Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Why Does This Site Hate Spaces In Usernames?

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 am

When I joined this site, I couldn't think of a good username - I freely admit that. So I went with the codes of the carriers I'd worked for over the years. Simple, right?

Well, for some reason this site has ALWAYS made it difficult to even look up a member with spaces in their username, let alone IM them or even add them to your RU list.

So why is that? And what's being done to correct it?

Sincerely,

The guy who decided to call himself EA CO AS not knowing the site couldn't handle spaces
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

D L X

RE: Why Does This Site Hate Spaces In Usernames?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:16 pm

When I joined this site, I came up with the absolute most perfect username. I freely admit that.

But yeah, it's a simple SIMPLE bug that I've complained about for at least a year. It can be fixed, but the powers that be simply respond to my requests saying "it is not a priority."

Well, after a year, "it is not a priority" becomes "we just don't care about that problem that only affects you."

Sorry for the rough talk, but it is true. EA CO AS and I have been unable to receive PMs from any other user for at least a year. So, the problem doesn't just affect the two of us. It affects everyone who wants to communicate with us privately. I really wish someone would address this. I can help, if you like! I can point you to the exact page that is causing the problem.

Quoting EA CO AS (Thread starter):
The guy who decided to call himself EA CO AS not knowing the site couldn't handle spaces

It used to work fine. Also, I sent you a PM a few days ago, using my workaround.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:10 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):
It used to work fine. Also, I sent you a PM a few days ago, using my workaround.

I know, I was shocked when I saw an incoming message for the first time in I don't know how long! I tried responding in kind and couldn't; probably user error on my end....  

[Edited 2015-10-29 01:19:40]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

notaxonrotax

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):

When I joined this site, I came up with the absolute most perfect username. I freely admit that.

So why didn't you use it??

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):
it is not a priority.

I would love to see a list of things that are actually being worked on at present.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 pm

So why is that? And what's being done to correct it?

Computers and computer systems in general does not handle spaces/certain characters in
file/user names very well or not at all. So it usually recommended to avoid using spaces
in file names or usernames. Some websites registering systems will automatically
give you an error or warning if you try to sign up using a username with a space in it.

Quoting Oregon State University:

Spaces in File Names

Generally, in the computer science and IT worlds, it is typically frowned on when files,
web addresses - or really any kind of programming at all - are named with spaces inside of the title.

The reasoning behind this is very simple. Empty space signifies the "end" of a character string.
Spaces inside of a URL or a linked file basically generate a faulty syntax that the server reads
as the end of a character string. The server sees "the end" and stops processing. When the
full string is not processed, it can not be properly represented on your computer screen.

also read this: http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm

[Edited 2015-11-04 08:32:12]
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:07 am

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 4):
Computers and computer systems in general does not handle spaces/certain characters in
file/user names very well or not at all.

I understand that. However this site handled it reasonably well (it would automatically enter underscores or %25 between the letters and be readable) until just a few years back; now, many features of this site are simply unavailable to me. I'd actually change my username if I didn't have to reset all my statistics (post counts, time on site, etc).

N1120A

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:24 am

The site could initially handle spaces. I think they ended not long after you joined. When I joined about 2 years after you, spaces weren't allowed anymore.

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):
Well, after a year, "it is not a priority" becomes "we just don't care about that problem that only affects you."

Sorry for the rough talk, but it is true. EA CO AS and I have been unable to receive PMs from any other user for at least a year. So, the problem doesn't just affect the two of us. It affects everyone who wants to communicate with us privately. I really wish someone would address this. I can help, if you like! I can point you to the exact page that is causing the problem.

Indeed, there are probably 50-100 or so active members who have this problem. That is not insignificant. They should fix that.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

csturdiv

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 3):
I would love to see a list of things that are actually being worked on at present.

More than likely the list contains new ways to squeeze in more ads and more annoying ads into the site and nothing more than that.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

D L X

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:45 am

Really? No community rep weighing in on this issue?

CplKlinger

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 7):
More than likely the list contains new ways to squeeze in more ads and more annoying ads into the site and nothing more than that.

AdBlock Plus is your friend. Blocked 95% of them on it's own, and then I can use it to get the rest. I've paid for a username, so I don't get why they still think they can slap more and more ads on the page.

D L X

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Another 3 months passed. Will a community rep please weigh in on this?

Moose135

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 10):

Don't worry - the new forum software will fix all problems...

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Would you spend hours and dollars on repairs for a car that was hanging behind a tow truck, heading for the junk yard? Add to that the few members that acually are affected? Out of 220.000 users approx 300 have a space in their name, that's 0.15% of the user base, so should developer hours be used for the benefit of 0.15% of the users or 99.85%? We do care about the 0.15, but it's also a case of putting the resources to work where they benefit most.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

jetmatt777

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:54 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 10):

I received your Private Message, and of course could not respond to it directly because of the site bug. I know how frustrating it is, but I must agree with John quoted below. The process is well under way for a site upgrade, and it is wiser to spend developer hours on getting the new software built and tested, instead of fixing repairs that will be useless in just a short amount of time when the new website is powered up.

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 12):
Would you spend hours and dollars on repairs for a car that was hanging behind a tow truck, heading for the junk yard? Add to that the few members that acually are affected? Out of 220.000 users approx 300 have a space in their name, that's 0.15% of the user base, so should developer hours be used for the benefit of 0.15% of the users or 99.85%? We do care about the 0.15, but it's also a case of putting the resources to work where they benefit most.

Also, D L X, please in the future contact us directly at the support email box. I can't speak for the other support staff, but I can tell you that I receive push notifications on my cell phone of all emails sent to the box. So, I receive them the instant they are sent. We are down to well below 24 hours response time, and in many cases we have responses and resolutions to issues within minutes or even a few hours. Also, we can have an email record of the correspondence as private messages are not available to be seen by other crew members.

Thanks
Matthew

D L X

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:49 am

Would you spend hours and dollars on repairs for a car that was hanging behind a tow truck, heading for the junk yard?

This tone is quite alarming, saying "your problem just isn't important enough to respect."

This problem (and a solution!) has been on your, JohnKrist's, plate for almost two years.
Can't Receive Private Messages Anymore (by D L X Apr 10 2014 in Site Related)

I even offered to fix it for you.

Just how far are you going to drag that car behind a tow truck before you realize you're not actually heading towards a junkyard?

Out of 220.000 users approx 300 have a space in their name, that's 0.15% of the user base, so should developer hours be used for the benefit of 0.15% of the users or 99.85%?

With all due respect, you're incorrect. You made the same incorrect argument last time, and as I said then, it affects every single one of the users because none of us is able to send a PM to anyone with a space in their name. Or an underscore, or countless other punctuations that were once allowed.

Indeed, one of those members was jetmat777, see below:

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 13):
Also, D L X, please in the future contact us directly at the support email box.

First, I was unaware of a support box. Support had been through the Site Related forum for a very long time. But as you can see, what better way to alert you to the ongoing problem than to show you directly how it affects us?

Either way, you say that the problem is daunting, and this software is going away, but I've actually already identified what you need to do to fix it. The sendmessage.main page just needs to convert the spaces to "%20" instead of stripping them.

It worked for almost 20 years. I don't know why it was changed.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Or we could do what everyone else does, remove the spaces from your username since those are not allowed anymore. Or just require that all with spaces in their username register new accounts. But we haven't, and the work on a new site has top priority so we won't fix the issue in the current system, that does not mean we do not care about your issue, we do. I can't even promise it will work in tje new forum.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:18 am

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 15):
Or we could do what everyone else does, remove the spaces from your username since those are not allowed anymore.... But we haven't

Why not? It should be an easy enough fix, correct?

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:20 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 14):
Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 12):Would you spend hours and dollars on repairs for a car that was hanging behind a tow truck, heading for the junk yard?
This tone is quite alarming, saying "your problem just isn't important enough to respect."

I'd point out that by not correcting this issue, you're diminishing the customer experience and saying you're ok with that.

If there were a way for me to even just remove the spaces from my username and retain it, along with my time on site, post counts, and so on, I'd have done it long ago.

Don't blame the user for a problem we did not create.

D L X

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:29 am

Or we could do what everyone else does, remove the spaces from your username since those are not allowed anymore.

That would be a solution! Why don't you do that?

Or just require that all with spaces in their username register new accounts.

Non-starter. My photographs are tied to an existing account, which by your rules, I have earned.

the work on a new site has top priority

I've offered multiple times to fix it for you. Why don't you take me up on my offer? (I used to do this for a living, ya know.)

that does not mean we do not care about your issue, we do.

Your condescension in your last post was pretty damn disrespectful. Add in your two year delay and your belittling our problem, and it's pretty safe to say you do not care.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:13 am

Well, at this point nothing will be done about it in the old platform. And the solution you provided might not have been possible to implement. Also, we do not have an army of developers, we have to prioritize issues that affect the entire site with the limited resources we have.

And this is my final answer in this thread.