Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moderators
Topic Author

Report The Bugs Here (Part 2)

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 am

This is a continuation thread of part 1, which can be found here: Report The Bugs Here (Part 1)

This thread is reserved for reporting any bugs you may encounter on the site.

Please rest assured that the site programmers are paying attention to these threads and value your input in reporting any anomalies, you come across, whilst navigating the site.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

The Moderators

LAXintl

RE: Report The Bugs Here (Part 2)

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Forum being down outside the regular top of the hour issue is back. I noted it was down again between 14:12 and 14:19 Pacific Time today.

AMSSFO

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 pm

I have an annoying issue with the search function of the civil aviation forum. When searching for Fokker, MD11, A330 or APU I only get results until January 12th 2011. Nothing more recent appears while I am sure these terms has been mentioned after that date.
The search function works fine for AF447, KLM, Ottawa, BA. To me it seems that these latter terms are all mentioned in thread titles while the former terms are not.

I checked the part 1 thread and noticed a persistent problem similar to mine existed before for any terms but apparently was resolved.
Are there more users having this problem?

ShyFlyer

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 2):
Are there more users having this problem?

I'm not getting any results after January 2011 either. Using any terms.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 2):
Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 3):

Thank you, this has been resolved in the past a couple of times, I have forwarded to DM for it to be resolved again. I understand the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

Regards

Paul.

Rara

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:03 am

In Chrome, there is still a different typeface in the forum message replies. It's fine (i.e. the same typeface as in Firefox and IE) in the first post and in the quoted text, but it's wrong in the replies (e.g. this text, when looked at in Chrome, is in the wrong typeface). It's not super noticeable, but once you know it, it starts bothering you. I detected it on different machines and on all current versions of Chrome, but I've not tested an earlier Windows version than XP. Thanks for looking into this.

Rara

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
this text is fine (albeit in italics)

This text is wrong.

[Edited 2011-09-09 04:07:19]

SA7700

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:24 pm

When browsing with Safari in the civil aviation forum, my status shows as “login” with banner advertisements, etc. When I click on “login”, I get the message that I’m already logged in. Jumping between all other forums shows that I’m logged in, with no banner advertisements showing.

I don’t have this problem with Windows Explorer, only with Safari. I have cleaned the cache and removed temporary Internet files, rebooted, etc. and still have this problem. Is there a solution for this problem?

Thank you

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
Quoting Rara (Reply 6):

Acknowledged Rara and it will be looked into, thank you for posting this.

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 7):

Will look and get back to you directly thanks!

Regards

Paul

SA7700

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 8):
Will look and get back to you directly thanks!

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it.

Rgds

Hercules

LAXintl

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 am

Seems like the forums were down for an extended period at least from 630pm-645pm Pacific on Tuesday evening.

Rest of site seemed to function OK.

Braniff747SP

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:33 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):
630pm-645pm Pacific on

Before that, the whole bloody site was down for about 45 minutes. Then it came back up, but n forms or pictures....

wilco737

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:42 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 11):

But now all is well again and we all can get our dose of a.net again 

wilco737

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):
Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 11):
Quoting wilco737 (Reply 12):

Hi All,

The site was down for a period of time, several hours, due a some network issues experienced. Access to the database was limited which prevented you from viewing photos and the forums. As you can see they are again available.

Our developers are still working on this and we're running tests to ensure that all is again ok, there are some bugs to be still resolved which is impacting the screening process. We know the problem and will update when resolved.

We understand that this caused quite some inconvenience and thanks for your patience and understanding. As the site was down we could not notify you, in such instances we post on the social media pages with progess updates so that people are aware. Should you see this again please email [email protected] for an update if you cannot access the forum.

Thank you

Paul

unattendedbag

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:06 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 13):
As the site was down we could not notify you, in such instances we post on the social media pages with progess updates so that people are aware.

Is that going to be standard policy from now on? Are we to get notifications of down time and progress reports from third party social websites?

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:37 am

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 14):

No it is not "policy". As soon as I was informed as to why the site was down and with the forums down so I could not post on site to inform the community, I improvised and posted via social media as many members follow us there.

Word did spread and it proved to be quite successful - better to inform the community via the only medium available when we can't convery it via the site - than to not tell anyone at all.

Thanks and regards

Paul

F27

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:36 am

The front page photos added daily has not worked properly for months when will this be fixed

LAXintl

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi Paul,

Don't take any personal offense, however I do wonder about the continual stream of issues on the site that seemingly are not getting resolved. I've never in my life heard of a site that goes down virtually every hour on the hour, but this seems to be ongoing now for many months. Whats taking so long to resolve?
Additionally members continually bring up repeat instances of issues that were supposedly resolved but appear crop up again.

While I appreciate comments such as "we are working the issues", it seems to me that the user experience on the website has taken a decline as rather significant issues such as the most basic inability to access the pages continue to linger month after month.

I understand you are the liaison between the community and DM, but what else can we do as users to express our displeasure, and possibly more forcefully demand a properly working platform for which many (most?) people pay good money to access?

I'd appreciate if you could share your comments, and let us know what further steps we can take. Additionally I would not mind hearing about more detailed background on why some of these critical issue have not been resolved.

Respectfully thank you.

Cadet985

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Please forgive me if I come across as annoyed. I have been trying to e-mail the mods with various issues for a couple days now, and the e-mails keep getting bounced back to me saying that [email protected] does not exist...despite the fact that I copied the address from an e-mail they sent me. What do I need to do to contact a mod - break the rules?

Secondly. I recently upgraded to IE9. Especially in Non-av, where I do most of my posting, there is a major lag in the forum. It scrolls VERY slowly, and the text is about 4-6 words behind where I am typing. I do not have this issue with any other website (or forum on here). Is this a known issue?

Marc

notaxonrotax

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:33 pm

When browsing with Safari in the civil aviation forum, my status shows as “login” with banner advertisements, etc. When I click on “login”, I get the message that I’m already logged in. Jumping between all other forums shows that I’m logged in, with no banner advertisements showing.

I don’t have this problem with Windows Explorer, only with Safari. I have cleaned the cache and removed temporary Internet files, rebooted, etc. and still have this problem. Is there a solution for this problem?

That is a looooooong outstanding problem………….I wonder if it will ever be fixed!!????

No Tax On Rotax

g38

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I have a similar problem with FireFox. The first time I experienced this was this morning, but I had this happen again today.

I says my status is "logged in", but the photos still have water makes on them. If I log out and then log back in, the water mark will go away on whatever photo I was viewing, but not on anything else.

poz2brs

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:22 pm

The Photographer's Choice thumbnails on the front page are all showing as 'Default Image'.

g38

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I know I posted here earlier, but I've been experiencing one more thing lately. Of late, some of the pictures will display a "Default Image" icon. Also, others, when I click on them, thought the thumbnail might look alright, the large version will be the "Default Image" or as I said earlier display a watermark. I am running the latest version of Firefox on a Mac (OS10 Lion). I will try to include a screenshot of the problem below.

poz2brs

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting g38 (Reply 22):
I know I posted here earlier, but I've been experiencing one more thing lately. Of late, some of the pictures will display a "Default Image" icon. Also, others, when I click on them, thought the thumbnail might look alright, the large version will be the "Default Image" or as I said earlier display a watermark. I am running the latest version of Firefox on a Mac (OS10 Lion). I will try to include a screenshot of the problem below.

That's exactly what I was referring to but didn't have time to upload a screenshot. Thanks for that  

CrimsonNL

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Quoting g38 (Reply 22):

Same here, both photographer's choice and classic airliners do not work. FF 6 on WinXP.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 17):
Don't take any personal offense

None taken at all and your message is acknowledged, I ask you afford me the time to respond in detail shortly as there are still some issues from the site down to deal with. Thank you.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 18):

The moderators email address required some work, it was third parrty, not yet completed,. Send an email to [email protected],net and ask them to forward. A moderator will be in touch with you.

Quoting poz2brs (Reply 21):
Quoting g38 (Reply 22):
Quoting poz2brs (Reply 23):
Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 24):

Hi All, we are aware of this and working on it. It is a result of the DB issue earlier this week. Screening was affected too and we've resolved that, just need to pin this down.

Thanks and regards

Paul

mariner

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 18):
Please forgive me if I come across as annoyed. I have been trying to e-mail the mods with various issues for a couple days now, and the e-mails keep getting bounced back to me saying that [email protected] does not exist...despite the fact that I copied the address from an e-mail they sent me. What do I need to do to contact a mod - break the rules?

I had a similar issue this morning when I hit "reply" to an email from the Mods advising me of a deletion. It was bounced back to me as undeliverable.

mariner

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:36 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 26):
I had a similar issue this morning when I hit "reply" to an email from the Mods advising me of a deletion. It was bounced back to me as undeliverable.

Thanks Mariner, as noted in response to Cadet985, we know of the issue and in the meantime please send an email to [email protected] for them to forward. It is a third party issue and we hope to have it resolved during the next week.

I understand it does not make it easy for you and that you expect an immediate fix, however, we're experiencing some significant DB issues which are currently taking priority.

Regards

Paul.

mariner

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 27):
I understand it does not make it easy for you and that you expect an immediate fix, however, we're experiencing some significant DB issues which are currently taking priority.

Thanks, Paul.

Just for the record I don't expect an immediate fix at all, I have very few occasions to contact the Mods.

I was just confirming that it happened to me and I missed - or didn't completely understand - the reply to Cadet985.

I'm older, I'm not technically minded, not entirely computer literate, and, as with the nine hour shutdown, I always assume it is my system (or me) at fault, not yours. You don't want to know how many times I cleared cache or restarted my computer during that shutdown, thinking it was me.

mariner

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:58 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 28):

Hi Mariner.

I understand you seldom contact the moderators though you should be able to and receive a response in a timely manner. That is what I would like to see and I'll ensure it is fixed so you don't encounter it again.

As for the site down, most definately not you! After your experience I have set a filter for your registered email to go directly to me should this occur again, that way I can inform you. With the DB down, it was not possible to post an update for you to know.

DM continue to work on fixes and there are some where you may see the watermark on a photo even though you're first class, also some browsers were not displaying the images and others were. Also the PC module on the homepage requires more work.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks and regards

Paul

comairguycvg

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:23 am

For the past couple of days, I have noticed when I click on some of the images to view the large size, I will get the Airliners.net Default image, and I also see the watermark, even though I am logged in. This is happening with Firefox and Explorer. And I also see the default image on the home page under the Photographers Choice section.

Flying Belgian

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I renewed my First Class membership this morning and still get the watermark.

Thanks for any feedback.

hanbar

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Hello moderators,

I am meeting some trouble the last days of which some of them seem to be also annoying to some other fellow A'netters.

1. I more then once get a default image when I want to open a large photo or a fit-screen;
2. I have several default images on the home page;
3. I see watermarks when I'm logged in;
4. in the visitor's comment I am allways introduced as a visitor from.... It would be nice if I get a home!

Thanks in advance for solving,
greetings, Hans

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:52 am

Quoting comairguycvg (Reply 30):
Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 31):
Quoting hanbar (Reply 32):

Hi All,

We have been experiencing database issues and are aware of the watermark appearing when you should not be seeing it. The Photographers' Choice module should be fully fixed and the 'default image' display now appears more browser specific and is affecting those with IE and FF. Our developers will continue to work on resolving these for you.

Thanks and regards

Paul.

Marshfieldjeff

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 am

Hello moderators,

I'm also getting the default image or the watermark when I open up some photos. I know the your 'techies' are working to fix this problem which I fully understand. But have you got any idea when this will be complete as this has been going on for a few days now.

Many thanks,

Jeff

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting Marshfieldjeff (Reply 34):

Hello Jeff,

As soon as we hear from the 'techies' we'll post an update. We understand the issue has been around for a few days, unfortunately there were some other issues which took more time to fix than anticipated. It should not be too long now.

Regards

Paul

jmattner

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 am

Hello moderators,

since one or two weeks I have the problem, that most pictures I load from a.net contain the watermark or the famous "default image" is displayed. I have a valid subscription as a first class member.
Thanx in advance.

Best regards,

Jens

Alibo5NGN

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 am

One of my photos is in the top five today yet I have been unable to view the image since it was uploaded. All I see is default images. This has been going on now for about a week. All I can see is the thumb nail photo.

adelgary

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:57 pm

yea! ..i'm having the watermarks problem too! =/

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi All,

To update;

- The Photographers' Choice module on the homepage should display correctly
- The default image should no longer display, however, a small amount of images may still have the problem. Specifically some added over the past week.
- First Class members should be able to view photos without the watermark, again, some added over the past week may still display it. We continue to look into this and the residual 'deafault image' issues.
- Acceptance and rejection emails are being sent again
- All crew email accounts should receive your mails again.

Quoting Alibo5NGN (Reply 37):

May I ask the photo ID# and the browser you are using so we can look into this? I beleive we know how to fix this for you.

Thanks and regards

Paul

standby87

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:36 am

Search Engine gives incomplete results since months:

Example:

Search Forum = Civil Aviation Forum (current data)
Key words = Amadeus
Match = All Words

Results = blank or 31 December 1969, and nothing more recent than 12 January 2011 - which is clearly not correct.

Any work-around or parameter I can change?
Thanks in advance.

adelgary

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Thank u so much!   

jetjack74

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 am

I also seem to be having this problem. And when I was trying to start a thread in the civ-av board, it told me my username and password were incorrect, so I entered it again and it said the same thing and it just went around and around in a circle. I thought maybe my subscription is up, but it's not.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I have noticed a new problem today. When I try to reply to Forum threads that include airport codes, when I click the "Preview the post" button, the codes are translated into the airport/city name etc. with all the related coding and the reply is impossible to read. The coding also appears in the quoted text of previous replies using the "Quote selected text" button.

This wasn't a problem yesterday. Same problem affects both Firefox 6 and IE8.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting standby87 (Reply 40):

Can you please provide what you were searching for so we can take a look?

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 43):

Ok, please let me know if you see a change, I'll do some testing on this.

Regards

Paul

Viscount724

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:43 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 44):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 43):

Ok, please let me know if you see a change, I'll do some testing on this.

I haven't noticed the problem so far today and I included codes in a few replies, but I found the thread that prompted my bug report yesterday. Go to Reply 5 in the following thread and you will see exactly what I was referring to. The reply quoted in that reply is the same one that prompted my report. Maybe there's a glitch in that thread (or in that reply) in isolation? Note the problem doesn't seem to affect any other replies in that thread although they also use codes.
JetBlue New Service HPN-NAS (by FLYjoe Sep 22 2011 in Civil Aviation)

wilco737

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Only a minor thing which isn't really a bug, just something which came to my attention the other day.

When I am reading in a forum and want to add it to my starred topics, I have to click twice on the star to actually add it to my starred topics.
Not in the forum overview, only in the thread itself. Always a double click is needed.

wilco737

LAXintl

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Getting "our forums are down" error at 1538 Pacific / 2238UTC.

Still love to hear a response as to why connection to the forum fails on an hourly basis.

standby87

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:40 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 44):
Can you please provide what you were searching for so we can take a look?

Just looking for the word "Amadeus" or "amadeus"

I see no difference

Search Forum = Civil Aviation Forum (current data)
Key words = Amadeus
Match = All Words

Results = blank or 31 December 1969, and nothing more recent than 12 January 2011 - which is clearly not correct.

I'm using Firefox at home and work and get the same results.

tcasalert

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Cannot search for anything. Nothing returns any results.