Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

S75752
Topic Author

A.Net Flagged?

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:37 am

Just now when refreshing an A.Net page, Firefox popped up an alert saying it had been for some reason flagged as an attack site by Google.

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=https://www.airliners.net/

Glitch?

moo

RE: A.Net Flagged?

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 am

Chrome is also showing it - doesn't surprise me with the malware issues people have been having as of late with A.net and their ad networks...

thaiflyer

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 am

Same here Google Chrome blocked site as malware infested.

NZ107

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am

Experiencing the same here too.. And the same goes with some friends.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

Scanorama

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 am

Google Chrome blocked it too, I'm accessing A.net through my iPhone.

Pihero

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 am

Same here. What to do ?
Contrail designer

Ryan h

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:54 am

Yes me too.

Got the attack site warning from firefox.
South Australian Spotter

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 am

Hi All

This appears to be related to a link in a forum thread which will need to be removed. I've informed Demand Media and it's not too long until they'll be in the office and able to look into the matter.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Buyantukhaa

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for www.airliners.net

What is the current listing status for www.airliners.net?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.
Quote:

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 1576 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 8 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-10-05, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-10-03.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including rren.ch/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including wild1.net/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS62650 (DEMANDMEDIA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, www.airliners.net did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

PHX787

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Wow, so it's actually come to this. The ads are what causes this. At least that's what Google Adsense says.

http://i62.tinypic.com/6tp9xf.png
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

jetwet1

Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Take a paid subscription based website, load it with malware, what will the results be ?

I mean, come on,seriously demand media, this is a niche market you've managed to buy into, and now you're going to drive people to other sites.

yowza

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:11 pm

I think we've all noticed the "changes" in the site over the years. It might be time to think about an overhaul instead of finding new and creative ways to cram more revenue generation into the existing template. I gather from the above that a malicious external link appears to be at fault in this case but there have been numerous other things in play that have made visiting the site less and less pleasant over the years.

I for one will not be back until the warning goes away.

Cheers and good luck!
YOWza

flymia

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Getting it as well. Even when I click on user profiles the small window is a big red do not enter danger page.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

817Dreamliiner

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:40 pm

And this site has hit a new low... Will Demand Media now learn to stop adding these stupid malware infected ads?? Sadly I doubt it...
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

werdywerd

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:05 pm

I understand that sites need to generate revenue to pay for servers, and other overhead. But airliners.net has been going about it all wrong and this is the outcome. They always like to blame "Demand media" but they know exactly the type of advertising which they allow demand media to us on this site. They chose to go with they type of advertizing that makes them the most $$ while inconveniencing PAYING MEMBERS. Yes we are all paying members, not only first class.
I would not have a leg to stand on if there was truly free membership, but when I paid my $25, that allowed me to voice my opinion.
Please let this be a wake up call for the site oweners/admins.

timpdx

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Staying away until this is resolved. Demand Media is putting $$ ahead of users...who paid. Yeah, capitalism is about making a buck, but this goes a step too far and puts users at risk for real harm. A step too far.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

iFlyLOTs

Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:29 pm

I get the warning on Firefox and chrome. I was fine with the pop-unders we had to deal with but this is getting a little rediculous.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

readytotaxi

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Site Cred has taken a serious knock people, the brand is tarnished, such a shame.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BlueShamu330s

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:08 pm

This really is becoming the last straw.

What has happened to a.net?

It has gone from being a safe, enjoyable platform for aviation enthusiasts and those working in the industry to share, chat and inform.

Along comes a buy-out from a company more focussed on turning a.net into a commercial operation for profit and we end up with incessant and irritating adverts, blue highlights, unstable performance, malware alerts and crashes, plus issues with iPads and top contributors being unable to post trip reports despite numerous attempts to do so etc.

It really beggars belief that a fabulous site like this can be ruined so completely.

I think we all share the same enthusiasm and regard for a.net, but these occurrences are becoming too regular to make the site enjoyable anymore.

I've been a member for 13 years and never has the site been so unreliable and unpleasant to navigate; I can't even post when I'm using Safari.

For shame.  

Rgds
Flying around India

wjcandee

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Guys, FWIW, Google makes clear that the site isn't HOSTING malware.

From Google Q&A:

"Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days."

What does seem to have happened is that a link (probably related to the zillions of ads) resulted in 8 malware pages being served to Google:

"What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 1576 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 8 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2014-10-05, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2014-10-03.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including rren.ch/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including wild1.net/."

This makes sense, because I was surprised myself over the last few weeks occasionally to have found pages trying to do stuff that Norton blocked when I was on a.net.

I don't think that some of the comments about the demise of a.net, or about there being some evil capitalist changes to the site, have any merit or basis in reality. All this tells me is that the site operator "professionals" need to do some housekeeping, and maybe take some precautions that they are not taking, or have a talk with their ad-serving service. So, everyone take a deep breath and chill while they fix it.

ualbq200

Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 19):
What does seem to have happened is that a link (probably related to the zillions of ads)

I think this wouldn't be as much a problem if Airliners.net didn't shove ads in people's faces (even after they've installed an adblocker).

Just my two cents.

cageyjames

Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Just today my company's firewall is blocking a.net with a "not allowed to browse this malicious url".

Way to screw things up for all of us.

jetblue1965

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 pm

don't wanna sound critical, but frequently when i browse A.net on my iPhone, it automatically sends me to the app store for some random games

jcwr56

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 7):

Until an official notice is sent out to all paying members, that the issue is resolved and safeguards are in place. I'll be staying away from here.

Professionally, I don't need to be on this site.

garpd

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 pm

It's all these stupid pop up ads and those adds that cause words to be made into links and show pop ups if your mouse goes anywhere near them.

The site has been slowing getting infested with ads since that for profit company bought it.

[Edited 2014-10-06 11:55:07]
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Spacepope

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting cageyjames (Reply 21):
Way to screw things up for all of us.

Quoted for truth.
The last of the famous international playboys

rcair1

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 13):
And this site has hit a new low... Will Demand Media now learn to stop adding these stupid malware infected ads??
Quoting ualbq200 (Reply 20):
think this wouldn't be as much a problem if Airliners.net didn't shove ads

It was a link in a forum post.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 19):
I don't think that some of the comments about the demise of a.net, or about there being some evil capitalist changes to the site, have any merit or basis in reality.

Thanks.
BTW - support folks are volunteers - we do this to support the community.
rcair1

lollyj

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 pm

For a fix of the blue highlights, just hover your mouse over the highlighted word and click the question mark, then you can disable the highlight function. It's a cookie that the site installs on your computer so you just need to disable it.

GuitrThree

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 26):
It was a link in a forum post.

Well that's all well and good. However, when I go and make a forum post where I call iPhone 6 buyers who are rushing out to stand in line for a stupid phone "Sheepole," the post gets taken down in 15 minutes because it might offend someone. In this case, the moderators have to contact Demand Media and wait for them to get into the office to delete the offending post. Utter BS excuse if you ask me. Seriously, A.net is know for all kinds of forum post deletions for any little rule violation, but they can't take one down that contains malware without the approval of the corporate office? Who are you trying to kid?

Here is the proof:

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Reply 7):
Hi All

This appears to be related to a link in a forum thread which will need to be removed. I've informed Demand Media and it's not too long until they'll be in the office and able to look into the matter.

Thanks and regards

Paul

[Edited 2014-10-06 15:28:35]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 28):

Hello,

It was an old forum post which got flagged and we would not be able to remove it even if we wanted to due to the way the deletions work thus the need for the developers. They also needed to scan the entire site and contact Google to remedy the situation which they did as promptly as they could. As of now all is back to normal and the offending post was removed.

Please report any further instances in the bug thread should you encounter them.

Thank you

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible