Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747classic

RE: "Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back..."

Mon May 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Continued story : Civil Av no respons (keeps very slowly loading) or " our forum is currently down "
Also other forums are effected sometimes.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

bradmovie

Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Unfortunately I have been having this same problem intermittently for a long time. Usually it's the Civil Aviation forum that is down. Was up today a few minutes ago, but most of the day has not been accessible.

Maybe this is a Mac/Safari issue?

PITingres

Mon May 13, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't think it's Mac or Safari because I have the same problem with linux / firefox.

Civ-av has been inaccessible most of the afternoon, tech/ops too. Really quite annoying.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

777222LR

Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

It's a problem for my mac at home on Safari, and my work PC on ALL internet browsers. It's an Airliners.net problem, not a user problem, and it's been going on for a LONG time.

flood

Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 52):
Really quite annoying.

Very much so. The forum here must be down more on any given week than all the other online forums I frequent combined - over a few years. Yet by some convoluted logic, only here did I have to pay for posting privileges.

scbriml

Tue May 14, 2013 5:03 am

Quoting PITingres (Reply 52):
Really quite annoying.

That's an understatement!

The bigger disappointment is the lack of information from DM or the crew. IF this issue is caused my maintenance, then why isn't the maintenance window notified on the home page. If we knew the site was going to be unreliable for a couple of hours at a specific time & date we could understand. Personally, I find it difficult to believe the amount of maintenance that's being done if that really is the cause.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

photoshooter

Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 am

Hi All,

Thank you for your reports, we appreciate your time and efforts to keep us up to date! We are having some technical problems with our database which affects automatic email services, photo database and forums.

Our IT crew are looking into these problems as we speak. We expect a quick fix although we can not make any promises or give you an estimated time when it'll be fixed. All this combined with the maintenance taking place creates frustration and problems with opening the forums. We would like to apologize us for this inconvenience and thank you sincerely for your patience and comprehension.

As some of you mentioned, the forums are working perfectly during the weekends but we understand this is not a valid solution.

Any further reports/updates are welcome, we will try to keep you up to date as much as possible.

Kind regards,

Airliners.net Customer Service - Support
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

747classic

Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Civil AV forum index is again extremely slow to load and several times the message "Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back "is displayed.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

fxramper

Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

This has happened all day today. Consistently having to refresh and get nothing but time out.

Gatorman96

Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 56):
We are having some technical problems with our database which affects automatic email services, photo database and forums

So what has changed with the servers since January/Feb of this year? Everything was working fine until then. I appreciate the updates, but the generic "maintenance" comments are getting a little old. Most of us are much smarter regarding servers/networks then we are getting credit for.

This problem is becoming so annoying that it would be easier for DM to completely take take servers offline, starting Saturday through Sunday, and fix this problem once and for all. Start a thread in each forum letting members know that this will occur.

Quoting photoshooter (Reply 39):
I'm sure this weekend will be maintenance free (unless it's an emergency).

I have never heard of anybody undertaking maintenance on a server in the middle of the day during the week. This should be the other way around, where all maintenance is done on the weekend, unless there is an emergency.

Please know this is nothing against you Photoshooter, I really appreciate the updates, but more detail would go a long way...

OEH68

Fri May 24, 2013 2:18 pm

After several days of normal service, the problems are appearing again today. Only 2 out of maybe 50 attempts to access the CA forum have been successful for me today.
OEH68

UPS707

Fri May 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Me too.. And it is only the CA forum.. I was able to get here and post this (obviously). Also checked some of the others and they seem to be fine as well.

817Dreamliiner

Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

It might be from the recent events in the london area causing it...
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

KarelXWB

Fri May 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Quoting OEH68 (Reply 60):
After several days of normal service, the problems are appearing again today.

I'm experiencing the same problems.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

747classic

Fri May 24, 2013 4:13 pm

The last few hours Civil AV forum is not accessible (IE9) anymore and the message "Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back "is displayed.

mercure1

Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes no access to civil aviation forums the last 3 or so hours.

Shame the terrible reliability with this website.
mercure f-wtcc

David L

Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Quoting 747classic (Reply 64):
the message "Our Forum Is Currently Down Please Come Back "is displayed.

Lucky you! In the early hours of this morning (GMT/UTC), all I got was "Server could not be located...".

kanban

Tue May 28, 2013 4:02 pm

I've been wondering if redefining the types of threads on the Civil Av forum would lessen the high usage impact .
for example:
a) moving all 747,787, A350, A380 production and delivery threads to Tech and Ops
b) moving major issue threads (i..e. 787 batteries, crash/incident speculations and assessments) to Tech and Ops
c) moving fleet painting/update modifications, "how many ___ left flying/in fleet" , "comparing model x to model z" to Tech and Ops
d) moving all regional threads ( Irish, Indian, Mali, Caribbean ) to travel

Of course the question is would that improve the accessibility to Civ-Av?

Thoughts?

mercure1

Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 pm

It seems we have more forum issues today. Difficult to access again.
mercure f-wtcc

scbriml

Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 pm

And again!   

Hello DM, is anyone there? This service is really pretty poor. An explanaition for your customers would be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath...
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

sbworcs

Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 pm

I understand that the mods do not have control over server issues but as these have been going on for some time know a proper explanation from DM along with a timeline for getting normal service again would be good.
The best way forwards is upwards!

Gatorman96

Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Just happened to me as well.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 69):
Hello DM, is anyone there? This service is really pretty poor. An explanaition for your customers would be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath...

Seems like a simple thing to do. Not sure what is going on and DM should be embarrassed by their lack of communication, especially when many users pay to use their site!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi All,

I do apologise that this is taking longer than anticipated to resolve and I regret the inconvenience this has caused. Niek has been keeping you updated as best as possible with the information we have.

It is not a simple fix as the core infrastructure is quite old and it is not necessarily an in-house problem as noted by Gatorman96 we cannot control when someone tries to pull a DDoS or SQL injection. The developers and security respond as quickly as possible to these but we can't stop them.

Thanks and regards

Paul

[Edited 2013-05-30 02:15:47 by SA7700]
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

csturdiv

Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 am

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 74):
I pray for the IT team and DM that these issues are DDoS attacks. If not, these have become the most poorly run forums I have probably ever seen...

Would be rather odd of it being a DDoS attack that only affects the CivAv forum while all other aspects of the site are operating as is.

It'll never be resolved, much like the issue when doing a Google search for an aircraft registration and clicking on a search result that leads to the Airliners.net database. Clicking on the airliners.net result from a browser such as IE will take you to straight to the results. From Chrome, you are asked to take a survey to get to the search results.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

SA7700

Thu May 30, 2013 9:10 am

Kindly report experiences of this kind in the following bug-related thread:

Report The Bugs Here (Part 4)

Thanks and regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)