xjramper
Topic Author

Pop Up Ad When You First Arrive At A.net

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 am

FC members shouldn't have this issue, but for those of us who are premium members, does anyone else get a pop up ad when you first arrive at a.net and click your first link from the homepage?

This happens every single time to me and even though I have popup blocker, somehow the ads always seem to circumvent the blocker i have installed. Kind of frustrating, considering I have no problem with the ads once I'm on the forum.

For a while there it was a nexflix ad. I can't remember what it was about an hour ago when I hopped on the forum.

Please fix this!
Look ma' no hands!

Braniff747SP

RE: Pop Up Ad When You First Arrive At A.net

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:04 am

Quoting xjramper (Thread starter):

FC members shouldn't have this issue, but for those of us who are premium members, does anyone else get a pop up ad when you first arrive at a.net and click your first link from the homepage?

This happens every single time to me and even though I have popup blocker, somehow the ads always seem to circumvent the blocker i have installed. Kind of frustrating, considering I have no problem with the ads once I'm on the forum.

I've got AdBlock, and I never get anything... however, when I use other machines without AdBlock I don't get any pop-ups.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

wilco737

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:00 am

Quoting xjramper (Thread starter):

That shouldn't happen for First Class members.

Please contact our support team who should assist you with it: [email protected]

Just make sure it really comes from A.net and not some other website you have opened in another tab of your browser.

Thanks.

wilco737

BEG2IAH

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:56 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):

I have the same problem, plus no way to stay logged in. Maybe it's somehow connected. I will try to use the same email.

Thanks.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

xjramper
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):

Please contact our support team who should assist you with it: [email protected]

Just make sure it really comes from A.net and not some other website you have opened in another tab of your browser.

Thanks Phil. It only happens when first click on any internal link, whether it be a picture, a forum link, any of the tabs at the top, etc. Once I go back to the homepage and click a link back into the forums, pictures, etc it doesn't happen again, nor does this happen on any other website.

Email sent.
Look ma' no hands!

wilco737

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 4):
hanks Phil. It only happens when first click on any internal link, whether it be a picture, a forum link, any of the tabs at the top, etc. Once I go back to the homepage and click a link back into the forums, pictures, etc it doesn't happen again, nor does this happen on any other website.
Quoting xjramper (Reply 4):
Email sent.

I have never heard the before. Strange.

Hope support can help you.

wilco737

F9Animal

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 am

I am using a smart phone to access the site from work. I am now getting a popup of Discover card every time I access a forum on this site. And it is one of those stupid videos that you cant x out of until 5 seconds of the video playing. It is very annoying, and just started doing it today! Any suggestions for smart phone users?
I Am A Different Animal!!

IMissPiedmont

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:27 am

I am also getting the Discover ad every time I click on something. It is exceptionally annoying.

And it cannot be closed until you each I for a while. If I didn't have a Discover card already this would make me not do business with them. I think it's time we made it known that these ads do not make us want a product, they piss us off.

[Edited 2013-01-02 17:30:31]
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

roseflyer

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 am

The discover ad that covers the entire screen is so annoying it is almost not worth looking at a.net since other sites don't do the same thing.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

F9Animal

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 am

Okay, I thought it was just a smart phone issue. Yes, the ad is sooooo frustrating! Hopefully it can be resolved for us. I too love this site, but these ads are making the site not as fun to visit.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 5):
I have never heard the before. Strange.

I too get this very annoying pop-up. Both on desktop and mobile. It's been happening for months and it's becoming an irritating issue.

Hopefully A.Net will find a fix to this soon.

Aeroflot777

Sandgroper

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 am

Same problem here, this really cheapens the site and it has been going on for months.
Sandgroper

Viscount724

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Quoting Sandgroper (Reply 11):
Same problem here, this really cheapens the site and it has been going on for months.

I've been getting an annoying spam-type "pop-under" ad when I first open the site for the past month or more. It's the "You're the one millionth visitor. Click here for your prize." etc. that's been around for years and doesn't identify the name of the advertiser. As you say, that type of ad really cheapens the site. You never get such ads on reputable sites.

Also suggest that ads shouldn't be accepted unless the identity of the advertiser is shown.

When you right-click on the ad to get the URL and go to that ad site, it even says that it uses pop-under ads since they're harder for pop-up blockers to block.

wilco737

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 10):
I too get this very annoying pop-up. Both on desktop and mobile. It's been happening for months and it's becoming an irritating issue.
Quoting Sandgroper (Reply 11):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
I've been getting an annoying spam-type "pop-under" ad when I first open the site for the past month or more. It's the "You're the one millionth visitor. Click here for your prize." etc. that's been around for years and doesn't identify the name of the advertiser. As you say, that type of ad really cheapens the site. You never get such ads on reputable sites.

As I said above: contact support for assistance: [email protected]

See An Inappropriate Advertisement? (by Moderators Feb 25 2010 in Site Related)

Thanks.

wilco737

stasisLAX

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:31 am

Okay, I am suddenly getting this ad the second that I log into this site and it takes up the entire screen, just like the damned Discover Card ad did. Here's the offending advertiser....

see: http://cdn.optmd.com/V2/76727/280846...ml?g=Af////8=&r=www.airliners.net/
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 am

Hi All,

I've put in a request that no pop ups appear when the log in feature is used so that First Class members can avoid seeing the advertisement. Additionally I've passed on your feedback about all these advertisements to Demand Media.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

FlyboyOz

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:03 am

I have problem with pop-up too... After I clicked the title (from a.net discussion forum), there was no pop-up ad (only open in another window) in the front web brower but it's still behind it.

Let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

sjc4me

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 am

I get an ad whenever I click a picture or link from the main page. I've also had this happen to me on a couple other sites. I'm using Google Chrome, so I'm not sure if it's browser related. Maybe spammers/ad guys are getting better at their jobs.   
Unable.

nickh

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm sorry, but this really getting annoying:

The Pop-Under window from cdn.optmd.com.... still appears with the "Netflix" ad, when click to log on to the A.Net site.

The only way to not allow this to happen to run Firefox (Linux) with AdBlock and JavaScript disabled.

Unfortunately, I have to use my Windows 7 machine a lot, with IE9, and even though I have AdBlockPro x64 for IE running, with optmd.com blacklisted, the pop-under windows still comes up.

Will someome please fix this so that the pop-up/under window shows up only AFTER the user has logged in, depending on wether they are a First Class member or not.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

BEG2IAH

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am

Quoting nickh (Reply 18):
Will someome please fix this so that the pop-up/under window shows up only AFTER the user has logged in, depending on wether they are a First Class member or not.

I sent emails to support, included screen shots, and month and a half later, the same problem. I'm glad I paid another $55 to have no ads popping up.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

Uluru

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

These pop-ups make the mobile experience almost unusable. I thought in 2013 we made it past the whole pop-up advertising schemes...

Quokkas

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Quoting BEG2IAH (Reply 19):
I'm glad I paid another $55 to have no ads popping up.

That is exactly why they appear. You want to enjoy what you joined up to enjoy in the first place, pay extra. It's the same nickel and diming that gets complained about in the forums. You want an oxygen mask pay extra. You want a seat into which you actually fit, pay extra. You want to read posts in the forum without distraction or the bloat that slows download speeds, pay extra. It's the free market economy and nothing is free, even if you pay for it.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

BEG2IAH

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 21):
That is exactly why they appear. You want to enjoy what you joined up to enjoy in the first place, pay extra. It's the same nickel and diming that gets complained about in the forums. You want an oxygen mask pay extra. You want a seat into which you actually fit, pay extra. You want to read posts in the forum without distraction or the bloat that slows download speeds, pay extra. It's the free market economy and nothing is free, even if you pay for it.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. I paid First Class membership fee so I don't have these pop-ups, but they still show up. If I didn't pay I wouldn't say a word, but I paid because one of the benefits is no pop-ups. If this continues I will have to ask for a refund.  

Sandgroper

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 am

Now when you close the popup it takes you back to the first post when you have already scrolled down and opened the next set of posts, very annoying.
Sandgroper

md11sdf

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 am

The problem I am having is very different. When I first try to use the photo search engine, the screen goes white and a small box pops in the middle saying "Microsoft Anti-Virus has detected "some sort" of processes from this webpage".

It completely disables my ability to close / refresh the page and I have to log off completely from my computer.
After I log back on and go back to A-net, everything is fine.

I have McAfee anti-virus, NOT Microsoft. If this if some kind of ad to make me WANT their Anti-Virus.....
It's NOT working. It just makes me very angry!!

Terry in DerbyCity USA.
LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY: Where your camera looks just like a stinger missile to the Airport Police!!

photoshooter

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting md11sdf (Reply 24):

Hi Terry,

Sadly, we are aware of this annoying problem. Please do not click on these ads or download anything. Please know that this problem has our full attention and we will look into this matter. Meanwhile I can only suggest to try a different browser and do a ''full system scan'' just to check your device is safe.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience!

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Customer Service - Support
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

aaflt1871

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Quoting md11sdf (Reply 24):
The problem I am having is very different. When I first try to use the photo search engine, the screen goes white and a small box pops in the middle saying "Microsoft Anti-Virus has detected "some sort" of processes from this webpage".

It completely disables my ability to close / refresh the page and I have to log off completely from my computer.
After I log back on and go back to A-net, everything is fine.

I have McAfee anti-virus, NOT Microsoft. If this if some kind of ad to make me WANT their Anti-Virus.....
It's NOT working. It just makes me very angry!!

That is the same one I keep getting. Half the reason I do not even come on here too often anymore is the stupid pop ups
Where did everybody go?

jetmech

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:32 am

I get it too.

It's always either QuiBids or some popup telling me I'm the millionth visitor to A'net or some website. Also, when I click on photos, and periodically whilst I surf around A'net, I get an additional tab that automatically tries to open to the following address;

http://cm.g.doubleclick.net/push?client=ca-pub-4279434189571393

however, I always get notification within this tab that navigation to this website – whatever it is – has been cancelled.

Regards, JetMech

[Edited 2013-04-22 19:38:02]
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

photoshooter

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 am

Quoting aaflt1871 (Reply 26):
Quoting jetmech (Reply 27):

Hi,

As mentioned in my previous post, we are aware of this problem (annoying ads) and investigating as we speak. In the meanwhile I can only suggest to run a full system scan with your anti-virus to make sure your device is safe.

Screenshots are more than welcome, please send them to [email protected]

Our sincere apologies and thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Customer Service - Support
Airliners.net
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill