of bugs would have been much less, and would not nearly affect the browsing of this site as much as it is the case now.

Your feeling would be incorrect, as there was quite a bit of beta testing done prior to it going live, as members of the various crew departments tested a laundry list of items prior to the new software went live. No matter how much beta testing gets done beforehand, there will always be things that don't pop up until the site goes out of beta and goes live.

jid

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 128):
No matter how much beta testing gets done beforehand, there will always be things that don't pop up until the site goes out of beta and goes live.

You have obviously never worked on a properly ran commercial site! The whole point of beta testing is to find bugs before the changes go live. If the bugs had got past beta testers on the sites I have worked on we would of sacked the testers   or got more involved. Of course it could be the way your dev site is set up who knows... someone should.

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

LoneStarMike

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Here's something I've never experienced before. I started a thread over in civil aviation and made a seperate post for each of 13 videos I'd found on youtube. Everything was ok, until I went back and edited one of the posts to put some text in bold. Now when you click on the thread, you get this:

Vintage Aviation & Airline Promotional Films (by LoneStarMike Feb 1 2010 in Civil Aviation)

No text anywhere in the thread.

Or is it just me that can't see the text?

LoneStarMike

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:39:54 by Diamond]

LTU932

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 130):
No text anywhere in the thread.

Or is it just me that can't see the text?

It's happened in a few other threads as well. It appears to be temporary, I guess you'd have to wait for a few hours (if not at least a day) for it to sort itself out.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:40:13 by Diamond]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 127):
Had there been beta testing, then I'm sure the amount of bugs would have been much less

Quoting Jid (Reply 129):
The whole point of beta testing is to find bugs before the changes go live.

And you two has probably never programmed anything in your life (and no using dreamweaver is not proper programming  )
Never underestimate the ability of your users when it comes to finding bugs. We have beta tested projects before, for weeks, and still there are several bugs that appear due to the ingenuity of the users. One of the reasons I don't program any more apart from the odd SQL-query.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Ok, Jid, you just might have  

LTU932

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 132):
Never underestimate the ability of your users when it comes to finding bugs.

Good point, so why not make open betas. The developers could choose or invite certain users to test new features in the live environment.

richm

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Quoting Jid (Reply 129):
The whole point of beta testing is to find bugs before the changes go live. If the bugs had got past beta testers on the sites I have worked on we would of sacked the testers   or got more involved. Of course it could be the way your dev site is set up who knows... someone should.

Jid

I've worked on quite a few sites over the years, many of which were owned by multi million dollar companies, and I can honestly say that I've never seen one which was ever 100% bug free after a major update. Airliners.net is miles ahead in comparison and is making good progress despite some of the teething issues which are apparent.

As pointed out already, Airliners.net & Demand Media carried out extensive beta testing before the updates were applied to the live site. Inevitably, some bugs may have slipped through the net. In addition, it's also important to keep in mind that while a fix may solve one problem, it may inadvertently create another. (due to the nature of software development.) Despite that, I think the pros of this update will far outweigh the short-term cons. For example, the back-end has been significantly improved, offering better functionality and long term-stability. Additional features and enhancements have also been added to various parts of the site. Once the teething problems have been ironed out, Airliners.net will have a much better product than what it had before.

We do understand your concerns and there's a lot of internal and external communication to ensure that any outstanding issues will be addressed as soon as possible.

All we ask is for your continued patience, along with your constructive input. The end result will be a better site, for everyone to enjoy.

Rich

[Edited 2010-02-01 14:18:39]

F27

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I do not like the front page.It seems all about nothing but advertising.

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 12:41:22 by Diamond]

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Quoting F27 (Reply 136):
I do not like the front page.It seems all about nothing but advertising

Hello F27 thanks for your feedback, it is there for only one day as noted in the following thread
Acura Advertisement Running Feb 1st (by PanAm_DC10 Feb 1 2010 in Site Related)

Please feel free to comment there so we can keep this thread for bugs.

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

sralfalo

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 pm

I cannot upload photos bigger than 1Mb. Up to last week that was possible without any problems. Will there be a change?

locsta

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 am

Would it be possible to have the mods edit the original post with a list of the bugs currently on the list from this thread. I don't have time to read them all, but I noticed a couple things.

1) #5 on the front page "Top 5" shots is blank
2) Acceptance email links to "recently added" instead of the accepted image
3) Link to "your photos" in que stats goes to database's most popular
4) "Other great photos" is screwed up

Cheers,

Kevin
Missed 4 chasing 1

Mir

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:19 am

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 46):
Would love to have more threads per page on the forums again. It seems like there are fewer per page.

Absolutely agree. It seems like most of the pages have half the threads per page that they did prior to the update.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

747classic

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:10 pm

When I post a reply in a thread the read counter shows "0" until another reply is added after my reply.
It happened on several different topics and forums.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Severnaya

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 140):
Absolutely agree. It seems like most of the pages have half the threads per page that they did prior to the update.

+1
This is very irritating indeed.

Also it seems the website reverts all the time my setting of unlimited posts shown (the good 'ol way) to 25, really disturbing, can't this be solved somehow?

I wonder what the advantages are of the new website, thus far i haven't seen any improvement (okay the flags are better).  duck 
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

747classic

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Unable to delete any uploaded picture(s) from my "profile". After this : "Default" image is displayed.
Also impossible to edit additional remarks with uploaded pictures on my "profile".
Unable to upload pictures to my profile from my computer, it states that i am not logged in.

All very frustrating.

[Edited 2010-02-02 07:28:53]
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

OA412

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Anyone know if the PM issue has been fixed yet?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

OA260

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Id rather see more topics on the one page like it was before.

zkeye

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 128):
No matter how much beta testing gets done beforehand, there will always be things that don't pop up until the site goes out of beta and goes live.

I am sorry but are you saying that no one noticed the problem with compressed threads? The testing cannot have been that extensive to have missed this.

John
Bring out the gimp

Psych

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 pm

I have been away from the site recently - unfortunate to come back to these kind of issues.

After a couple of minutes I notice two irritating issues, previously commented upon but not resolved:

* Replies in threads all compressed, and making changes in my profile to my preferred 'Good old way' of seeing all replies in full does not make any difference. This despite me reading here that this problem was going to be resolved some days ago.

* I also see that all the comments to my photos have disappeared in the Photographer's Corner. It says I have had no comments at all - but in fact have loads when I last looked. Without this there is no easy way of knowing how users are responding to your images, so this needs to be resolved.

Resolved.

Paul

[Edited 2010-02-04 13:49:51 by Diamond]

OA412

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm

PanAm_DC10, I received your test PM, but when I try to reply I still get this message:

Sorry, only First Class & Premium members can send messages. Sign up Here

Resolved.

[Edited 2010-02-04 13:49:23 by Diamond]
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

kiwiandrew

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Quoting ZKEYE (Reply 146):
I am sorry but are you saying that no one noticed the problem with compressed threads? The testing cannot have been that extensive to have missed this.

Exactly - this raises serious questions about any "testing" , it is such an obvious and annoying bug that it should have been picked up before this 'upgrade' was unleashed on the unsuspecting members . Fixing this , and the limited number of threads per page should be a priority , but unfortunately nearly a week after the screw up ( oops , I mean "upgrade" ) no fix has occurred and no timeframe has been given for a fix , instead all we get are bland assurances that it is being looked into and rather annoying self congratulatory messages that things went really well so we should be grateful that they didnt make an even bigger mess .

Frankly this is unacceptable . Can somebody please give us a timeframe on when this is going to be fixed ? Bearing in mind the number of SNAFUs in the last couple of years I think that it would be a good gesture on behalf of Demand Media to extend everyones memberships by a couple of weeks in recognition of the degradation of service that this and other "enhancements" have caused .