Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a3xx900
Topic Author

Ads, Again...

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 am

I know this has been discussed before, and I am sorry to bring it up again.

BUT now the ads are even blocking the pictures when opening the large version, so that you cannot see the whole picture.

Please, PLEASE change that.
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

flyingturtle

RE: Ads, Again...

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:12 pm

People have hugged me after I pointed out that there are adblockers.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

wingman

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 pm

What I'm getting today is movement of the main screens. As I write this message the large text block is moving left and right, up and down, I thought I was having a stroke. Please make it stop.

Ronaldo747

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:55 pm

This is indeed annoying, and we have paid for this?   

bralo20

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:41 am

Quoting wingman (Reply 2):
What I'm getting today is movement of the main screens. As I write this message the large text block is moving left and right, up and down, I thought I was having a stroke. Please make it stop.

Same here, please make it stop, it's incredibly annoying, irritating, frustrating, etc... Quite pissed about those ads        

Finn350

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:40 am

I get a very annoying ad that starts playing a video on the background (with sound!) and the moves the content window down to give the ad full screen. Extremely annoying.

lufthansi

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:08 am

This is the biggest aviation photo site on the net. It has all the latest news. Like the new ANA logo jet. Can't find it? Well it's hidden somewhere between the ads. To honor the photographer and his work. To me the site looks like sale on Walmart. Good job!

https://picload.org/image/wwoailc/bildschirmfoto2016-03-26um09.4.jpg

https://picload.org/image/wwoailp/bildschirmfoto2016-03-26um09.4.jpg

BTW: I'd reject this scam due to crop, motive, etc. Man we have ads in front of the pics! Don't tell me about ad blockers or I'll tell you about sites like jetphotos.net. I can watch the same photo over there without all that *#"# around.

A.net made itself only one out of many aviation sites. And it keeps on working its way down to the crappiest one.

[Edited 2016-03-26 02:09:27]
Life starts at take-off!

CplKlinger

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Quoting lufthansi (Reply 6):
BTW: I'd reject this scam due to crop, motive, etc. Man we have ads in front of the pics! Don't tell me about ad blockers or I'll tell you about sites like jetphotos.net. I can watch the same photo over there without all that *#"# around.

A.net made itself only one out of many aviation sites. And it keeps on working its way down to the crappiest one.

I know you don't want to hear it, but AdBlock Plus and Ghostery have made my web browsing as a whole much, much more pleasurable. So many sites are trying to push crazy ads and popups, it's worth the trouble. I went from getting popups on about 3/4 of sites to getting them on one. How that's getting around the blocker I don't know, but I can deal with it on one site.

Plus, if the ad server doesn't register your view, then Demand (all the cash) Media doesn't get paid. I paid my money for my membership a long time ago, so you got your money. The ridiculous cash grab with these crazy ads and ignoring all of the complaints of your users is shameful. I bet this site's founder is spinning in his grave with what you've done.

flyingturtle

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 7):
Plus, if the ad server doesn't register your view, then Demand (all the cash) Media doesn't get paid. I paid my money for my membership a long time ago, so you got your money. The ridiculous cash grab with these crazy ads and ignoring all of the complaints of your users is shameful. I bet this site's founder is spinning in his grave with what you've done.

Always remember how much er... little the websites get through advertising. Facebook earns 6.225 billion USD before interests and taxes. They have 1.59 billion users who are active at least once a month. They are the experts of advertising (and selling ad space) because they know their members so well - hobbies, locations, conversations, how they network with other people.

And they only get a measly 3.19 USD/year per user!

I would gladly pay between 5 and 15 USD/year to a.nut if they made it ad-free, tracker-free, improved the customer experience (e.g. whole threads get shredded just because of "Your contribution had to be deleted because it references a posting that has been deleted"), and a better board engine. And a better kind of messaging, please.

Until that day, my adblocker stays on. Everywhere.

David

[Edited 2016-03-26 07:20:35]

AirlineCritic

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:04 am

I do not think a.net needs to be ad-free.

I'd be HAPPY to see some relevant ads, and I'd gladly support a.net in this way as well.

But I do not think a.net can have annoying ads, and continue to succeed as a site. The annoying video background ads need to go. Now.

a3xx900
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:26 am

Quoting CplKlinger (Reply 7):
I know you don't want to hear it, but AdBlock Plus and Ghostery have made my web browsing as a whole much, much more pleasurable.

Unfortunately I cannot use any adblock app on my work computer, which is where I mostly use a.net.

And as AirlineCritic said: I don't mind seeing ads on this site, or any other site. But the way the ads are placed here is ridiculous.

And unfortunately, nothing seems to be done to renew the site, as the a.net crew told us months back...

wingman

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Quoting a3xx900 (Reply 10):
Unfortunately I cannot use any adblock app on my work computer, which is where I mostly use a.net.

That is a classic statement. I hope you're not a surgeon!

By the way, I think I'm still having a stroke, two weeks these windows have been floating across the screen. What the hell guys? Do the ads if you must but for love of the baby jesus can you at least do it professionally?

Ytraveller

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 pm

We can keep complaining, but they aren't going to do anything with this site till the upgrade. Just see all the past ad threads and how no moderators have commented.

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:40 pm

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 12):
We can keep complaining, but they aren't going to do anything with this site till the upgrade. Just see all the past ad threads and how no moderators have commented.

airliners.net belongs to Demand Media, which creates web content by paying freelance producers (e.g. a rather significant amount of Youtube videos are paid for by Demand Media), and then they reap the advertising income. Now I feel bothered about contributing to this forum, making it a more interesting experience for all forum readers (be they regular or coming via Google), and Demand Media earning advertising $$$ off my contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_Media

David

JohnKrist
Head Support

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 am

Ytraveller is right, the change comes with the new site layout. And no, we do not have a date for when that will happen.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

a3xx900
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:14 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 11):
I hope you're not a surgeon!

Nah don't worry. I'm an engineer in a nuclear power plant. j/k

diverted

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Quoting lufthansi (Reply 6):

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 13):

airliners.net belongs to Demand Media, which creates web content by paying freelance producers (e.g. a rather significant amount of Youtube videos are paid for by Demand Media), and then they reap the advertising income. Now I feel bothered about contributing to this forum, making it a more interesting experience for all forum readers (be they regular or coming via Google), and Demand Media earning advertising $$$ off my contributions.

DM is pretty well known for scraping the bottom of the barrel

Quote:
The company also owns eNom, the world's second-largest domain registrar, and as of 2013, the most abused/abusive registrar of domains used for spam email, according to URIBL
Quote:
Demand Media's business model is controversial because its "content farms" have been accused of polluting search engine results with spam
Quote:
Demand Media has attracted criticism from Internet watchdogs for being one of the largest buyers of articles and videos, often commissioning low quality articles to cut costs in an effort to mass-produce articles and videos to appear highly on Google search results,[36] purchasing thousands of search engine-driven content from low-paid freelancers to use on its websites to attract advertisers, such as Google AdSense's Simpli.[47][48]

Demand Media has also been criticized for its methods of accounting, such as capitalizing the costs of content and amortizing them over five years, giving them the appearance of profitability.[49]

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 14):
Ytraveller is right, the change comes with the new site layout. And no, we do not have a date for when that will happen.

Forgive us for feeling significantly less than optimistic on that one

AirlineCritic

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:40 am

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 12):
We can keep complaining, but they aren't going to do anything with this site till the upgrade.

I do not believe any upgrade is in the works. Look, the http/https thing hasn't changed in ten years, and that would have been a one line code change.

D L X

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 17):

I do not believe any upgrade is in the works.

There certainly isn't any evidence of it. Only talk and shutting down people that complain.