RE: Report The Bugs Here (Part 7)

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:48 am

More!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/finklejag/1_zpsa2dbbaec.png

jetwet1

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 145):
Demand Media have again informed me that no Premium accounts should be seeing the pop unders so if you're no longer seeing them then the code has worked and hopefully it will stay that way from now on.

Paul, I don't want to come across as being rude, but from a members perspective, if Demand Media told you that the sky was purple, and a whole bunch of the membership told you it was blue, you would report here that the sky is indeed purple ?

I know that you are in a bad position with this whole thing, but right now one of the best websites on the net is going out of it's way to drive paying members (a hard enough thing to find as it is) to other sites. The membership here has been amazingly kind and is sticking it out, but how much longer will they do so ?

wilco737

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 152):
Paul, I don't want to come across as being rude, but from a members perspective, if Demand Media told you that the sky was purple, and a whole bunch of the membership told you it was blue, you would report here that the sky is indeed purple ?

I have many and long chats with Paul about the whole situation and he does all he can do. When people tell him the sky is blue he forwards it to DM and when they tell him: the sky is purple, then there is not much he can do. He can tell DM again that the sky is blue. What else can he do?

I understand your point very well.

I know that you are in a bad position with this whole thing, but right now one of the best websites on the net is going out of it's way to drive paying members (a hard enough thing to find as it is) to other sites. The membership here has been amazingly kind and is sticking it out, but how much longer will they do so ?

I hope a.net stays the best website. I am a user for over 10 years now and many years part of the crew.

We can only hope that we have many loyal users who trust the ad blocker to get rid of that.

Malware should be reported with screenshot directly to the support team ([email protected]) as DM don't want that as well.

Regular ads will stay, as Paul mentioned earlier in the thread. It is DMs call, not ours or Pauls...

Thanks for your feedback.

wilco737

ramprat74

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/finklejag/2_zps87246636.png

D L X

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 153):
Regular ads will stay, as Paul mentioned earlier in the thread.

Does that include pop-up or pop-under ads?

wilco737

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Quoting d l x (Reply 155):

I don't know. I am not in contact with DM. Paul is here the guy to ask.

Malware definitely shouldn't be accepted and forward to support.

About pop ups. I don't know.

wilco737

Maverick623

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Malware should be reported with screenshot directly to the support team ([email protected]) as DM don't want that as well.

Sorrynotsorry, but if they truly had an interest in preventing malware and browser hijacking pop-unders, they wouldn't be on the site for a month, even for non-members.

I understand the moderators and coordinators have to toe the company line, but that should not include posting outright lies on their behalf, especially when you're not even getting paid to do it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

wilco737

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 157):

Sorrynotsorry, but if they truly had an interest in preventing malware and browser hijacking pop-unders, they wouldn't be on the site for a month, even for non-members.

As I said, I don't know what their policy is. I only got the information that malware is not acceptable and should be reported to be removed.

I understand the moderators and coordinators have to toe the company line, but that should not include posting outright lies on their behalf, especially when you're not even getting paid to do it.

Well, accusing us that we only tell lies is not very nice and I find that offending and as well disappointing.
I spend a lot of time online and do what I can and so do others.
We can only forward the information we receive...

Right, we do this as volunteers, and usually we enjoy doing it.

We moderators (and all other crew members) don't have anything to do with ads or any other company decision. This is ALL done by DM.

So please do not blame us...

Thanks.

wilco737

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:34 pm

We can only hope that we have many loyal users who trust the ad blocker to get rid of that.

Hi Phil - I think you know, we'd all happily deal with an issue now and then. But constant issues for 5 years or however long it's been? Some of them very major, like losing photos in the DB?

What else can he do?

I don't know. But like it or not, Paul (and the rest of the crew) is the liaison between the membership and DM. That's obviously the way DM wants it, so those are the only people to whom we members can vent our frustrations.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

wilco737

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 159):
I think you know, we'd all happily deal with an issue now and then. But constant issues for 5 years or however long it's been? Some of them very major, like losing photos in the DB?

I am not happy about these issues as well. I am as much affected as everybody else.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 159):
don't know. But like it or not, Paul (and the rest of the crew) is the liaison between the membership and DM. That's obviously the way DM wants it, so those are the only people to whom we members can vent our frustrations.

Yes and no. We crew do not have direct contact to DM. It is all via Paul.

Sure, the community need to vent and that is perfectly understandable. This thread was supposed to be for bugs. The ad itself is no bug, it is some other member issue. But we accepted it and let it be open so that DM can read it and see themselves about the frustration which is going on.

We have always been open to critique and constructive criticism. But some of the posts we had to delete didn't do anybody good ad all. They were neither helpful nor properly composed.

The decision about ads and all other major decision are only done by DM and not by the crew.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear. But I am out of options myself. We can only hope that DM is listening and change or better remove the pop ups and pop unders.

Thanks.

wilco737

garnetpalmetto

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 pm

What else can he do?

Put up a fight about it rather than come back to us hat in hand saying "Well, I'm sorry but DM says the sky is purple and there's nothing more I can do." Unless DM is hellbent on devaluing a major portion of their portfolio (which I doubt), a solid presentation demonstrating that members are growing increasingly irritated (to the point of leaving the site) by malware pop-unders, a refusal to invest in updated language, subpar forum software, and other things that members and former crew have complained about time and time again might do some good. As it is, his description of what's going on to the members-at-large make it sound like he's perfectly content toeing the party line pushed by DM that the sky is, indeed, purple.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

SoJo

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello SoJo,

Thank you for the feedback and I can understand why you're seeing them when not logged in as the site assumes you're just another visitor until you're logged in. May I suggest you remain logged in and that way you won't see anything.
Quoting SoJo (Reply 140):
Hello SoJo,

Thank you for the feedback and I can understand why you're seeing them when not logged in as the site assumes you're just another visitor until you're logged in. May I suggest you remain logged in and that way you won't see anything.

Well Paul, I have one thing to say to DM. Thank you for screwing up my computer and allowing me the privilege of
paying the first class subscription so you could do this. You told me to stay logged in to avoid this. Yet other probs
on this site requires people to log out/log in to solve other issues. I have been contacted by Microsoft to change
my password and that I have been hacked. I feel really pleased that thanks to DM I have to go through this. If I
can help them in the future please let me know as I love being able to pay for getting stuffed.

[Edited 2014-09-10 13:40:44]
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 160):
Sorry if that is not what you want to hear. But I am out of options myself. We can only hope that DM is listening and change or better remove the pop ups and pop unders.

No problem Phil - I understand the crew relationship to DM. But for the general membership, they will complain to the crew.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 160):
This thread was supposed to be for bugs.

Here's a bug:

I just, literally 5 minutes ago, started seeing those stupid mouse-over-link ads in the forums. You know, the blue double-underlined ones that First Class members (and Premium?) aren't supposed to see.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

817Dreamliiner

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 163):
Here's a bug:

I just, literally 5 minutes ago, started seeing those stupid mouse-over-link ads in the forums. You know, the blue double-underlined ones that First Class members (and Premium?) aren't supposed to see.

Just got this as well....
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

D328

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 pm

I just got it too... Annoyed and makes it hard to read...

PITingres

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 pm

I just, literally 5 minutes ago, started seeing those stupid mouse-over-link ads in the forums.

Here too. Dark blue, too, almost impossible to see, and they seem to be on random phrases.

On the good news (so far) side, after staying away entirely for several days, I decided to take a peek and I haven't had any pop-unders yet. I had cleared cookies in the meantime, but I did that before without any effect, so I don't know what if anything changed. We'll see if it stays that way.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

IADCA

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 166):
Here too. Dark blue, too, almost impossible to see, and they seem to be on random phrases.

On the good news (so far) side, after staying away entirely for several days, I decided to take a peek and I haven't had any pop-unders yet. I had cleared cookies in the meantime, but I did that before without any effect, so I don't know what if anything changed. We'll see if it stays that way.

Ironically, I'm seeing these blue underlines in the OP (moderators) post as well as just about all others. It's almost as annoying as the additional tabs that were opening last week with aggressive ads. Please make it stop.

DM, if you want to have a serious aviation site, you shouldn't have roll-over ads like this is some general-news content mill. If you want a general news content mill, then enjoy the continued decline.

lpdal

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm sorry, but enough is enough. If I keep seeing ads while I keep paying for this First Class service then DM will be hearing from J.P. Morgan and Chase Bank, Bank of America, as well as my attorney. You're promising a service and not rendering it. That is against the law in many countries, including the one I reside in.

-LPDAL

[Edited 2014-09-10 15:10:49]
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Newark727

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm

The blue in-text ads are deeply annoying and seem to be cropping up everywhere now. Demand Media should stop inflicting them on us if at all possible.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm getting them too. Paul, is this another attempt by DM to monetize the site by either "encouraging" everyone to get a premium or first class membership or subjecting all others to advertising content?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 170):
Paul, is this another attempt by DM to monetize the site by either "encouraging" everyone to get a premium or first class membership or subjecting all others to advertising content?

Not sure how it would encourage a paid membership. I'm a First Class member, and I'm still seeing the blue links.

If anything, it would encourage me to end my membership.

scbriml

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 170):
Paul, is this another attempt by DM to monetize the site by either "encouraging" everyone to get a premium or first class membership or subjecting all others to advertising content?

Probably not, given they're seeing the links as well.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ryan h

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 pm

I am getting those blue links too.

I am using Mozilla Firefox with ad block installed, and they have so far gotten through it.
South Australian Spotter

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 pm

I am in the middle but I get to see the communications from DM and even though Premium accounts pay for a username and posting rights they also should see advertisements of which many members block by using AdBlock and such. DM have tried their absolute best to ensure that Premium accounts don't see these pop unders, more than once. I'm merely relaying the information they provide as best as possible.

That said I am also relaying the communities feedback daily and DM are fully aware of this thread and have read it so they're aware of the community sentiment towards such advertisements. But DM are doing their best to ensure Premium accounts son't see them. We've deliberately left this thread for advertisements even though it should be for bugs so they can see just what the members are saying and how they are feeling about the pop unders.

Quoting d l x (Reply 155):
Does that include pop-up or pop-under ads?

Yes it does as the decision to remove them is up to Demand Media management and they're indicating that they will stay. If it is a malware advertisement then we'll ask for it to be removed and they usually do.

The moderators are not lying and have no say whatsoever as to what advertisements appear or not, nor do I except to get malware removed and convey community sentiments towards them. Again it's up to Demand Media and they've informed us the pop unders are here to stay at this point in time. As Wilco noted you can't blame them and nor should you.

I take your complaints to Demand Media and do our best to ask for a solution. That they have been trying to block the advertisements for Premium accounts shows they're listening to some extent and they're trying to do something about it. Even though those accounts should see advertisements so they are trying to minimise it for paid accounts it just doesn't appear to be holding for some reason. So I've informed them again that it's not working and am awaiting their response.

Quoting garnetpalmetto (Reply 161):

I am putting up a fight for it. Premium accounts pay to see advertisements and as mentioned I've convinced Demand Media that no paying account should see the pop unders. They've responded by trying to ensure that is the case and it appears to be working for some accounts just not all. More work will need to be done by them.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 164):
Quoting LPDAL (Reply 168):

That is a new bug and First Class accounts should not be seeing them and I've already gone to Demand Media to ask that they resolve the issue as soon as possible. It's up to them now to resolve it. Premium accounts will see them as they pay only for a username and posting access.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

GEG

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 174):
Premium accounts will see them as they pay only for a username and posting access.

That is a shame, the mouse over ads are completely ruining the experience. I surely don't want to click them nor do I want to try to figure out what word the dark blue is obscuring. It is beyond frustrating to try to navigate around them as so many words are underlined. UGH   
I have no idea what I'm doing...

Jetlagged

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

First Class accounts

I would argue Premium members should not see them either. Adverts outside the central forum space are fair enough, but things which disrupt the forum experience for paid members are unacceptable. If you insist we should see them then at least make the underlined text more readable. Dark blue over a blue backgound is very hard to read.

If you are going to put adverts in the posts themselves, as this is, then it will put people off using the forum.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

IADCA

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Premium accounts pay to see advertisements and as mentioned I've convinced Demand Media that no paying account should see the pop unders.

While I appreciate your effort, Paul, I can't imagine anyone on this site wants to pay to see advertisements. The amount of absolutely ridiculous (and utterly irrelevant) clutter that this site generates is simply unacceptable for a site that intends to be a source of actual trustworthy information and news. While I recognize that ad blocking programs help, I can't think of any other topical/industry site that I use that requires me to use third party ad blocking software in order to make the page remotely comprehensible.

In addition to putting the burden of use on customers - which is a huge no-no in customer relations, it is also not something users can do if they are not on their home (or other owned) computer.

I also find it rather incredible that nobody from DM is willing to come on here and talk to the customers themselves, instead placing you as a middleman and apparently hoping that we'll temper our views simply because we might otherwise feel we're abusing an innocent victim. I think it's time that someone point that out and call time on that charade. I'm happy to be that person. As you appear to be the sole mouthpiece of DM on this site, I will - and encourage others to do the same - treat you as their direct agent unless one of them deigns to show up and actually face their customers. I can't imagine that will be tremendously fun for you given the evident attitudes of several longtime members on this thread.

Please be aware that your site has competitors and you also face significant market leakage from people who simply are too fed up with your site to patronize it any more, regardless of whether the services of those competitors are precisely parallel to those of a.net.

I must also point out that, though I again don't fault you, your message reads to Premium Members (at least this one) as extremely condescending. If the attitude towards Premium Members is to make the site so irritating to use that they will upgrade to a monthly membership, I think you might find that the optimal way to get more revenue out of existing customers is not by angering them with your present services. Similarly, the best way to get new customers is probably not to present an essentially unusable product and then tell them that it MIGHT be actually usable (and possibly still ad-riddled) if they agree to pay a monthly fee.

Good luck.

AeroWesty

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Premium accounts will see them as they pay only for a username and posting access.

A cursory search of this forum brought up a thread from 2008 where we once had the underlining issue:

Red Underlined Words In Posts (by Olympus69 Aug 18 2008 in Site Related)

Being not logged in, as not having paid a membership of some sort, was the cause. I could go back further or search other threads to see of there's something official from someone, but as crew titles disappear when folks resign from their positions, it may not always be obvious which are official crew communications about the subject, and which aren't.
International Homo of Mystery

bcworld

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Now even the column headings on the forum listing are ads...unbelievable!

mariner

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 169):
The blue in-text ads are deeply annoying and seem to be cropping up everywhere now. Demand Media should stop inflicting them on us if at all possible.

They've just started for me today, and they make some things completely un-readable when they come in the middle of text. My old eyes can't handle that bizarre blue - luminous indigo?

But DM are doing their best to ensure Premium accounts son't see them.

I guess that a "fail" then. LOL.

Paul, I fully understand your position and I'm sorry you;re stuck in the middle and copping the flak. I understand DM's position, too - presumably they want to maximise their revenue.

Okay, fair enough, but there has to be a better way because if I can't actually read text - or if it is an interrupted journey - then I don't know what the point of the message boards is.

mariner
aeternum nauta

817Dreamliiner

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 am

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that Demand Media is making a complete joke of us, the users of this site. If they can't manage the site properly they need to sell it to someone who can, because we as paying members, especially the First Class members should not be subjected to this! I can understand the normal banners ads, but all these pop ups ads, redirects and now this blue underlined thing is not acceptable!!! I'm actually wondering if they are actually listening, sure Paul says they are, but are they really? It doesn't seem so...
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:25 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 177):
I also find it rather incredible that nobody from DM is willing to come on here and talk to the customers themselves, instead placing you as a middleman and apparently hoping that we'll temper our views simply because we might otherwise feel we're abusing an innocent victim. I think it's time that someone point that out and call time on that charade. I'm happy to be that person. As you appear to be the sole mouthpiece of DM on this site, I will - and encourage others to do the same - treat you as their direct agent unless one of them deigns to show up and actually face their customers. I can't imagine that will be tremendously fun for you given the evident attitudes of several longtime members on this thread.

Hi, as noted Demand Media management are aware of this thread and if they were going to engage in the discussion they would and for all I know they may well yet do so but I doubt it. I'm prepared to continue the discussion and if they leave it to me to convey their message then so be it. If you want to express your point of view to Demand Media then I'll be the person they would expect to receive such feedback.

Quoting IADCA (Reply 177):
I must also point out that, though I again don't fault you, your message reads to Premium Members (at least this one) as extremely condescending.

That was not my intention and I apologise if you read it that way. I was merely highlighting that Premium accounts pay to receive a username and posting rights. Nowhere does it say that Premium accounts are not to see advertisements like First class accounts.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 178):
Quoting bcworld (Reply 179):
Quoting mariner (Reply 180):

Hi Mariner

Thank you as always for reporting in an objective manner and the issue of the blue in text advertisements should be fixed as of now so that First Class members no longer see them. I was informed of that fix as I was writing this.

Thanks and regards

Paul

IADCA

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 182):
I was merely highlighting that Premium accounts pay to receive a username and posting rights. Nowhere does it say that Premium accounts are not to see advertisements like First class accounts.

What use are a username and posting rights if the page is so covered in ads as to be unreadable? Since you can pass things on to DM, you might point out to them that this isn't eHow: it's not a blind-leading-the-blind basic information site on how to pull up your underwear without falling over that's essentially a read-only page consumed by people driven through by search engines. It's designed to be an interactive, user-driven community. If you considerably inhibit the Premium Members, who generate a good deal of that content, you're just harming your own value proposition.

Of course, I suppose a company with a stock price 75% off its one-year high and 90% of its 5 year absolutely has its stuff together regarding who's driving and consuming its content. Yep, of course.

mariner

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 am

Thank you as always for reporting in an objective manner and the issue of the blue in text advertisements should be fixed as of now so that First Class members no longer see them. I was informed of that fix as I was writing this.

Abracadra! Fixed - at least for me.

Thanks Paul.

mariner
aeternum nauta

AeroWesty

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:50 am

Nowhere does it say that Premium accounts are not to see advertisements like First class accounts.

I will do some further research on this issue. I vaguely recall something other than the thread I linked to regarding Premium accounts not being subject to the underlining scheme when that first rolled out eons ago.
International Homo of Mystery

opethfan

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 am

I'll be blunt: no website that I visit (and that occasionally includes ones designed to share... lewd media) has quite the issue with advertisements that a.net seems to. I understand the need to pay for bandwidth, hosting, etc. But blue underlined links, popups on almost every link I click, the prior history I had with Android popups suggesting my phone had a virus, etc. 4chan isn't quite as obnoxious, and all of their ads disappear after making a payment. I've given this site money, which is more than I can say for almost any other site on the internet, yet it seems so bad now that if I weren't running Linux I'd suspect that I was infected with some very nasty malware.

vikkyvik

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 185):

I will do some further research on this issue. I vaguely recall something other than the thread I linked to regarding Premium accounts not being subject to the underlining scheme when that first rolled out eons ago.

I thought so too, but couldn't find anything in a very brief search.

Anyway, the underlined links are gone for me. Thanks Paul.

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:22 am

Is the new policy that grandfathered members will see the new blue ad links that very literally completely ruin the site experience? I still see them as of now, when they are apparently gone for other members. If so, that's a pretty disgusting way to treat longtime members who are the foundation of this community, though I can't say that any abrasive DM decision surprises me any longer.

Plainplane

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:48 am

Regardless of membership level, the blue underline text and popups are wholly unacceptable to be appearing to any site visitors on photo searches and photo content pages, especially on the front page of this website. I have always been A.net exclusive with my content, for years. For the first time I must confess that these new intrusive advertisements are seriously making me consider otherwise.

Revelation

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:39 am

I'm having a hard time understanding how all of these very ornate alterations to the content are being described as bugs, i.e. something not intended by the owners of the web site. Don't they control the content they are providing?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Newark727

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 am

By the way, there's still a bug I'm getting in Safari where I get logged out when loading the main civil aviation forum. Which if you're viewing without an account, has a completely different set of in-line text ads in addition to the blue ones that were just added. I suppose the idea in that case is to make the site so unpleasant to read as an unregistered user, that you have to get an account, but frankly I think it may just cause viewers to leave.

I estimate that I've experienced this bug on and off for over a year.

edit: just to clarify what I'm talking about. I feel like that may discourage savvy internet users as it makes the site look so much less reputable.

[Edited 2014-09-10 20:54:02]

N243NW

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:14 am

Quoting IADCA (Reply 183):
Of course, I suppose a company with a stock price 75% off its one-year high and 90% of its 5 year absolutely has its stuff together regarding who's driving and consuming its content. Yep, of course.

I am starting to suspect that many of these recent "bugs" aren't bugs at all, but rather desperate attempts by DM to generate some emergency ad revenue in the wake of its recent stock tumble. Especially because we're but a small island in the vast empire of websites that DM owns, and they are aware of (and taking advantage of) the loyalty of many members to the site, no matter how miserable their user experience becomes.

As a grandfathered Premium member of 11 years, I know I may not seem to be of much value to the site (after all, a one-time payment of $25 isn't much). But after having contributed almost 300 photos, over 25 of which have been featured on the homepage in the last 18 months or so (including photos of major events and breaking airline news that undoubtedly helped drive traffic to the site), I know I'm not the only one who's feeling like we've provided much more to A.net than simply our membership dues.

I know that many of us, blinded by our loyalty to and love of the site, have made empty threats of pulling the plug in the past, but I can honestly say that for the first time I'm disappointed enough to consider uploading my photos to other websites from now on. With the rise of enthusiast groups on Facebook, as well as other social media and communications tools now at our disposal, it's just getting more and more frustrating and draining to see these problems not only continue, but grow in severity.

The blue text issue is the most recent blunder in a series of many. There are so many best practices in advertising, community management, coding, programming, communication, etc. that are being ignored. And I wonder how much of this is simply because management is spending so much time treading water and trying to keep the company afloat that they're too busy to tend to the "smaller" issues here.

As much as it pains me to say, I wonder if this is the beginning of the end...especially in light of DM's major corporate woes.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

bcworld

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 191):
I suppose the idea in that case is to make the site so unpleasant to read as an unregistered user, that you have to get an account, but frankly I think it may just cause viewers to leave.

People may of course (wrongly) assume that signing up for a premium membership may eliminate these annoyances as that is of course how the vast majority of reputable forums work. Non paid up members of course cannot even be aware of this discussion because they are not even permitted to read the Site Related forum...can anyone give me a legitimate reason for this? I'm sure plenty of them reading this thread would decide against signing up for that premium membership after all!

bcworld

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:29 am

Logged in premium member here, once again getting:

http://i58.tinypic.com/349fls1.png

Answer me this. These ads are being generated by some entity DM are selling advertising space to...correct? And that relationship continues to exist despite the fact that entity is trying to commit fraud? Correct?

opethfan

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:54 am

Quoting bcworld (Reply 194):

The better question is - when a site delivers this kind of content, should they be trusted with your credit card or PayPal information? Not to mention if they deserve it.

spacecadet

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:26 am

Quoting N243NW (Reply 192):
I know I'm not the only one who's feeling like we've provided much more to A.net than simply our membership dues.

Grandfathered members are the ones who provided, and continue to provide, much of the content that made the site what DM deemed worth buying in the first place. Without grandfathered members, there'd be a lot less reason for *anyone* to come here and see the ads DM is now trying to force down everyone's throats.

Anyway, this is bush league stuff. I feel like it's 1999 and I'm looking at a Tripod or Geocities web site. It's frankly pretty unbelievable, and I'm about finished with it. I'll be back when these "bugs" are fixed.

I certainly would not trust any site like this with my payment info now. Who knows what's infecting the site at this point. I don't even really feel safe browsing here anymore.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

CplKlinger

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:40 am

Answer me this. These ads are being generated by some entity DM are selling advertising space to...correct? And that relationship continues to exist despite the fact that entity is trying to commit fraud? Correct?
THIS

Quoting Opethfan (Reply 195):
The better question is - when a site delivers this kind of content, should they be trusted with your credit card or PayPal information? Not to mention if they deserve it.
AND THIS

I'm just going to stick around and watch the carnage. Demand Media is driving what was once a great site off the cliff.

shufflemoomin

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:44 am

Serving up malware and having posts littered with unreadable, underlined ad words? I'm more than happy for a site to cover its costs with ad revenue, but only when it's done in a safe and unobtrusive manner, which this clearly isn't. You're saying if I don't want to this, I should pay for a premium membership, yet this thread is littered with people who have paid their money and are repeatedly bothered with the same thing. I've been coming to this site for a long, long time but I think it's time to start looking at alternatives.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:26 am

Thank you I shall ask for the removal of that advertisement and sorry you saw it.

Answer me this. These ads are being generated by some entity DM are selling advertising space to...correct?

That is correct the advertisements are coming from a third party.

And that relationship continues to exist despite the fact that entity is trying to commit fraud? Correct?

Yes they still have the relationship but it's the aggressive pop unders which we ask for removal of which are flagged as malware which degrade the experience for you. Demand Media are not trying to commit fraud of any sort and would not do so.

should they be trusted with your credit card or PayPal information?

Your credit card and PayPal account information is safe and Demand Media cannot do anything with it. The member controls the payments and Demand Media can only accept what the member instructs.

Not to mention if they deserve it.

Whether they deserve it or not is solely up to the members of the site and those who wish to join. If new members start to decline and existing members leave then perhaps that might get their attention.

Thanks and regards

Paul