Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JohnKrist
Head Support

Re: Airliners.net Site Upgrade Announcement & Discussion

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I think you are skirting the real issue here Matt which is more to do with the advertising and weather there will be an option to browse without distraction?

Fred

As of now there are no plans to reinstate membership levels like Premium (which everyone has now) or First Class

diverted

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:44 pm

TAKE THE SITE OFFLINE UNTIL YOU FIX THIS!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:44 pm

[quote="aloges"][/quote]
Thank you for finding that, will add to bugs list. However, taking the site down is a management decision and won't happen because you go Mike Tyson and write in large red letters ;)

TWA1985

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm

My only complaint is that there is too much white and not enough to catch my eye.

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:47 pm

I feel like a news reporter quizzing a politician, but you have skirted the question in the same way Matt did, it wasn't really about membership levels its about adverts, will there be options for no adverse, either through subscriptions or otherwise? Simple yes or no.

Fred

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:49 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I feel like a news reporter quizzing a politician, but you have skirted the question in the same way Matt did, it wasn't really about membership levels its about adverts, will there be options for no adverse, either through subscriptions or otherwise? Simple yes or no.

Fred

I wrote "There are NO plans" and it has everything to do with membership levels as a First Class subscription meant no ads
Last edited by JohnKrist on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
aloges wrote:

Thank you for finding that, will add to bugs list. However, taking the site down is a management decision and won't happen because you go Mike Tyson and write in large red letters ;)

I guess Demand Media are happy to deal with the legal consequences of their inaction ... in the meantime, no one has responded to my simple requirement that my profile and all my personal information be deleted from this insecure website

aloges

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 pm

JohnKrist wrote:

All the other points that people have made about the risks of displaying the real names have been ignored, so I thought I'd try this. Thanks for the "helpful" reply. :roll:

AlphaBravo

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
Where did the photo upload que go?

Also missing the que. :-(

Some of my queued photos are not screened yet. Even they should be on turn now (uploaded 9 or 10 days ago).

kiwiandrew

Re: qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm

aloges wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

All the other points that people have made about the risks of displaying the real names have been ignored, so I thought I'd try this. Thanks for the "helpful" reply. :roll:

I have already sent two emails to legal@demandmedia.com without any response ( the first was nearly 24 hours ago when I was first made aware of the privacy issues) - completely ignored, which says it all really.

alasizon

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:54 pm

I had heard about FC membership being ended (despite it still being offered on the site the day before the relaunch). However, the ending of everyone's premium membership is incorrect. The original T&C for the premium membership included a successor clause that bound all further owners of Airliners to honor the lifetime clause of those premium memberships.

I really wonder if Demand Media would be willing to part with the site and sell it back to a group of people who actually care about the members of this site and what the site truly means.

For me, I no longer can login on my LG G5 despite being able to yesterday, I always get an invalid credentials error message. Likewise, on my phone and tablet, the menu button on the header bar does not work when I am inside the forum. Also, the header bar inside the forum (the gray one) is almost twice the size of the regular blue one for no apparent reason.

Obviously we won't roll back to the old forum software or site. Perhaps as a compromise, we can mirror the settings and some of the spacing from the old photo display pages, forum display and use the old homepage layout for the homepage. I'm not denying improvements were made, but if we retained the old Sam Chui 747 header bar and layout on the homepage only, perhaps this would go a little smoother? While I love seeing the top 5 pictures, I don't like that they take up the entire screen on my iPad mini.

Janek777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DoubleUgly wrote:
The airliners ribbon with photographer's name has been vanished from the bottom of the photos. The same for the watermark on earlier uploaded photos. I'm not happy with that and I won't upload anymore until they will fix it. Of course I don't like the new page...

This is being addressed. The copyright bars and watermarks worked flawlessly during an extensive beta testing. Something unforeseen happened when the site went live. This is a top priority for he development team, as the rights of the photographers against piracy are a huge concern for Airliners.net, both today and throughout the years.

Matt B
Airliners.net Support / Customer Service

Ok, so in the meantime why don't you disable the photo section of the website or disable image viewing? Even if your fixing the issue, those who want to download/steal the photos have an easy 24+ hours passed already to do so.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 pm

aloges wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

They have not been ignored, we have replied numerous times that it has top priority.

And I never learn, humorous comments just does not work, will not attempt to be fgunny again

CaptSkibi

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:57 pm

All this work and still no sarcasm indicator.

This isn't an upgrade or downgrade. It's an upgauge - in bandwidth required! You have drastically reduced the RASM while increasing our CASM. I won't be visiting this site at all on mobile anymore, and I will certainly visit a lot less in general. Eyesore, too much scrolling, clicking. And what's with the -0-12 after the photo id in the file name?

IADCA

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
aloges wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

They have not been ignored, we have replied numerous times that it has top priority.

And I never learn, humorous comments just does not work, will not attempt to be fgunny again

Most people don't find their privacy to be a matter of humor. Good luck to developers on getting it done quickly.
Last edited by IADCA on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airkas1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

AlphaBravo wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:

Some of my queued photos are not screened yet. Even they should be on turn now (uploaded 9 or 10 days ago).

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1335403

For now, screening is suspended except for some crew images (to keep the homepage populated). These images will be deleted once we can resume normal screening.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:00 pm

AlphaBravo wrote:
canyonblue17 wrote:

The screening queue is here:
https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-cor ... /screening
You will find it by clicking your profile image, top right corner, choose Photo Corner, and click Screening in the header where it says "Accepted Appealed Rejected Screening"

Expect a little longer screening times right now, and I guess that the screeners pick crew photos primarily to check for bugs and other errors.

A332DTW

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 pm

I apologize if this has been already answered, and more than likely I missed it as it is difficult to read. Is there a log in button anywhere? The only way for me to log on is to click on reply.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 pm

A332DTW wrote:
I apologize if this has been already answered, and more than likely I missed it as it is difficult to read. Is there a log in button anywhere? The only way for me to log on is to click on reply.

There is a "sign in" in the top right corner. On mobile there is a menu icon in the upper right corner, that slides in a menu where you can choose "Sign In"

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

I wrote "There are NO plans" and it has everything to do with membership levels as a First Class subscription meant no ads

Thanks john wasn't too hard now was it, assuming that membership levels equate to what they did a year ago is a big assumption seeing what has happened in the last 24hrs to this place. We'll all just have to get more acquainted with add blockers.

Fred

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:07 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
aloges wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Since posts are apparently not being ignored, can I have the courtesy of a reply advising how I can completely delete my profile and all associated personal information.

This should be something I can easily do online and the sooner I can do it, the sooner I will go away and stop posting

Kiwiflyer

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 pm

I am simply staggered at the arrogance of the site owners/developers at this juncture. Personal information that was supposedly confidential is being displayed and copyright potentially flouted and the very best they can say is fixing these issues is a top priority.

These issues should never ever have occurred. These actions have put posters who were anonymous for good reason at risk. Not so much as an apology even.

As I previously stated, and I would simply direct users to my original post, (if there was a number rather than having to embed it), the moment these serious issues were identified this site should have been taken down.

My own name was visible. This company should be hoping no-one starts proceedings against them as these data breaches are serious and could have serious implications.

The moderators, (we are guessing they are such as there is no identifier), are almost acting like we should be thankful they are now aware of the problem and trying to sort it and that it's almost a hassle for them having to re-read the same issues from users again and again. Hang on here, your users actually uncovered your total lack of awareness of these major issues. Are you (the company) aware how serious these issues are?

You introduced this shambles saying you had basically worked for months tirelessly to give us this piece of wonderment. Obviously not much time was spent during those months testing some fairly basic functionality, which users discovered and uncovered in no time at all.

Sorry to be harsh but are you seriously saying you had no idea of this prior to your own users identifying these serious but basic problems? That says everything and shows the complete lack of care and accountability taken with this relaunch. I am with IADCA and kiwiandrew 100% with their concerns. I have seriously lost faith not only that this situation was able to occur, but how it has been handled, and that there aren't other serious issues yet to be uncovered.

Remember, at this point many users may still be blissfully unaware of what has occurred as they simply haven't logged in as yet or found the relevant information.

To date it's taken nearly all day just for a separate topic to be opened by a moderator (or whoever it is) simply indicating what issues are being worked on. After all, it's not like it would be easy to find the odd unidentifiable random post from a moderator in this thread!

I realise you guys are firefighting and it's probably been a tough old day, but sorry, you created this situation, and loyal users are justifiably disenchanted, upset and feel most let down at the result.

Okay, for now solutions need to be found, quickly, but when you get chance to take breath you really need to take a long hard look at what has occurred here and how this was ever allowed to happen, then somehow rebuild trust. And that is going to be one of the toughest tasks of all.
Last edited by Kiwiflyer on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lzdimitar

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Just... the site is awful..

Please bring back the old version
Last edited by lzdimitar on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scorpio

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Even though I click the 'stay signed in' button when signing in, I'm not staying signed in for long. I've already needed to sign in again twice.

And as aothers have already said, the site looks a lot worse than it did: difficult to navigate, and very very ... bland.
And where are the flags next to usernames? I loved that you could easily see where everyone was from. Also, nothing to show that posters are crew members.

Not impressed!

A332DTW

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
A332DTW wrote:

There is a "sign in" in the top right corner. On mobile there is a menu icon in the upper right corner, that slides in a menu where you can choose "Sign In"

Thank you. I've tried clicking on that 3 bar menu icon several times, and apparently it only works if you click the very far right of it. Not very responsive. Now to see if I can get rid of this skull icon. Clicking on change avatar does nothing, maybe this menu will have better luck.

slider

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Theseus wrote:
Just saw the real name thing.

This is shocking and inexcusable.

I did not know about Demand Media before I saw this thread, so I know very little about how this forum is ran.
However, I would say at this point that, if the management team is even slightly serious, responsible, and professional, they should pull the website offline until the basic things are resolved. I am not talking about the look here, but the copyright and privacy things should be viewed as sacred. Violating them may do harm to people who did trust this site. It also show a total lack of ethics. Disgusting!

This is a valid point.

Beyond the utter, complete shitshow failure of this site redesign and relaunch, the fact there is a breach of trust here that wasn't even contemplated by the developers/owners represents a serious lack of integrity.

I'm probably done altogether here.

I'm sensing a real opportunity for someone to create a competitive site to supplant what this has now become.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Re: qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnmveryfunny

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:19 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
Since posts are apparently not being ignored, can I have the courtesy of a reply advising how I can completely delete my profile and all associated personal information.

I wish you would give us some more time to fix stuff than leaving less than 24 hours after launch. However, the user admin does not allow me to change you to deactivated. Will check with devs.

kulverstukas

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Did anyone believe that photo part of upgrade - photos loose aspect ratio, photos get upsized larger than original size, inability to edit or delete queued photos - was tested and was OK until "site became live"?

Sorry guys, I don't know how much did you paid for this redesign but it's definitely money wasted.

I repeat my question - how can I delete my profile and remove all my photo from this site?

Jalap

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Sorry to say I find few things an improvement over the old site.

First the overall look. Imo, A.Net is the most qualitative, reliable and a bit exclusive website for aviation enthousiasts. It's look and feel should support those qualities. The old website, albeit a bit old-fashioned, did support those qualities. This new look and feel is just like any other website. The forums look like any other forum, and as you know most online forums are full of crap. You don't want to look like one of those! You want your forum to express quality and exclusivity.

Apart from the look and feel, as a desktop user I am annoyed by the huge amount of unused and poorly used space. Look at the forums, the largest font is an endless repetition of the topic title. An avatar is pointless to repeat in a thread. Show an avatar on a user's profile page, great. But in a serious discussion about aviation, what's the added value of an avatar? They'll mostly take attention away from the content we all cherish so much. In a thread, I want to know who the author is, and what the author has to say. All the rest is overhead.

Then the photo pages, the true treasure of A.Net. Those are rather okay. Some improvement remains welcome, like I think airline photo's always look best on a dark background.
The photo search engine is a welcome relief, as the old one was one thing I always avoided.
What is weird: if I query something on the search engine, I get 3 photos per row. But when I click on something (say an airport), then I get only 1 per row. And the search screen by default always should be basic instead of advanced. I'm not even sure if the search options should be there at all when you're browsing through photo's.

So, as quick fixes I urge to eliminate as much as possible useless space in the forums. Those are about information!
And I propose to return to a dark background.

luv2cattlecall

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Does the real name impact non-photographers? If so, what can we do to hide our names until the issue is officially fixed? Can we request for a temp. ban until the issue is fixed? I'll be happy to start an A vs B flamewar if needed in order to earn that temp ban!

Will the new site be compatible with Tapatalk? That will take care of my two main complaints: Information density and text contrast.

sandyb123

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:27 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:
aloges wrote:

I guess Demand Media are happy to deal with the legal consequences of their inaction ... in the meantime, no one has responded to my simple requirement that my profile and all my personal information be deleted from this insecure website

Demand media have consistently demonstrated they don't give two hoots about us loyal users (I'm 9 years in). All they care about is €€€€€€.

As soon as the way back machine is back up I am checking the terms as I distinctly remember that the legal system said that the site would forever be ad-free for first class members. Taking membership options away or not renewing as a president does not infer waiver of the clause btw.

Sandyb123

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:27 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:

I wish you would give us some more time to fix stuff than leaving less than 24 hours after launch. However, the user admin does not allow me to change you to deactivated. Will check with devs.

This is a privacy issue. It is a serious breach of ethics and probably of law ( certainly in this country) - it is NOT something which can wait for a fix

Also, I need to make it clear that deactivation is NOT sufficient. I require complete REMOVAL of my profile and all personal information.

I would be more happy to do it myself ( it should be part of the basis functionality of any site) but I do not have access to do so.

Have the owners of the site been made aware of this serious issue ?

jetmatt777

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 pm

kiwiandrew wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:

This is a privacy issue. It is a serious breach of ethics and probably of law ( certainly in this country) - it is NOT something which can wait for a fix

Also, I need to make it clear that deactivation is NOT sufficient. I require complete REMOVAL of my profile and all personal information.

I would be more happy to do it myself ( it should be part of the basis functionality of any site) but I do not have access to do so.

Yes they are aware. Yes they are working as we speak to fix this issue.

Matt B.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:31 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
As soon as the way back machine is back up I am checking the terms as I distinctly remember that the legal system said that the site would forever be ad-free for first class members. Taking membership options away or not renewing as a president does not infer waiver of the clause btw.

Sandyb123

Said nothing like that to my knowledge, what it did say though was that "We" had the right to change the service, with or without giving notice to the user base.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:37 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Matt B.

That's nice, but just as with previous replies it doesn't answer my question

How do I ensure the complete removal of my profile and all my associated personal information from this website ?

Do I actually need to 'go legal' and get my lawyer involved ? I would prefer not to, and I assume DM would prefer me not to either.

terrywade

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:38 pm

I appreciate perhaps the last site needed a bit of updating, but in my opinion it worked fine, looked nice, why change something that worked fine and was easy to navigate around?

My first impressions of the new site is it looks far less professional and I'm disappointed
in what I'm seeing!

sandyb123

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:39 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
As soon as the way back machine is back up I am checking the terms as I distinctly remember that the legal terms said that the site would forever be ad-free for first class members. Taking membership options away or not renewing as a president does not infer waiver of the clause btw.

Sandyb123

Said nothing like that to my knowledge, what it did say though was that "We" had the right to change the service, with or without giving notice to the user base.

Time will tell as the internet archive done not lie. And evidence is better than 'recollection'. If I am wrong then I will say so and apologise.

But if I am right, I might just test this in a consumer claims civil court in the Uk which would set a legal precedent for some class action in the US? It costs me zero and you have to physically repress yourself or I win by default.

Either way you've pissed off a lot of people.

Sandyb123
Last edited by sandyb123 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
kiwiandrew wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

Matt B.

Incidentally, I would encourage as many members as possible to screen capture this post. In the event that legal proceedings become necessary it will be useful as evidence that Demand Media are aware of the privacy issue but have chosen to leave the website up and running in spite of this

MAH4546

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 pm

I have essentially stopped participating here except to come here and complain. An embarrassment, and I fully expect forum activity will be dropping dramatically.

IADFCO

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:42 pm

The new and "improved" site looks horrible, for all the reasons hundreds of posters before me pointed out -- too much white space, hard to read grey type on white background, too few posts per page, too few topics per page, no way to expand/collapse blocks of topics, no way to check for new posts and so on.

One piece of good news (for me): AdBlock seems to work very well on my browser because I don't see any of the annoying ads that other posters (rightly) complain about.

Another piece of good news could be that now the cost of participating to the forums is zero, but now with the new site you get what you pay for.

Bring back the old look and feel!

ret64

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Not happy, I wan't the old site back :twisted: ....., well, that's not going to happen, so I will learn to live with it.

glider1

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:48 pm

What once was a serious site about aviation has now become a bling bling collection of adverts and a clicking spree, despite being a FC member!
Bad work and a lost chance!
This here is not only a missed approach, thats useless and a shame!
Sorry, but this is the beginning of th end!

Over and out!

aloges

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:53 pm

JohnKrist wrote:

I'm sure that's a relief to everyone who finds out about this later on and will never know if their employer and/or some watchful authority knows. :roll:

JohnKrist wrote:

Dear Lord. You actually believe this is a laughing matter. Are you even aware that there are people who take actual risks when they go out with their DSLRs and long lenses? To some people, anonymity is security.

I'm pretty sure you don't know how it feels to be stopped by e.g. an Iranian airport security guard and get told to hand over your iPhone, so let me tell you: it's not nice. Even if the guy knows that an iPhone doesn't have a telephoto lens and lets you off after deleting a couple of snapshots.

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 pm

IADFCO wrote:
One piece of good news (for me): AdBlock seems to work very well on my browser because I don't see any of the annoying ads that other posters (rightly) complain about.

Never used blocking software before (never had to till this happened) can you post a link to the one you use or pm me with it if the mods don't like it here.

Fred

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm

aloges wrote:
Dear Lord. You actually believe this is a laughing matter. Are you even aware that there are people who take actual risks when they go out with their DSLRs and long lenses? To some people, anonymity is security.

I'm pretty sure you don't know how it feels to be stopped by e.g. an Iranian airport security guard and get told to hand over your iPhone, so let me tell you: it's not nice. Even if the guy knows that an iPhone doesn't have a telephoto lens and lets you off after deleting a couple of snapshots.

You do not know me, so you should not make assumptions about me or other people you do not know. I have had my camera taken away from me, and a gun put to my stomach for taking pics in Srebrenica during the war.

LatAmFlyer

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

Never used blocking software before (never had to till this happened) can you post a link to the one you use or pm me with it if the mods don't like it here.

Fred

http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai ... idom?hl=en
or
http://adblockplus.org/
or
http://getadblock.com/

I don't see a single ad.

SAMike

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Please add more infos to the thumbnails, and change the rollover effects over the datas.

sandyb123

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:11 pm

You do not know me, so you should not make assumptions about me or other people you do not know. I have had my camera taken away from me, and a gun put to my stomach for taking pics in Srebrenica during the war.

So you should realise how important protecting the identities of people are on this site.

There are many whistle blowers and insiders on this site who have rightly or wrongly shared privileged information here over the years.

And in one careless act you have exposed their identities for all to see.

Theoretically you could have cost them their employment as a result but your response is to make immature jokes about it.

Demand media and its associates are pathetic. I've said it before but it was deleted. I've said it now but no doubt this will be deleted too.

Sandyb123 (that's not my real name btw ;-) )

kiwiandrew

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi all,

Although I am seriously angry with Demand Media, I don't think we should get personal with the Mods... they are just the meat in the sandwich. Remember they are volunteers and they are not responsible for this fiasco.

Demand Media on the other hand.... well, I am getting very close to contacting my lawyer regarding the serious privacy breach issue which they ( not the mods) have failed to address in a timely manner

JohnKrist
Head Support

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 pm

sandyb123 wrote:

Theoretically you could have cost them their employment as a result but your response is to make immature jokes about it.

I didn't, I made ajoke about writing in huge red letters that we should take site down, a reference to Mike Tyson who said "Cause I said so, that's why!"