777way
Topic Author

Missing Members With Accounts Still Active

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Looked up AF340-300E and he hasn't posted in almost nine years, any one know if he is ok? his sites are inactive, probably contact will not be working either, any more such cases? knew him through his posts and some emails, when this site was just a year online.

Coincidence that I came across his account by chance the very month he last posted in.

https://www.airliners.net/profile/afa340-300e

[Edited 2013-09-03 11:55:51]

KaiGywer

RE: Missing Members With Accounts Still Active

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Some people move on. Back in the day, you signed up for an account and it was yours for life. The same still applies today with a Premium member account. Only FC accounts are made inactive when people stop paying.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

United787

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 pm

I am curious as to where Keesje went. He was a fairly active poster and then dropped off...

Aircellist

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 am

I lost a friend… Baroque, who passed away not long ago… His account is still open…

Maybe we could have an obituary section?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

HAWK21M

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:34 am

Whats Anet regulations on how long an account can be inactive.

I've noticed quite a few folks missing from the site since late 2001.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JohnKrist
Head Support

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):

No such thing, your account is for life, unless you get yourself permanently banned that is  
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

KarelXWB

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Quoting Aircellist (Reply 3):
I lost a friend… Baroque, who passed away not long ago… His account is still open…

Baroque from Toronto?
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Aircellist

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 6):

Baroque from Toronto?

No, I think I remember he was borne English, lived in Australia, geologist… A nice chap. We had quite a few discussions on music (he loved Elgar's Cello concerto).

One evening, I told him of my dad's sickness, and afterwards he always asked me about my dad. I learned he had passed away in a thread where it was mentioned. He also told me some nice words about other members, he had met Astuteman and found the guy very likeable, for instance. I do miss him.

Which makes me think: maybe we could have some kind of "in memoriam" thread, for our departed members?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Aesma

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Too bad about Baroque, I also had some nice discussions with him since we were getting in trouble with the law (moderation) !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

canoecarrier

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Keesje still posts on other sites. I've seen his posts on the Seattle Times and a couple aviation blogs. Baroque is missed. I too had several off site conversations with him. A very intelligent man.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am

There used be another intelligent poster ...... b747skipper.......or similiar.

ODwyerPW

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 am

I really enjoyed posts by TDSCanuck. Super insightful. I haven't seen him in a year or so.
learning never stops.

HT

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 am

There had been two threads in non-Av recently about no-longer active / missing A.netters.
What Has Happened To A.net? (by gkirk Oct 7 2013 in Non Aviation)
and its continuation
What Has Happened To A.net? Part 2 (by iowaman Oct 20 2013 in Non Aviation)

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Aircellist

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 12):
There had been two threads in non-Av recently about no-longer active / missing A.netters.

Thanks for the head-up. Enjoyed those threads. Some spirit of another time in them.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 pm

@ odwyerpw: you are right, he was very precious for this forum.

When I joined a.net in 2006 or 2007 there was a member with a very complicated user-name, iIRC it included Bob and NWA. He was very active in all A 380-threads. Does anybody know what happened to him?

HT

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 14):
When I joined a.net in 2006 or 2007 there was a member with a very complicated user-name, iIRC it included Bob and NWA. He was very active in all A 380-threads. Does anybody know what happened to him?

The website has its own Search engine for Users. Look into menu "Community". Searches for Username by more than one search string apparently can be made by combining both strings with an asterix.
Result is: https://www.airliners.net/profile/bobnwa who has made his last post less than 2 days ago.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

N14AZ

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:25 am

Quoting HT (Reply 15):
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 14):

The website has its own Search engine for Users. Look into menu "Community". Searches for Username by more than one search string apparently can be made by combining both strings with an asterix.
Result is: https://www.airliners.net/profile/bobnwa who has made his last post less than 2 days ago.
-HT

Hello HT! Thanks for your feedback. But I wasn't looking for bobnwa. In the meantime I found his name by checking the discussions in which I participated at the beginning of my "a-net-career"   and I found his name: aminobwana. Well, I told you it's a little bit complicated but it includes (almost) the words Bob and nwa  

His account is no longer active. Does anybody know what happened to him?

EPA001

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Yes, Baroque is dearly missed. I have had many discussions with him. Also over the Instant Message Service and later on by email and telephone. Our contact was so good that when the time came I visited him and his wife at their house in Australia, and I was not the first member of A-net who came out to Australia to meet with him.

It was really a great time to see that such long-distance contacts which came about by our passion for aviation (and other things) could lead to this. Have met with him in Germany later on once more.

Too bad he suddenly passed away too soon.

Also Tdscanuck and Keesje are members who really contributed very positively to this forum. Too bad they are not active anymore here, but they are luckily still alive (at least to my knowledge). Hope they will return to the forum some day soon.

airnorth

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Its an unfortunate that the personal attacks on some of these threads cause some of the very knowledgable posters to either deactivate their accounts, or simpy quit posting. Last year during the 787 grounding, it was shocking to see what some posters would write! I'm pretty sure thats why Tdscanuck and CM no longer post, which is unfortunate, because it seemed like they had direct involvement in the program? At any rate, it really was a loss for the forum as far as I'm concerned.
I think we as a group should keep that in mind when posting, keep it civil and just agree to disagree, there is nothing wrong with having different opinions, juast keep the discussion respectful.

BA677

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Anybody know what happened to FlyingFinn76? he did some great trip reports.

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Quoting airnorth (Reply 18):
there is nothing wrong with having different opinions, juast keep the discussion respectful.

It can get frustrating and tiring to talk logic to folks that just dont want to listen at times.......its very difficult when one has a professional job and the posts on the forum lead to having to prove ones self and explain to people who feel they are right.......These guys have experience, learn from them , dont get them fedup and start to quit.

FlyboyOz

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 am

People have changed a lot... I don't use it here very often but I love reading here rather than writing here.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Viscount724

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 am

Quoting odwyerpw (Reply 11):
I really enjoyed posts by TDSCanuck. Super insightful. I haven't seen him in a year or so.

He said a year or so ago he was going back to university (in BOS) to get his MBA. I expect he's too busy to post.

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 21):
I don't use it here very often but I love reading here rather than writing here.

Things are very different these days  

FlyingFinn76

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Quoting BA677 (Reply 19):
Anybody know what happened to FlyingFinn76? he did some great trip reports.

The rumors about my death are greatly exaggerated!

Hah, anyway thanks for the kind words, mate.

Things got a little intense towards the "end" - a.net was getting too much under my skin and typing up the reports destroyed any free time I had back then (and that wasn't even enough!). Add to that some shitty personal life issues and I just sort of "burned out" and couldn't really contribute any more.

I've always had this idea that I'd make a "limited" comeback one day - I haven't given up on traveling, in fact these days I'm traveling further and wider than ever before and every time I'm doing some important trip I do feel a bit guilty about not coming up with a report on it. I seem to still have a need for sharing my experiences, these days I do it on a limited scale in Facebook but of course that is a little bit different media.

So who knows, maybe one day. Still so many cool things scheduled up this year too!

PS. I see that the a.net board software is still the same p.o.s. as before - this is one of the reasons I gave up in the first place!

HAWK21M

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 am

Quoting FlyingFinn76 (Reply 24):

Welcome back  

crazyguineapig

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Anyone remember Tupolev160? I really valued his insight. He had some great discussions on sanctioned airlines such as on carriers from Iran, as well as on east European topics. It appears his account has been deactivated, though.

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 21):

I've only been on for two years but I've been reading here for at least double that time! I know exactly what you mean, I think

canoecarrier

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting airnorth (Reply 18):
Last year during the 787 grounding, it was shocking to see what some posters would write! I'm pretty sure thats why Tdscanuck and CM no longer post, which is unfortunate, because it seemed like they had direct involvement in the program? At any rate, it really was a loss for the forum as far as I'm concerned.

Tom and CM's absence is sorely missed. It is truly unfortunate if they were in fact run off by other posters in the CivAv forum. Tom would have been a great resource in the discussion going on now about the missing Malaysia 777 as he was in many other topics on that type.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:12 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 27):
Tom and CM's absence is sorely missed. It is truly unfortunate if they were in fact run off by other posters in the CivAv forum

I guess thats been the main reason for some fantastic knowledgeable posters to quit.....when arm chair CEOs keep argueing with them with nonsense.

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am

I still had some respected users on my account when I had it reactivated, but they hadn't posted since the early 00's. As someone said, people move on. I noticed that there are people signed on in the Users online list, that haven't posted for ages, but they are here, because of the green light indicator, maybe they are in chat etc. I only sign on if I am posting, otherwise I just use the forum like a non member viewing.. It can be sad when people are no longer here if you have built a rapport or friendship with them, it is good to know that some are missed, especially for their valuable contributions they could have made, or you wonder how their life turned out, when they at times over-shared their dramas in life.. I was reading back on some posts around 2005 and 2006 and I am glad that when I returned that the rules and standards seemed much higher with less tolerance for things to go awry, but also there are so many more members around now too.. I just hope the bugs can be fixed, there are a lot of them.. And A.net is becoming quite classic in the software and technology regard.. But the emoticons are priceless and timeless..         

Revelation

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: A.net thread on Baroque's passing: Baroque Has Passed Away. (by imiakhtar Nov 30 2011 in Non Aviation)

I too miss him.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

sccutler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 am

One cannot pretend that A.net has the same spirit, tone, whatever, as a commercial site, as it had when Johan was running the site. I feel sort of silly, now, for contributing money (a not inconsiderable sum at the time) when Johan needed a new server when, ultimately, it was all for sale to the current site-owner anyway.

Also, the often-bizarre moderation policies have served to drive away many of the best-informed and most-mature participants. To be blunt, when you are accustomed to dealing in the real world, being subjected to cyber-silliness is just more trouble and insult than the limited satisfaction that the conversation delivers.

In short, for many, it just snit worth the trouble.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

kanban

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 27):

Last time I corresponded with Tom, he was busy working on an advanced degree on a company scholarship and was no longer connected with the data sources he needed. I suspect he is headed for bigger management things when he returns and may be severely limited in what he will be able to share.. yes some posters were rude and ignorant, however Tom never let that get to him.

PHX787

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:15 am

Quoting odwyerpw (Reply 11):

I miss that dude too. I went to him whenever I had a 787 related question quite often.

Quoting crazyguineapig (Reply 26):
Anyone remember Tupolev160?

He got permanently banned.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 31):
Also, the often-bizarre moderation policies have served to drive away many of the best-informed and most-mature participants. To be blunt, when you are accustomed to dealing in the real world, being subjected to cyber-silliness is just more trouble and insult than the limited satisfaction that the conversation delivers.

I personally used to post here daily, about 10 posts a day, usually in Civ Av and Non-av....

In the last month I've been banned once and I think I probably posted once or twice (in Trip Reports) this whole time up until today.

I joined in 2012. Anet really has dropped for me. I'm not having fun here, it's too time consuming, and like many of the others who have left, it simply isn't what it used to be....even for 2 years ago.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Elite

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:48 am

Sorry for bringing up a relatively old thread. But since I was a former Crew member (customer support) I felt like I could say a thing or two about the subject, hopefully!

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):
I joined in 2012. Anet really has dropped for me. I'm not having fun here, it's too time consuming, and like many of the others who have left, it simply isn't what it used to be....even for 2 years ago.

I worked with this forum for a little bit, obviously, but I've also been involved with other sites (as a support staff) such as Neopets and Habbo Hotel way back in the day. The problem is nothing new. All three are, in the internet age, very old, and the process of members leaving leaves a lot of members longing for the good old days.

It's a tough challenge to keep the site fresh and to keep it up to date. I have no association with any, but the latest that I know Habbo and Neopets are really struggling in terms of popularity and number of dedicated users. This forum is doing quite a bit better and the retention of the unique culture that makes this site great is still, more or less, present. The same can't be said for a lot of other online communities out there!

BC77008

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 pm

What ever happened to the poster WorldTraveler? I think it's been around 4 or 5 years now since I've seen him on this forum. He was a HUGE Delta fanboy and anytime he posted a topic it was surely going to incite a lot of drama. Anytime he would start a topic I would sit back with a figurative bowl of popcorn and read everything he would say and all the commend that were sure to follow. He was so far above my intelligence level it wasn't even funny - that's why I didn't bother commenting on his threads. Controversial, engaging, challenging. I really miss him.

[Edited 2014-10-12 14:45:35]
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Viscount724

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 35):
What ever happened to the poster WorldTraveler? I think it's been around 4 or 5 years now since I've seen him on this forum. He was a HUGE Delta fanboy and anytime he posted a topic it was surely going to incite a lot of drama. Anytime he would start a topic I would sit back with a figurative bowl of popcorn and read everything he would say and all the commend that were sure to follow. He was so far above my intelligence level it wasn't even funny - that's why I didn't bother commenting on his threads. Controversial, engaging, challenging. I really miss him.

Agree, I always liked WorldTraveler's posts. He seemed very knowledgeable about the airline industry.

I also miss Keesje from the Netherlands. He seemed to disappear suddenly a year or more ago and dropped his membership.

Another one I haven't see for months is "Koruman" who was always very active in any threads involving Australia or New Zealand. His membership also dropped.

notaxonrotax

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:22 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 36):

I also miss Keesje from the Netherlands. He seemed to disappear suddenly a year or more ago and dropped his membership.

I have a funny feeling Keesje´s still among us......albeit disguised as a newbie.

A guy I miss is for instance this Dave from Long Island.....a pilot & photographer; I forgot his username.
I think he hasn't posted for a while now.

And a guy I hardly ever agree with, but his absence is really noticeable:

-Nav20.
Aaah, hang on! Just checked, apparently he got himself in some "schtuck" and got banned.
I found it interesting that a Nav30 is now active as well though, would they be connected perhaps?

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:19 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 37):
A guy I miss is for instance this Dave from Long Island.....a pilot & photographer; I forgot his username.

Mir?

If so, he still posts plenty.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

notaxonrotax

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 38):

Mir?

If so, he still posts plenty.

No.....I actually tracked "my" Dave down yesterday.....says he is gone fore good from the site!

Thanks anyway, mate!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 39):

No.....I actually tracked "my" Dave down yesterday.....says he is gone fore good from the site!

You mean there are two Daves from New York on here???  Wow!

Anyway.

I sorta wish Mir would leave, the Yankees fan that he is....

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

notaxonrotax

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 40):
You mean there are two Daves from New York on here???  

Amazing, no?

Anyways, I was also wondering about member WarrenPlatts!
He seemed adamant he would solve the MH370 mystery......
He must be busy somewhere offshore, as he hasn't posted anything on here in over 3 months!
Good luck to him!

No Tax On Rotax

NorthstarBoy

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:30 am

I do miss Baroque, his knowledge of the middle east was unsurpassed.

the user b747skipper, was he the 747-400 captain with Singapore Airlines Cargo?
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 17):
Also Tdscanuck and Keesje are members who really contributed very positively to this forum. Too bad they are not active anymore here, but they are luckily still alive (at least to my knowledge). Hope they will return to the forum some day soon.

I think you'll find Keesje has posted in this very thread  

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 37):
I found it interesting that a Nav30 is now active as well though, would they be connected perhaps?

Yeah....

I sent him (NAV30) a PM sometime ago now, just to see if he was the same person...... I never received a reply !

So make of that what you will ???

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 42):
I do miss Baroque, his knowledge of the middle east was unsurpassed.

Me too. He was a great person, fair and unbiased.

He's missed by many on here.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

777way
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Someone else took up a banned users account with the ex-users complete profile, respected list and albums included and it stayed that way for atleast a year, they just changed location and flag to some unpopular place, the profile was cleared only after someone must have noticed and pointed it out, could have been an inside job by an ex-staff member from that time who issued the ban, maybe passed it off to a friend or used it himself, this happened years ago, that account is still active .

tommy767

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:36 am

To answer your question without listing specific users, many.

When I joined in 2003, A.net was a very different place. The forum was mainly for news and to learn about the industry. It's really not that way anymore.

I honestly think a lot have left because the civ av forum has become so overcrowded, IMHO.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

qf002

Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 36):
Another one I haven't see for months is "Koruman" who was always very active in any threads involving Australia or New Zealand. His membership also dropped.

I suspect you'll find that koruman is now 'nouflyer':

https://www.airliners.net/profile/nouflyer

mmo

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:40 am

There was also another active pilot, PhilSquares, who was a 744 Captain with SQ. He was very helpful and provided a good perspective on the real operations. However, he was banned after some comments he posted and never returned. A big loss for everyone.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

ltbewr

Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:21 pm

I would suspect the growth of Facebook has to be a factor with these accounts. People have other places like Facebook to state opinions including other aviation as well as news sites. Some might have the early 'lifetime' basic membership (like I have) so unless moderators terminate the account for cause or members do so on their own, they are still zombie members on the books.