Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

photoshooter
Topic Author

Chat Room Currently Not Available With Chrome

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi all,

Just a heads up for all who are using Google Chrome and the live chat room.

The chat room is currently not available for users who use Google Chrome. Other browsers such as IE, FF,Safari,... can be used properly. If you do encounter problems with other browsers, please let us know in here or on [email protected]!

Our apologies for the inconvenience and best regards,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

seven3seven

RE: Chat Room Currently Not Available With Chrome

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 pm

It hasnt worked for me for two days with Firefox. It loads and then goes blank white. I've tried repeatedly
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

Braniff747SP

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 pm

I reported this a week ago or so and was told it wasn't happening with anyone else. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

photoshooter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 1):
It hasnt worked for me for two days with Firefox. It loads and then goes blank white. I've tried repeatedly

Hi, any luck with Chrome or are both not working?

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 2):
I reported this a week ago or so and was told it wasn't happening with anyone else. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Could you please tell me which browser you used? Thanks!

We are currently working on it, stay tuned and feel free to post any updates in here!

Regards,

Niek B.
Head Chat Operator
Airliners.net Crew
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

Piedmont727

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:13 am

it may have been a 1 or 2 time thing but i believe if i remember correctly mac's safari browser dosent work either

LFutia

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm

I had issues with Chrome 2 weeks ago. Sometimes it would load and sometimes it wouldn't. Very hit or miss. I'm still on chrome and working fine for me as of now.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

seven3seven

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:14 pm

still no good on firefox. never had issues before. Works with IE
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

photoshooter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Quoting piedmont727 (Reply 4):
it may have been a 1 or 2 time thing but i believe if i remember correctly mac's safari browser dosent work either

Yes, we are aware that it fails to work with Safari as well. Some might be able to access and some don't. I suggest to use a different browser till we have fixed this.

Quoting LFutia (Reply 5):
I'm still on chrome and working fine for me as of now.

Could you please refresh and see if it still works? Thanks!

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 6):
still no good on firefox. never had issues before. Works with IE

That's odd, this is the first report regarding Firefox not working, I'm only aware of Safari/Chrome failing to let you in the chat room. We will look into this.

The chat server has been reset but that didn't solve the problem with the browser(s). Feel free to post any developments. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew

seven3seven

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 am

still doesnt work on FF. Blank white. Restarted computer. Computer updated. What changed? Never had a problem before for years

mmedford

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 am

I think it has something to do with the recent Flash player update. After my computer was updated, when I load chat via IE9...the screen goes black, once flash is started.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

seven3seven

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 am

Damn Mark, you beat me to it. I just researched Flash and realized that was it. I had updated to the most recent version of Flash recently. Since then A.net chat will not work with Firefox.

I restored my computer to a point before the most recent Flash update and a.net chat now works again.

LFutia

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I also updated my flash but I don't want to refresh until I need to restart my computer.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

liftsifter

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Time to ditch the flash chat, I suppose?

No reason not to go with an IRC service.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

mmedford

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 am

HTML5 ?

fill

fill

mmedford

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 am

Okay I came up with a fix for people to use; This is only for Windows 7 (afaik i'm on x64 ultimate and I use IE9)

Go to this site;

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...rchived-flash-player-versions.html

Download this package;

•(Released 01/08/2013) Flash Player 11.5.502.146 (146.38 MB)

NOTE THE RELEASE DATE AND VERSION

Save the package to your desktop; once the download is complete...extract the package.

In the "11_5_r502_146" folder.

Run the files in the following order;

1). uninstall_flashplayer11_5r502_146_win.exe
2). flashplayer11_5r502_146_winax.msi
3). flashplayer11_5r502_146_winax.exe

It has worked for me; good luck.

[Edited 2013-02-18 19:50:30]

jetblueguy22

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 pm

I just updated my Flash and now it won't work on firefox either. This is on a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.8.2. I am running the latest Firefox as well.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Braniff747SP

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 3):
Could you please tell me which browser you used? Thanks!

Chrome, on OS X 10.8.2.

I'm yet to try it on my Windows 7 Ultimate partition, but it sounds like it will be the same story.

photoshooter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

Hi all,

UPDATE: The chat room is having problems due to the new update of Adobe Flash. This is affecting several browsers.
Postponing the update on your computer might solve the problem though for some it doesn't.

The chat room will need to be adjusted to the update of Adobe Flash and this could take a while. Please know that our developer team has scheduled a fix/update.

Please check your own computer to know which browser works best. I see some good suggestions posted in this thread, you can try those as well!

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience!

Regards,

Niek B.
Head Chat Operator
Airliners.net Crew

Beechbaron58

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 am

Hey Niek can't get into chat with IE8 at the moment, how do I allow pop-ups as I think that's why it goes black when it loads.

regards, Beech.

CXB77L

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 am

Beechbaron58

As Niek mentioned above, the problems are due to the Adobe Flash Player 11.6x update more so than the browser. I'm using IE9 but I have also been unable to log into chat. I don't think it's a pop-up blocker issue. I have my pop-up blocker set to allow pop-ups from this site, so that chat can open in a new window.

Nevertheless, your pop-up blocker settings on IE8 should be available under the 'Tools' menu.

As Niek also mentioned, the developers are aware of this issue. We have no estimated time for a fix yet, unfortunately.
Boeing 777 fanboy

Akiestar

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I can't open chat either on Safari or Firefox on my Mac's Mac partition. Haven't tried it yet on my Windows partition, but I might do that already later. Is the Flash update only for Windows, or is it also for other operating systems?

LFutia

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:29 am

Seems like chat is having issues of losing the server connection as people keep getting booted and reconnected. What is going on with the servers tonight?

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

photoshooter
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 20):
Is the Flash update only for Windows, or is it also for other operating systems?

The update is for ALL platforms so not only Windows.

Quoting LFutia (Reply 21):
Seems like chat is having issues of losing the server connection as people keep getting booted and reconnected.
These members who log in and log off frequently try to enter the chat and get to see a white screen instead of the chat room.

It's just a matter if you updated your Adobe flash (automatically) or not.
I recommend to try out Mmedford's idea which got shared earlier in this thread:

Go to this site;

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...rchived-flash-player-versions.html

Download this package;

•(Released 01/08/2013) Flash Player 11.5.502.146 (146.38 MB)

NOTE THE RELEASE DATE AND VERSION

Save the package to your desktop; once the download is complete...extract the package.

In the "11_5_r502_146" folder.

Run the files in the following order;

1). uninstall_flashplayer11_5r502_146_win.exe
2). flashplayer11_5r502_146_winax.msi
3). flashplayer11_5r502_146_winax.exe

It has worked for me; good luck.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and we ask a bit more of your patience. If you have questions, please feel free to ask them in here or send us an email to [email protected]

Best regards,

Niek B.
Head Chat Operator
Airliners.net crew

xjramper

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:28 am

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 22):
Niek B.
Head Chat Operator
Airliners.net crew

They need to update your handle to reflect that.

On topic: I have tried multiple ways of manipulating my Adobe program, outside the parameters listed above by mmedford and still no luck with FF, Chrome, and IE.

At this point, if there is no clear and obvious fix, we need to switch back to the old IRC until either the problem gets fixed or we drop the flash version of chat as stated above.
Look ma' no hands!

CXB77L

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 19):
Beechbaron58

As Niek mentioned above, the problems are due to the Adobe Flash Player 11.6x update more so than the browser. I'm using IE9 but I have also been unable to log into chat. I don't think it's a pop-up blocker issue. I have my pop-up blocker set to allow pop-ups from this site, so that chat can open in a new window.

Nevertheless, your pop-up blocker settings on IE8 should be available under the 'Tools' menu.

As Niek also mentioned, the developers are aware of this issue. We have no estimated time for a fix yet, unfortunately.
Beechbaron58, further to the above, please follow the procedure listed by mmedford in Reply 14 and "downgrade" your Adobe Flash Player to the older 11.5 version. You should then be able to access chat.

Quoting xjramper (Reply 23):
On topic: I have tried multiple ways of manipulating my Adobe program, outside the parameters listed above by mmedford and still no luck with FF, Chrome, and IE.

When you say "outside the parameters listed above", what do you mean?

I have downgraded my Adobe Flash Player to 11.5 using the procedure that mmedford kindly posted above, and chat seems to be working for me (I'm using IE9), with no obvious effects on any other sites or programs which uses Flash.

At the moment, we are unable to provide a definite date for a fix. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes. As Niek mentioned above, the developers have been notified and they have scheduled a fix for this issue.

Thank you all for your patience while this is being sorted.
Boeing 777 fanboy

seven3seven

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:22 am

Its an absolute shame the website hasn't devoted more time and energy into fixing this quicker. And its always been a shame they dont promote the chat room more. For those of us who use it it has become a welcome place to meet and make new friends.

Now Im afriad the chat room will just wither and die

Akiestar

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 24):
Beechbaron58, further to the above, please follow the procedure listed by mmedford in Reply 14 and "downgrade" your Adobe Flash Player to the older 11.5 version. You should then be able to access chat.

Sam, it works if you're on Windows. I use a Mac (and I'm not using my Windows partition for a while), and it's not easy to remove Adobe Flash from my system without peeking into my system folder. Mark's solution will not work even if I want it to work. (Unlike for Windows, there's no uninstaller for Flash on Mac OS.)

It's really the non-Windows users who suffer from this. And that's sad.  

LFutia

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 25):
Its an absolute shame the website hasn't devoted more time and energy into fixing this quicker. And its always been a shame they dont promote the chat room more. For those of us who use it it has become a welcome place to meet and make new friends.

Now Im afriad the chat room will just wither and die

Oh absolutely. I've made tonnes of friends from chat and looking forward to making new ones. This fix needs to happen so I can update my flash. One should also think that they'd be doing more and giving us more regular updates about this issue.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

photoshooter
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 25):
Quoting LFutia (Reply 27):

We have regularly posted an update in here. If there are no updates, then there's nothing to post. We regret the delay of the fix however our developer team are aware and will try to fix this problem as fast as possible. Please know that this is a difficult matter and it takes time to fix this. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a definite date for the fix.

I have noticed that many members can not access the chat and try again later or stay away. The crew regrets this fact however this is not the first time our chat room is having technical difficulties. After every re-opening, members found the time/patience to come back. Therefore I am sure that members will return after this has been dealt with.

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew

JETnyc

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Per NIEK: ↓

Adobe can't fix this.
they launched an update... The new update does not work with our chat server.
therefore we need to update/adjust our server to the new update.

photoshooter
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Quoting JETnyc (Reply 29):

Thanks, our developer team have scheduled a fix (as mentioned above already).

Take care,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew

JETnyc

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 am

What's goin here, any word to any chnges with the chat???

777222LR

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Chat hasn't worked for me for like the past two weeks on my mac with Safari OR Firefox.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting JETnyc (Reply 31):
Quoting 777222LR (Reply 32):

Hi All, as noted by Niek a fix has been scheduled and hopefully you shall not have to wait too much longer, thanks for your patience.

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Akiestar

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 33):
Hi All, as noted by Niek a fix has been scheduled and hopefully you shall not have to wait too much longer, thanks for your patience.

The fix is scheduled for when?

ATCtower

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 am

With hopes of this post not being deleted, do we have an ETA on when the chat room may be operable again or is it still on the back burner since it doesnt produce revenue?
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

photoshooter
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 am

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 34):
Quoting ATCtower (Reply 35):

Hi,

As mentioned already in this thread, we can not provide a definite date for the fix. This is not an easy thing to fix and it will require some time as well. As told by Paul and me already, you shall not have to wait too much longer and visit the chat like before without a problem. Meanwhile you can always try to downgrade your Adobe and see if that works.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew

Akiestar

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 36):
Meanwhile you can always try to downgrade your Adobe and see if that works.

As I have previously mentioned in this thread, I use a Mac, and I cannot downgrade my Flash plug-ins without tinkering into my system folders, which I do not want to do out of fear of damaging my system.

In the meantime, while we all wait for the chatroom to go back online, I think it would be prudent if we can find a temporary solution so that people who want a chatroom will have a chatroom until the chatroom comes back online.

photoshooter
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 37):

Hi Josh, I noticed that you are using a Mac and therefore not being able to downgrade Adobe. Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest you to do. Thank you for the suggestion to create a temporary chat though I think this is rather unnecessary since the chat room will be fixed pretty soon. If this was a problem which would take months, I would agree.

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Head chat operator
Airliners.net Crew

mmedford

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 37):
As I have previously mentioned in this thread, I use a Mac, and I cannot downgrade my Flash plug-ins without tinkering into my system folders, which I do not want to do out of fear of damaging my system.

Lies...

Uninstaller located about halfway down; http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

and the Adobe archived versions are located here; http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...rchived-flash-player-versions.html

Pick one in 01/2013.

Easy to find if you put the work into it.

Siren

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 am

Funny. I use Chrome, and I have updated Flash - and the Chat Room works perfectly for me.

I'm on a Mac..

Braniff747SP

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 40):
I'm on a Mac..

Not working here. Are you on 10.8.3?

CGKings317

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 am

Hi all!

Just reporting that on both my mac at school and WindXP at home and all browser combinations, the chat does not fully load to the point where I can type and send messages. We are hopeful a solution to this problem will be forthcoming but it sounds like a fix that is not going to be easy.

~CGKings317
I love ✈ & volcanoes but the 2 of them dont get along, just ask KLM867 & PH-BFC

FlyMKG

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 am

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 17):
The chat room will need to be adjusted to the update of Adobe Flash and this could take a while. Please know that our developer team has scheduled a fix/update.
Quoting photoshooter (Reply 30):

Thanks, our developer team have scheduled a fix (as mentioned above already).
Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 33):

In contrast to the above three posts:

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 36):
As mentioned already in this thread, we can not provide a definite date for the fix.

I fail to see how 32 days after this problem was promised to be fixed it still has not been addressed. When is the fix scheduled to take place? (Based on the first three statements.) Not to step on toes or point fingers, but how has this not been taken care of already. One person could've worked on this issue for 256 hours had they been going at it everyday, Monday through Friday. Even at this unrealistic number I feel it should have been solved weeks ago. With all do respect, what is the hold up?

FlyMKG

Braniff747SP

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Quoting FlyMKG (Reply 43):
I fail to see how 32 days after this problem was promised to be fixed it still has not been addressed. When is the fix scheduled to take place? (Based on the first three statements.) Not to step on toes or point fingers, but how has this not been taken care of already. One person could've worked on this issue for 256 hours had they been going at it everyday, Monday through Friday. Even at this unrealistic number I feel it should have been solved weeks ago. With all do respect, what is the hold up?

There have been far worse problems which have taken far more time to get fixed...

I'm not expecting this to happen anytime soon.

Chese

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 am

Quoting FlyMKG (Reply 43):

My theory is they just want the chat to die. Hopefully I am wrong.
Note to airliners.net admins, I will not like you on Facebook.

JETnyc

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:57 am

This is SAD, whr's the IT team, no one haz said much of nothin since a month ago.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi All,

Just to repeat what Niek has said, it has been scheduled for a fix and the developers are looking into the matter this week. We do understand that it has taken a little time for this to be resolved and apologise for the inconvenience you've experienced. Hopefully it'll be back up and running very shortly.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

As expected, Chat works in my Windows 7 Bootcamp partition... Not on OSX, though.

oldman55

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 47):
little time for this to be resolved and apologise for the inconvenience you've experienced. Hopefully it'll be back up and running very shortly.

Little time=45+days
very shortly= Hopefully before 2014??
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart