Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcworld

RE: Report The Bugs Here (Part 7)

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 199):
Demand Media are not trying to commit fraud of any sort and would not do so.

And I did not suggest they are...which is clear from the text you quoted.

But what DM are doing, is continuing to engage with an advertising entity who DM KNOWS is seeking to defraud DM customers...yes, they do know. Malware citing non existent infections or security problems ultimately intended to get DM customers to get their credit cards out is fraudulent. Rather than remove the advertiser, policy seems to be to remove individual URLs...which recent history has shown is entirely pointless as they will simply be replaced with new ones.

longhauler

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Just do what I did.

Bring up a pop-up window, click on the question mark, select "opt out" and bingo ... the blue underlines are gone.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Braniff747SP

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 201):

Just do what I did.

Bring up a pop-up window, click on the question mark, select "opt out" and bingo ... the blue underlines are gone.

I was about to post this.

They're all gone (but it's cookie based, so it might need to be reenabled on occasion).
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

KBUF

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Just do what I did.

Thanks for the fix, worked like a charm.   Seeing that its' cookie-based, hopefully they'll stay gone.

Now if we just could find a way to get rid of the pop-up ads... they're completely unacceptable in general, let alone when you're a paying customer.

Revelation

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 192):
I am starting to suspect that many of these recent "bugs" aren't bugs at all, but rather desperate attempts by DM to generate some emergency ad revenue in the wake of its recent stock tumble.

You might be on to something.

Quoting N243NW (Reply 192):
Especially because we're but a small island in the vast empire of websites that DM owns, and they are aware of (and taking advantage of) the loyalty of many members to the site, no matter how miserable their user experience becomes.
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/airliners.net tells you that a.net is a small island, period. However it also tells you that time spent on the site is dropping...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

hkg82

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Can I just get a clarification from Anet staff that these annoying blue links, in addition to being removed for paying members, will also be removed for non-paying members as well? I actually have a grandfathered account.

These kinds of ads are very annoying and completely disrupt one's browsing of the site.

Thanks,

Hkg82.

[Edited 2014-09-11 07:50:23]

Tugger

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Quoting KBUF (Reply 203):
Now if we just could find a way to get rid of the pop-up ads... they're completely unacceptable in general, let alone when you're a paying customer.

There are effective blockers available for the various browsers that take care of the pop-under and pop-up problem.

I am fine with display ads and in general things that are passive but when advertising practices ruin/detract from the experience, ability to read posts cause windows to open that I did not specifically direct, I work to find a solution. And sadly I think sites lose money because of this, poor advertising policies damage all sites.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Asturias

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:30 pm

(sigh) the idea of allowing context sensitive ads (blue underline ads) is a very misguided one. I can only speak for myself, but it means I'm less inclined to visit a.net and certainly out of the question to pay ransom to get rid of them.

These things break a cardinal rule of unobtrusive advertising on websites, namely: don't interfere with the content itself. It feels doubly as dirty when that content is user generated.

I strongly encourage you guys to drop these types of ads, permanently.
Tonight we fly

JimJupiter

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 160):
Sure, the community need to vent and that is perfectly understandable. This thread was supposed to be for bugs. The ad itself is no bug, it is some other member issue. But we accepted it and let it be open so that DM can read it and see themselves about the frustration which is going on.
Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 174):
We've deliberately left this thread for advertisements even though it should be for bugs

Well, members have opened several threads about the whole issue in the Site Related Forum, which all got deleted very quickly. Where else are people supposed to discuss this?
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

D L X

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 174):
Quoting d l x (Reply 155):
Does that include pop-up or pop-under ads?

Yes it does as the decision to remove them is up to Demand Media management and they're indicating that they will stay. If it is a malware advertisement then we'll ask for it to be removed and they usually do.

That's a real shame. I will be searching a way to block all ads because of this. What a money-grubbing site this has become!

Quoting Opethfan (Reply 186):

I'll be blunt: no website that I visit (and that occasionally includes ones designed to share... lewd media) has quite the issue with advertisements that a.net seems to.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Can I suggest making links that have https in them clickable in the forums (that is if its possible). It really annoys me when people post links and don't remove the s in https, especially in IE.
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

Revelation

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 206):
There are effective blockers available for the various browsers that take care of the pop-under and pop-up problem.

If you use Firefox, I recommend NoScript. It's default settings are too heavy but once you turn them down (hint: go to add-ons and try to disable NoScript it will offer a less intrusive global mode that lets you turn off sites one by one) it's a godsend for this site (in particular) and many others. A side benefit is that pages load faster when you don't go off and fetch all the spam code that we're being told is unintended. I understand that ads pay for the site to a great extent, but the issue is that intrusive ads are so bad they're throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 164):

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 163):
Here's a bug:

I just, literally 5 minutes ago, started seeing those stupid mouse-over-link ads in the forums. You know, the blue double-underlined ones that First Class members (and Premium?) aren't supposed to see.

Just got this as well....

It started appearing about 24 hours ago in my case.

GEG

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I am also noticing very slow load times and 4 times this morning I am getting "This page cannot be displayed". Is this related to the blue underlined ads or something else?
I have no idea what I'm doing...

vikkyvik

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting GEG (Reply 213):
I am also noticing very slow load times

Me too, since yesterday. Sometimes takes a refresh to get a page to appear.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting GEG (Reply 213):
I am also noticing very slow load times

Same here. A couple of times I've also had the message that the forum was down or something of that kind.

T8KE0FF

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm

I know it's already being discussed but I find the site now impossible to read with these blue underlines. I'm colourblind and I find it literally impossible to read the text underlined in blue against a.net's blue background. First the pop-ups and now this... Kinda sad seeing a website I once cherished becoming worse and worse as the weeks go on.
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4 AT72

PlaneHunter

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I have been noticing slow load times for more than a week. Posting a trip report was a pain recently, as I have already said earlier. Very disappointing performance.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

Vasu

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Not possible to hover if you're using a tablet! Worked on my Mac though...

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Quoting GEG (Reply 213):
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 214):
Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 215):
Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 217):

Hi All,

The developers will be doing some maintenance on the site between 5pm and 6pm today to address the issue. You may find that the site will either be very slow then or a down for maintenance sign will be put up. This should hopefully address the performance issues.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

GEG

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:14 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 219):
This should hopefully address the performance issues.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Thanks Paul!

tan1mill

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 207):
(sigh) the idea of allowing context sensitive ads (blue underline ads) is a very misguided one. I can only speak for myself, but it means I'm less inclined to visit a.net and certainly out of the question to pay ransom to get rid of them.

These things break a cardinal rule of unobtrusive advertising on websites, namely: don't interfere with the content itself. It feels doubly as dirty when that content is user generated.

I strongly encourage you guys to drop these types of ads, permanently.

If these blue underline ads are not removed, I will request that my photos be removed from this site. I find it appalling that the very words I typed in the remarks field of my photos are now being turned into advertisements. This site may be owned by DM, but those photos are still mine, and if this site is not going to host them in a respectable and professional manor, I will find another site that will. Ads are one thing, but when my words BECOME your ad, it's personal.
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

Wingtips56

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:50 pm

I hadn't seen a pop-under today until now. I just logged out and then logged back in again. I instantly got a pop-under and continue to get the underlined unreadable blue text with add popups. Right clicking on the question mark didn't do anything. (I'm in Chrome and Windows 7.)

So, I'll live my life just fine without a.net. Maybe I'll check back in after some time to see what it's like. But I don't need the aggravation and I'm not at all comfortable that my computer and I.D. will remain safe if I stay with a.net and these unacceptable issues.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

Mortyman

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:59 pm

If the blue underlined adds are indeed malware, I expect DM to remove it entirely from the site. No member, wether they are first class or not should have to deal With such bull ! Been a member for over 8 years ... This site is going to shxx ... Very sad 

mariner

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:44 am

Having had a fairly good day yesterday, today is a bit of a festival of bugs.

I load the site - I gets blank (white screen). I reload a couple of times- I get the page. I click on a thread - I get the white page. I reload - I get the page.

It took me five reloads to get to this of this page for it to appear. I wrote the post and hit preview - blank screen. I tried again - blank screen. I'll keep trig, but it ain't easy.

I made a post in civ-av. It showed on the main page that I am the last poster- but there was no sign of my post in the thread until I had closed down the internet and restarted my machine. Lo - it was there.

It's ain't easy.

mariner

EDIT: I've just gone to civ-av to check the post for spelling and lo - it has gone away again.

[Edited 2014-09-11 17:51:09]
aeternum nauta

lpdal

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:53 am

26 users logged (or "checked in") as of now...That seems to be an all time low. Even the Civil Aviation forum is slowing down, and it's the most active subforum on this site.

Quoting d l x (Reply 209):

See my homepage in my profile.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

VirginFlyer

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:42 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 219):
The developers will be doing some maintenance on the site between 5pm and 6pm today to address the issue.

What time zone please? Could you give it in UTC?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

BestWestern

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 am

As a long term user of this site, it's gone to the crapper of late, especially now with the blue underline advertising on totally random words.

Also, can someone please switch off that annoying download the app advert on android.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:58 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 224):

Hello Mariner, the site maintenance has been done so that should hopefully make the site perform better for you now.

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 227):

Sorry for not being clearer but it was Pacific time and it's now completed.

Thanks and regards

Paul

KingFriday013

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:55 am

Chat is broken.

-J.
Will add later

kanban

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:11 am

Funny I had a problem with the blue underlining a few years ago, and found the problem came from something attached to a game my grand kids downloaded.. with it having as broad an impact I would guess there is another cause.

BestWestern

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:11 am

As I'm on an iPad, that's not the issue.

Interesting to note that it has highlighted airliners from airliners.net in blue above.

Looks so amateur and bottom of barrel scraping form of advertising. Pathetic

By the way, Clicking on the blue text advert automatically cycled me through 16 website addresses and landed me eventually on an Asian dating website. I've just found the love of my life it seems. I just need to give my credit card details. It opens on the same page as airliners.net also.

[Edited 2014-09-11 23:20:17]
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Doona

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 228):
Sorry for not being clearer but it was Pacific time and it's now completed.

The blue underlining is still showing up.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

lpdal

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:44 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 160):

Phil, does the crew see these blue pop unders? I'd imagine it would be hard to moderate the content of posts if you can't even read the text within them....I logged out and I tried to read one of my reports: US Airways Envoy Suites First Class FLL-PHL-MCO (by LPDAL May 20 2014 in Trip Reports) with the blue text ads and it strained my eyes so much that I subsequently got a headache and had to take an Aspirin.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

hkg82

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Yes the blue-highlighted advertisement links are still there. They are even noticeable in Photographer Administration. Just ridiculous.

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 233):

LPDAL,

no we don't see them when logged in as crew. The crew accout is the same as a First class account, so ad free.

But what we did see for a short time were the blue underlined ads. But they are gone for me.

I can imagine it makes reading difficult and not good that it gives you a headache. I hope DM removes them   

wilco737

JRadier

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Just to check, should people with a Premium Account see them?

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 236):

A premium account is NO ad free account. That would only be First class.

Here the descriptions for the 3 accounts we have:

"Free photographer account:

Photographers upload photos can enjoy a free membership.
   This membership includes:
   Access to the Aviation Photography forum
  An Airliners.net profile
   Creation of photo albums"

Now the premium account:

"If you are only interested in a username for the discussion forum and chat, we offer a less costly Premium Membership.
This membership includes:
   Username
   Posting access to all discussion forums
   Exclusive Airliners chat"

And now the first class account:

Fly Airliners Ad Free - No banner ads or pop-ups!
  VIP Access to the Most Active Aviation Forums in the World - Unlimited post and read access to all forums including our live chat feature.
   View photos in full splendor without watermarks! - As a First Class member you get to view the original photograph."

As you can see only First clas membership shows "NO BANNER ADS OR POP- UPS".

wilco737

yakima

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm

You are losing me as a user. I find ignore posts with the blue underlined stuff in them.

Cheers.

GEG

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 237):
VIP Access to the Most Active Aviation Forums in the World

What is the VIP access?

These blue lines are killing me...

I can see paying for first class to avoid ads but I should not have to pay so I can read posts without having words obscured with blue underlining.

DM would subject new potential customers to this either. If I went to a site and it looked like this there is no way I would pay to join it. I am also getting occasional messages that there is a script that is not running or hanging up on here.

[Edited 2014-09-12 09:07:31]

[Edited 2014-09-12 09:08:42]

[Edited 2014-09-12 09:09:52]

pvjin

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I really don't get who on earth would want to advertise anything this way, nobody is going to buy stuff/services that gets advertised in such a harassing manner.

Quoting GEG (Reply 239):
I still cannot see why DM would subject new potential customers to this either. If I went to a site and it looked like this there is no way I would pay to join it. It just comes off amateurish

Me neither. Currently the site looks like a pile of rubbish that installs malware on people's browsers. Wouldn't be surprised if it actually does that to be honest. So far adblock has done quite good job preventing me from seeing most shady ads here, however it doesn't seem like there's a way to block these popups with it.

[Edited 2014-09-12 09:14:51]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Quoting yakima (Reply 238):

Always sad to see users leave, but I can perfectly understand that decision.

Quoting GEG (Reply 239):

What is the VIP access?

No clue. I guess it sounds more important than it is 
Quoting GEG (Reply 239):
hese blue lines are killing me...

Yes, they make reading the forums very very difficult. Tried it not being logged in and some of the words you need to actually guess to see what is meant. Horrible.

wilco737

pvjin

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Hmm actually I now had a success with adblock... I clicked the popup and managed to block it, I still see those annoying blue words but I'm not getting actual popups anymore.

This makes the experience somewhat tolerable.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 242):

This makes the experience somewhat tolerable.

A very positive way to describe the situation...   

wilco737

Oykie

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:57 pm

I have some trouble viewing Airliners With the blue ad-Words. It is still here on all my devices.

I would also like to be able to skip the "download airliners.net" app Commercial when I am on my phone. I really do not use airliners.net primarely for photos, but for both photos and the forum. I spend most of my time in the forum and not looking at pictures. So downloading the app does not make a good experience for me. Sorry for just telling about bad Things. I still like airliners.net and the members here, but on the Tech side it seems airliners.net has some issues.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

flyingturtle

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I am very willing to pay a.nut a yearly 3, 4 or even 5 dollars per year. It's not much, but still probably more than a.nut is generating in advertisement revenue - on a per-user basis.

If a.nut is not abolishing these annoying ads, I will introduce some ads into my own postings. I'll generously link to porn, malware, Nazi, and other sites.   

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Scorpio

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 pm

So, just to be clear: are these blue underlined 'ads' here to stay, or are they going? Just so I know what I need to do: stay or go.

I don't know of any other slightly self-respecting message board that pulls crap like this. A new low!

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 246):
So, just to be clear: are these blue underlined 'ads' here to stay, or are they going?

All indications from Demand Media management is that they are here to stay but you can turn them off like several other members.

Just do what I did.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 202):

Just do what I did.

I was about to post this.

They're all gone (but it's cookie based, so it might need to be reenabled on occasion).

I'm running a few Premium accounts and it worked on those so you should be able to remove them.

Thanks and regards

Paul

spiplane

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Photo counters stopped?
A380 fan

VirginFlyer

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:25 pm

For some reason, if I try to follow a link directly to the 6th post in a thread (for instance if that is what is linked to under "X unread: Jump to first"), it doesn't work, but only scrolls the browser to the details bar on the thread starter. Posts other than the 6th seem not to be affected by this:

Report The Bugs Here (Part 7) (by moderators Aug 19 2014 in Site Related)

I'm using Chrome, but the problem is replicated in Firefox (but not Internet Explorer). I seem to recall having this issue on Safari when I used a Mac in the past, but I've only just now noticed its connect to the sixth post, so I can't confirm if it was the same thing.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh