Heavierthanair
Topic Author

A Net Being Slowed Down By Ad Servers

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:01 am

G´day

My work PC is a "German" version and for some days now it gets slowed down by what appears an ad server. Typically the message "waiting for dm.demdex.net" is displayed for some 3 minutes before Anet connects to the topic requested.

My private PC is "Italian" and it does not have that problem.

http://www.cookiecert.com/cookies-for-airliners.net

Any mods that can address that problem please

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

gulfstream650

RE: A Net Being Slowed Down By Ad Servers

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 am

This website is sadly going downhill due to ad saturation.

A.net on my iPhone is now a complete waste of time due to the never ending pop ups.

Sad and annoying.
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 am

I agree that this is an issue, but this should really be in Site Related.

That said, I agree with the OP. I accept that as a non-First Class member I see adds, but the extent to which these are yielding the site almost unusable is unreasonable.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Heavierthanair
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am

G´day

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 2):
I see adds

The crooks of the whole thing is that even after that 3 to 5 minute wait there is no advertisement. Whatever "dm.demdex.net" does I have no idea, except for making the site rather useless

http://www.cookiecert.com/cookies-for-airliners.net

No cheers this time

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

BlueShamu330s

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 am

I'm in complete agreement.

A.net on my iPad is no longer enjoyable; click on a thread and up pops an ad, click on unread posts and up pops another ad which sends the thread back to about 14 hours ago and the window resizes.

Arrrrggggh !

I know I'm lucky to be on grandfather rights, but this is really alienating me from the forum, sad to say.  

Rgds
Flying around India

777ER
Head Moderator

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Sadly this is a problem the Moderator's can't control. Sounds like to me this issue with the work computer could be due to your works security settings? Mobile devices are impacted more with the ads then desktop/laptop computers. I use several computers (including very secure work computers) and never have any issue with ads preventing me from fully using a.net and I only leave one computer always logged in which is my personal laptop

Quoting gulfstream650 (Reply 1):
A.net on my iPhone is now a complete waste of time due to the never ending pop ups.
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 2):
That said, I agree with the OP. I accept that as a non-First Class member I see adds, but the extent to which these are yielding the site almost unusable is unreasonable.

Have you considered using a First Class membership to avoid this? I always leave my account (First Class due to the Crew status) signed in on my tablet but never use it on my iPhone due to the screen size
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

flood

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Quoting gulfstream650 (Reply 1):

Yep, welcome to airliners.net:

Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
Have you considered using a First Class membership to avoid this?

Ironically, the ridiculous level of advertising makes me consider first class membership less. The advertising just leaves a sour taste in my mouth... it's kinda like being bullied to pay a premium.

777ER
Head Moderator

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Quoting flood (Reply 6):
Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):Have you considered using a First Class membership to avoid this?
Ironically, the ridiculous level of advertising makes me consider first class membership less. The advertising just leaves a sour taste in my mouth... it's kinda like being bullied to pay a premium.

Keep in mind we are not able to control the level of advertising that impact our members. How do you prevent ads on your main computers? Do you use software like adblocker or change the settings on your control panel to prevent the majority of ads? You basically can't control those things yourself when using a mobile application. The First Class option does include a software in your membership that blocks those ads when logged in. This is the reason why I keep my username logged in on my home computer. I don't need to remain logged in at work cause of the security software work uses.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

sphealey

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 7):
You basically can't control those things yourself when using a mobile application.

Respectfully, presumably you can control the full-page popovers suggesting that I install the airliners.net application that appear over the forums (and can't be dismissed on iOS/Safari if you made the mistake of being in the middle of a resize gesture when the add pops), when (1) I have the app installed (2) the app isn't useful for reading the forums anyway.

Also, the ads that display an [x] control but actually redirect to the advertiser's page when the [x] is touched should be reported to your ad network as violations of TOS.

sPh

wilco737

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 am

It has been said many times now, if you see an inappropriate ad, then make a screenshot (as above) and send it to [email protected] and they will forward it.

That's all we can do about it. We do not have anything to do with advertising at all. It is all handled by DM.

Thanks.

wilco737