Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ouboy79
Topic Author

"Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back..."

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Is anyone else getting after almost every post being made? Just refreshing the page brings the site right back up, with the post being there, so it obviously is just playing catchall for something.

Do they have this setup as just a basic error message (i.e. response took too long) or a notification the servers are being taxed too much at the given time?

Seems some wonky is going on and just wanted to see if anyone else was getting it and pass it on.

Utilizing Chrome as the browser. If you need anything else let me now.

photoshooter

RE: "Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back..."

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi there,

Thank you for your post, we are aware of this situation. Probably this is due to maintenance taking place in our forum(s) which causes some inconvenience for our members/visitors. If we have more info on this, we will share it as quickly as possible.

Thanks and regards,

Niek B.
Customer service - Support
Airliners.net
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

ouboy79
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 am

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 1):
Thank you for your post, we are aware of this situation. Probably this is due to maintenance taking place in our forum(s) which causes some inconvenience for our members/visitors. If we have more info on this, we will share it as quickly as possible.

That would make sense if it was at consistent times. However, it happens at very random times. I get the error message, hit back a couple times, refresh the thread, and my post is there. To me that doesn't sound like maintenance, but hitting load limits on the server and the mx message is just a catch all for any capacity errors. It would probably make more sense if they just update the message to relay something to the effect that there is unusually high traffic and to try the request again later. I would also say it would probably be to the benefit of the membership that mx windows be at designated times and just give us a heads up when its happen. Most tech companies can manage this so I would imagine DM can as well which as large as they are.

mariner

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 2):
That would make sense if it was at consistent times. However, it happens at very random times.

Not for me. It happens at almost exactly predictable times.

mariner
aeternum nauta

photoshooter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 2):
Quoting mariner (Reply 3):

We received many reports informing us that this is consistent. Also, Demand Media informed and confirmed us that this is due to maintenance.

Regards,

Niek B.
Customer Service - Support
Airliners.net
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

Gatorman96

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I have been having this issue as well the past few days and it is definitely random. I received this message while attempting to access the Civ Av forum last night between 8-9PM and today from 1PM-ongoing. Unless this is emergency maintenance, why would this be scheduled in the middle of the day when I would imagine the forum is most active? Thanks

[Edited 2013-04-30 11:24:04]

[Edited 2013-04-30 11:24:41]

scbriml

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 4):
We received many reports informing us that this is consistent. Also, Demand Media informed and confirmed us that this is due to maintenance.

Is the maintenance taking the best part of three days? The forums are nearly unusable for me.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Gatorman96

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):
Is the maintenance taking the best part of three days? The forums are nearly unusable for me.

Seems like there is more to it, DM just keeping it under wraps. DDoS attack perhaps...

DiamondFlyer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I get the issue as well, but only in Civil Aviation. The rest of the forums seem to be fine.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

RussianJet

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Haven't been able to get Civ Av for over an hour now....
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Viscount724

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):
Quoting photoshooter (Reply 4):

Suggest consider doing site maintenance at a time of the day when it would affect the fewest users. I'm guessing at least 75% of A.net users are in North America and Europe and it always seems to go down during the late evening hours in Europe (early afternoon on the west coast). If maintenance could be done in the middle of the night west coast time, I think it would affect far fewer users in the peak usage areas.

I'm sure Demand Media has detailed data on the location of users based on IP addresses and also knows what the peak usage times are. It should be fairly easy to determine the times when the fewest users are likely to be affected. Many companies do this. Obviously they can't make everyone happy on a site accessed worldwide but I recall a survey some years ago (before Demand Media was involved) that indicated that something like 70% of A.net members were in the U.S. So picking maintenance times when 90% of those members are likely to be asleep would be a start.

Gatorman96

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Here is a quick workaround...

Navigate to airliners.net Civ Av cached page here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...lnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Right click on the thread title you are interested in, copy the link, and open it in a new tab or window. Let me know if you have any issues...

vikkyvik

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 pm

I keep getting this message for Tech/Ops. AvPhoto and NonAv seem to work fine.

Strange.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

scbriml

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):
Haven't been able to get Civ Av for over an hour now....

Yes, Civ Av is certainly the worst for me.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

sbworcs

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Not been able to get in to Civ Av with any reliability all evening - anyone know when it is likely to be fixed?
The best way forwards is upwards!

LAXintl

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 pm

For the last 5 or so hours have had difficulty accessing CivAv with repeated "Our forum is currently down please come back later." messages.

Seemingly this has become a daily occurrence now over the last couple of weeks.   
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N243NW

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):
"Our forum is currently down please come back later."

Same problem here.

On a less serious note, has anyone given any thought to fixing this sentence? It's a blatant run-on and looks really unprofessional.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Stitch

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 pm

I've been receiving the message in CivAv for the past 12 hours straight.

Gatorman96

Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

All, please see reply 11...

Not a fix, but this workaround gets you to topics in Civ Av

ouboy79
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 18):

All, please see reply 11...

Not a fix, but this workaround gets you to topics in Civ Av

I tried it yesterday, but its a crap shoot if the threads actually load still - let alone allow you to post.

Gatorman96

Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 pm

It's happening again. At least a pattern is starting to emerge. Civ Av is hit or miss (a lot more miss) starting at 1PM EDT and beyond. Sure would like some sort of explanation...

sbworcs

Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Off again for me. Civ Av down. Getting really frustrating. Can anyone in charge let us know when it will work reliably?

747classic

Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Again Civ Av down, for hours now , very frustrating
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

PITingres

Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Civ Av mostly down for me, although very occasionally I can get in. I am not trying repeatedly over and over, rather a try every few random minutes. It's been like this on and off for days now.

I've seen it throughout the day, US Eastern (Daylight).

Other forums are mostly OK although sometimes quite slow compared to normal (as site-related is, right now). So it might be a general slowness, perhaps related to volume of some sort, and civ-av being the largest tips over a time-out?

[Edited 2013-05-01 12:48:50]
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Ronaldo747

Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Since a couple of days, the message appears every evening at this time (c.european summer time). One or two hours later I can get in again, usually.

ouboy79
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Quoting sbworcs (Reply 21):
Off again for me. Civ Av down. Getting really frustrating. Can anyone in charge let us know when it will work reliably?

I think the staff here is trying. Keep in mind A.net is staffed mostly by volunteers and aren't employees of Demand Media (who owns this site).

I've checked out the other major Demand Media sites...and no issues there.

http://www.demandmedia.com/sites/#demand-vertical-network
http://www.demandmedia.com/sites/

Someone could always try contacting them, but I doubt it will get people anywhere: http://www.demandmedia.com/contact-us/

One thing I have noticed. A.net sticks out like a soar thumb in design and speed when compared to their other sites. Perhaps they are doing work behind the scenes to transition the page to one of their more "cookie cutter" designs. Who knows. Already speculated on about every possible cause for this. You would think a revenue generating site like this one would get some more attention. Granted it is still probably low on the overall revenue totem pole for them.

Viscount724

Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 16):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):

Same problem here.

On a less serious note, has anyone given any thought to fixing this sentence? It's a blatant run-on and looks really unprofessional.

I've had the same thought for years. Needs a period after "down" and new sentence starting with "Please", or at least a semi-colon after down. However that change is likely to mean even more downtime.

photoshooter

Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi all,

Since we are discussing this in two different threads, I will have to copy my latest update in here.

Thank you for your updates and further information regarding the current problems with our forums! I can confirm that the problem has gone worse today, it is affecting other parts of the sites as well.

Our IT team are aware and fixing this problem as we speak. We expect a quick fix and trying to minimize the inconvenience when using the forums/website.

If you have forum access (or slow page loads), reloading the page and saving your draft asap could help. We understand this problem is very frustrating and therefore we sincerely apologize for the current inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Airliners.net

KarelXWB

Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
it always seems to go down during the late evening hours in Europe

Correct.

No problems at the office but once I come home after 7 pm (local time) the forum is very slow. I'm experiencing this issue since the last 5-6 days I think.

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 27):
Our IT team are aware and fixing this problem as we speak.

thumbsup 

[Edited 2013-05-01 14:37:15]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

sbworcs

Wed May 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 27):

Thanks for the update. Hope it gets sorted soon!

Gatorman96

Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks for the update Photoshooter! We'll stand by...

vikkyvik

Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

OK, I don't think I've EVER gotten this message in 10 years of posting. Just tried to post in Tech/Ops, and this is what I got when I clicked "submit":

EDIT: correction, it was when I clicked "preview this post".

[Edited 2013-05-02 07:52:38]
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

photoshooter

Fri May 03, 2013 11:33 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 31):

Hi All,

A quick update before the weekend starts! Our IT crew had to close the forums for a short while to perform some maintenance. All the forums should be up and running again and some problems have been solved.

Normally, you will experience a lot less of inconveniences now while visiting or using our forums. If not, please keep us up to date. The Airliners.net crew and IT crew would like to thank you for your patience and comprehension.

I wish you a pleasant weekend!

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Airliners.net Crew

LAXintl

Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Here we go. Its Monday morning and the CivAv is down again.

ouboy79
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 33):

Here we go. Its Monday morning and the CivAv is down again.

I swear this IT team has no concept of "maintenance during off peak hours" that is SOP with every...typical...IT company.

mmo

Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

1757Z Site down for some reason.

1833Z Site functioning.

What is the problem with reliability? Are there mirror servers or is this a bandwith problem?

Certainly, there is an expectation of some adequate level of service? The current service level is not there. How long will this "temporary" problem be in existence?
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

mercure1

Mon May 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Unable to access civil aviation section for last 3-4hours with receiving temprorary down sign frequently.
mercure f-wtcc

na

Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am

I do receive this message almost daily since 10 days or so. Just happened again a few minutes ago.
Sometimes it works at the second or third try, but even then, the forums are often slow.

Viscount724

Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Quoting na (Reply 37):
I do receive this message almost daily since 10 days or so. Just happened again a few minutes ago.
Sometimes it works at the second or third try, but even then, the forums are often slow.

Same with me. Today is the first day in quite a while that the forums seem to be working well. And when the "forum is down" appears, why is it almost always the Civil Aviation forum? I'm often able to access other forums (such as this one) but not Civil Aviation. Don't they all work the same way?

photoshooter

Fri May 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for your further updates regarding this matter. The forums should be working right now. Extra maintenance sessions might follow next week but I'm sure this weekend will be maintenance free (unless it's an emergency).

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you can enjoy our forums this weekend!

Kind regards,

Niek B.
Airliners.net

KarelXWB

Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Since the last 2-3 days, the site performance is as it used to be   
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

mariner

Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 39):
Thank you for your further updates regarding this matter. The forums should be working right now. Extra maintenance sessions might follow next week but I'm sure this weekend will be maintenance free (unless it's an emergency).

It's Saturday here and this morning has been a festival for me - down, not down, down again.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Viscount724

Fri May 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 39):
The forums should be working right now. Extra maintenance sessions might follow next week but I'm sure this weekend will be maintenance free (unless it's an emergency).

That's not my experience. I have been getting the "forum is down" frequently for the Civil Aviation forum for the past half hour (11:30 PM Europe time Friday, 2:30 PM west coast U.S. time). It's connected on about 2 of 10 attempts, and then after a long wait. However other forums (like this one) seem to be working OK.

The only day this week I found the Civil Aviation forum working well was Wednesday.

LAXintl

Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Yup its down again..   

mmo

Mon May 13, 2013 3:00 pm

1500Z 13 May and the civil aviation forum is down. Could get in to the site related forum, but no others are working.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

mercure1

Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Today again having access problems to forum site in civil aviation.

When will management staff positively rectify this continued failure?
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl

Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Outage seems to be a daily Monday - Friday event now.

OEH68

Mon May 13, 2013 6:29 pm

I haven't been able to access the Civil Aviation forum at all today.
OEH68

777222LR

Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes, outages are becoming so frequent. It's rather difficult.

Viscount724

Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Usually it just affects Civil Aviation but today I'm having the same problem with other forums. This is the only one I've been able to access so far. And about 1 of 5 attempts in Tech/Ops worked but when I tried to post a reply I got the "forum is down" response.

Forums were working well on Sunday.