Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yeogeo
Topic Author

"Right Now In The Forum" Feature

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm wondering if the "Right now in the Forum" feature on the home page couldn't be re-titled "Right now in the Forums" and include selections from all the forums instead of just from Civil Aviation. It would give some of the "backwater", lesser viewed forums a little more attention, No?

Keep up the good work, men and women behind the scenes of A-net!   

yeo

jetfuel

RE: "Right Now In The Forum" Feature

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm

I agree too. A lot of the topics are missed because they are not in Civil Aviation. IMO CA is overflowing and needs breaking up
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

alwaysontherun

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm

I started a topic on this a while back:

"Right Now In The Forum" Is Only Partially True. (by alwaysontherun May 30 2010 in Site Related)

Why is the locked thread on the Iranair crash still in this section……..???????? Just to give you 1 example!!

There´s room for a lot of improvement in this section, it´d be great if you could see the highlights (the REAL ones) in a flash on the home page.

###"I´m always on the run"###
"Failure is not an option, it comes standard in any Windows product" - an anonymous MAC owner.

kanban

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:01 am

I've hit a few titles only to find the thread deleted... not just locked , but gone.... most annoying

Eltomzo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 am

I agree, there are some very interesting topics being left out of the front page snapshot which always seems to end up clogged with Americans discussing Delta for eternity!

yeogeo
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Moderators... any response?

Its not as though the home page couldn't use a new look. How long has it been in its current state?

After all, getting a glimpse of all the threads, not just Civ Av, would gives the home page viewer a better grasp of the whole site in all its multi-faceted glory  

yeo

richm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 pm

The problem is that many of our users (i.e. those who do not participate in the forums) enjoy using Airliners.net due to their sole interest in aviation. With this in mind, it's probable that threads like "Word game #4234232" won't appeal to them. Therefore, it's possible that such a feature change may actually have a negative effect on the forum in the sense that it could make the forums less appealing to them. There's various ways which could further improve view counts in the other forums but I don't think this is one of them.

Please note that my opinion is solely that. My views do not necessarily represent those of Airliners.net or its management.  
Quoting yeogeo (Reply 5):
Moderators... any response?

We don't make these decisions.   What I can tell you though is that our management view the Site Related forum on a daily basis and welcome the feedback from our users.

Moose135

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting richm (Reply 6):
The problem is that many of our users (i.e. those who do not participate in the forums) enjoy using Airliners.net due to their sole interest in aviation. With this in mind, it's probable that threads like "Word game #4234232" won't appeal to them.

But there are 7 aviation-related forums that don't have things like "Word game #..." that might be of interest - Military Av, Tech Ops, and such.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 am

Quoting moose135 (Reply 7):

It is based upon the amount of discussion and views the thread topic receives within a 24 hour period. That explains why all are from the Civil Aviation forum, as we're an aviation database with discussion forums the non aviation forum is excluded. Should a military topic be "hot news" and a lot more were to participate then there'd be a good chance of those threads appearing along with those from the other forums.

So long as civil aviation is the most active forum, the topic displayed will usually always be from there as many non members check and read the forum frequently for the latest news.

Regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Moose135

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 8):

It is based upon the amount of discussion and views the thread topic receives within a 24 hour period.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. Reading richm's reply, I was under the impression that only Civ Av was part of the feed.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

yeogeo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting richm (Reply 6):
The problem is that many of our users (i.e. those who do not participate in the forums) enjoy using Airliners.net due to their sole interest in aviation. With this in mind, it's probable that threads like "Word game #4234232" won't appeal to them.

This argument ignores the fact that Travel, Polls and Preferences, for example, is made up of threads of aviation topics exclusively.

I admit, I'm "pro-TP&P" because my re-occurring threads are always regulated to that forum and I would like to have more readership because, after all, I spend a lot of time on my posts.

So... I wonder how on earth another "Right now in the Forum" would repel viewers interested in aviation?

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 8):
So long as civil aviation is the most active forum, the topic displayed will usually always be from there as many non members check and read the forum frequently for the latest news.

Usually?? Has there ever been a topic from another thread from a forum other than Civ Av?

It seems to me when a topic is hidden in a less viewed forum with no "advertising", so to speak, the result will always be less readership. I don't see why this is to the advantage of A-net in general.

Quoting richm (Reply 6):
There's various ways which could further improve view counts in the other forums but I don't think this is one of them.

I'm all ears  

yeo

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:58 am

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 10):
Usually?? Has there ever been a topic from another thread from a forum other than Civ Av?

Yes, I've seen two from the Military forum in the module, the unfortunate thing is they timed out rather quickly. I understand your point on TPP and perhaps we could make a tweak that would remove the 24 hour limit for less frequented forums.

Regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible