Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

mikesairways
Topic Author

Facebook Ad On Main Page

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 pm

lately when i've been coming to the main site, logged in as first class, there's an ad at the bottom wanting me to "like" a.net on facebook. I've liked it - but the ad still shows....kinda annoying.

thanks!
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

srbmod

RE: Facebook Ad On Main Page

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

In the upper right corner of that "ad", there is an "X" you can click that will remove it and it will not appear again.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting mikesairways (Thread starter):

As Steven noted you can close it. Also, if you're logged into Facebook it should not appear all the time.

Regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Braniff747SP

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 1):

In the upper right corner of that "ad", there is an "X" you can click that will remove it and it will not appear again.

Appears to me every "first" visit to the homepage every day. I kill it every day... What's the need of it, otu of curiosity?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

dumbell2424

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:00 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
What's the need of it, otu of curiosity?

Especially if we've already liked the page on Facebook. Shows up everyday for me as well.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:21 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
What's the need of it, otu of curiosity?

The need for it is to increase the reach of the site. Been quite successful too. I am logged into FB and see it once a week using FF 5. Naturally I see it on the other browsers which I am not logged into when viewing the site.

Regards

Paul

brilondon

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:13 pm

I was wondering why, even though you say that it should not appear on the home page after you click on the x and when I come back to A.Net and still checked in, I am still seeing it. Personally I can't see being on facebook as a positive thing since you don't need to log on to see all the latest aviation news and photos but just log into here. It is annoying to say the least. I have, as stated before and with great difficulty canceled my facebook subscription and have no interest in liking anything from it.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Brendan03

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 6):
I was wondering why, even though you say that it should not appear on the home page after you click on the x and when I come back to A.Net and still checked in, I am still seeing it. Personally I can't see being on facebook as a positive thing since you don't need to log on to see all the latest aviation news and photos but just log into here. It is annoying to say the least. I have, as stated before and with great difficulty canceled my facebook subscription and have no interest in liking anything from it.

I too had deactivated my Facebook account due to lack of interest (and a few other reasons) -- Admittedly, It is somewhat tacky looking to have it popping up as an on-top banner, when they could have used one of the advertising slot positions on the page itself.

I can see why it's been put there.

Basically... User A, who is an Airliners.net regular and uses Facebook, 'likes' Airliners.net page on Facebook. User B who is friends with User A, who has a passing interest in Aviation but doesn't know about Airliners.net (I know, right?) sees that "Your Friend likes Airliners.net" -- User B inspects what Airliners.net is, Likes it, User C (who doesn't know User A) sees the ad, The trend continues.

Basically, In short, It's there to turnover more traffic on the site, given it's basically free advertising for Airliners.net, and can in turn, increase membership.

I do believe it can also be used to post news about the website to peoples Facebook feeds, whether or not this is done is up to whoever manages the Facebook Page and whether they are active in updating it, though judging from the use of the Twitter account, I think that's probably a likely thing, given the updates on the twitter account (which was very useful yesterday when the forums were up and down constantly)

That all being said, I'm glad the 'banner' is gone. (for the moment)

I hope this removes some of the mystery behind it being there.  
Coolier than thou.

Braniff747SP

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 7):

Yes, I understand that it my provide some more visibility.... But I'm sure 99% of A.netters that are on Facebook have "liked" the site.... Anyhow, it's not that big of a deal; does get distorted, though, when viewing the site on an iPhone; takes up valuable space, too...

707lvr

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:54 pm

I don't want to join you on Facebook. I don't want to be BFF's with you. Make the annoying (original string of unfortunate words deleted) ad go away. I really do not need one more thing to "X" to escape every day. Where is the UNLIKE bitton anyway!!?

Braniff747SP

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 9):

I don't want to join you on Facebook. I don't want to be BFF's with you. Make the annoying (original string of unfortunate words deleted) ad go away. I really do not need one more thing to "X" to escape every day. Where is the UNLIKE bitton anyway!!?

Sometimes I feel like this. I agree.

wilco737

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I find it a little annoying when I am using my cell phone. It blocks almost half of the page on my cell phone screen and to actually hit that tiny little "X" to close that doesn't always work.

wilco737

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Quoting brendan03 (Reply 7):
Basically, In short, It's there to turnover more traffic on the site, given it's basically free advertising for Airliners.net, and can in turn, increase membership.

I do believe it can also be used to post news about the website to peoples Facebook feeds, whether or not this is done is up to whoever manages the Facebook Page and whether they are active in updating it, though judging from the use of the Twitter account, I think that's probably a likely thing, given the updates on the twitter account (which was very useful yesterday when the forums were up and down constantly)

This covers it rather well and we do send out shots via FB to the followers newsfeeds, The amount of traffic generated by for the site is substantial. It is about greater reach for the content of the site and we're going to leave that sliver on the homepage.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 11):

It is here to stay. We're not the only site to have it and nor will we be the last.

ShyFlyer

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 12):
It is here to stay.

Nice to know you listen so well to valid concerns. I don't visit the homepage at all because of that ad.
I lift things up and put them down.

brilondon

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:05 pm

It is here to stay. We're not the only site to have it and nor will we be the last.

That is quite unfortunate you have taken that position. I think that it should not be seen by those of us who can't find the unlike button.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 13):

That is your choice and it is regrettable that you allow one advertisement for the expansion of the site to influence your decision. The benefits we're seeing for the entire community from this are substantial

Quoting brilondon (Reply 14):

There is no option for an 'unlike' button, just the "x" to click. Refer above as to how it benefits the entire community, that is why the sites owners will keep it.

I'm sorry that we can't please everyone and for you, it may not be beneficial, however we firmly believe that we're doing the right thing for the community and the entire site which is why it will stay.

Regards

Paul

unattendedbag

Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:23 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 15):
Refer above as to how it benefits the entire community,

If it generates additional money for the site, I'm for it! If it adds a couple extra hits to my photos, I'm for it! If more people become "aware" of the site by its positioning, I'm for it!
Slower traffic, keep right

Plainplane

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:43 am

Personally I think this banner popup that appears at the bottom is a tad overkill with the Facebook advertising, especially considering that it keeps coming back and back and back, and that the site appears to already has reasonable means of promoting it; on the right side of the home page under the advanced search there is a nice little subtle yet noticeable box advertising the Facebook page which I think is sufficient, fits the page layout, and fulfills the purpose.

As Phil mentioned, this banner is a serious obstacle for users of mobile phones. It essentially hinders the site's accessibility for these members who utilize these devices, and I too have noticed this when I tried to access the site through my own phone a few times. From my perspective this should be of serious concern.

Garyck
Screener

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 am

I'm getting really really FED UP of this banner at the bottom, I don't want to be part of Face book.

Every time I log on the Airliners.net home page I have to X it, I find annoying. My wife spends her life on that rubbish, infact, her life is controlled by it...............As well as the hundreds of 'friends' that she doesn't actually know.

I access Airliners.net many many times perday either through my Mobile phone, PC at home or work. Sometime I find I have to restart the Internet because when I hit X, it locks up.

Please Airliners.net/Demand Media can you put a little link somewhere on the actual Home page rather that big banner

The thing about this site is that we are able to PM people if we need to contact them.

Kind Regards

Gary
Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer

jayeshrulz

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 am

This aint gonna happen guys.Trust me, many people are linking their sites to facebook for awareness.
Maybe Anet is overdoing it. But hey, who hears?
So stop complaining and move on guys. Accepting change is good.     

Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

fxramper

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 am

I don't have FB but if it makes the site revenue, I'm all for it.   

I woudn't mind seeing an iPhone app for Airliners with a user friendly platform.   

Braniff747SP

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 20):
I woudn't mind seeing an iPhone app for Airliners with a user friendly platform.   

That will never happen... It's a pity.

Silver1SWA

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am

What bothers me most is this attitude...

It is here to stay.

Same thing with the announcement to the photographers regarding social media. You basically said this is what's new, we know you wont like it's effects on the Top 5 but tough.

I just wish you guys cared a teeny tiny bit about how we feel.

You have many people asking for a solution so they don't have to continue seeing the banner after already "liking" airliners.net on FB. I don't think anyone is asking for it to be removed completely...just figure out a way to make closing it permanent as long as you're logged in.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N243NW

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 22):
I don't think anyone is asking for it to be removed completely...just figure out a way to make closing it permanent as long as you're logged in.

EXACTLY. I don't think anyone on the site argues the value of the ad for generating new traffic. The problem is that it comes up each and every time registered users visit the homepage. I'm already a "fan" on Facebook, so why does it still appear?

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 5):
I am logged into FB and see it once a week using FF 5.

Well, judging by the number of people (including me) who still see the ad even though they're logged in, there is obviously some problem with the code or cookies involved. And I'm using FF 5 too.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

rampart

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 am

I'd like to add that my two separate computers with different virus software are now detecting this Facebook popup as "Potentially hazardous". I was going to report it separately, but I think it's related to this thread.

I find it annoying, too, but am more concerned that it's seen as a malware threat -- whether it really is or not, either way, it's enough of a disincentive to "like" it. Or is the computer threat here to stay, as well?

-Rampart

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 6):

Hi Brilondon, we are not asking you to like it.

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 17):

Noted thank you and though the site is not too mobile friendly at the moment, there will be a point in time that will change. On an iPhone, I see sometimes see a slow page load, yet on a Windows phone and several other mobile devices it loads immediately. It depends upon the actual handset you have.

I know you want to see the homepage, may I sugget you bookmark some others pages you visit frequently via your mobile device to navigate directly to them.

Quoting Garyck (Reply 18):
I don't want to be part of Face book

Hello Gary, as noted previously we are not asking you to like it, it's purpose is to increase the reach and awareness of the site. It is no different to how many other companies use social media to promote their brands. It is more directed at the casual visitor, they're choosing to follow us now and rather than just a one off visit, they're becoming frequent visitors and it is not just a few either.

I access Airliners.net many many times perday either through my Mobile phone, PC at home or work. Sometime I find I have to restart the Internet because when I hit X, it locks up.

Please send me an email via [email protected] with your work and home PC details (OS etc) and we'll take a look.

The thing about this site is that we are able to PM people if we need to contact them.

That or email is the best way to communicate with other members, as noted, we are not asking you to join Facebook and our social media is structured for the benefit of the main Airliners.net site.

Quoting jayeshrulz (Reply 19):
This aint gonna happen guys.Trust me, many people are linking their sites to facebook for awareness.
Maybe Anet is overdoing it. But hey, who hears?

Here I am, change is good, especially when it benefits the entire site the way it currently is.

Quoting fxramper (Reply 20):

iPhone app, we receive a lot of requests for that and thanks for yours.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 21):
That will never happen... It's a pity.

You just said the word "never", let's see what pans out in relation to something will never happen  
I just wish you guys cared a teeny tiny bit about how we feel.

Oh I care and I also understand and accept the reasons as to why you may feel that DM don't.

just figure out a way to make closing it permanent as long as you're logged in.

Point accepted, however, we rely upon both our system and that of Facebook, on occasion there are compatability issues which is what can be the cause of users who are logged into Facebook seeing the sliver. Neither our code and cookies or theirs appear to be the specific cause - we will look into it further..

Quoting N243NW (Reply 23):

Please provide screengrabs of your antvirus reports to me via an email to [email protected] I can confirm it is not malware, nor a threat to your computer that will stay.

I don't think anyone is asking for it to be removed completely

Nor should it be, which was why I clearly stated it was here to stay. With the site being a part of a network of sites owned by one company, they're making a social media push and we received something that is highly beneficial for the entire community.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 25):
Nor should it be, which was why I clearly stated it was here to stay. With the site being a part of a network of sites owned by one company, they're making a social media push and we received something that is highly beneficial for the entire community.

Paul, I understand it's necessary. But does it really benefit the site as a whole and the community? Or is does it benefit DM?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 26):
But does it really benefit the site as a whole and the community? Or is does it benefit DM?

Hi Silver1SWA

It benefits all you mention. DM did this with the best interests of the site and community in mind. We now have more members and greater recognition as there are people from social media who never knew the site existed, they like it and spread the word. Additionally, from the referrals overall views for the entire database are increasing at a far more acceptable rate. Naturally, that growth benefits DM too.

Regards

Paul

kanban

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 am

Paul
I accept the Facebook stuff is here to stay (well at least until the next craze comes along).. however maybe after 3-6 months could the banner be redesigned to be less intrusive? Maybe reduced to a box in the upper left corner?