Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

waterpolodan

RE: Missing Members With Accounts Still Active

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm sure no one remembers me but I posted for a few years and then stopped. I've been thinking recently that internet forums in general seem to be on the decline, probably directly related to the rise of interest-specific pages on social media.

Personally, I got really in to cycling and met my now-wife right after I stopped posting, so I've had a lot less time in the last 4 or 5 years to spend online. I just decided to come here on a whim to see if anyone else has noticed the general decline in forums. It's not unique to this site, it seems to be across the board for specific interest forums with a handful of exceptions (a bike forum I frequent, and some auto racing forums).

Glad to see that my account still works, at least!

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 100):
probably directly related to the rise of interest-specific pages on social media.

I somewhat disagree, I think the reason why a lot of sites have gone down hill is due to an increase in politically correct moderation, it's killed off many topics here, too many people get butt-hurt from even the slightest non pc comment, so the mods weigh in, cut topics to ribbons or shut them down.

JBo

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:09 am

I've been a member on the forums for many years now, and I think the biggest factor in the change of the dynamic on these forums happened during the transition period when Johan sold out to Demand Media, because basically everything changed then.

The site -- especially the forum -- was plagued with technical issues for months after the site transferred to Demand Media's hosting, and there were a number of more "vocal" long-time members who had their memberships permanently banned, and many others who simply left on their own terms because they were unhappy with the changes.

At the same time -- people come and people go, and interests and priorities change. I haven't worked in the airlines for seven years, and aviation as a hobby doesn't take nearly as much time as it used to, but I still check through the forums here semi-regularly as it's a good source of reading material when I have downtime at work, and there are still discussions that are worth reading and contributing to.

I also think the fact that this site is very behind, technologically, with the world of mobile devices might be a factor as well, though I've heard that a more mobile-friendly revamp is currently in the works.

Just my thoughts.

- J

PHX787

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 90):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 84):
Quoting 777way (Reply 82):
Where is Superfly? havent seen him post in quite a while.

BKK.

He has done many posts from there, but hasnt been on since April.

He's been kinda sick of the non-av forum and the kids pretending to be experts on civ av. Kinda like me.

Quoting jbo (Reply 102):
At the same time -- people come and people go, and interests and priorities change.

Well I feel like I got bored of the same crap on Non-av all the time and Civ Av went down really fast in 2013-2014. I have been focusing on my different interests as well- youtube, photography, etc., and also have been focused on graduation and finding a job.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 am

I've been on Anet since 2001 & noticed a significant drop in the professionals on certain forums.

glen

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 104):
I've been on Anet since 2001 & noticed a significant drop in the professionals on certain forums.

Unfortunately even in the Tech/Ops quite a number of threads have been ruined lately by Airbus vs. Boeing debates - debates initiated by professionals. Therefore I think many other profs refrain from posting, as they dislike these childish behaviour.

Ytraveller

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 pm

A lot of frequent trip reporters have stopped posting, just within the last year or so. PlaneHunter, widebodyroga, Akhmad, knightsofmalta, sultanils, lukeyboy. So many, that the TR subforum has become so slow. Maybe 5-10 posts a day.

Even worse in Aviation Hobby. So many threads with 0 replies, and the rest are in single digits. The occasional thread with 30+ replies was probably moved from another subforum. It depresses me.

Hopefully the new site will have a little reorganisation as far as the subforums, and it might inspire some people to return. I know a reason for some trip reporters' leaving is the difficulty dealing with the A.net system, e.g. pictures randomly don't appear. I'm praying the new site will look and feel nice, else that can really drive people from a site. It's the reason I rarely visit Yahoo Answers anymore.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:25 am

Quoting glen (Reply 105):
Therefore I think many other profs refrain from posting, as they dislike these childish behaviour.

Most people dont understand that a professional is working 12hrs shifts, not catering to travel time & then makes time for the forum, such people wont have the time to waste convincing armchair CEOs on logic, this ultimetly causes them to move on.

notaxonrotax

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 am

Not completely on topic, but: is Wilco 737 gone?

He was here a while, became a moderator, left, came back, became a head moderator.....and then out of the blue I read a thread in which he announced he was taking ALL his pics off this site.

This thread disappeared in a heartbeat........I wonder what happened!?

No Tax On Rotax

bw50505

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 108):

He appears to be gone from A.net but he is still posting photos via Flickr under the same username.

bw50505

lesfalls

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:49 pm

Anyone know what happend to LPDAL?

https://www.airliners.net/profile/lpdal

lesfalls

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:53 pm

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 106):

LPDAL also was quite a big contributor. It's Unfortunate how this site continues to go downhill  

Ytraveller

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 111):
LPDAL also was quite a big contributor. It's Unfortunate how this site continues to go downhill  

LPDAL is still active on FlyerTalk although I don't think he posts TRs anymore. It seems he's left A.net as he was getting many negative comments on his reports.

mrv85

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Does anyone know were KarelXWB went?

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Quoting mrv85 (Reply 113):
Does anyone know were KarelXWB went?

I have no idea but his twitter activity stopped as well. No tweets since April 1st.

flymia

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 110):

I see him on instagram. He is working for Eagle as a Ramper and is a great aviation follow. As for why he stopped posting on Anet I am not sure. Maybe the trip reports, which were very extensive, must have been very time consuming. He is taking advantage of non-rev travel.

Good kid, just did not seem to be very self-aware, at first, of what an incredibly well off/fortunate economic position he is in. Once he talked about how he spent over $50,000.00 in air fare tickets in a year for his day trips. But, he improved a lot on that front, really made some interesting trip reports.

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 106):
Even worse in Aviation Hobby.

Its always been a slower forum, but yes, its crazy slow now.

[Edited 2016-04-11 14:20:51]

VapourTrails

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:36 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 115):
I see him on instagram. He is working for Eagle as a Ramper and is a great aviation follow. As for why he stopped posting on Anet I am not sure. Maybe the trip reports, which were very extensive, must have been very time consuming. He is taking advantage of non-rev travel.

Good kid, just did not seem to be very self-aware, at first, of what an incredibly well off/fortunate economic position he is in. Once he talked about how he spent over $50,000.00 in air fare tickets in a year for his day trips. But, he improved a lot on that front, really made some interesting trip reports.

And thanks for the info. I found him to be very helpful in the technical side of coding etc., offering help and advice for compiling trip reports and using this site.

lpdal

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:38 am

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 110):

Rumors of my leaving Anet are largely exaggerated!  
Quoting ytraveller (Reply 112):
LPDAL is still active on FlyerTalk although I don't think he posts TRs anymore.

I do (only on FT however), I just haven't had time to write them due to large changes in my life, the biggest of which is that I moved out of my parents house and into my own little abode across town. [And I miss writing trip reports too!] My Flickr has a gigantic pile of trip report photos that are ready to be used when the time comes.  
Maybe the trip reports, which were very extensive, must have been very time consuming.
Quoting ytraveller (Reply 112):
It seems he's left A.net as he was getting many negative comments on his reports.

It didn't actually have to do with trip reports, more that I felt I spent too much time on the computer. That doesn't mean I quit writing TRs altogether!  
He is working for Eagle as a Ramper
MIA based, say hi if you ever pass through.  
As for why he stopped posting on Anet I am not sure.

Again, I may not post them on A.Net anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't post them elsewhere.

Above all else, I thank you all for your kind words. Unfortunately, I cannot return to posting on ANet, but as above, I get my aviation fix through other sites.  Smile

-LPDAL

[Edited 2016-04-20 19:51:45]

BNE

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:39 pm

After reading about the passing of Britannia 25 I thought I would check the site related part of a.net to see who else might have left us.

A few years ago I heard of the passing of MX5_boy,

Also just recently another a.net member thadocta has died.

Quoting blink182 (Reply 92):
Anybody know what happened to Brissie_lions? Starter of the first self-pic thread?

That is a name from the past, I was over in WA for a while and I did wonder where I might find him.

A lot of a.net members I now keep up with via Facebook, a few years ago I had caught up with MYT332 in Brisbane, and then I next met him in Perth, he was moving there the same day that I was advised that my time in the west was coming to an end. Alex has now been in WA for a year but what was weird as that we had kept up via Facebook we had kind of kept in touch.

bw50505

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 114):

KarelXWB still appears to be liking posts on Twitter, hes just not posting.

bw50505

TVNWZ

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I miss txagkuwait. He has not posted in over four years. Always had interesting and informative takes.

VapourTrails

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 am

Quoting BNE (Reply 118):
A few years ago I heard of the passing of MX5_boy,

Also just recently another a.net member thadocta has died.

Thanks for this. I had forum conversations with Mx5_boy on here, after Ansett's demise in particular. He worked for them IIRC, and I think he was the member who also had a real genuine fear of clowns!

Thadocta I remember cause I got flamed by him, once, or maybe twice.

Memories. RIP guys.

L-188

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:06 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):

He said a year or so ago he was going back to university (in BOS) to get his MBA. I expect he's too busy to post.

Good for him!

Quoting sccutler (Reply 31):
Also, the often-bizarre moderation policies have served to drive away many of the best-informed and most-mature participants.

Yeah there were a lot of people who IMHO were unfairly culled from the website after Johan sold it.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 31):
To be blunt, when you are accustomed to dealing in the real world, being subjected to cyber-silliness is just more trouble and insult than the limited satisfaction that the conversation delivers.

Yeah it does get old.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 72):
Yep. You've never been ripped until you have been ripped by ANCflyer back in the day

True, Still have him as a friend on Facebook.

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 80):
KROC?

Same as ANCFLYER.

Both of those BTW where those forced out after DM took over this site.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that I was allowed to stay.

Quoting 777way (Reply 82):
Where is Superfly? havent seen him post in quite a while.

Got him on Facebook too!

Quoting jbo (Reply 102):
and there were a number of more "vocal" long-time members who had their memberships permanently banned,

It was NOT the moderators or this websites finest hour.

VapourTrails

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 am

TNboy aka Bill, and Wirraway, were valued members back in the day. Anyone know how they're doing?

[Edited 2016-04-26 03:43:12]

aviationbuff

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 am

I miss KarelXWB. Hope he is fine and return soon, Any info about him will be appreciated

Adipasquale

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Quoting aviationbuff (Reply 124):
I miss KarelXWB. Hope he is fine and return soon, Any info about him will be appreciated

I think somebody said earlier he is still posting elsewhere, so hopefully Karel is just taking a break from a.net (as most of us do from time to time), and will be back at some point in the near future.

poolkeeper

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Checked the WEB a bit and it looks like he is working on at least one open source project (FriendsOfSymfony/FOSElasticaBundle).
Saw at least one commit to github from him today.

Can it be that he actually has a life outside airliners.net 

Airliners.net can be like a drug that eats your time. Maybe he just needed a break to do other stuff.

aviationbuff

Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 125):

I think somebody said earlier he is still posting elsewhere, so hopefully Karel is just taking a break from a.net (as most of us do from time to time), and will be back at some point in the near future.
Quoting poolkeeper (Reply 126):
Checked the WEB a bit and it looks like he is working on at least one open source project (FriendsOfSymfony/FOSElasticaBundle).
Saw at least one commit to github from him today.

Thanks

Quoting poolkeeper (Reply 126):
Can it be that he actually has a life outside airliners.net 

May god bless him

kurtverbose

Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 pm

I miss KarelXWB. Hope he is fine and return soon,

Yup.

TheRedBaron

Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 am

Thanks guys !! I was worried, happy trails KAREL !!!

TRB

SVJ77W

Fri May 06, 2016 3:48 pm

I am really glad Karel is okay. Was getting really worried myself and came across TheRedBAron's message on the A350 Production post and found my way here. Glad he is okay. phew!

ualcsr

Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 am

I haven't seen a trip report from abrelosojos for some time. I really enjoyed them. Any news?

Ytraveller

Thu May 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Quoting UALCSR (Reply 131):
I haven't seen a trip report from abrelosojos for some time. I really enjoyed them. Any news?

When AC launched DEL, abrelosojos posted that he was on the inaugural. I asked him if he would post a TR and he said "Perhaps" - unfortunately he hasn't yet.

[Edited 2016-05-26 08:13:21]

ualcsr

Thu May 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks for the update ytraveller!! I wonder if he's still living in Venezuela given all the problems there. Hope he posts soon!

BlueShamu330s

Sat May 28, 2016 8:40 am

Quoting UALCSR (Reply 131):

You could always send him a PM..!