Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cpd
Topic Author

Moved Threads Notification?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 am

I wondered if it might be possible to include a feature improvement to the forums, where if a message is moved - it remains listed on the forum in its original location, but with a "moved" note on it, and when you click on it, you'd be taken to where the new message is.

There have been numerous messages I've replied to - that ended up being moved (I guess they were, but I don't know for sure), and they just vanished.

It would be a nicer user experience if they didn't just disappear.

Please note - this is a feature suggestion for the forum and NOT related to moderators or moderation.

[Edited 2011-06-29 17:22:50]

ALTF4

RE: Moved Threads Notification?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:10 pm

It would be nice - but then the thread moving really wouldn't fulfill the purpose of decluttering the forum where the thread shouldn't be. In fact, you would have two listings for one thread then - one in the old forum, and the actual topic in the new forum.

Maybe a "moved threads" page, where any thread that has been moved is listed? Should be simple, really - just expand the database columns for the threads to insert a "threadMoved" column, default it to 0, but when a mod moves the thread, it gets set to 1, and the thread automatically gets listed on the 'moved threads' page. Ideally the page would show the old location and link to the new, but even just a list of thread names would be fine - just click the thread and you'll see what forum you're in.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

cpd
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:59 am

The reason I suggested it is because it is a standard feature in many other forum systems, including many that I've administered over many years.

A typical solution to the decluttering of the forum would be that the "message moved" listing stays in place for a period of time, and then is automatically pruned. That gives the interested parties time to know where the message went to, while also serving the purpose that you've highlighted.

I realise the forums here are somewhat "unique" compared with some of the "off the shelf" systems seen elsewhere with massive user bases developing for them.

Braniff747SP

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Yes, I like the idea; the thread stays on the original forum for a few hours, redirecting you automatically and giving you messeage...
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

bj87

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 am

Quoting cpd (Thread starter):

It would be a nicer user experience if they didn't just disappear.

That would be very nice and while we are on the topic of disappearing threads. It would also be a nice feature to mail everyone that participated in a thread when it gets deleted. So that they don't have to spend time searching for something that isn't there anymore.

Disclaimer: Not criticizing moderators for deleting something but it would be nice to know that something that you spend time and energy on to participate in got deleted and why.

[Edited 2011-07-14 02:46:45]

exFATboy

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 pm

One thing that would mitigate this problem would be if the "stars" didn't drop off a topic if it gets moved. It wouldn't solve the whole problem, but it would make it easier to look for moved topics you've previously followed or posted to.

A bigger suggestion would be to update the description of "Travel, Polls and Preferences" - most moved threads (at least in my experience) are moving from C&CA to TPP, and some of the topics moved don't fit the current description:

"Opinion-based discussions about aviation. The best, worst, biggest, smallest. Or seeking advice as to a preferred carrier for a trip you are planning, etc."

I know that, at the least, posts to C&CA asking for information about a flight they recently took or are about to take (registration, equipment, etc.) are now supposed to be in TPP, yet they don't fit this description (unless you really stretch "etc") - these are factual requests, not opinion.

If the goal is to reroute certain topics to TPP, that's fine, but the description needs to be expanded to include them, perhaps by stating that information requests (be they for factual info or opinions) go here. Or by stating that any discussion of an individual's travels - opinion or factual, past or future - goes in TPP. (That might have been the intention of adding the comma between "Travel" and "Polls", but that's not exactly clear.) Perhaps TPP needs to be renamed entirely?

And there still seem to be some ambiguities on what's moved to TPP vs C&CA - this week, a topic on airports that were originally military bases was moved from C&CA to TPP (that's how I noticed the "star" issue). Yet similar discussions (history of airplane type "X" with carrier "Y", airline "Z"'s history at a certain airport, etc.) have remained on C&CA. Inconsistencies like this make it hard for members to know which board to start a topic on and frustration when they're moved, and create work for the moderators.

If it's desirable to move historical discussions like these off C&CA, that's understandable, but again, the description of TPP needs to be changed to make it clearer as to what's supposed to be where. Or perhaps historical discussion should have its own forum?

I don't mean this as criticism of the moderators or the moderation process, just that the ambiguities in the definition of TPP are creating confusion among members and more work for the moderators.

Here's a suggestion for updated descriptions, getting away from the terms "factual" and "opinion" since there's no real way to get "opinion" entirely out of C&CA, and some "factual" info requests would be on TPP. My hope would be that a redefined and expanded TPP would get more traffic, eliminating another reason for topic moves, members posting advice requests on C&CA just to get more responses.

Commercial and Civil Aviation - Discussion of events in the airline, aircraft, and airport industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the facts and commentary here first.

Travel Information, Advice, and Preferences - Opinion-based discussion about the industry (e.g. "What's your favourite airline?"), and requests and discussion related to individual members' past or future travel, such as advice on airline, hotel or route choice, registration or equipment information on a past or future flight, etc. (Detailed descriptions of a past trip should be written as a Trip Report.)

If it's decided to split purely historical discussion out of C&CA, the C&CA description could just be changed to "Discussion of current or possible future events..." I'm not sure how to get historical discussion into TPP without the description becoming really unwieldy, though.

(edited for grammar)

[Edited 2011-07-15 09:51:39]