Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

na
Topic Author

Why Are Topics Closed After A Short Time?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Today I wanted to respond to a two week old thread because I got new information. Unfortunately the thread is closed (not because its controversial, not because there are 200+ answers, only because its already so "old").
I understand that low-interest threads or threads with a very limited time frame like "Attention JFK spotters, LH 737 landing today" are being closed pretty soon, but otherwise I think they should be open for at least a month. What do you think?

wilco737

RE: Why Are Topics Closed After A Short Time?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Threads are automatically archived after a period of time without replies.

I don't know this specific time period, but I could bring it up within the moderators and discuss it.

If you have new information on a topic which was automatically archived, then start a new one.

Thanks.

wilco737

na
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 1):
I don't know this specific time period, but I could bring it up within the moderators and discuss it.

That would be good. That period should be extended to 4 weeks. The nature of a thread can be very different. Some are hot debates but discussed to death in a few days, while others deal with more longterm issues where constant additions are likely.

If you have new information on a topic which was automatically archived, then start a new one.

Sure, I did that several times before. But sometimes when just a small info needs to be added I feel thats too much. Also the context of the original thread will be lost to many who just want to have a short look into a certain theme.

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Any reason why in Tech/ops its different......Is it because of the technical talk involved there....because threads are continuing even after a few yrs of the last post at times.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

KarelXWB

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:06 am

Threads are automatically archived after a period of time without replies.

I have to feeling that the rule doesn't apply to all threads. The "Airbus And Boeing Orders 2013" thread for example can always be replied in.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

wilco737

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 4):
I have to feeling that the rule doesn't apply to all threads. The "Airbus And Boeing Orders 2013" thread for example can always be replied in.

From what I know is that all threads got archived automatically after a specific time. But once a new post has been made this time frame starts over again.
I haven't heard of any other rule. And we cannot decide how long a thread will remain until it will be automatically be archived. Of course, when we manually archive them, that is a different story. But that is only done when needed.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 3):
Any reason why in Tech/ops its different......Is it because of the technical talk involved there....because threads are continuing even after a few yrs of the last post at times.

The civ av forum is far more active than the other forums, I guess that's why they are open longer.

But I guess these times are still from the beginning of a.net and have never been changed.

wilco737

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 5):
But I guess these times are still from the beginning of a.net and have never been changed.

But I need to add though that the TECH/OPS forum have a lot of maturity in their posts......which is very good.

wilco737

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
But I need to add though that the TECH/OPS forum have a lot of maturity in their posts......which is very good.

I agree. Many guys who know their stuff post in there and some good civilized discussions take place there.

wilco737

PHX787

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 am

On CivAv it seems like the window is 22 days. On threads which are long term, such as the PHX thread, i sometimes have to "bump" it, at the risk of breaking the rules, by digging deep and finding something to discuss. A few days ago for example, I posted an article about offices nearby PHX getting a revamp.

I do this not because I am an attention seeker for this thread, but because it is one of the more responded to threads, albeit during slow times, it could get quiet, and i don't want to keep continually creating a million PHX aviation threads, nor do the others at PHX Spotters, who help support the thread by providing news and other information.

So yeah the closing time frame is understandable but tricky, especially if I wanna stay in the rules.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

HAWK21M

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 7):
I agree. Many guys who know their stuff post in there and some good civilized discussions take place there.

Thats true.....Dealing with experience matters  

The Site Related is the most serious
Tech/Ops ....the most professional.
Civil......the most posts.....

777way

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am

I have seen some civil av topics be revived after months despite not having been replied to during that period.

andz

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Here's an extreme example:

Takeoff With No Flaps Extended, Is It Posible? (by Capri Sep 19 2003 in Tech Ops)

Posted Sat Sep 20 2003 05:29:10 your local time (10 years 1 week 15 hours ago)

Replied to today.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

srbmod

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 10):
I have seen some civil av topics be revived after months despite not having been replied to during that period.

That's impossible, as all threads in Civ-Av (as well as Travel, Polls & Preferences, Av Photo and Non-Av) automatically lock after 14 days of inactivity. What you likely saw was a thread with a similar title.

kanban

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

actually there isa 10 year gap between replies 20 and 21. I've seen several before but it may be an anomaly due to a system quirk than a planned event. or maybe the lock only lasts 9 years or threads before a certain date got excluded from the locking criteria as too old to bother with.

KarelXWB

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
On CivAv it seems like the window is 22 days.

More like two weeks: WestJet Letter of Intent For 65 737MAX (by cylw Aug 29 2013 in Civil Aviation) (locked, last reply was 2 weeks and 3 days ago).
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 am

I've had the experience of providing new information on a topic and actually starting a new thread, then having it deleted because the topic had already been discussed and was locked.   

wilco737

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 am

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 15):

That shouldn't be happening. We make mistakes as well. So if this happens, then please send us an email and we can sort it out or even re-instate the thread.

Thanks.

wilco737

ouboy79

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:56 pm

This is just one of the few flaws with the A.net forum system that you just have to take hand in hand with its benefits. Having all threads dumped into one main category (granted they do have some things split up right now...Civ Av, Trip Reports, etc), things get lost fast. There are probably opportunities to break things out a bit further without resorting to a typical forum layout like everyone else. However the current layout requires them locking threads fairly quickly even though the topic may be revisited a relatively short time later. The SCASD thread for example...is one that really shouldn't be split up in several because of time.

Like I said though...good with the bad. I'm not a fan of the system here with "XYZ Airlines Thread # 398302902". It just seems horribly inefficient and terrible at keeping topics organized. You essentially dump everything from schedule changes, fleet announcements, FF program discussions, etc all into one and you can't find related information you are looking for without scrolling through 200 other posts that have nothing to do with what you are talking about. However, with all Civ Av locked into one section...it isn't realistic to split topics up like they should without forcing topics scrolling off the front page with in a few hours.

Personally I think we need to see some segregating of the Civ Av forum specifically. My suggestions?
Civ Av - US Carriers , Civ Av - Int'l Carriers , Civ Av - US Airports , Civ Av - Int'l Airports , Civ Av - Aircraft & General Aviation

The other option is that is too complicated is to allow the OP to flag a post for a specific category and then allow users to filter out categories they don't want to read. Just a way to perhaps bring more organization to the whole thing and remove the need to close threads so quickly.

wilco737

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 17):
XYZ Airlines Thread # 398302902"
It just seems horribly inefficient and terrible at keeping topics organized. You essentially dump everything from schedule changes, fleet announcements, FF program discussions, etc all into one and you can't find related information you are looking for without scrolling through 200 other posts that have nothing to do with what you are talking about

General topics about a spefic airline are being discussed in these threads, but big orders, new routes can be in seperate threads as well. It is all a case to case decision.
But if you start a thread for every tiny news in an airline, the forum will be crowded by so many threads and it won't be spefically easier to browse through the new information.
The civ av forum is quite active and threads are moved to the 2nd page pretty quickly - currently less than 2 days. And then you might miss the information as well you are looking for.

Personally I think we need to see some segregating of the Civ Av forum specifically. My suggestions?
Civ Av - US Carriers , Civ Av - Int'l Carriers , Civ Av - US Airports , Civ Av - Int'l Airports , Civ Av - Aircraft & General Aviation

Generally I would say not too bad of an idea. But how many subforums would be needed? It is an american website, but there are so many users from all over the world. So you would need a part fo Asian or European or African airlines as well. So that would make a huge number of forums and subforums.

I see your point here. Problem is, that the civ av forum is very active and very dynamic.

The other option is that is too complicated is to allow the OP to flag a post for a specific category and then allow users to filter out categories they don't want to read. Just a way to perhaps bring more organization to the whole thing and remove the need to close threads so quickly.

That would be a good idea. I am not sure how this would work. Older users are familar with the forum and know how to navigate through the forum. But new users wouldn't know about this feature and maybe simply don't flag the topic in the category. But maybe before hitting "submit reply" there can be a reminder to at least flag a country, airline or airport the thread is about.

Thanks for the feedback.

wilco737

ouboy79

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 18):
Generally I would say not too bad of an idea. But how many subforums would be needed? It is an american website, but there are so many users from all over the world. So you would need a part fo Asian or European or African airlines as well. So that would make a huge number of forums and subforums.

I see your point here. Problem is, that the civ av forum is very active and very dynamic.

Yeah it is that balance of how much change can be done before the community is negatively impacted. The large international user base is also something to consider as well. If anything, it might be a situation of roll out in phases to find the right balance. Split Airports, Airlines, and Aircraft/General Aviation and see how it goes. If it needs more dividing then go to the next step by region. The other option would be to just regionalize Civ Av by Americas, Europe/Africa, Asia/Pacific.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 18):
That would be a good idea. I am not sure how this would work. Older users are familar with the forum and know how to navigate through the forum. But new users wouldn't know about this feature and maybe simply don't flag the topic in the category. But maybe before hitting "submit reply" there can be a reminder to at least flag a country, airline or airport the thread is about.

Yeah, it would be a relatively non-intrusive change customer interface wise and just an extra option to flag the post for a certain topic. It would be a great feature for those of us that really don't have an interest in certain topics or areas of the globe.

kanban

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I noticed that on some high volume forums the threads are locked (showing the lock symbol) after 25 or so days, while other forums there appears to be no similar criteria.

I guess this is a housekeeping function, yet could it not also lead to people posting no comment posts just to keep the subject open. i.e. the Military forum has a P-8 that has gone on for over a year, however news is sparse so sometimes months go by without any news. If the lock out rule was applied, would it encourage frivolous posts?