Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Indy

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Oh and another strike against this new design. Your post will not go through if another has been made since you started typing. Who thought up that horrible idea? You can't have a feature like that on a busy site. #designfail
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

kiwiandrew

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Indy wrote:
Oh and another strike against this new design. Your post will not go through if another has been made since you started typing. Who thought up that horrible idea? You can't have a feature like that on a busy site. #designfail

Agreed, it took me three attempts to get to post. Not good.

skiaplg

I like the new Forum, or the idea of a new forum. I preferred the old color scheme as this is quite hard to read - the darker blue background worked better. It feels totally washed out and bland. I also liked having more topics on each page of the forum.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to have somewhat of a refresh, as many features of the old forums were frustrating...

JohnKrist
Head Support

FlyPIJets wrote:
The photo search function has lost a lot of usability. Cant search by location, can't search by year of photo, can't search by aircraft type. Can't search by airline. That is awful. I mean if you have a site that curates aircraft photos, accessing those photo is something you should be good at.

Click advanced search in the upper right corner, default is basic
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

YellowRibbon

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Is anybody having a problem with uploading a background photo for their profile? Mine keeps on saying 'invalid file.'
He's coming right at us!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Oh noooo! I dare the owners to start a survey amongst users about which design they prefer. Why fix it if it ain't broken?

You could tell that the previous owner - Johan - truly had a passion for aviation and for the website. Now it's close to being ruined by a commercial business that seems to me like it doesn't care about aviation, only profits. Very sad development!

It was broken, unmanageable and we received numerous complaints about how bad and oldfashioned the old site was. This is v1, and we now have a platform we can develop
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Indy wrote:

Unfortunately that is standard for phpBB and many other forum software

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:23 pm

YellowRibbon wrote:
Is anybody having a problem with uploading a background photo for their profile? Mine keeps on saying 'invalid file.'

Does it comply with the size and measurement restrictions?

FlyPIJets

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Tried to update my email - email link back returned "The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error". "

Forums dropdown menu has no link to "site related" forum.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

c933103

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:25 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Indy wrote:

I used many other forums before andn none of that act like this, is that a new feature of phpbb?
Last edited by c933103 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

StuckinCMHland

sudden wrote:
These are not changes, but a whole new site. Not to say it's bad but a a question of getting used to.
But would have been nice to see some of the good old Anet shine through in the new version.
Was actually going to ask for a "Home" icon but found it when clicking AIRLINERS

Great post, only it is too positive. This is an awful change to the site and I may well stop using it very much. The old forums had such an easy way to post comments and log in, a great way to check spelling, and you could do it while easily looking at the thread or the comment you are responding to. In short it was a very functional site. This new site is just change for the sake of change, and much less convenient. the worst thing about it is the 'no post' message because some one else made a post. If I want to change a post after seeing another post I always thought that I could EDIT my post. I guess that's not an option anymore.

Internet sites are becoming more a pain in the neck than anything else. They are either redone solely for the sake of iphones or android devices, or they are just changed for the sake of change. I am very disappointed in the changes, there is nothing positive to make the user's experience better.

FlyPIJets

JohnKrist wrote:
FlyPIJets wrote:
The photo search function has lost a lot of usability. Cant search by location, can't search by year of photo, can't search by aircraft type. Can't search by airline. That is awful. I mean if you have a site that curates aircraft photos, accessing those photo is something you should be good at.

Click advanced search in the upper right corner, default is basic

Thanks - :D
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

redzeppelin

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm pretty sure that the "Followers" and "Following" lists on my profile page are reversed...

If nothing else, I need an option to increase the number of posts visible per page. 10 is beyond ridiculous. 25 or 50 would be a good start. Preferably more. I loved the way the old forum showed all posts and intelligently collapsed some. It was a very smart design. There are too many intelligent threads in this forum where it is necessary to look at several posts together to really understand the discussion. I smell a design driven by desire for high click rates and associated advertising revenue.

Another argument: There are plenty of threads that are mostly serious, but take occasional tangents of 10+ posts. It's nice to be able to see at a glance that the thread goes back on topic without having to click through 3 or 4 or 10 pages to get back to business. The new forum design will require significant effort from the moderators to keep it compelling.

Finn350

Thanks for the upgrade! I have been here only a few minutes. My general impression is that the new site is very responsive.

The old site was outdated. It is really good to see that you had the resources to pull the upgrade. Thanks for all the people who made it possible!

lhrnue

My web page is blastered with advertising which actually sits above the pictures and forum comments.

Indy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm

JohnKrist wrote:

It wasn't a part of phpBB2. I wasn't a feature of vBulletin either. At least not when I used it. Maybe it was something that could have been turned on but wasn't on by default. Airliners could have done this right by hiring skilled coders to redesign their existing site. They could have kept the same look and feel while allowing the site to morph into a more mobile friendly version for people on handheld devices. Unfortunately the design industry as a whole seems to lack the skill to make that kind of transition. It isn't hard to do when you know what you are doing but if entry level people or people fresh out of college are working on this sort of thing they won't have the skills necessary.

Airliners.net needs to go back to the classic version and rethink this strategy. Remember you aren't just redesigning your forums when you do this, you are also completely undoing your image. This website was your image. It was your brand. And with one poorly planned update years of history, a reputation, and an image was ruined.

Wingtip1005

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Indy wrote:
Your post will not go through if another has been made since you started typing.

Not a fan of this at all.

JohnKrist wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
This is v1, and we now have a platform we can develop

Fair play for a refresh, just takes some getting used to.

On your current platform, could you please bring back the stars and the singular page? The notification is nice! But I also enjoyed the different colour to the new replies.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change

KFLLCFII

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Photos took a big hit. The site doesn't even display the original-quality uploads anymore...It either compresses them to fit a slideshow, or "stretches" them beyond the original dimensions when "full-screen" is selected.

Might as well not even screen the photos anymore.
Last edited by KFLLCFII on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm

lhrnue wrote:
My web page is blastered with advertising which actually sits above the pictures and forum comments.

Can you please send a screenshot to [email protected],

tp1040

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Were they giving away free white space? There is lots of it.

Also, thread headers in red on a white background?

That is hard to read.

Maybe try something else.

ready5bird

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Sorry but to me...this is like a total waste of effort, totally uncomfortable to read with the new colors / layout and just endless bloody clicks. Further photo searching is lousy and overall responsiveness is slower and ram usage (firefox) is up for no real gain from same.

Went from a great site to probably a thing of the past for me as this in its present state is just unusable on a desktop / laptop. I don't really use a mobile for browsing however if it was aimed there then a specific mobile site would have been better.

What no "banghead" smiley? that is what this deserves!
HVAC...High Velocity Air Craft, oh well, one can dream.

CmteCessna

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Jesus....

They destroyed the originality of the site.

AirPacific747

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Oh noooo! I dare the owners to start a survey amongst users about which design they prefer. Why fix it if it ain't broken?

You could tell that the previous owner - Johan - truly had a passion for aviation and for the website. Now it's close to being ruined by a commercial business that seems to me like it doesn't care about aviation, only profits. Very sad development!

It was broken, unmanageable and we received numerous complaints about how bad and oldfashioned the old site was. This is v1, and we now have a platform we can develop

It wasn't broken. I suppose a new design like this could have potential, but many things will have to get fixed and the color scheme is very hard on the eyes. It's too bright. I much preferred the dark blue scheme of the previous website.

Tugger

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

A couple thoughts:
The header info at the top of each post is too large. It is not needed to repeat the thread title in really big fancy font (as opposed the reply/post font style) every time. It adds nothing to the discussion and simply takes up room on the page.

Also seems to be missing team member titles?

More later I am sure.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

coolbeans202

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 pm

I mean this in all seriousness... I've been browsing around the site for the last 10 minutes or so and it's starting to give me a headache. It's causing way too much eye strain to read for any length of time.

This is very clearly designed for mobile (which I have no problem with), but there really should be some sort of desktop setting to make it easier to read.

CaptSkibi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Posting and formatting text is a lot easier, but there are a few things I certainly agree with and some things I'd like to add:
  • Color contrast is a lot worse. On my laptop screen, it's much harder to read. I need my big monitor. The desktop site is bearable on my tablet.
  • I miss the compact captioning on pictures. It takes way too much room below the picture to see the information. I can't even see the picture anymore if I want to read all of the info about the picture!
  • It looks like the site uses more data to look at, now. This could be a problem when I'm roaming!
  • Bring back the Queen of the Skies at the top!
  • It was a lot nicer when the forum discussion was on one page. The compact display was great when skimming a forum. If something new or important was in that first line, I could easily expand that post to read the entire thing. Please bring back that functionality and single page display!
Last edited by CaptSkibi on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

7BOEING7

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

To put it bluntly --this is a piece of crap. I have no intention of scrolling thru dozens of pages to find topics I'm interested in. What happened to favorites?

As for trying to reply to anything, it looks like you can only use a word or two or you've wasted your time unless the topic is next to death anyway.

Being retired i used to spend a lot of time on this site -- i guess i'll just have to look somewhere else, i don't have that much time to waste and this site is now a waste.

I'm going to miss you.

Indy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

OMFG.... you converted to phpBB3. Are you kidding me? That was probably the dumbest move in the history of Airliners.net. Do you have any idea what you just did? Probably not is my guess. You are now using an open source forum software. It is going to be so much easier for someone to hack and exploit. And the more modifications you make to the code and the more extras you add the more difficult it will be to find the security flaw. Trust me I've been there and I am a skilled coder. Undo this massive error while you still can.

Really bad guys. Really bad.

Redwood839

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:41 pm

I've been reading these boards forever but never posted but I appreciate the effort into this new site.

This is going to be like one of those "XX AIRLINE SHOWS NEW LIVERY" where everyone complains about it for a month and then gets over it. Let's give some credit into the people that worked on getting the new site on.

To be honest, I didn't dislike the old site, but it was ancient. The boards, and the home page had way too much info.

Thanks for all the work!

joeljack

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:42 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
alberchico wrote:
Is there any way to view all the post in a thread at once instead of having to constantly click to get to the next page ?

Seconded! It was so much more convenient to just have everything on one page.

I also miss the feature where you could just go to the last unread post (the newest post that you hadn't read yet) on a topic. That feature was immensely helpful for long threads that I was following. Could we please bring back that feature?

Absolutely....I echo every comment on this list. This was not an upgrade but a MAJOR downgrade of the site. As someone that has used this site many times a day for years....supper bummed!!! :(

Items to fix (Using a windows PC to view):
-Colors are EXTREMELY hard to read on a PC...hurts eyes.
-doesn't show you all the previous posts right there when responding on a thread. You must scroll through some time window at the bottom. Many times you want to reference other posts and you want it all there, nice and easy to see...no clicking, no scrolling.
-Can't see very many topics at a time....everything takes up WAY too much space.
-How in the world do you see the last topic that I viewed and where is the button to jump to last unread?
-within a thread, you can't see very many posts at a time because there is so much wasted space....you just end up with a ton of extra pages making view this site very time consuming and cumbersome.
-Looking at civil aviation thread, you can only see about half as many topics at a time or even less. :(
-within a typing window, you can't use tab. (just discovered as I was going to indent this list)

In summary, I look at several different forums, this one looks just like another one that I use that I just HATE and now barely use because of it. It just takes too long to have to click through everything. The beauty of the old site, it really minimized clicks which made it super easy to jump on for a few minutes, see what you haven't read yet and click through in a minimal amount of clicks.

What make it worse, the old site was the absolute best forum thread, view, post system in every forum that I have ever seen and now it just moved to the bottom of all possible thread formats.
All in all, very disappointed. I hope some of the changes a mention above are made fast of that everyone just decides to go back to the old system....the old page was AWESOME!!!!

mfranjic

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:42 pm

My first thought when I saw new Airliners.net site was:
´Oh my God … Oh my God! … Oh my God, and what have you done with our Airliners.net website? Disaster! Shame! Catastrophe!!

First, you should have asked members of the Airliners.net if something on the a.net website should be changed or added, and not to do what you did and then ask for the opinion!

Where is your common sense and respect for the members of the Forum?
Very bad, poor and miserable job by Demand Media!

Give back everything the way it was and let´s forget this happened!!

Image.

Mario
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein

murykken

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Don`t like it at all. :x :x
How do you expect someone to go through 1000 photos when they are so large and take a longer time to load.
How can we select the smaller size, as was on the previous site?
How do we look at the photos for the last 48 hours?
How do we select the number per page?

murykken

Indy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:46 pm

FYI your discussion navigation doesn't work right either. One minute it shows 9 pages and the next it shows 2.

JetboyTWA

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:48 pm

As a user and member of this site since 1999 (wow, 17 years?!), I must say the updates have removed all character that the Airliners.net brand had for over two decades. It's a generic hodgepodge now and could be mistaken for any other forum on the web. My eyes are strained from all of the white and gray (on a large desktop monitor even). Please consider going back to the classic version, or at least consider redesigning the forums.

tavong

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Really dislike it, the old site was way better, easier to navigate and the forum is harder to read.
Just put me on any modern airliner and i will be happy, give me more star alliance miles and i will be a lot happier.

Indy

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm

JetboyTWA wrote:
As a user and member of this site since 1999 (wow, 17 years?!), I must say the updates have removed all character that the Airliners.net brand had for over two decades. It's a generic hodgepodge now and could be mistaken for any other forum on the web. My eyes are strained from all of the white and gray (on a large desktop monitor even). Please consider going back to the classic version, or at least consider redesigning the forums.

It could be mistaken for any other forum because they are running phpBB3 which is what every other forum runs.

Flydude1063

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Honestly, I find the new forums rather hard to read after awhile. The white background is kind of harsh to the eyes after a few minutes of reading. I like the new format so far, but if the backgrounds were blue like they were (or a more eye friendly color) the site would be much easier to navigate through, and less of a strain on the eyes.

Just one mans opinion.

YellowRibbon

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
YellowRibbon wrote:

Does it comply with the size and measurement restrictions?

It's working now, thanks.
He's coming right at us!

JohnKrist
Head Support

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 pm

7BOEING7 wrote:
To put it bluntly --this is a piece of crap. I have no intention of scrolling thru dozens of pages to find topics I'm interested in. What happened to favorites?

As for trying to reply to anything, it looks like you can only use a word or two or you've wasted your time unless the topic is next to death anyway.

You can bookmark topics, and subscribe to them as well so you receive a notification when a reply has been made.
Bokkmarked topics you can find by clicking your username in the upper right corner, and choose "Control Panel" and then "manage bookmarks" under Overview. In there are also a lot of other forum settings. Number of posts per page is a global setting in the forum admin, and I agree 10 is too low.

airnorth

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Not a big fan at all. My favorite features of the last version were the Forums, very easy to see many topics at the same time. Starred topics super easy to find. Comments easy to scroll through. Great colours, easy to read.
The new version really sucks.
The good news is, I won't spend nearly as much time on this site.

New is not always better.

I think all that was really missing on the last version was a decent search function for the forums, otherwise, it was very user friendly, had a great searchable database for photos.

Yeah...so much bad about this I am not sure where to start....

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 pm

mfranjic wrote:
My first thought when I saw new Airliners.net site was:
´Oh my God … Oh my God! … Oh my God, and what have you done with our Airliners.net website? Disaster! Shame! Catastrophe!!

First, you should have asked members of the Airliners.net if something on the a.net website should be changed or added, and not to do what you did and then ask for the opinion!

Where is your common sense and respect for the members of the Forum?
Very bad, poor and miserable job by Demand Media!

Give back everything the way it was and let´s forget this happened!!

Mario

To be honest Mario, there have been discussions ongoing for a long time and I think it was JohnKrist who did mention that the
new forum would be a PhpBB forum (and it is).

Personally I think the changes are for the better. The site will work better on mobile devices and the old forums did have allot of
problems with the functionality, The colour scheme is perhaps not that appealing but that can be changed.
I too would prefer the Anet 1.0 colour scheme but the current technical platform.

I think the new Anet 2.0 will be very good once we get used to how it works and once the "teething issues" have been taken care of.
The old forum had too much problems, especially when you browsed on it via a mobile device.
Last edited by Thunderboltdrgn on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

jorge1812

moderators wrote:
Since 1995, Airliners.net has been the largest and most visited aviation site on the internet with world class photography, forums, and visitors.

Sorry if my post will be too negative on the new site. But this is my view.

I think that the great times of Anet as a leading page for aviation photography are over with the new site. I predict that many of the "famous photographers" will leave the site soon. Where are the copyright bars on the photos? Don't you think that they are important to most of the photographers (even when they can be cut out very easy) - this site is now more an aviation facebook than the first adress for perfect plane pictures.

I may be wrong or may not - time will tell.

P.S. writing on the iPad is not easy on this forum

slider

I'm not stodgy by any means and I know people generally resist change, but a few salient comments (most of which I echo other posters):

* ENOUGH WHITE SPACE. Good Lawd, the brightness is too much, too much empty space and the old format's darker background was VERY easy on the eyes. Eye strain being what it is, the older I get, the less time I want to spend on websites anyhow. This doesn't help.

* Compression of pages: way too much wasted space, not compact enough. Given the prolific number of topics in the Civil Av forum alone, it'll take days to wade through just cursory topics. And not having a STAR to indicate favorited or posted on threads stinks. The new format becomes an innate time eater.

* Username prominence: probably should be a little bigger or more readable. User name was such a strong feature and I think characteristic of A.net so I hate seeing this look like every other damn generic forum on the internet.

JetboyTWA

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Indy wrote:
It could be mistaken for any other forum because they are running phpBB3 which is what every other forum runs.

Shame... Even Reddit looks better. I just tried the photo search page. "Builder" should be changed to "Aircraft Manufacturer".... It's practically impossible to search by airline in an easy way (the dropdown was fine), and the photos don't display correctly.

Sorry guys - I understand that people can be adverse to change, especially after interacting with the site for such a long time, but Airliners.net held its own amongst other industry-related sites and now any differentiation is gone. This experience is way too vanilla (and might require a visit to the eye doctor for strain).

Someone please let me know when the site is fixed and I'll come back.
Last edited by JetboyTWA on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleA

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 pm

The only thing I'd like to say is could you please modify the photo search to make it a little bit easier to filter the photos? On the old site you could choose what year you wanted to see photos from, the specific aircraft, and what type of photos (I.E.: Dusk, Night, Dawn). Unless I just missed these features, it would be greatly appreciated if they were put back into the photo search, to help narrow down the amount of photos found.

c933103

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 pm

>scroll to bottom of the page
>Copyrighted by Demand Media
>Check WIkipedia
>Brought the site 9 years ago with several million USD
>Also own a number of other sites like ehow
Consider ehow's style, this move is probably expected from the very beginning...

Edit:btw, is it just me or is this post's page number bugged
Last edited by c933103 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

Theseus

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 pm

joeljack wrote:
The beauty of the old site, it really minimized clicks which made it super easy to jump on for a few minutes, see what you haven't read yet and click through in a minimal amount of clicks.

I agree with many of the above criticisms, but this one more than any other.
The old site was displaying a tremendous amount of information quickly. The new one displays almost only white space.

I am sincerely story for the effort that went into this, but this is really a huge downgrade.

jaybird

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm

The subscription fees we paid to be a First Class member - all gone?

As for the changes - it's the readability that's an issue for me .. small, gray font on a white background .. not the easiest on the eyes.

sk736

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Truly awful. I couldn't have imagined how bad this upgrade was going to be but seeing is believing. I'm finally giving up on what has become a truly awful site. GOODBYE, I won't be back.

casinterest

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 pm

This is going to go down as one of the worst moves Anet has made.

The usability of the forums was the reason for the success. While their are new features in this interface, the usability has been destroyed. It can look like a solid piece of gold, but if it handles like crap, it is still crap.
Where ever you go, there you are.