jonwait

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Is it facebook or an aviation website ?

Now when you clik the photographer's name, instead of showing his work, you go on a profile page.
I don't care what's on his profil, i have facebook for that, i'm interested in seeing his work!

All i know, is that i left facebook 4 yearq ago, for privacy reasons, and because i hated the fact that it's all about showing off.. I'm afraid i know what i'll have to do if also airliners.net becomes about the person, Not about the talent...
Last edited by jonwait on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonwait

Tugger

Re: Airliners.net Site Downgrade and Privacy Issues

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:19 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
I am urgently trying to find a way to completely delete my profile and all my personal information from this site. There appears to be no option for deletion, which I am sure must be illegal in most jurisdictions. Given the privacy breaches mentioned by a number of posters I want my information off this site ASAP, but no one seems able to tell me how to delete my profile ?

Just go in and change your "real name" to something else. That is the quickest fastest fix. However you do also have to specify a couple new things I think in order for you to be able to save it after the change (I had to add/complete my region info).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

MD80Nut

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Sorry folks, this site no longer works for me. The pages are hard to read, The more I try to learn and use it the more I hate it. Unless it goes back to how it was I won't be coming here much.

No so cheerful, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
I am urgently trying to find a way to completely delete my profile and all my personal information from this site. There appears to be no option for deletion, which I am sure must be illegal in most jurisdictions. Given the privacy breaches mentioned by a number of posters I want my information off this site ASAP, but no one seems able to tell me how to delete my profile ?

I think you should contact the moderators. At least in the previous site there was a way to close your profile.

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:29 pm

IADCA wrote:
MD80Nut wrote:
This "upgrade" is a disaster! Hard to navigate and find what I'm looking for.

I'll try to adapt, but the changes are horrible.

No cheers, Ralph

And now, thanks to the wonders of the developers, I and anyone else can now know your name (first, last, and middle initial in your case) with two clicks! Isn't that nice? A new interface that exposes personal data, all hard-coded right into the whole thing!

Our developers are aware of this issue and because of the privacy concerns it has been elevated as a top priority.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

IADCA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
MD80Nut wrote:
This "upgrade" is a disaster! Hard to navigate and find what I'm looking for.

I'll try to adapt, but the changes are horrible.

No cheers, Ralph

And now, thanks to the wonders of the developers, I and anyone else can now know your name (first, last, and middle initial in your case) with two clicks! Isn't that nice? A new interface that exposes personal data, all hard-coded right into the whole thing!

Our developers are aware of this issue and because of the privacy concerns it has been elevated as a top priority.

It should be a 5 minute fix. Just search the code for the identifier for that field and remove it from anything public-facing, replacing with the username field identifier. It's literally copy and paste. There's absolutely zero reason that issue ever should have occurred in the first place.

flipdewaf

This part is still a nonsense, please remove it.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:36 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Guys,

It's been mentioned before, but the forum colors are amongst our top priorities.. So are the photo issues (awkward crops, upscaling and copyright bars) and names in profiles.

So please just bear with us until it's fixed, thanks.

It's all very well but now we are in a new page and no one sees that so why not post something as a sticky to the forum which says something like:
"Issues raised by users are a-z
We are looking at resolving issues abc immediately

We are looking to resolve issues def over the next few days

Issues ghi will take a few weeks

There appears to be no current solution to problems j-z but we will keep you updated"

There may well be a lot going on behind the scenes to sort this mess out and get something of a credible website back but right now here at the front end there is very little communication as to what the A.net team and demand media are doing to sort it out. Granted the forum software isn't helping but we won't dig that anymore.

Credit to you airkas1 you have been giving some info but other than that it's shameful.

Fred

Catalin81

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Verry, verry bad new website page :(

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 pm

We are working on a separate FAQ sticky. Aiming to put it up soon.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:44 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:

I think you should contact the moderators. At least in the previous site there was a way to close your profile.

I have sent a message but had no response, no doubt they are snowed under dealing with all the complaints. In the meantime, I just want my profile gone, completely, if DM can screw up something as critical as members' privacy then I no longer have any confidence in this site and want out as quickly as possible.

toolmaven

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:47 pm

The more I struggle with the new site the more I dislike it. For starters there is no thumbnail, large, wallpaper sizing. Then the number of photo's per a page is now capped at 84. Really? With the vast number of photographs added daily, and the majority of them are " I love me" endless pictures of say.. airliners landing, the abilty to sort through the numbers is now deleted. Before I could race through 120 pictures a page, now.... even using a 30" monitor, it is daunting to view. I will give it a week or so, but if this is the future.... count me out.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:

I have sent a message but had no response, no doubt they are snowed under dealing with all the complaints. In the meantime, I just want my profile gone, completely, if DM can screw up something as critical as members' privacy then I no longer have any confidence in this site and want out as quickly as possible....sorry, for ambiguity, I didn't send it to the moderators, it's not really their responsibility, I sent it to [email protected]

kkdkazaa

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Sorry, not happy with site changes - My fav site that I visit few times a day :(
I don't like that fact that I can not see the photographer's comment/caption along with photo. This is my biggest issue.
Too much information on the page .. I know change is hard but wish they didn't changed it

fallap

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:55 pm

I like it! :) Kudos to the A(net)-Team!
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

cougar15

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 pm

you gotta fix this visible user real Name Thing. A lot of previously solid sources are going to be in all sorts of stife with employers if their identity is known. they will be fearful of posting & this will fasty reduce the Information Quality of Content, appart from breaking privacy laws in various countries. I will swallow all the changes, but cannot believe you guys let this happen. I am stunned at what 12 hours have already allowed me to find out, thankfully or sadly without any ill will - except for confirming a few perceptions I make no use of this Information, but again, I am absolutely stunned that you allowed this to happen, fix it urgently please!!!!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Theseus

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Ok, so I gave myself a day to find positive things to say.

I found one: in the past, too often I would find that an otherwise very interesting thread was polluted by an A. vs B. debate. Not anymore. Quite the opposite actually. In the most active thread, everybody seems to agree with each other. Even posters that I never saw agreeing on anything. You made peace happen! Kudos!

For the rest, well, it has been well covered. But essentially, as I am using several devices from a 9.7" iPad to a 27" iMac, I can now see that the new configuration on the 27" screen shows maybe five or seven times less information than the old one on the iPad! I now realize why I liked so much the old website: the information density meant I could open a page, not touch any control, glance at it for 30 seconds and get a lot of information. Now, even when I open a forum on my 15" laptop, I do not see one word of information; before I start to actually see something, I have to scroll down. I used not to post and only to read (so many people here know a lot more than I do related to aeronautics), and enjoyed how every pixel was bringing information. Countries, Respect rating, post number in the thread, first line of the post in the folded view, whether a post contains a picture or not... all this in a single line! Now, a single post is often enough to basically fill the screen. So I spend my time scrolling with the mouse and keyboard and scanning the whole surface of the screen with my eyes. And it is not even pretty. A disaster.

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 pm

flashmeister

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:13 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Wait, are you saying there's no paid subscription option so we can't do anything to get rid of the ads?

As far as I know, that's the way it is. However the ads should be a natural part, not intrusive. We have already acted on the report of an annoying 50 Cent ad.

You do realize that this will just make most of us long-time (and formerly paid) members just go out and install AdBlock... which is really a loss in revenue for you guys...

Disappointing decision.

1ffb2002

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm

I really hate this new site . The layout takes so much screen space that only 1.5 posts are visible. The old site was so so so so so much better. You could see so much more on one screen without scrolling. And the colors are terrible. The gray background is muddy and does not provide enough contrast to read the type. What the heck were you thinking? I will not be coming back to this site much. It gives me a headache to read.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:21 pm

If it ain't broke....don't fix it....nothing wrong with the big blue screen.....
why?

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 pm

757225 wrote:
If it ain't broke....don't fix it....nothing wrong with the big blue screen.....
why?

Because the backend of the old site was one big mess of code. even the simplest fix could result in a downed site at any moment. That's why there was a need for a new design.

aloges

same as all the posts before it, really

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:26 pm

The more I use - or try to, anyway - the new layout, the more disappointed I become. Why on God's green earth did you roll this out when there are so many issues to fix? And by surprise, too, at least to me!

Acres of wasted space.
Poor readability.
Very little A.net blue, no 747, might as well say "Demand Media - Aviation" on the top.
Gigantic forum icons everywhere that still manage to be confusing when compared to the old ones.
Real names of all users displayed.
No more automatic mouse-over info for codes. XIY-URC leaves you confused? Tough luck, go google it.
No direct links to quoted posts.
No copyright bars on the photos.
Photos cropped by - apparently - a four-year-old with scissors.

The positives do not make up for these negatives. Just like shortly after the takeover, I get the feeling that the people at Demand Media completely misunderstand what made A.net great: the attention to detail, the perfectionism, the uniqueness, the
BLUE even!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:28 pm

757225 wrote:
why?

It was broke, I keep repeating that. It was like a car that still had a shine but cost a fortune to repair and keep running. So a change was inevitable
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

1ffb2002

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:30 pm

I HATE the new site. I really sucks. I am out of here!

N202PA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

airkas1 wrote:
757225 wrote:
why?

Because the backend of the old site was one big mess of code. even the simplest fix could result in a downed site at any moment. That's why there was a need for a new design.

A new backend design does not require a completely new and confusing interface to be created. You can create a new backend while simultaneously maintaining the user interface and optimizing for mobile/tablet devices.
Last edited by N202PA on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p201055r

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 pm

The management of change is one of the great management challenges! Acceptance is made easier when users feel they have had some visible input into the new system, some "ownership". (Sorry for the buzzwords etc - from a previous life!)

My first reaction to the innovation is adverse.
I don't like it, I don't like the colour scheme, much less the front page and forum layout. Grey, small font - what genius dreamed that one up, I wonder?

That said, perhaps it will grow on me.....I hope so, because to be "run off" from airliners.net because of the new format would leave a gaping chasm and there's nothing quite as good out there to fill the gap.
Oh! And what's with the stylised 'sf' that appears as the short-cut, app-like logo when I add a link to the front page on my iPad? Can we return to the reduced sized type of screen-shot? Please?
Last edited by p201055r on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tacobell101

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:35 pm

It works now. Thank You

diverted

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 pm

cougar15 wrote:
you gotta fix this visible user real Name Thing. A lot of previously solid sources are going to be in all sorts of stife with employers if their identity is known. they will be fearful of posting & this will fasty reduce the Information Quality of Content, appart from breaking privacy laws in various countries. I will swallow all the changes, but cannot believe you guys let this happen. I am stunned at what 12 hours have already allowed me to find out, thankfully or sadly without any ill will - except for confirming a few perceptions I make no use of this Information, but again, I am absolutely stunned that you allowed this to happen, fix it urgently please!!!!

No shit. I logged out and figured I was done here, but a friend gave me the heads up about the name thing. Seriously. You have no right to broadcast my personal details, nor anyone else's.
edit: cleaned up the language a bit
Last edited by diverted on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabreHog

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I understand that many people worked very hard on this upgrade, and that it was the result of a lot of effort. But I cannot stand by and look at something that is so broken in comparison to what it once was.

One of the aspects of the site as it was that I enjoyed the most was how all the photos were organized. All the information about them was contained in a compact area, where it could be seen right away by anyone looking at the image. I cannot understand why forcing anyone to scroll down just to see basic info like location and aircraft type is in any sense an "improvement." I could make correction suggestions right from the search results, and now I've got several extra clicks to go through. What's more, there have been more categories added that don't seem to serve any purpose that wasn't already taken care of by the old design.

I visited A.net virtually every day before, both to see new photos added to the database, and often to offer corrections to information where it was needed. Indeed, I actually put quite a lot of time into researching and submitting data corrections before, and now it feels like all that time was basically wasted. The abundance of aircraft data was useful even to me in sorting my own images; I've often used this site in lieu of the various civil registry databases, because a single search displayed all the info I need about an individual aircraft, especially with stuff with long "marketing designations." Now a search only displays the generic info, so I have to click on an image, then scroll down just to see what one click did before. I can't imagine this is how other photographers want to get pageviews; it certainly isn't how I would want them.

What bothers me most is that very little consideration seems to have been put into the actual content of the photographic side of the site. I don't want to sound like I'm some expert, because I'm not. I'm not anywhere near as good as many of the people here. Nevertheless, I can't understand the mindset behind this, because, for me at least, the photos are why I came to this site in the first place. The community of photographers who submit their work to this site are at least in part responsible for its continued popularity. So to forget something so basic as the bookend watermark in such a major site revamp suggests that whoever was doing it had very little consideration for the work that we've shared here, and the time and effort we put into creating it. It demonstrates an amazing lack of respect for what all of us have done for this site over its lifetime. And to "forget" and accidentally broadcast user's real names-we have photographers from Iran, for goodness sake! How could you not have considered that might affect the actual personal safety of parts of the userbase!

Finally, I don't get why this side needed "social media" aspects added to it? That's not what it was meant for in the first place. I don't want this to try and pretend to be Facebook, because it isn't Facebook. It's an aviation photography website. I don't need to "like" an image, because I could just add it to one of my favorites albums, or give it a rating. I don't need to "Follow" someone, because all I had to do before was just click on their name, and I could see all their photos quite easily.

And most of all....the images aren't even displaying properly! For a website focused on photography....how could you possibly not have made any consideration for image quality?

I've really enjoyed the time I spent using this site, and I've learned a lot from submitting my photos and having some rejected. This site has helped me to improve as a photographer. But if these changes are permanent, I cannot see myself adding any more of my work, especially if it isn't going to be properly copyright protected, or displayed with the image quality that I worked so hard for. Indeed, if it continues like this, I may have to withdraw what I have submitted here. I hope this won't be the case, but given how internet feedback tends to work I don't feel very confident otherwise.

BK117

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Definitely a huge step backwards! All advantages over other aviation photography sites are gone. Now we have bad photo quality with poor website layout... just like all the other pages...
This Website is not longer an option for me. It's a pity. :(

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:55 pm

diverted wrote:
cougar15 wrote:

No shit. I logged out and figured I was done here, but a friend gave me the heads up about the name thing. Seriously. You have no right to broadcast my personal details, nor anyone else's.

This issue is of the highest priority and is being corrected as we speak.

Matt B
Airliners.net Support / Customer Service
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

DoubleUgly

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:57 pm

The airliners ribbon with photographer's name has been vanished from the bottom of the photos. The same for the watermark on earlier uploaded photos. I'm not happy with that and I won't upload anymore until they will fix it. Of course I don't like the new page...

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:58 pm

[quote="SabreHog"][/quote]
Just to clarify, we did not forget the copyright bar, it was there all the time during Beta and Alpha, however something went wrong in the final transfer from the old site and they disappeared. They will be back.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

airkas1
Head Screener

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:59 pm

DoubleUgly wrote:
The airliners ribbon with photographer's name has been vanished from the bottom of the photos. The same for the watermark on earlier uploaded photos. I'm not happy with that and I won't upload anymore until they will fix it. Of course I don't like the new page...

Sigh...
Please read the issues FAQ in site related. This is a well-known issue and the developers are currently working on fixing this.

blackbird1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:00 pm

[quote="Psych"]Please can I check - as a previously described 'First Class' member, is it correct that with the new site I am seeing adverts?

If so, that is a massive issue.

Paul

Hi, fully agreed.
We were willing to pay for seeing no adds. Actually we did pay for seeing no adds and giving a.net some sort of support.
Now I see adds everywhere, more than anything else. It is terrible.
I am disappointed.
Do we get a refund for the remaining and paid months of membership or will it be reinstalled, when things are calming down?
Gerhard
Last edited by blackbird1 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be flying!

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:01 pm

DoubleUgly wrote:

This is being addressed. The copyright bars and watermarks worked flawlessly during an extensive beta testing. Something unforeseen happened when the site went live. This is a top priority for he development team, as the rights of the photographers against piracy are a huge concern for Airliners.net, both today and throughout the years.

Matt B

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm

BK117 wrote:
Definitely a huge step backwards! All advantages over other aviation photography sites are gone. Now we have bad photo quality with poor website layout... just like all the other pages...
This Website is not longer an option for me. It's a pity. :(

We are aware of the issues regarding photo compression and stretching. This issue did come up during beta testing and a fix was implemented which worked flawlessly during the remaining beta testing. Unfortunately this issue has reappeared and it is currently being addressed by the development team at Demand Media.

This topic is covered in the FAQ. Please follow there for updates.

Matt B

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:08 pm

blackbird1 wrote:
Psych wrote:
Please can I check - as a previously described 'First Class' member, is it correct that with the new site I am seeing adverts?

Paul

Hi, fully agreed.
We were willing to pay for seeing no adds. Actually we did pay for seeing no adds and giving a.net some sort of support.
I am disappointed.
Do we get a refund for the remaining and paid months of membership or will it be reinstalled, when things are calming down?
Gerhard

First Class and Premium were no longer offered beginning about 9 months ago. If you purchased a FC membership and still had remaining months, please email us with your details. Most users were extended their FC membership on a complimentary, free of charge basis to bridge the gap between 9 months ago and the new site which launched yesterday.

Matt B

DoubleUgly

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:10 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DoubleUgly wrote:

This is being addressed. The copyright bars and watermarks worked flawlessly during an extensive beta testing. Something unforeseen happened when the site went live. This is a top priority for he development team, as the rights of the photographers against piracy are a huge concern for Airliners.net, both today and throughout the years.

Matt B

Nice to read this, thanks for your answer...

Theseus

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Just saw the real name thing.

This is shocking and inexcusable.

I did not know about Demand Media before I saw this thread, so I know very little about how this forum is ran.
However, I would say at this point that, if the management team is even slightly serious, responsible, and professional, they should pull the website offline until the basic things are resolved. I am not talking about the look here, but the copyright and privacy things should be viewed as sacred. Violating them may do harm to people who did trust this site. It also show a total lack of ethics. Disgusting!

TheRedBaron

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 pm

First of all thank for the tremendous effort.

A few suggestions sorely needed and I think they are quite doable:

The show post tables must be changed, I think if they are more compact, the avatar is rectangular instead of circular I would work better and not waste space. Also on the you could easily add a show country flag and some user stats, alongside with a member name post date and date of membership.

The thread table could be a lot smaller in the wasted space and the text could be a little bit bigger, also the washed out colors are not great, more contrast would be welcome, and also the old blue color was nice. Also the quotes and graphics for images etc are very large . Keep in mind the old board was incredibly compact, so its understandable that acres and acres of white space make this more difficult to swallow.... I will give you more ideas, but basically this are in my humble opinion the main things to address.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

tristar501

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Why cutting off the photos? When I look at the front page I see photos where the nose or tail is missing, that can't be the new layout.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Theseus wrote:
Just saw the real name thing.

This is shocking and inexcusable.

I did not know about Demand Media before I saw this thread, so I know very little about how this forum is ran.
However, I would say at this point that, if the management team is even slightly serious, responsible, and professional, they should pull the website offline until the basic things are resolved. I am not talking about the look here, but the copyright and privacy things should be viewed as sacred. Violating them may do harm to people who did trust this site. It also show a total lack of ethics. Disgusting!

Absolutely, the only responsible action at this point is to take the site offline until the privacy breaches have been fixed. I am amazed that Demand Media are prepared to take the huge legal risk of keeping the site online at the moment.

diverted

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
diverted wrote:
cougar15 wrote:

This issue is of the highest priority and is being corrected as we speak.

Matt B

If it was highest priority it should have been sorted in the beta mode. Things like this is why we have no faith in the back end/behind the scenes. This shouldn't be a "highest priority we'll deal with it" this is a never should have happened and someone cocked up really bad. The site should have been taken offline in that event. You really could have compromised some people's careers. Oh well, more reason for the actual aviation professionals to keep quiet, and allow children to bicker over A vs B etc.

Part147

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 pm

I like that Airliners has been updated, looks new and fresh... It's a shame I can't modify the background colours, text font/size.

I found white text on a dark background much better to read, it would be great if I could change it myself! :geek:

I really dislike the number and size of the on-screen ads, nearly 50% of the window is taken up by them! :roll:
It's better to ask a stupid question during training, rather than make a REALLY stupid mistake later on!

sbworcs

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 pm

FlyPIJets wrote:
Tried to update my email - email link back returned "The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error". "

Forums dropdown menu has no link to "site related" forum.

Am getting the same thing - have tried twice now
The best way forwards is upwards!

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Tugger wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:

Just go in and change your "real name" to something else. That is the quickest fastest fix. However you do also have to specify a couple new things I think in order for you to be able to save it after the change (I had to add/complete my region info).

Tugg

Thanks for that, but I can't figure out how to do that... when I go to profile it seems the only thing it will allow me to update is my date of birth

blackbird1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 pm

First Class and Premium were no longer offered beginning about 9 months ago. If you purchased a FC membership and still had remaining months, please email us with your details. Most users were extended their FC membership on a complimentary, free of charge basis to bridge the gap between 9 months ago and the new site which launched yesterday.

Matt B
Airliners.net Support / Customer Service[/quote]

Dear Matt,
thanks for your fast reply and clarification, very much appreciated in these troubled times. I'll check and I am sure you are right.
Adblock activated from now on. ;)
Good luck with all the improvements.
Gerhard
I'd rather be flying!

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:36 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
blackbird1 wrote:
Psych wrote:
Please can I check - as a previously described 'First Class' member, is it correct that with the new site I am seeing adverts?

Paul

Hi, fully agreed.
I am disappointed.
Gerhard

Matt B

I think you are skirting the real issue here Matt which is more to do with the advertising and weather there will be an option to browse without distraction?

Fred

aloges

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:39 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
Absolutely, the only responsible action at this point is to take the site offline until the privacy breaches have been fixed. I am amazed that Demand Media are prepared to take the huge legal risk of keeping the site online at the moment.

I just found out that you can even see the real names of some of the people who were permanently banned in the great purges a couple of years ago. So not only did Demand Media fail to delete their data when their accounts were disabled, they also get another neat little kick up the backside since they - presumably - cannot even log in to remove their names. Classy.

TAKE THE SITE OFFLINE UNTIL YOU FIX THIS!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.